PDA

View Full Version : Question about the game, specifically questing

Paradox
05-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi there folks,

I'm getting my iPad in a few days (I'm not a iPhone owner), and this game certainly has caught my attention.

Doing some digging, I found a review of the game that left me with some questions. The review question is by Tracy Erickson from PocketGamer UK.. and here is a link to the review itself:

http://www2.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/Pocket+Legends/review.asp?c=20022

The review is back from April 19th, which is just shy of a whole month ago, and I understand Spacetime Studios has done a lot of updating and additional content in that time. So I'm not slamming a game I've never played, but I want to give Pocket Legends a fair shake (besides playing it myself). To that end, I'm asking if this review is still accurate.. or have the issues been addressed?

Specifically Erickson cites that the game the lacks a mission structure other than killing monsters and taking their stuff. Truthfully, that is a staple of a great many games, but he's drawing attention to the fact that there is nothing else.

Missions are nothing more than dungeon crawls with the only objective being to kill, kill, kill. A counter rests at the bottom of the screen counting the number of enemies that remain and once you make it hit zero, you're prompted to advance to the next stage or return to the main menu. Your objective never varies - kill whatever stands in your way to win.

Dungeon hunter

Such a simplistic design ensures that Pocket Legends can be picked up and played at a moment's notice, yet it also renders the game shallow. Instead of providing creative role-playing scenarios, the game just plops you into dungeons and assumes fun is derived solely from hacking things to bits.

Now this doesn't turn me off the game automatically, because I can take a review with a grain of salt, and I know full well that MMO's are in continual development...

...but I'm just wondering if this is something that has been addressed, or is in the processed of being addressed?

Thanks!

Jovians
05-15-2010, 11:59 AM
ATM PL is in deep development but he is right to a point. Dont get me wrong it is a lot of fun and takes some skill to do the later you get into the game. The roadmap for the game has some high expectations that the Dev team is making very good progress at obtaining. I honestly say you should give it and us (being the community) a shot. We are a lot of fun! Help us and the Dev build the MMO we are all working and hoping this becomes. :)

Futumsh
05-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Quests are on the roadmap, I think for the 1.4 submission (1.2 is currently in review).

Paradox
05-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks! I certainly am going to give it a shot myself. Critics come and go...

... however it was enough of a concern that I was prompted to mention it.

Sicarii
05-15-2010, 12:52 PM
not only are quests down the line, but pvp is on our doorstep, so there is a lot more than just grinding.

I will be honest with you, though... you have to approach PL more along the lines of an open beta than a finished product. There is a lot here, and it is a ton of fun... but there is a finished product the devs have a vision for, and while the roadmap is up for us to see where we are going, this was released in it's current form to coincide with the ipad release. as it is, i think the current form far surpasses anything of it's genre on the market... however, i also think the finished product is light years beyond where we are now.