PDA

View Full Version : Solution to stop powerleveling

Kujen
02-07-2011, 10:38 AM
There's been a lot of discussion on poweleveling lately, and here's a solution i came up with.

Low level players should earn a fraction of xp in dungeons that are too high for them - less than 1xp per mob. That way they still have access to the dungeons they pay for, but they will level much faster in the appropriate lvl maps. If the appropriate lvl map gives them the best xp, that is what they'll choose. So for example, a lvl 20 would earn more xp in balefort/fathom crypts than ao3. It would discourage him from playing ao3, because he wont get much xp there. Players would be encouraged to buy more dungeons.. theyd still be able to skip them if they want, but the xp gain will be very slow if they only have ao3.

Another solution is to make it where high level discrepencies diminish the xp gain for lower levels. So lower levels wouldn't want a lvl 50 doing all the work for them, because they'd get less xp than if they had a full group of similar levels.

Although I like the first idea better, I'm just brainstorming. What do y'all think?

Riccits
02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
why so complicated? the only pl-stage is crush keeper. just put in 2 snipers and some yellow aliens instead of mummies and case is closed...

Kujen
02-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Because it will happen again, people will always find another map to powerlevel on. Ao2 had the mynas map, which people thought was fixed, then Ao3 has keeper. If they cant do keeper, then they'll do it in plasma pyramid. If they can't do plasma, they'll find another map.

Powerleveling is getting bad. There are people who skip all the maps and only buy ao3, because they know it will get them to 50. The reason I made this thread, is because many are suggesting that people shouldn't be able to access maps they are too low for, an absolute level requirement, but the problem with that is they wouldn't be able to play what they payed for. If they just got less xp, they can play it all they want...but it won't be very fast leveling.

Lesrider
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Why not no xp in higher maps for them, just like higher lvls can't get dp in lower maps.
Seems only fair.

StompArtist
02-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Why not no xp in higher maps for them, just like higher lvls can't get dp in lower maps.
Seems only fair.

Yup. Just disable XP when level is 5 higher or something like that. Easy.

Kujen
02-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Yup. Just disable XP when level is 5 higher or something like that. Easy.

That would work too. It would all depend on how the Devs feel about it, if they think it's ok for people to buy only the highest lvl dungeon or if they should have to buy most of the dungeons to reach the level cap.

Riccits
02-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Because it will happen again, people will always find another map to powerlevel on. Ao2 had the mynas map, which people thought was fixed, then Ao3 has keeper. If they cant do keeper, then they'll do it in plasma pyramid. If they can't do plasma, they'll find another map.

Powerleveling is getting bad. There are people who skip all the maps and only buy ao3, because they know it will get them to 50. The reason I made this thread, is because many are suggesting that people shouldn't be able to access maps they are too low for, an absolute level requirement, but the problem with that is they wouldn't be able to play what they payed for. If they just got less xp, they can play it all they want...but it won't be very fast leveling.

ok agree!
/ten

Lesrider
02-07-2011, 11:13 AM
That would work too. It would all depend on how the Devs feel about it, if they think it's ok for people to buy only the highest lvl dungeon or if they should have to buy most of the dungeons to reach the level cap.

Well, they make more money if people but all the maps. Anyway, I don't see why some people should have to buy them all and then others will go and buy just the highest level and mooch off others. How is that ok? If I had to buy all the maps to get to lvl 50, so should they. Just because they came in when ao3 is the cap, doesn't mean they should be able to avoid buying/playing all the other maps.

StompArtist
02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
As far as I am concerned they should still be able to play the maps just not get the XP. Actually perhaps XP could be unlocked by mission completion? Dunno just throwing the idea out there.

recklessfa
02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
You're right Kujen, this could be a good way. Among many others suggestion I read lately.

...but keep in mind that you (read: we) may be desperately trying to fix something that STS might not consider broken.

in other word, they let it happen, so they're cool with it.
We just need to adapt and learn how to deal with it ourselves now.

PS: reported's Free pwl service thread (currently on page 4: weird) is around 6,000 views and 300+ posts. here's the popular demand.

StompArtist
02-07-2011, 11:17 AM
PS: reported's Free pwl service thread (currently on page 4: weird) is around 6,000 views and 300+ posts. here's the popular demand.

He's raising a noob army to overtake the game. Watch him closely.

Tengotengo
02-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I didn't do my leveling the hard way, but pretty close. I didn't go to AO until 33 or so, and didn't go to AO3 until 40. Managed to hop on some groups of 50s and coasted through the AO3 levels and used some leveling elixirs, but that's about it. It's a source of pride, but it's also a detriment to me because I don't know how to build or play a proper player. I was limping around the top levels wearing piecemeal armor and drop weapons because I didn't spend any money on gear or gold. Luckily I managed to farm a couple of Vyxnaar helms and bought a sentinel set and a void set, so I'm useful again.

I think this game isn't a hard-core gamers game; more like a super-fun diversion. If people think leveling is fun, let them. When their lvl 10 warrior shows up in Crush the Keeper, and either a mummy destroys them or they get kicked, so be it.

To solve a lot of this problem, make pinks no-drop and make upper and lower level XP caps, like no XP for 5 levels too high or low. That would simultaneously cut out farming and PLing.

The problem is, who's the ones doing the PLing? I've spent 10 bucks on this game, plus an FTD purchase for Valentines day. Do the devs want to sell to me, the penny-pincher, or do they want to develop for the creepy MMO hogs who's self esteem is based around accruing levels, gear and slots? People have spent hundreds of dollars on essentially..well, nothing.

Maybe someday in the future, when there's a large enough amount of twinkage to pay SPacetime's bills, they'll make a "pure" server for people who want to do it the hard way. Until then, I'll take my entertainment with the not-so-problematic side effects as well.

Besides, I don't mind them. They sell off their old gear with regularity, or use it for trading purposes.

Kujen
02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Well I wouldn't call it leveling the "hard way", it's leveling as the game intended you to- the normal way. That doesnt make someone hardcore. This game is not hard, it does not take that long to get to the cap the normal way. I play this game a lot, and I wouldn't call myself hardcore. I play because it's fun. I didn't spend much more on plat than you did. You only need about $10 to purchase all the maps.

Powerleveling might be hurting STS profits, tho i wouldnt know to what extent, because people do not have to purchase all the maps to reach the lvl cap..they only need to purchase ao3 right now. It's not like preventing powerleveling would take the fun out of the game - That lvl 10 warrior can enjoy himself in keeper all he wants, he just shouldn't get xp for it.

ewm
02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
If they pay for it, they deserve the right of full access to it and not any nerfs such as less xp etc.

Lesrider
02-09-2011, 08:50 AM
If they pay for it, they deserve the right of full access to it and not any nerfs such as less xp etc.

Why not? If higher level chars who paid for their maps have lvl caps on xp in lower lvl maps, why not hold the same thing true for lower levels in high lvl maps?

krazii
02-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Why worry about it? What business of it is yours how others level? They paid same money you did. Go play and have fun and stop trying to control how others play! Sheesh, if ever a thread needed to be locked.

StompArtist
02-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Problem is that lots of "power leveled" players that have no real experience playing the game show up in games and spoil the experience for the people that have played through it by doing the silliest things and sometimes getting entire parties killed. This leads to excessive booting by the experienced players and in turn spoils the game for "new" high level players that start playing these high level maps. So the idea is to force people into taking the proper road towards a higher level map while keeping the game enjoyable to everyone. Makes sense?

BeefyMeat
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Disagree huge. People pay $X a month to play FFXI and WoW, and they have a better method to stop PLing than this game does. Just because you pay doesn't give you free reign of the world.

BeefyMeat
02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Why worry about it? What business of it is yours how others level? They paid same money you did. Go play and have fun and stop trying to control how others play! Sheesh, if ever a thread needed to be locked.

When they get me killed after spending 6K on a pot, it is my business that they have no idea how they need to be playing their role. MMO means what one person does effects others, so by not knowing what the hell you're supposed to be doing, it is a concern to others.

StompArtist
02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Disagree huge. People pay $X a month to play FFXI and WoW, and they have a better method to stop PLing than this game does. Just because you pay doesn't give you free reign of the world.

By his rational I would have access to all fridges in the apartment building because I paid my rent!

Kujen
02-09-2011, 10:07 AM

They aren't going to lock threads unless they're against the forum rules. My posts are rational and flame-free, they won't lock it just because you disagree with me.

krazii
02-09-2011, 10:29 AM
When they get me killed after spending 6K on a pot, it is my business that they have no idea how they need to be playing their role. MMO means what one person does effects others, so by not knowing what the hell you're supposed to be doing, it is a concern to others.

That's your problem for spending money on a pot before observing how they play. Again, there's always lot's of games available and plenty of choices to play with whom and how you want. Also, they lock threads for reasons they see fit, especially when it's an unproductive, unreasonable, and unrealistic whine about you not liking something in the game or how others play.

Lesrider
02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't even understand why there IS so much powerleveling in this game. It's not the type of game that's most fun at the level cap. It's fun to play through all the maps at your appropriate level and explore them while they still offer you something. If you're going to skip over all the maps and go straight to ao3 to powerlevel, why even bother playing? It's not like there's some end-game cortent with leaderboards and achievements that can only be achieved by the strongest players. If you want to get on the PL leaderboards, you can do so at any lvl. So why skip over everything just to be at the cap? It's a very boring game then, and you missed out on 90% of the content.

BeefyMeat
02-09-2011, 10:42 AM
That's your problem for spending money on a pot before observing how they play. Again, there's always lot's of games available and plenty of choices to play with whom and how you want. Also, they lock threads for reasons they see fit, especially when it's an unproductive, unreasonable, and unrealistic whine about you not liking something in the game or how others play.

So, when would you like me to spend the money...half way through when its a waste? Or the next run when it can be a different party? I'd love your input here.

Not to mention, how many times have you had a party creator get DCed and in comes a level 29 thats leeching. Can't do anything about him, but already spent on the pot and now he's sucking the life out of the group being somewhere he is useless.

krazii
02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
So, when would you like me to spend the money...half way through when its a waste? Or the next run when it can be a different party? I'd love your input here.

Not to mention, how many times have you had a party creator get DCed and in comes a level 29 thats leeching. Can't do anything about him, but already spent on the pot and now he's sucking the life out of the group being somewhere he is useless.

Yes, I think you should wait to pot until you know who you are playing with! We all know about the hosting issue and I agree with you that something needs to be done to resolve this, good suggestion!

BeefyMeat
02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Again, you can't really wait to pot because your group will drop a good number of enemies before you can judge them. Then, if the run goes well, next run the party dynamic could change.

Basically, you either pot or you don't and taking time to think about it is counter productive.

Ona
02-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I think this thread is made to gather suggestions to stop power-lvling or, at least, to make it less attractive. So, no need of unproductive arguments.

So, here it is: for me, the good thing about this game is the quests (all my chars completed them). It gives you a goal, somewhat more interesting IMO than reaching the next lvl. Of course, some quests are pretty boring to complete (tomes, more tomes...yeti...cyber...), but in the end, if you make those quests appealing, power-lvling will decrease and people will buy the whole content.

Then, how to make them attractive? IMO, the rewards are a bit too low. There should quests (before Frozen Nightmare) that reward you with a legendary item and by doing all of them, you get a lvl30 set (or whatever). Also, doing quests should give you a fair amount of XP (and not one or two points). After all, the search for XP is shared by everybody, otherwise there wouldn't be so many ppl (including me) farming CTK.

Those suggestions can very well go along with the proposition of fixing a lvl restriction to access the content.

Tengotengo
02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I think it's less of the noobness of the baby players and more that a low level character could get an elite drop from a boss by just standing there. Luckily, Spacetime put in the ability to have a minimum level on a created dungeon, which will solve a lot of this issue for people who don't like PLing.

Kujen
02-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I like the new min level option, but it only stops low lvl leechers from joining certain hosted games. They can still join unhosted games and games where the host has left. It also doesnt stop intentional powerleveling, like the powerleveling services. People can still only buy the last map and reach the level cap. They just have to sign up for somebodys service.

Ona I agree with you about the quests. It'd be great if quests gave a decent amount of xp as reward, as it would encourage more people to do the quests. It'd be nice if they rewarded more gold too.

Pandamoni
02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I think that with any game you are going to have people who are all about instant gratification. I mean, realistically, society tends to be all about instant gratification so you're going to see it spill over into a game. There are also going to be those people

I don't know if there really is a solution other than choosing who you run with, locking games and if your host dc's either invite someone else to take spot or deal with someone who is leeching and can't be booted taking the spot. Even if there are things put in place to stop PL'ing I almost feel like people will just find new even more interesting ways to try to PLVL.

DontNerfMeBro
02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
I've posted threads denouncing power-leveling in the game...from a... fundamental aspect and I'll stand by the argument.

That said, I'm willing to be deaaaad honest here. I've been pl'ling my third toon towards 50 so hard I swear my droid is going to burst into flames sometimes. To be realistic, it should be understood that although pocket legends has pioneered a unique combination of graphics, depth, mechanics, and fun available on a mobile platform, it inarguably lacks the depth that would entice a person to do the same things...over..and over...and over. Inhibiting power leveling isn't hard. I don't write code or anything but I'm sure switching around a few numbers could easily engineer the power-leveling aspect out of the game.

I'm not trying to say STS is being greedy or manipulating and extorting their customers, but it IS customers who made this game. Removing power-leveling removes a huge target audience which removes development, which removes content, which removes the need for a community to be formed to talk about it. I feel like I've paid my dues but then again I'm the only one I have to truly convince. Besides...my first 50 was a bear. ;D

sechs
02-09-2011, 10:42 PM
i don't agree to limit the xp gain by map, if a player is REALLY good and being able to survive in a map that is supposed to be too difficult for him, he's worth the xp.

BUT, for those who just follow other level 50's to leech xp, i think this idea from Kujen is very good enough:

Another solution is to make it where high level discrepencies diminish the xp gain for lower levels. So lower levels wouldn't want a lvl 50 doing all the work for them, because they'd get less xp than if they had a full group of similar levels.