PDA

View Full Version : Stop the power leveling hate threads!!!!

Echelong
02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I know some people hate others for power leveling and they say they don't know and don't learn how to play their classes but in reality the main problem is they will never learn their classes even if they leveled legit.

Main problem I see with players is not power leveling it is they don't use pots to keep themselves alive and think its only the elves role to keep them alive. Big problem with tanks and archers depending only on enchantress and they are to cheap to use pots.

These players don't know their roles because most of them have not played an MMO on their lives. They have no clue what a tank or dps class mean and a lot think that tanks are built for damage dealing.

I have played with a lot of people that have powered leveled and they are pro using them because they know how things work and others that have leveled normally and have no idea and they are the ones that keep dieing over and over on simple things, they take the wrong routes and often get the party killed because they don't know what to do. You see this a lot more on the new bosses, grurgox and overlord because these bosses require a strategy.

Kujen
02-09-2011, 09:29 AM
They are capable of learning. If they spent the time getting to 50 naturally they would have learned about how to keep themselves alive, not rely of elves. They would have made mistakes and learned from them. And they wouldn't be asking the same questions that someone with a lvl 5 character would ask. They still have the lvl 5 mindset. Of course some people can do it and still play well, if theyve played similar games before. But even true newbies will learn, if they take their time.

I've even seen a few posts here of people admitting they didn't completely understand their skills because they powerleveled and rushed their way to 50. That's what happens, and people should take their time.

BeefyMeat
02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Main problem I see with players is not power leveling it is they don't use pots to keep themselves alive and think its only the elves role to keep them alive. Big problem with tanks and archers depending only on enchantress and they are to cheap to use pots.

100% wrong. Main problem is they don't know how to work in a party to get something accomplished, and only know attack/attack/attack. Good luck going into King and Queen trying that style of play.

95% of the time someone is royally f-ing up the works during a run, they're usually powerleveled with low kill and death totals and have next to nothing done in the way of quests.

Echelong
02-09-2011, 09:38 AM
For some yes power leveling is bad for others its just a way to have another class. I have a friend that he powered leveled his two characters and hes a pro on both even with crappy 50 pinks he can solo overlord without pots on both and he knows what it takes to keep himself alive. Power leveling is bad only for those players that don't want to learn their classes.

This is a very simple game and if you don't learn the basics of your class in an hour you will never understand it. These are players that refuse to learn and even with help they think they are right and you are wrong. Most players I play have one or more alts they have power leveled and they are really good and they are the only ones I will go to shadow caves with. I have played my fair share of MMOs and I don't see this has a problem they main problem is they refuse to learn their respective roles.

This applies for WoW as well as other MMOs even when they are high level they have no clue on what to do and how to keep themselves alive or from having a group wipe.

Noobs will be noobs and newbs can be pros.

StompArtist
02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Power leveling is not bad in itself... (especially for those with several characters). It is the fact that you can powerlevel yourself "all the way" to the level cap with very little effort that is the problem. Again if you only earned XP +/- 5 levels around your current level you would still be able to power level BUT would be forced to learn how to play while doing so.

Echelong
02-09-2011, 09:40 AM
100% wrong. Main problem is they don't know how to work in a party to get something accomplished, and only know attack/attack/attack. Good luck going into King and Queen trying that style of play.

95% of the time someone is royally f-ing up the works during a run, they're usually powerleveled with low kill and death totals and have next to nothing done in the way of quests.

really? I can play with my archer a whole lot better (yes thats a powered level alt) that a lot of players that have leveled it normally but I still prefer my enchantress. You just need to find better players. What I am doing is simply not adding friends randomly unless they know how to play and a lot of them are powered leveled alts.

BeefyMeat
02-09-2011, 09:43 AM
You aren't the problem, you have played one of the tougher jobs, so being an archer is easy by comparison. However, people who can't tank as a bear and say "I dont heal" as a mage are who we are talking about.

You are an exception, not the rule. Most PLed players suck.

StompArtist
02-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Problem is lvl 50 players who, for example, ask bear and birds to rev them. They obviously have never even paid attention to how the game is played and now wreck havoc on other peoples games. Not the players who do their best and obviously learned a thing or two on the way... lol

Riccits
02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
You aren't the problem, you have played one of the tougher jobs, so being an archer is easy by comparison. However, people who can't tank as a bear and say "I dont heal" as a mage are who we are talking about.

You are an exception, not the rule. Most PLed players suck.

yep true, archer is the "easiest" job... IMO the bear has the hardest/importantest job.. .when he fails group is lost...

Lesrider
02-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Because of Reported's powerleveling thread, there have been new people at lvl 5 asking for powerleveling. It's giving newbies the idea that that's how this game is played -- you start a character and get someone else to do the work for you. If people kept it amongst their friends and left it off the forum, perhaps it wouldn't be such an epidemic.

It's fine if people want to help out their friends, but for god's sake stop with the powerleveling requests/offers on the forum!

Duke
02-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Hmmm... maybe I should post a "Stop the 'stop the power leveling hate threads!!!!'" thread...

Kujen
02-09-2011, 09:57 AM
For some yes power leveling is bad for others its just a way to have another class. I have a friend that he powered leveled his two characters and hes a pro on both even with crappy 50 pinks he can solo overlord without pots on both and he knows what it takes to keep himself alive. Power leveling is bad only for those players that don't want to learn their classes.

This is a very simple game and if you don't learn the basics of your class in an hour you will never understand it. These are players that refuse to learn and even with help they think they are right and you are wrong. Most players I play have one or more alts they have power leveled and they are really good and they are the only ones I will go to shadow caves with. I have played my fair share of MMOs and I don't see this has a problem they main problem is they refuse to learn their respective roles.

This applies for WoW as well as other MMOs even when they are high level they have no clue on what to do and how to keep themselves alive or from having a group wipe.

Noobs will be noobs and newbs can be pros.

Many of them, if forced to spend time getting to 50 (because they won't get xp in ao3), will learn something along the way. Yes your friend can play fine, because hes familiar with the mechanics. True newbies *need* time to learn. And if they didn't have the ability to powerlevel, they'd have a better chance at learning the game and becoming good at it. If they spend weeks, they'll make mistakes, they'll learn and get better. If they spend hours and someone says, "don't do that", it's not an effective way of learning.

Echelong
02-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Look I kinda made an experiment (not on purpose) on this I have two friends (one of them is the one that invited me to play PL on december) He was level 13 by the time and an other I invited a couple of weeks ago. The first one hes's really good at FPS games regular RPGs and most other games but had no clue about what an MMO is and he chose the tank role and even though he never powered leveled hes not very good at it but I keep trying to teach him and he's learning.

My second friend I powered level his first toon an enchantress and hes second one a tank but hes an old buddy of mine from WoW. Even though he never played the low levels and got powered level he is one of the best tanks I know even with crappy gear. He took the time to learn the class in very little time he asked what skills to use and what the attributes are and then he experimented.

I agree that this does not apply to everyone but if you don't know your role and you are not willing to learn you will never be a good player.

BeefyMeat
02-09-2011, 10:11 AM
2 people aren't don't prove you right dude. There are plenty of examples in the other direction.

Echelong
02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
2 people aren't don't prove you right dude. There are plenty of examples in the other direction.

Thats why I wrote that this does't apply to everyone but it proves a point. The best players I have played with have either played other MMOs or are willing to learn. The worst players think they know everything and don't want to try new things or learn anything new.

Kujen
02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Well see Shemron, your friend who is not familiar with MMORPG isn't very good, but is learning..over time. The other could jump right in because he is familiar with this type of game. Your first friend needs time to learn. In time he can become just as good as you and your other friend. It would be a mistake to powerlvl him and drop him in balefort sewers, because he still needs to learn his character.

RedRyder
02-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I've been playing since April, and always leveled the right way on my main. This was my first mmo but I still perfected my class. Your logic is useless. Trying to run before you can walk gets you no where idc what you say.

And not only that, Powerleveling is extremely rude and inconsiderate to the devs that put so much work into this game just for you to rush through the whole friggin' thing. Get over it. The only people thT don't hate powerleveling are the ones that participated in it themselves

BeefyMeat
02-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Thats why I wrote that this does't apply to everyone but it proves a point. The best players I have played with have either played other MMOs or are willing to learn. The worst players think they know everything and don't want to try new things or learn anything new.

And which out of those two types of people are the ones who are powerleveling...the ones who want to learn and are familiar....or the ones who just want to run to the end?

You're proving my point here.

Echelong
02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Well see Shemron, your friend who is not familiar with MMORPG isn't very good, but is learning..over time. The other could jump right in because he is familiar with this type of game. Your first friend needs time to learn. In time he can become just as good as you and your other friend. It would be a mistake to powerlvl him and drop him in balefort sewers, because he still needs to learn his character.

But he is willing to learn. Tank is the hardest class to play with then the enchantress and the easiest is the archer. Powered leveled or not a bad player is the one that doesn't want to learn. Yes it is very bad to power level those but I just simply don't play with them unless I can hold my own on the level and boss.

BS is easy on every boss I have completed the levels with only 2 players (both mages) and unless you have 4 idiots playing you could run it without mayor problems. The shadow caves is another story and it defines who the good players are. Maybe its because I have lately played only with friends who I know are good players and haven't run pugs. But so farm the runs at BS have been easy.

StompArtist
02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
BS is easy on every boss I have completed the levels with only 2 players (both mages) and unless you have 4 idiots playing you could run it without mayor problems. The shadow caves is another story and it defines who the good players are.

Now that made me laugh. What am I doing wrong? I can solo the Shadow caves and get squished away in BS :(

Lesrider
02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Now that made me laugh. What am I doing wrong? I can solo the Shadow caves and get squished away in BS :(

BS is fairly easy -- just pay attention with those grates bc it sucks to be the only Mage and get wiped by one.
Helll, it sucks to be the only Mage and get wiped by anything in there -- man those are some long, dangerous walks to get back to the boss room.

BeefyMeat
02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Again, you're taking the exceptions and lumping them in with the general PLing population. Most PLers aren't capable players, and do no good by zipping through to the end.

StompArtist
02-09-2011, 10:42 AM
So... Perhaps the dev could have a function to identify newly signed accounts and how fast the get to 50 then how long they keep playing after they reach level 50. That would tell them if power leveling is an issue with loss of interest in new players and would certainly support rules to enforce restrictions on power leveling? Just a suggestion to the devs here...

djkrazze
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
ewww i hate shadow caves! lmfao

Lesrider
02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
As far as the devs go, it seems like a logical thing to force people to Lvl in the appropriate maps -- it means they make more money bc there are less people buying only the highest lvl map. So I don't see how this can hurt their business. If someone comes in and isn't even willing to buy the maps, do they really think that person is ever going to spend money on anything else in the game? So really, how would it hurt the devs to put minimum restrictions on xp?

StompArtist
02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
As far as the devs go, it seems like a logical thing to force people to Lvl in the appropriate maps -- it means they make more money bc there are less people buying only the highest lvl map. So I don't see how this can hurt their business. If someone comes in and isn't even willing to buy the maps, do they really think that person is ever going to spend money on anything else in the game? So really, how would it hurt the devs to put minimum restrictions on xp?

I have no idea. I think the lack of restrictions is hurting them. I was merely suggesting a way for them to verify this. Perhaps I phrased it wrong.

Kujen
02-09-2011, 11:20 AM
But he is willing to learn. Tank is the hardest class to play with then the enchantress and the easiest is the archer. Powered leveled or not a bad player is the one that doesn't want to learn. Yes it is very bad to power level those but I just simply don't play with them unless I can hold my own on the level and boss.

BS is easy on every boss I have completed the levels with only 2 players (both mages) and unless you have 4 idiots playing you could run it without mayor problems. The shadow caves is another story and it defines who the good players are. Maybe its because I have lately played only with friends who I know are good players and haven't run pugs. But so farm the runs at BS have been easy.

Well what we need is an example of people unwilling to learn, and not powerleveled. If someone is so absolutely unwilling to learn, and uninterested in becoming a good player, what would happen if they were unable to powerlevel..unable to rush to level 50? Theyd probably never make it there because they'd be unwilling to put in the time and the effort, because they just wouldn't care. And nobody would want to play with someone with that mindset.

Ladylove
02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I powerleveled an alt bear to 50 after I twinked with it for a while. I'm not the best with bears, but I've got another one in the oven going all natural. Learning forreal. Playing bear is so different after playing as an enchantress since April.

Fyrce
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I didn't have to do anything new for BS, not new EQ and didn't even respec until later.

I think it's actually one of the easier areas, but if you're not paying attention, it can also be the most difficult area. It's not brawn that will defeat it; it's observation and some wetware.

When I first went there, I listened and then my groups tried what we knew and added onto it to make it better and easier and now, other than being able to survive the King's hits and killing the Goblin king's totem in time, it's a piece of cake. Some realities you just have to know: if you time the grates wrong, you can die. If you stand next to noxious stuff w/o the green shield, you will die. If you let the bosses keep healing, you will get bored :P Easy, right?