PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Addiction-My story

obee
11-01-2014, 09:47 PM
About a year ago, my life was going well, I was playing soccer, acing tests, and having fun with friends and family. I enjoyed video games as well like AL, FIFA, NHL, clash of clans, etc. One day, I was gaming for almost 7 hours on a rainy day. School was out, and I had taken a break from soccer. My wrists started hurting immediately during one of my games. I thought it was just soreness, until I woke up next morning. And the next morning. So I went to doctor, and I had Tendinitis. I was scared, because I thought I would have to get surgery. The doctor told me not to play video games, but for some reason, I couldn't control myself. I would still log on, even with my wrist brace. My mom had found out, and she took away my games for a while. I was glad my parents were there, because most parents nowadays just let their kids still play. I felt really sad and angry, which proved that I had an addiction. Luckily, school started the next day, and I told my friends what had happened. Suprisingly, my case wasn't even bad. One of my friends had so bad of an addiction, he played during class. Another one used 35 GB of data, just playing a game. I looked at myself and I said "Dude, what could happen if you don't stop your addiction?" So I made a list of things to help me

Play sports or go outside-I already do this, but I included longer workouts, which left less time for gaming.
Don't play more then 1-2 hours on a school day- Thank God my grades never dipped, because I would've disappointed myself a lot. Do your homework. It will leave you better off. Since I don't play grinding games anymore, clash of clans only takes up 20 minutes of my day
Spend more family time-What a lot of people do during an addiction, is that they start replacing family time or other important things, just for the game. Don't take a day off of work just for a new expansion. It's not going anywhere.

The point is, don't let any game, or any THING, lead you to addiction. My case is much luckier than others, but still use this one to remind you.

falmear
11-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Turn your addiction into a job. Then get paid to be an addict. Eventually work crushes your soul and you hate the one thing you loved.

Stelo
11-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Turn your addiction into a job. Then get paid to be an addict. Eventually work crushes your soul and you hate the one thing you loved.

Yes indeed.

Speedofsound
11-01-2014, 10:48 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/01/d4c76157896e1a90c0c56dc092039743.jpg

Stelo
11-01-2014, 10:57 PM
About a year ago, my life was going well, I was playing soccer, acing tests, and having fun with friends and family. I enjoyed video games as well like AL, FIFA, NHL, clash of clans, etc. One day, I was gaming for almost 7 hours on a rainy day. School was out, and I had taken a break from soccer. My wrists started hurting immediately during one of my games. I thought it was just soreness, until I woke up next morning. And the next morning. So I went to doctor, and I had Tendinitis. I was scared, because I thought I would have to get surgery. The doctor told me not to play video games, but for some reason, I couldn't control myself. I would still log on, even with my wrist brace. My mom had found out, and she took away my games for a while. I felt really sad and angry, which proved that I had an addiction. Luckily, school started the next day, and I told my friends what had happened. Suprisingly, my case wasn't even bad. One of my friends had so bad of an addiction, he played during class. Another one used 35 GB of data, just playing a game. I looked at myself and I said "Dude, what could happen if you don't stop your addiction?" So I made a list of things to help me

Play sports or go outside-I already do this, but I included longer workouts, which left less time for gaming.
Don't play more then 1-2 hours on a school day- Thank God my grades never dipped, because I would've disappointed myself a lot. Do your homework. It will leave you better off.
Spend more family time-What a lot of people do during an addiction, is that they start replacing family time or other important things, just for the game. Don't take a day off of work just for a new expansion. It's not going anywhere.

The point is, don't let any game, or any THING, lead you to addiction. My case is much luckier than others, but still use this one to remind you.

"About a year ago, my life was going well..." Well, what happened after? :O

SacredKnight
11-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Just play Wii sports.....

jiph
11-02-2014, 12:48 AM
There's no such thing as addictions

Limsi
11-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Solution: Time Management

I play longer that you do and still have time for my academics which I believe I am doing pretty well. I also have time for fitness and for social gatherings.

Serancha
11-02-2014, 01:36 AM
Repetitive strain injury is not a joke. I lost a university scholarship and a career because of it. That had nothing to do with computer games, but just plain overuse. If you are doing something repetitive with your hands, you need to take a 20 minute break every hour and do something else. Otherwise you can damage yourself for life in as little as 2 months from the first time you feel pain. Shaking it out and keeping going is not a solution.

As for video game addiction, I have to wonder where your parents were all this time. When I was a kid/teen, there was no way on earth I'd be allowed to sit in front of a computer or TV for hours on end.

obee
11-02-2014, 09:31 AM
"About a year ago, my life was going well..." Well, what happened after? :O
lol im good now I don't play as much

obee
11-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Repetitive strain injury is not a joke. I lost a university scholarship and a career because of it. That had nothing to do with computer games, but just plain overuse. If you are doing something repetitive with your hands, you need to take a 20 minute break every hour and do something else. Otherwise you can damage yourself for life in as little as 2 months from the first time you feel pain. Shaking it out and keeping going is not a solution.

As for video game addiction, I have to wonder where your parents were all this time. When I was a kid/teen, there was no way on earth I'd be allowed to sit in front of a computer or TV for hours on end.
During that little month span of summer, my parents were on a pretty long business trip, and I was at my aunt's house. So when they came back, they were pretty mad that I had gotten this

Gensin
11-02-2014, 09:45 AM
I myself play in school days, I do my homework in class literally me and my friends get productive in the last hour. BUT, i dont over do it. The only injury I got from this was eye blurness, thru radioactiveness of devices. I myself have the best grade in class. Infact in all 4 sections I was 4th place. I never knew why, maybe its because when its time to learn, I take it seriously and neglect distractions. That means almost all of my teachers despise me because they cant answer my questions and cant defend what they stand for when me and them have a debate.

Gensin
11-02-2014, 09:48 AM
And btw, Its not just videogames. I literally have 4 tabs atm, twitter, tumblr, facebook and another lady gaga website. XD

obee
11-02-2014, 09:50 AM
And btw, Its not just videogames. I literally have 4 tabs atm, twitter, tumblr, facebook and another lady gaga website. XD
XDXD

Gensin
11-02-2014, 09:52 AM
And also, I find it funny that I never get sick or injured in playing or surfin the net. The device I used apprently just get blown or get broken.

5 laptops broken
3 ipad broken
2 phones broken
3 more devices which are not broken but the charger apparently stopped working because I play on it while it charges.

ClumsyCactus
11-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Im a Tiny bit addicted too, but thats fine, as long as i am not hurt by it. And, my grades and social life is not heavily impacted EITHER.

epicrrr
11-02-2014, 10:11 AM
You play this game, so you have to; must and is ready; for the stuff involve and things that came with playing game. Its simple if its causing you harm then just stop, if you dont then you choose to hurt yourself.

Ebezaanec
11-02-2014, 10:37 AM
We're all AL-coholics..

Joke aside, you should spend more time offline. The game is just humans' way of coping with long term goals. Short term goals are more manageable to us and more realistic.

Don't make the game a priority. Find some other hobbies. Pixels are certainly not the most life-fulfilling thing in the world.

Candylicks
11-02-2014, 05:19 PM
It's shameful the amount of games that kids today play. I lived outside and at friends houses when I wasn't in school. It's mind boggling what goes on at people's homes now that these kids play to the extent that they do.

obee
11-02-2014, 05:25 PM
It's shameful the amount of games that kids today play. I lived outside and at friends houses when I wasn't in school. It's mind boggling what goes on at people's homes now that these kids play to the extent that they do.
I always went outside, but some of my friends spend all of their time on social media sites and stuff. It's crazy. I don't play grinding games anymore, so base MMOS like clash take up 20 minutes.

Candylicks
11-02-2014, 05:26 PM
I always went outside, but some of my friends spend all of their time on social media sites and stuff. It's crazy
Ya I know u do sports and such. I'm talking about the kids who live their lives behind media and video games.

obee
11-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Ya I know u do sports and such. I'm talking about the kids who live their lives behind media and video games.
Especially violence games, because those reflect the things that they do

Candylicks
11-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Especially violence games, because those reflect the things that they do
This is so true. My nephew was allowed to play M games since he was 5 and I can tell you it matters. 100%.

Visiting
11-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Personally, I've never been addicted to Al (or any other game, for that matter). Yes, I do play too long on some days when there's very little of anything else to keep me occupied. But, that changed during this event for me, I wanted to Lb so bad that I'd play 7+ hours a day, and because of school, most nights I went to sleep around 3am and some I didn't sleep at all. Even though I'm still top of my class, there's no way I could keep my grades up, get a decent amount of sleep and excersice, and stay active in all the games I play.
At some point, you just have to look in the mirror and see what the game is doing to you.

Ebezaanec
11-02-2014, 08:16 PM

It's the Age of Connectivity..

People everywhere are plugged in! Whether it's phones or laptops. Keeping your eyes glued onto a 5" screen is today's top-notch form of socializing. People have lost important social skills necessary for interaction beyond the Internet.

It's scary actually. Watching people fidget incessantly when their power runs out. IMO, the Internet has granted freedom to everyone, but it has crippled everyone as well.

If you read Fahrenheit 451 then you know what I am referring to..

But let's not get too dismal. There is a bright side, right?

Lidless
11-02-2014, 08:58 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/01/d4c76157896e1a90c0c56dc092039743.jpg

Ahhahahahahah

obee
11-02-2014, 09:00 PM
It's the Age of Connectivity..

People everywhere are plugged in! Whether it's phones or laptops. Keeping your eyes glued onto a 5" screen is today's top-notch form of socializing. People have lost important social skills necessary for interaction beyond the Internet.

It's scary actually. Watching people fidget incessantly when their power runs out. IMO, the Internet has granted freedom to everyone, but it has crippled everyone as well.

If you read Fahrenheit 451 then you know what I am referring to..

But let's not get too dismal. There is a bright side, right?
Also, kids are growing up to fast because of the Internet. Teens know about sex, violence, and other stuff...the next generation is just...idk. All it takes is a Google search to change someone

Serancha
11-02-2014, 09:06 PM
This should be in the off topic forum.

Caabatric
11-02-2014, 11:02 PM
im not exactly sure im addicted if you can help me tha'd be great
I play 30min-1 hour a day and have straight A and A+. 2 hours on weekends(maybe more)
I dont play any sports but i am physically fit and my mile time is 6:30.
Im part of Robotics, I play Piano and go to a religious(vedic culture) class.
Im top in most of my classes and a strong speaker/ debater.

Now those are the positive aspects.

negative
I have forgotten to do homework because of gaming.
I sometimes tune out of class when my teacher is rambling about a subject i really think i understand or don't care about.
When i do homework (especially during event) i feel like if only i could log on for 5 more minutes.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

Serancha
11-02-2014, 11:12 PM
You sound like a normal teenager.

Addiction is something that one is unable to stop without professional help. It is not just something that you like to do a lot, or something that distracts you from things you should be doing. I would not consider the OP to be an addict either, just a kid without proper adult supervision.

Anarchist
11-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Get a girlfriend, problem solved.

radagan
11-03-2014, 02:37 AM
Totally agree,that helps alot xD

Gensin
11-03-2014, 04:41 AM

If the heartbreak comes, You will totally get addicted again and this time more addictive. Might also be a cause of alcoholism.

Anarchist
11-03-2014, 05:07 AM
Take the risk. P saves lives.

Snagged
11-03-2014, 11:04 PM
I play to escape life, but I realized; this game is just my distraction from life, like daydreaming while ur math teacher is talking and when she hands out equation papers u turn out asking her or ur friends about how to do it ( most just copy ), :3