PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: TARGETING OVERHAUL!

DontNerfMeBro
02-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Even though I'm not a developer or programmer I try to think of realistic, simplistic changes that can be plausibly implemented without interfering with what already works. I have an idea for solving the festering, kicked-under-the-couch, painful targeting issue that has plagued this game from the beginning.

The "attack/auto attack" button seems to take up a large amount of screen real estate but offers a very limited function. The movement pad takes up about the same amount of space but offers a tremendous amount of functionality. I mean, how many different movement possibilities does the pad offer? Quite a few when you think about it.

What if this same multi-directional function was created for the "attack" toggle? Click once and it does what it always has...auto attacks. Press it and slide up/left and perhaps that's "attack next enemy", up/right, "attack last enemy", down, "attack nearest enemy" etc. etc. Even if there were only 8 functions to the pad, this could be a true overhaul.

I've heard it said many times throughout this forum, "You can just click on the thing you want to attack", and I think those people have never really excelled in a modern mmorpg, or a game with competitive pvp options enough to comprehend the repercussions for NOT having this keystroke available. Besides, I don't care what device you're running, when 4-5 enemies are stacked in the same place on the screen it's literally a matter of hit-or-miss to determine which one you'll select.

The fact is, combat in the game is reaching a capacity in which poor target selection is not only difficult, but irresponsible on the players part because they can't be as effective as the need to be and on the developers part for under-maintaining basic, critical game mechanics.

Tsarra
02-09-2011, 02:06 AM
This is an awesome suggestion.

Lesrider
02-09-2011, 02:18 AM
I like.
Especially with all the environmental things in the new areas that you can't even destroy -- you just lock on the target until you manually change targets.