PDA

View Full Version : Cockroach confusion

GoofyYno
02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
There is so much confusion on this guy.:confused: I thought the strategy was to destroy the garbage cans then attack his full force (with AOE). half the player start with cans. the others say it heals him when the cans are destroyed. I have not beaten him yet. I have destroyed the cans, and not destroyed the cans. if it takes to long his shield comes out, then he gets real strong. boom, wipes everyone out. :mad:

Physiologic
02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
As soon as you go in the room, everyone should be bashing away at the garbage bins, not just half the players. Eliminate the bins as quickly as possible, then focus all your attacks on the Roach. If you keep failing, you may need a stronger or more damage-efficient team.

Kujen
02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
The cans heal him when they are destroyed. If you destroy them before you start fighting him, it is easier because you can use aoe and there's no cans left to destroy (so he can't heal). But if they respawn you need to start being careful not to hit them.

abectin
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
I have defeated 10 times or so now. I tell groups not to break the bins, which means no scream, stomp, firestorm, or ice storm. It works well when everyone stays in the center. Especially, if you are mage stay centered to heal the group. Best is to have two mage in the group in my own opinion.

noobmigo
02-09-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't break the bins either. I saw they healed so what is the point in breaking bin?

Physiologic
02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
All the groups I've gone with have done the same and succeeded - break bins first and then unleash hell on the Roach. He usually dies around the time the first destroyed bins respawn.

The point of breaking bins is to allow you to use AoE spells and combos that will effectively take his health a lot faster than using non-AoE and no combos. Since the bins have a 20-25 second respawn time, that gives you that amount of time to do as much damage as you can without worrying about destroying bins.

I've found no problems with this method and we were able to defeat the Roach in one try.

Royce
02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Don't bother breaking the bins. Just pull him into the center of the room and only use AOE if you are sure the cans won't be touched (if you want to play it safe just use single target skills, and no keeper staffs (or other AOE staffs)).

noobmigo
02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
All the groups I've gone with have done the same and succeeded - break bins first and then unleash hell on the Roach. He usually dies around the time the first destroyed bins respawn.

The point of breaking bins is to allow you to use AoE spells and combos that will effectively take his health a lot faster than using non-AoE and no combos. Since the bins have a 20-25 second respawn time, that gives you that amount of time to do as much damage as you can without worrying about destroying bins.

I've found no problems with this method and we were able to defeat the Roach in one try.
Oooh I see now!! ok.

Royce
02-09-2011, 03:40 PM

Well my groups have always killed him pretty quickly just taking him to the center of the room and avoiding the bins. I suppose either way works, but I'm not sure the time investment is worth it to destroy the cans unless you have a bunch of mages...

mycroftxxx
02-09-2011, 03:40 PM
The cockroach feeds on spilled garbage and heals. There are two ways to kill him:

1) Don't spill any garbage. This means ABSOLUTELY NO AOES. That includes weapon procs—meaning your keeper staff (among others) is right out. Lots of people fail here because they don't realize they're AOEing.
2) Spill all the garbage first, and then hit the cockroach full force with everything you have—AOEs, combos, etc.—until he's dead. This works because the bins take some time to regen, and you have all that time to AOE away. Sometimes groups fail here because they're too lazy/slow, and the bins respawn while they're AOEing away.

One method that generally fails is trying to pin him and ignore the bins. Most of the places he gets pinned are on top of a bin location. The bin will respawn, get destroyed, and then serve as lunch without anyone even realizing what happened.

One interesting thing is: even though in method 2 he gets damaged before the spilled trash disappears, I've never seen him eat it in that case. Maybe he has to sustain a certain amount of damage before he feeds?

Another is: he doesn't heal until he gets to the garbage and eats it. It is possible to prevent him from doing so before it disappears into the ground, but it requires coordinated effort.

In general, method 2 is more reliable with random PUGs. Either method can work, but mixing the two is almost certainly a fail.

z0d
02-09-2011, 03:42 PM
imo the best thing to do is just have everyone go on him immediately, no aoe. just ride it out, spam heal/health pots

Kujen
02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Both methods work, but in random groups it is hard to tell people what to do and what not to do. I've seen people continue to use aoe when you tell them not to, even if theyre damaging bins. And I've seen people target bins to break them while the rest of us are targeting the boss.

GoofyYno
02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
The cans heal him when they are destroyed. If you destroy them before you start fighting him, it is easier because you can use aoe and there's no cans left to destroy (so he can't heal). But if they respawn you need to start being careful not to hit them.
Now I understand. the only advantage of destoying them first is so you can use AOE without hitting them later. so group who don't want to destroy first can still win by not using any aoe. I'm assuming heal, BOV and BOM wont cause problems. I saw where Nightmare/ terror have damage. how about steal life?

Ptoast
02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Life steal is single target, so it is ok to use.

noobmigo
02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Nightmare and weakness do damage, but I'm sure It doesn't do anything to the bins.

Physiologic
02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Well my groups have always killed him pretty quickly just taking him to the center of the room and avoiding the bins. I suppose either way works, but I'm not sure the time investment is worth it to destroy the cans unless you have a bunch of mages...

My groups have been rather bear/mage abundant, especially bears that have itchy trigger fingers on their Stomp skill, so I let them happily Stomp away :D

Ptoast
02-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I have seen the bosses reset too many times by idiot mages firestorming and bears stomping like idiots. It annoys the crap out of me when I keep trying to knock them back into the center of the room just to have them shoved back in my face.

mycroftxxx
02-09-2011, 05:41 PM
FYI, I posted a lengthier “Balefort Sewers guide” which includes my analysis of the Cockroach.

Genes
02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Why the trouble? He can easily be solo-ed by kiting him around the huge space using a bird.

GoofyYno
02-10-2011, 11:18 AM
After 15 or more attempts, I finally got him. and it was so easy- nobody touched a can or used AOE. I think I like the destroy can first method, but people are way to stupid to stop firing away when the cans reappear- ( or some idiot alway goes over to the re-spawned can and destroys it).

Kujen
02-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Ok i think the destroy cans first method is best. I just tried both methods playing my tank, and he seemed to hit a lot harder when the bins were there. I died way more when the bins were intact. That or he gets stronger over time. You just need to be careful when they start respawning.

mycroftxxx
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
More likely some players were firing at bins instead of the roach, or holding back on AOEs, so you just weren't damaging him as fast.

Kujen
02-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I seemed to notice a difference in how hard he hit though. I was playing my tank bear and when we tried no aoe/no destroying bins first, I was having to spam health pots to stay alive and after a few hits i was dead. Almost like he kept critting me. It went much smoother when we tried again, destroying all the bins first and using aoe. Maybe people weren't debuffing him the first time or something, but I was definitely getting hit harder.

Doubletime
02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
There is something of a time limit on how long you can take to kill him. I don't know if it is part of the new patch or something that I just haven't seen before, but after a period of time Cockroach will get an orange glow around him. I was in a group yesterday that was taking a long time to kill him because of repeated trash bin hits re-energizing him, and he got this orange glow. At that point, it was one hit and die -- even with a tank pot. I thought it was a nice touch by the devs to make it a point to have good teamwork in a group to take him down quick, regardless of what method you use.

Isotope
08-16-2012, 10:38 AM
To kill a cockroach fast,
1. bring along 2 bears
2. use all skills including AOE
3. no need to bother if bin is damage or not
4. when the fight is started, have the 2 bears constantly using stomp & mega slash to push the cockroach to the wall & not movable
5. all other members spam all skills to kill the cockroach
6. cockroach should be die even before any damaged bin is revived

xcainnblecterx
08-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Another necroed thread @iso this is a thread that's over a year old. Please look at dates before responding. A/w welcome to forums

Isotope
08-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Sorry to relive this thread but just want to give suggestion. It's really tiring to see ppl yelling at each other whether or not to damage the bins & take over 15 mins or more to kill this boss