PDA

View Full Version : Balefort Sewers guide

mycroftxxx
02-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Environment

Fire traps and exploding barrels

These are basically the same as in the goblin stronghold. Fire traps, once fuming, can be set off intentionally by attacking them. You can use this property to purposefully clear them before passing. Do this with a range weapon unless you have a death wish.

Don't explode a fire trap or barrel (watch those weapon AOEs) when a player is next to it—this is a booting offense in my book.

Toxic waste barrels

There are two maps in which these appear. If you get too close to one, you breathe toxic fumes and immediately lose >90% of your HP. Stand there and you die. So don't do that. See other comments under Roach Motel and Fetid Halls.

Portals

There are several portals to “hidden” maps (not available from “Host Game”). Unlike other campaigns, these portals require you to have a particular daily quest before entering. You can still stalk your way into the map through Join Game and My Friends.

Bosses

One of the cool things about Balefort Sewers is that the bosses require some individual technique. In previous campaigns, the bosses are mostly a DPS/HP battle. Note that this section represents my best assessment of the bosses at the time of last edit, and may be updated as I make new discoveries or the game itself is updated.

Goldfever (Bandit Boy Hideout)

In addition to direct hits, Goldfever has a special attack/skill called Gold Fever. This is like a debuff. It appears to do some damage and briefly stun the player. In addition, it starts a timer, which on expiration causes the player himself to cast Gold Fever, infecting any other players nearby. When Goldfever infects a player directly, a green orb appears on Goldfever, and also on at least one of the Soul Chests; breaking one of these chests fast enough will “cure” the fever and prevent the player blasting others. You'll recognize that someone has the fever because they'll be doing a “Celebrate!” emote continually.

Note: Like other attacks, Gold Fever is dodgeable, so sometimes the orbs will appear with no player being infected.

Note: Keep in mind that in addition to the blast damage, the fever is infectious. Players hit by the blast will also get the fever, and themselves explode, even if they die in the blast.

Note: There is some condition under which you can get multiple orbs—I'm no longer certain what it is—but they all disappear when you break one chest.

Special note: Why do I run out of pots when I have aggro? If I'm kiting, there is a very careful balance between my distance from the boss and his range to hit me. I can kite for a long time solo, but if other players are pushing him around, it often pushes him in range to hit and stun me. Then either I die or I spam pots and pray. If there's a bear in the group, I shouldn't be keeping aggro anyway. If I think it's a hopeless situation, I may just let myself die faster and save the pots. Yes, you heard it here: your (push) attack on the boss is killing me (indirectly), and probably also you.

Questions:
Does proximity to the chest and/or Goldfever matter for curing the fever?
Can a single chest cure multiple players?
Does leaving the orb on Goldfever and not breaking a chest prevent him from infecting anyone?

My whacko theory is that Goldfever's attack actually leeches your HP (soul, as in Soul Leech) and stores it in his chests (possibly for his later consumption), and that opening a chest gives back those HP to the opener. I'm still collecting data on this.

Bandit King & Queen (Bandit Boy Stronghold)

These two are deadly together. They have a wicked combination where the king beckons and the queen repeatedly lightnings the prey. (Listen to their sound effects, BTW.) They can wipe a group in seconds. They need to be separated as quickly as possible. If you get them far enough apart, they will stop trying to get close (think of hematite magnets), and their combo attack will be inoperative. Just don't push them around so they get too close again. Also, don't push one so far that it resets and goes back to the other.

The easiest and simplest way to separate them is for a bear to go in the room alone, lock onto the king, and—from as far away as possible—taunt him. Then retreat out of the room and the king will follow. DO NOT fire any weapons or attack skills; they're close enough together than you're guaranteed to get both.

If you're lacking in a bear, another separation method is to crawl up the wall to the side of the king, and then slowly inch toward him until he just notices you. If you do it right, you'll still be outside the queen's range. Once the king starts to follow, go back toward the entrance and out of the room with the king in tow. If you accidentally get both, you can just go past the reset threshold and wait for them to reset—easier if you don't have any other players interfering. Again, DO NOT fire any weapons or attack skills; your presence is enough to alert the king.

Special note: While warriors with more armor and elves with mana shield may be able to survive the 1-2 combo attack by potting, this works very poorly for archers, who have weaker armor and no HP reserve. If you're a warrior or elf and are telling people to just dive in and attack one while ignoring the other, you're being a selfish git and will get all the archers killed. (Same applies to the Galactic Overlord room.) I will just leave if this happens. BTW, it's also a stupid “optimization” in that it will actually cost you time.

Goblin King (Swill Pitz)

The goblin king periodically goes into a healing mode. During this time, he has a green aura, stands still, and does not attack. At this point, the totem is vulnerable and must be destroyed. If the totem is not destroyed, it heals the king (not fully—something like 50% of his total HP). You have about 6 seconds to do this, so you have to switch FAST and hit HARD—no slouching.

Trashheap (The Catacombs)

Trashheap himself isn't a particularly interesting boss, but the room he's in has a different type of grate that releases toxic fumes. You can seal the grates; they act like NPCs with a lot of HP, so some sustained fire will “kill” (seal) them. I like to seal the first two as I enter the room, giving me a place from which to fire at Trashheap without worrying about additional damage.

Cockroach (Roach Motel)

The cockroach feeds on spilled garbage and heals. There are two good ways to kill him:

1) Don't spill any garbage. This means ABSOLUTELY NO AOES. That includes weapon procs—meaning your keeper staff (among others) is right out. Lots of people fail here because they don't realize they're AOEing.

2) Spill all the garbage first, and then hit the cockroach full force with everything you have—AOEs, combos, etc.—until he's dead. This works because the bins take some time to regen, and you have all that time to AOE away. Sometimes groups fail here because they're too lazy/slow, and the bins respawn while they're AOEing away.

In general, method 2 seems more reliable with random PUGs. Either method can work, but mixing the two is almost certainly a fail.

Note: He doesn't heal until he gets to the garbage and eats it. It is possible to prevent him from doing so before it disappears into the ground, but that requires coordinated effort to pin him.

One unexplained thing is: even though in method 2 he gets damaged before the spilled trash disappears, I've never seen him eat it in that case. Maybe he has to sustain a certain amount of damage before he feeds?

Other bosses and mini-bosses

always spawn: Catspaw (Bandit Boy Hideout), Oil Slick (The Catacombs), Stench (Roach Motel)
random spawn: Blanky The Safecrack (Bandit Boy Hideout), Drusila Badelf (Bandit Boy Stronghold), Ooze (The Catacombs), Goop (Roach Motel), Noodles (Swill Pitz)
hidden maps: Beargular (Bank Vault), Waylay Blackbeak (Bandit Cells), The Animator (The Steam Chamber), Dr. Noxious (Fetid Halls), Goblin Shaman (The Goblin Tunnels)

AFAICT, none of these have any interesting fight capabilities.

Maps/Quests

The Catacombs

To animate the dead slimes, you must first have the magical residue, and then touch the slimes. They take a few seconds to animate, but you don't have to touch them continuously. You get the residue initially by either clicking on the marked Dead Sewer Slime at the beginning of the map or touching it with your character. While you have the residue, there will be a blue mist swirling around you. The effect wears off, but is renewed each time you animate some slime.

Roach Motel

If you kill one of the green suited guys next to a toxic waste barrel, you get a temporary Toxin Protection buff that allows you to get close to the barrels without dying. If you stand on top of a barrel and fire, you cap it, and it no longer produces toxic fumes.

Questions:
Occasionally someone in the party assailing the bunny suit does not get the buff. Why?

Bank Vault

The main thing about this area is that you enter in the middle of a heist, and are attacked immediately. Be ready to buff.

Bandit Cells

When you open a cell, thugs will spawn behind you (right at the entrance from the hallway to the cell). Be prepared for this. As an archer, I'll generally thorn wall the instant the cell pops; with a mage, we can nature strike them right off.

The Goblin Tunnels

Only thing of interest here is that you have to kill the Goblin Shaman before you can hit the Explorer's Bones and free the Haunted Soul.

The Steam Chamber

Beware of invisible enemies. If you see swords and shields floating in the air, you aren't hallucinating—they're “animated”. You have to kill The Animator before the chests appear.

Fetid Halls

The goal is to kill Dr. Noxious. But to get to him, you must pass a long line of toxic waste barrels. It is not possible to do this without activating the Hazmat Containment Unit and getting the Toxin Protection buff. To do that, you must finish its quest—which is to say, clear the rest of the map. There are lots of suited guys with big guns; don't annoy them all at once if you're soloing.

Note: The toxic waste barrels can't be capped here, so each player must activate the Hazmat Containment Unit to get the buff. That means each player must finish the quest.

There's something weird here. If I reenter Fetid Halls, the ! appears over the Hazmat Containment Unit again, but it gives me the option of either taking the quest or just reactivating and getting the buff. If I take the quest again, I have to complete it.

Addicted
02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Awsome guide, thank you! I keep having people tell me not to AEO with Trash Heap, but other groups I have been with we all AOE like crazy and nothing unusual happens. I think people must be confused with Cockroach.

-Addicted

Baked-Potato
02-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Awesome guide! Everyone needs to read the boss section since a lot don't know how to handle them correctlyy.

One thing you might want to add is with the Goblin King, the totem respawns and he can heal. I was in a weak group that could barely kill the totem (some wouldn't switch targets or were too slow). When we finally did get the totem and started killing the King, it respawned. Took forever to kill him, and it was because I attack potted.

Zeus
02-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Time to finally remake my videos :)

Palyna
02-09-2011, 10:10 PM
wow great guide! now I know gold fever really gives a fever!

Yesterday I killed the gold fever with another bird only with no death! I always attack the green orb chest quickly.

But later when I join a full group we die a few times without completing.

mycroftxxx
02-09-2011, 10:16 PM
The fever is infectious. When the feverish player explodes, if he doesn't actually manage to one-hit the other players nearby, they all get the fever. Two feverish players next to each other will pretty much always die.

(Edit: Added this to guide.)
(Further edit: I studied the fever behavior for 3 hours and updated the guide with my current analysis.)

Ayrilana
02-10-2011, 02:27 AM
Do the bosses for the wanted quests spawn in a specific area on the maps like Mynas does or is it random where they spawn?

Physiologic
02-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Do the bosses for the wanted quests spawn in a specific area on the maps like Mynas does or is it random where they spawn?

The boss location is fixed for the bounty quests. Its usually a fairly large room with 5-6 enemies in them.

Nice guide btw - make it more flashy though! Bold things and size up titles :)

mycroftxxx
02-10-2011, 04:01 AM
Nice guide btw - make it more flashy though! Bold things and size up titles :)

Better? I had to learn all those controls in vBulletin that I was avoiding.

Physiologic
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Better? I had to learn all those controls in vBulletin that I was avoiding.

Yes much better - easier to identify which section to look for, esp people Like me w impaired vision :p

Btw, how would you go about exactly on how to separate the king and queen (specifically skill technique). Ever since they upped the difficulty my party has been unsuccessful at pulling them apart. Their combo quickly 1hkos us regardless, even with tank pots - it seemed easier prior to the most recent patch.

mycroftxxx
02-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Btw, how would you go about exactly on how to separate the king and queen (specifically skill technique). Ever since they upped the difficulty my party has been unsuccessful at pulling them apart. Their combo quickly 1hkos us regardless, even with tank pots - it seemed easier prior to the most recent patch.

I've seen archers go into the room alone and pull just the king. To be honest, I haven't mastered the technique myself, but I'm still experimenting. I suspect it requires using a skill to attract his attention rather than a regular weapon shot.

Another way that works is for a bear to beckon while other players rotate push attacks against the queen. If you can get them far enough apart, they stop trying to get back together. (Think of a pair of hematite magnets.)

I haven't noticed that separation is more difficult after the update, but they seem to take longer to kill, so I suspect their HP and/or armor were increased. But those numbers are your department. :-)

mycroftxxx
02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
So Davictorious (49 str elf!) and I just did this. He locked onto the queen, I locked onto the king, and just using normal weapons (board and nail, sentinel talon) we aggroed them separately and I pulled the king right out of the room. I think the choice of firing technique and timing must play a role here. (Of course we were unable to take them alone and died, but that's beside the point.)

This is different from what I've seen with archers going into the room alone and pulling the king, but it works.

I'm beginning to suspect the problem is that other players start firing push or stun attacks, and it keeps them close together for too long. Or, because they're close together, one player with an AOE aggros both, and then they're toast.

Physiologic
02-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Hmm I'll probably try aggroing myself now. The other person usually fails at aggroing or ends up dying. :p

Junside
02-10-2011, 07:21 PM
You should emphasize on how to avoid the fire traps because people are still getting their balls blown off and losing virginities from having no clue how to time and dodge it.

i.e. a small flame signifies an explosion a few seconds later

Ayrilana
02-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I found it annoying when they decide to fight on top of the fire traps. I once encountered a set of three or four fire traps that were in sync with each other. I get to the middle one and then they're all starting up. Kind of annoying.

mycroftxxx
02-11-2011, 01:26 AM
FYI, it turns out to be basically trivial for a bear to pull the king with taunt. Added that to the guide.

Otukura
02-11-2011, 01:31 AM
My method... stand outside the room... doesn't really matter how far. Within 5 minutes, queen will run out, and go right by you. She will run to the end of her tether, and go back. If you attack her while she's running, she'll stay out, and the king will still be in the room. Weird, dunno why it works. Just takes time and patience...

Bekon with a bear is pretty effective I've noticed.. had a 36 do it perfectly... he was one of the most polite and just plain nice players I've seen.

Unlike someone here....
Them: "Yes, solo'd... kinda" (I helped, didn't pot... against doc nox)
Me: "You don't need to pot to solo, you know?"
Them: "SMD, Shut up, shut up, shut up"

Ow. That hurt.

mycroftxxx
02-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Beckon? Surely you mean taunt? Beckon is an AOE and I would expect it to pull both. (Maybe if you got the range *exactly* right, but taunt is easier.)

Otukura
02-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Beckon... running along the wall, and bekon... if you stick to the wall, it's easy enough to just pull one. Just run along the wall, and pull from the same spot every time. It's very consistent.

recklessfa
02-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Just an input as I'm sure many others do this too, my bird is always quite successful at getting the king alone.
I just come from his left side, small steps until he eventually notice me and follow me to be killed at the entrance where others are waiting while the queen keeps daydreaming.

If I fail, we either reset or others deal with the queen inside while my damage pot almost allow me to kill the king by myself at the entrance.

mycroftxxx
02-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Indeed, I just tried that technique again, and it worked flawlessly.

Raaizer
02-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Nice work on the guide. Thank you.

Junside
02-15-2011, 02:23 PM
I just want to add small battle tips. The bears have the Fester ability which is like bleeding damage. You'll know you're affected by it from mummies in Crush the Keeper. You have a green odor aura emanating from your character and it'll eat away at your health fairly fast.

Also, the birds occasionally use break armor, I'm not sure which level, but it's also painful.

Mages (goblin mages, etc) have AOE fire attacks and hits everyone.

Ayrilana
03-06-2011, 01:38 AM
It seems people are still having issues with a couple bosses. Namely Roach and Goblin King. Hopefully more people will read this.

im4broke
04-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Yes much better - easier to identify which section to look for, esp people Like me w impaired vision :p

I am a 47 soon to be 48 warrior and have been in on king and queen 4 times, twice I went and by hugging the wall on the side of the king I just crept up real slow until he locked on to me then slowly walked out with him in tow. Hit the hp a couple of times no attacking until I had him in the hall with everyone else. Attacking too soon brings the queen out, so get him around the first corner where everyone should wait for the attack. Saw this technique on my first visit. On my third was as invite...got left with the queen by myself...was plugging on and about to give up when to my fortune four 55lvl people showed up and helped finish her. Got a Fury Shield which I placed on CS and it sold for 725k! Very lucky! Only drop out of both and I chock it up to my stubbornness at leaving a good fight.

Moogerfooger
04-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Only drop out of both and I chock it up to my stubbornness at leaving a good fight.

That's awesome....good to see a drop go to the person who stuck it out the whole time :cool:

modredd
04-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Good for you for taking the time I'm really proud to you that's awesome!

im4broke
04-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks to you all! I have been on cloud 9 all day after reading the compliments. I have learned a great deal from reading the forums.