PDA

View Full Version : My first tablet

Itoopeo
11-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Or is it even a tablet? Its running full 32bit windows 8.1, meaning I can run any desktop apps on it i want.
8 inch is big enough for media consumption and video playback and web browsing, but still compact enough to slip in backpack easily and not worry about it (Like my current 10 inch laptop i carry around, hard disk drive might break if I drop my bag)
I can even run Pocket Legends on this totally fine. Bluestacks android emulator install and then just play. Or use chrome.
And seriously, it costs 180€ in finland which is seriously very low when compared to ipad mini which is 599€ with same 32gb memory.

Rewiew says sluggish perfomance, but europe version has 1.33ghz quad core bay trail atom processor which is newer and better than the one on us version in link.
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/3931/dqttr/Acer-Iconia-W4-820-8-32-GB-Wi-Fi-tabletti-Win-8-1 Thats the eu version

http://www.trustedreviews.com/acer-iconia-w4-review And here is the rewiew.

Im not getting android tablet for a reason. I feel limited when using android, because i am used to pc experience. Now Intel released new bay trail and soon cherry trail atom processors which run this type tablets perfectly with full windows.
I tried this device in shop with my cool "benchmark" trick: I opened chrome, turned on fps display and Started to play Robbaz's newest video 1080p from youtube. It had no "start lag" and video was constantly 59.9-60fps. -> Thats the opposite of sluggish.

And did I mention it has full office too?

obee
11-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Windows is perfect for running code and doing computer related stuff, but that has its bad side. Windows 8 for me, is pure crap. One of the things I like about Apple, is that the framerate and graphics are amazing. Also, there are practically no real security threats on Mac. Windows 7 was better for me

synfullmagic_23110
11-07-2014, 07:33 PM

Im not getting android tablet for a reason. I feel limited when using android, ?
Ever used apple?

Itoopeo
11-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Ever used apple?

Yes lol I have tried ipad. Its like made for seniors

Itoopeo
11-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Windows is perfect for running code and doing computer related stuff, but that has its bad side. Windows 8 for me, is pure crap. One of the things I like about Apple, is that the framerate and graphics are amazing. Also, there are practically no real security threats on Mac. Windows 7 was better for me

I like win7 it worked fine but it didnt look near as fancy as 8.1. Plus, when you get to use 8.1 with your fingers, it is really a lot different than using it with mouse. Its like playing basketball with baseball bat vs actually using hands to play.
And track pad is like playing with gloves on

Schnitzel
11-07-2014, 11:13 PM

Another alternative to the security thing, if you don't want to get an iPad for running iOS, consider Ubuntu (Linux) OS.

A lot of my friends and I (we are on our school's robotics programming team) run Linux instead of MacOSX or Windows. (For security, and file transfer (transferring code to the robot) reasons)

KingFu
11-08-2014, 03:10 AM
I can even run Pocket Legends on this totally fine.

I tried this device in shop with my cool "benchmark" trick: I opened chrome, turned on fps display and Started to play Robbaz's newest video 1080p from youtube. It had no "start lag" and video was constantly 59.9-60fps. -> Thats the opposite of sluggish.

No way dude! Those are some rigorous tests! Nice!

Itoopeo
11-08-2014, 08:25 AM
No way dude! Those are some rigorous tests! Nice!

Lol dont crop other text off. Especially from the first one

Itoopeo
11-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Another alternative to the security thing, if you don't want to get an iPad for running iOS, consider Ubuntu (Linux) OS.

A lot of my friends and I (we are on our school's robotics programming team) run Linux instead of MacOSX or Windows. (For security, and file transfer (transferring code to the robot) reasons)

Ubuntu is fine and runs .apk like a boss but windows 8.1 is still much nicer to use

Armourslash
11-08-2014, 11:31 AM
8.1 is stable, people just need to get used to the modern ui.

Itoopeo
11-08-2014, 04:01 PM
8.1 is stable, people just need to get used to the modern ui.

Totally agreed with that!
People keep whining about 8.1 being wierd and bad but seriously, it runs 10x more smooth than win7 on laptops and uses much less battery. Plus it opened a new door to hybrid laptops on market (and with help of intels bay trail chips to tablets too). And this is going to totally dominate tablet markets. Because windows is always a windows and it is totally much better than android or ios. (imagine ios on PC lol)

Fractite
11-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Totally agreed with that!
People keep whining about 8.1 being wierd and bad but seriously, it runs 10x more smooth than win7 on laptops and uses much less battery. Plus it opened a new door to hybrid laptops on market (and with help of intels bay trail chips to tablets too). And this is going to totally dominate tablet markets. Because windows is always a windows and it is totally much better than android or ios. (imagine ios on PC lol)
Shame you can't just straight up download PL without using an external source (Google Chrome, which gets a little bit laggy and... arduous).

Armourslash
11-09-2014, 03:10 AM
Shame you can't just straight up download PL without using an external source (Google Chrome, which gets a little bit laggy and... arduous).

Depends on ur processor and ram or u can just use bandicam :D.

Doframingo
11-09-2014, 04:06 AM
Android, is best

Itoopeo
11-09-2014, 04:17 AM

Its wierd, how my smaller 10" laptop runs Arcane Legends 60fps in chrome and Pocket Legends works like 6fps lol. Its not that heavy!
Plus just saying League of Legends runs 120fps on this thing so why is PL lagging so hard?
Is it because of this has APU and no GPU? My other laptop at home has real GPU in it and PL runs totally fine 60fps all the time. I tried to contact support but they just ignored me.

I think I just have to download some sort of emulator like Bluestacks and run it there. And linux is not an option for touchscreen device which even has button on it that has windows flag lol. Thats just like socks of different colour in feet. Not acceptable

dudetus
11-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Its wierd, how my smaller 10" laptop runs Arcane Legends 60fps in chrome and Pocket Legends works like 6fps lol. Its not that heavy!
Plus just saying League of Legends runs 120fps on this thing so why is PL lagging so hard?
Is it because of this has APU and no GPU? My other laptop at home has real GPU in it and PL runs totally fine 60fps all the time. I tried to contact support but they just ignored me.

I think I just have to download some sort of emulator like Bluestacks and run it there. And linux is not an option for touchscreen device which even has button on it that has windows flag lol. Thats just like socks of different colour in feet. Not acceptable

Maybe LoL runs on so high because it's not a real game. It's like chess for dumb people.

Fractite
11-09-2014, 02:57 PM

BlueStacks is OK, but it does lag with bigger games like Clash of Clans and PL. But it's worth trying.

decompile
11-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Wow! 180€ is cheap? Why you didnt buy acer iconia B1-A71 70€ ftw