PDA

View Full Version : Cooldowns on potions

Royce
02-05-2011, 02:50 PM
People have talke about the crazy nature of pot use in this game since the early days. I think maybe it's time to give it a tweak. As mos people realize, you can basically survive indefinitely, and on maps well above your level, simply by mashing the health pot button. I know it's been suggested before, but I think it's time for the community and the devs to give this serious consideration. A small cooldown period after using a potion, before you could use another, would make the game more challenging (more fun), and would lead to better group play since teams would have to rely on good tanking and healing more.

Phoenixking
02-05-2011, 02:52 PM
How about making it an option cause I need my health pots and I think it does have a cool down of 0.2

Kossi
02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
on runescape, i almost never die..who would want to? with all the damage mobs do, having a cooldown is probably one of the worst ideas ever suggested

Phoenixking
02-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Yes! Exactly kossi

Royce
02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes! Exactly kossi

Yes that is exactly right ;) that's the core issue. People who want the game to be an easy joke. Good players would do fine with a short cooldown, and bad players would learn to play better. Honestly, how is not dying something to be proud of when all it involves is rapidly tapping one spot on the screen over and over?

Phoenixking
02-05-2011, 02:59 PM
.......lol sometimes you get mobbed and you don't want to die! Ever thought of the elite immortals they need the pot when there mobbed! Remember mobbing!

Phoenixking
02-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Lol stupid edi that before you get caught if you read the rules you can say that word....
And go to elite royce you don't even need to use pots that will make you yappy

Lesrider
02-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Thing is, pot spamming does come in handy when you're in a crappy team and you're the only one pulling your weight.

chrononh
02-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Royce, in an ideal world, that would be awesome, with all bears tanking and all mages healing. In the real world, there is always a point where they're still learning how to tank and that healing is an essential part of an enchantress' role. During those times, the rest of us would really rather not die. I think you were the one who said (paraphrased) dead players deal no damage.

If implemented, this will totally kill pick up groups.

Sanatorium
02-05-2011, 03:29 PM
TERRIBLE suggestion, sorry.
I like them how they are, they already have a cooldown.
Even with pots I still get mob'd and killed since people decide to leech off me.

Royce
02-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Guys it's not like I'm suggesting getting rid of pots. If people really don't think they could adjust, then I'll have to deal with that, but I do find it pretty sad...

FluffNStuff
02-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Pots are I think 80 health, so constant spamming is essentially 80 h/s. And while you can still get killed this way, it is mad over powered. Not sure the best solution. Maybe make em 20 h/s over 4 seconds, not stackable?

Lawlessomega
02-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Thing is, pot spamming does come in handy when you're in a crappy team and you're the only one pulling your weight.

I agree with this completely, sometimes I never have a need to pot at all, it all depends on the team you play with.

King Richie
02-05-2011, 06:13 PM
I would love for even a 1 second cool down .. Guys even just try it and if it's hated change it back , just give it a shot :)

KingFu
02-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I'll support his idea 100%, once most mages learn that heal isn't only there for themselves.

Phoenixking
02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I would love for even a 1 second cool down .. Guys even just try it and if it's hated change it back , just give it a shot :)

It has a cool down 0.5 that's half a second

Kossi
02-05-2011, 06:25 PM
potion cool down rate is good now. dont change it

Necrobane
02-05-2011, 06:31 PM
@ Phoenixking it's too short it makes no sense for mages to have such an over powered heal when no-body needs it. I reckon that even better, you make the harder mobs and boss's easier and you remove pots, I understand that this would leave many people unhappy due to the fact that at some levels mana pots are necessities. As an alternative the devs could add food and drink in the places potions sit. They would return hp and mana over time when standing still. This would bring a whole aspect of saving mana on boss fights ect into the game. Devs, think about the imbalance in the long run.

Royce
02-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I'll support his idea 100%, once most mages learn that heal isn't only there for themselves.

Part of why I think this important is that currently potions are a crutch. Mages don't have to heal if they just mash pots (that's not cost effective but players don't always seem to think that through). The big issue would be that tanks actually tanking would be important (as it should be IMO), but I really think there are a lot of tanks out there just waiting for a chance to do their job. Basically, I think removing the pot spamming crutch would just lead to better teamwork and smarter play.

Phoenixking
02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
@ Phoenixking it's too short it makes no sense for mages to have such an over powered heal when no-body needs it. I reckon that even better, you make the harder mobs and boss's easier and you remove pots, I understand that this would leave many people unhappy due to the fact that at some levels mana pots are necessities. As an alternative the devs could add food and drink in the places potions sit. They would return hp and mana over time when standing still. This would bring a whole aspect of saving mana on boss fights ect into the game. Devs, think about the imbalance in the long run.

Ahem...ever heard of h/s and m/s that's basically the same thing so there's no difference and 0.5 is the actual cool down of pots

Yellowhawk
02-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Yeah there is a very small cooldown, a longer cooldown would just suck because it's still very possible to die. Remember when AO was popular? Lvl 50s were still having a tough time on AO! Pots don't need a cooldown longer than maybe 1-2 secs.

KingFu
02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Only problem is mages would never learn to heal any more than they do now. Tanks will die, due to lack of healing, then mages, atleast suckish ones, would blame the tank, then die, then blame their death on their squishiness.

Royce
02-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Only problem is mages would never learn to heal any more than they do now. Tanks will die, due to lack of healing, then mages, atleast suckish ones, would blame the tank, then die, then blame their death on their squishiness.

I disagree. It's simple self preservation. If mages couodn't spam pots, I am sure that most of them would find heal ;)
Not to mention the two least used skills in the game (archer snd warrior restores) might actually see some use for a change...

powerandintent
02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Don't like this idea. I usually take all the aggro from bosses and with a cooldown on pots I'd be on the floor more than I'd be alive.

StompArtist
02-11-2011, 12:51 PM
meh non issue... If pot spamming is the only way for you to get through a level your doing something else wrong.

Echelong
02-11-2011, 12:55 PM
on runescape, i almost never die..who would want to? with all the damage mobs do, having a cooldown is probably one of the worst ideas ever suggested

What Kossi says its true sometimes even spamming pots you can't keep yourself alive. Cooldown even for .1 seconds could mean a sure death. Enchantress aren't a pure healing class they are more of a hybrid than anything else and our heal has a cooldown itself and its not enough to keep people alive on its own.