PDA

View Full Version : What Makes A Good Guild?

Grouwed
02-07-2011, 03:17 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to guilds and I am thinking of creating my own.
What makes a good guild and how do you start one?

Sorry if this is off topic, I'm new to forums in general.

Grouwed
02-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Oh, and I'm thinking of naming it the Screaming Avian.
What do you guys think?

Inching
02-07-2011, 03:49 AM
what makes a good guild are good players, try to gather those before you start anything

KingFu
02-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Hmm, tips on a guild?

First, how to start one, there are many threads on this. Guilds aren't I'm game, YET. Basically, start the guild, keep track of members, have a forum (optional) do whatever you'd like.

What makes certain guilds successful?

Well, many things:

~A nicely set up forum site
~Fun members
~Nice and organized with set up events, like contests
~Having the guild have a lot to offer
~Giving the members a part in the guild, and trying to give everyone something to do, like a reason to join the guild
~Having nice, and fair requirements to make all the members be good player, IE minimum kills, be respectful, have at least one level 50 and not a noob one etc.

Basically, put yourself in the position as someone looking to join a guild, and think what you'd want in that guild, and put it in yours:) As for running it and how to make one. Making one just takes a thread, not even a thread, just takes some people being notified about it. Run it as you wish, but the more effort, makes a better guild:)

Grouwed
02-07-2011, 04:13 AM
Thanks and thanks again for the quick response.
Also, do you think the 'Screaming Avian' is a good name?

KingFu
02-07-2011, 04:17 AM
Its a nice name, but may may people think they need to be an avian to join:)

Edit:

Usually guilds have names like tenacity, aeo (alterras elite organization) Estraz' club, legends, Phoenix, avengers, etc.

Grouwed
02-07-2011, 04:32 AM
How about 'Battle Barrage'? (wow I am terrible at names)

Grouwed
02-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Or how about P.L.U.G?
(Pocket Legends Uber Group)

We could have the phrase: 'We're the P.L.U.G in society.'

Dizzy
02-07-2011, 05:10 AM
I've loved guilds in another game I've played, and while I was never guild leader, I spent most of my time as second-in-command so I came away with some strong opinions on running guilds.

Good guilds need good leaders. But it's very, very common that once someone becomes a guild leader, it goes to their head and they either power-trip or melt down. Leading a guild requires a cool calm head. It also helps to have a few people you trust and count on to help lead, so if something happens when you're not in game, you have people to guide the guild. It also helps to pass mundane duties like recruitment, training, and rule-enforcements to those people, so you can concentrate on building and advancing the guild.

Organization is a must. A good website with a forum is a must for this game, because there is no in-game communication. Maybe that will change when guilds go live, but still, a website and forum are SO useful, you should require members belong.

Figure out what kind of guild you want. Some are super-hardcore, some are more casual and fun. Base your rules on what kind of guild you want to have. Things to consider are what is the minimum level you'll accept, how active a player is, time-zone, class player uses for main, etc. Some guilds have mandatory farming, mandatory dues, mandatory events. Others are not much more than a group of friends having a laugh.

Beware of taking the game and the guild too seriously. I sometimes found myself consumed with guild politics, and when one of my guilds went down in flames, the leader sent me at least a dozen emails telling me I was a loser and coward -- he went totally personal on me over a game. There is a real danger of drama and misery if you let the game take over your life, and that's easy to do if you lead a guild. Just a caution.

Other than that, since we don't know how guilds will work in PL, it's hard to say how to structure a good guild. The game I played was a strategy war game, and guilds were at the center of the game. We dealt with diplomacy, wars, spies, and sneak attacks, so building a good guild was crucial to success in the game. Until we know more about the function of guilds in PL, you won't have a clear direction to take a guild.

And IMO, good guild names are short and punchy, usually one word, and easy to remember. A lot of times they reflect the guild's outlook. One guild I belonged to was called The Templars, and we never played dirty or targeted easy-kill noobs. Another guild was called Wicked, and they used spies and planned battles against offline people and used Join Us or Die tactics to build their numbers. So, that can be something to think about when considering a name.

Grouwed
02-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Ok, what forum site would you recommend?
Or should I make my own or something?

KingFu
02-07-2011, 05:27 AM
I reccomend forumotion. Great site, and you can go into as much or little detail and effort as you'd like to make it:) tons of customization options, and you can make your own theme! Or snag someone elses:) with chatbox options, gallery options, and if you wanna do stuff like change the URL, it is fairly cheap, and free to use!:)

Grouwed
02-07-2011, 05:28 AM
Wow. Thanks a lot for the help. Be sure to join us!

Grouwed
02-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Site's up and running. If you want to join, head over to http://pocketplug.forumotion.com.