PDA

View Full Version : Do all the work and get nothing

brims
02-10-2011, 02:54 AM
I am sick of killing the boss all by myself while others are dead on the floor and they get the pink item. DEV, Please make it so if you are the last man standing, you would get the pink item. This has haapen twice today whiling playing with Brucewaynehip and yesterday with Snub. And its items that I need too. Im very upset since I hardly get pinks and I have to waste all the health potions and money so others don't have to spend a dime and for therm not to boot me for not having pink gear on.

Honestly I am embarrassed of how much I've spent on this game.

I do all the work and get nothing in real like and games. I use to think I can play games to escape this for a bit but I guess not.

Inching
02-10-2011, 02:59 AM
i think that your solution is a bit extream.... I think if you are dead, then you should not get drops. The ones standing are still random... that would be fair.

Baked-Potato
02-10-2011, 03:13 AM
I think he meant if a pink drops, it goes to those who are still alive instead of the dead getting it. I like your solution though, and it would be easy since everyone gets their own individual roll. Just have those whose HP < 0 have a null roll.

Corpser
02-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Bad idea it's not someones fault they die when boss is nearly dead if u where them would u Respawn and miss out. I doubt it so why stop others.

Also the drops are random and something I figured out. The person with the least deaths from that run has a higher chance of getting good drop.

Kindread
02-10-2011, 03:40 AM
Making only the surviving member receive the pink will promote a whole bunch of shady last minute bootings and mages purposely not rezzing to secure their loot. Bad idea.

recklessfa
02-10-2011, 03:41 AM
I sure did it too in the past, when I knew I couldn't make it back in time, but I agree.

had a lvl20 join us in BS while dealing with the boss, he died the second he got in the room without hitting the cockroach but I swear I knew he was about to get a pink and not us.

Not this time hopefully but happened a lot in the past.

back to the subject: I agree: dead=no cookie.
But keep it random since we wouldnt want to witness mages 'not noticing you died' behavior now, would we?
Make sense and it's fair.

Baked-Potato
02-10-2011, 03:44 AM
Yes I would respawn. I do when there aren't mages because if there's only one, or two guys alive and, you have enough time to run back. Plus if he/they die also, the boss heals. Too many times have I been with a group where they die and watch me solo a boss. And Ten to one they'll get a better drop than me.

If its not getting loot, then just have their roll automatically drop to the worst loot possible if they are dead when the boss is killed.

Tsarra
02-10-2011, 03:47 AM
I sure did it too in the past, when I knew I couldn't make it back in time, but I agree.

I've never gotten a pink from the floor like this, but I have done it a few times myself. In all seriousness, it shouldn't happen. Dead = no drop.

Also, it seems like I should actually get a pink every time one of you kills a boss, even if I'm not there. Seems only fair. ;)

Riccits
02-10-2011, 03:54 AM
i would like it too: death ppl=> NO LOOT

Tennis
02-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Wait. You can get loot while dead?

rku
02-10-2011, 05:58 AM
What if you're alive the entire fight, doing a lot of work and helping your team considerably, but at the last second the boss kills you right before he goes down. Are you really undeserving of any loot? I think someone else said earlier that this would also lead to some enchantresses not using revive

Riccits
02-10-2011, 06:04 AM
What if you're alive the entire fight, doing a lot of work and helping your team considerably, but at the last second the boss kills you right before he goes down. Are you really undeserving of any loot? I think someone else said earlier that this would also lead to some enchantresses not using revive

true too :-/

Duke
02-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Yeah, a good portion of the time when I'm dead during a boss fight while playing my enchantress, it's because I put myself in harm's way to heal or rez someone else. I don't think I should be punished for that.

recklessfa
02-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Which boss turn on you because you used res or heal?
You should say, my bear didn't try to get the aggro off me, hence I died. Thank you Teddy.

All I see is: It'll increase people awareness survivability bringing in a simple, common sense rule.

Of course there will be the case, I died just a second Before the boss, this s*cks.*
True. Just keep on doing what we're all trying to do: stay alive.
And If mages have nothing to gain from letting you lie on the floor, they won't.

Arf... Give it a lesser chance then, or a 30 second delay idk.
How useful am I anyway when I'm lying on the floor, stargazing instead of pulling my share of the effort?

Lesrider
02-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Bad idea. People have already given several reasons why. So, bad idea.

Ravenous
02-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Very bad idea. This game was made with death to be a certainty (unlike other games). Mages would have a huge advantage followed by warriors and archers would be the butt end of it.

Gluttony
02-10-2011, 08:23 AM
This is a subject that I have wondered about for quite some time. I personally have had to solo Trash Heap, while the rest of my team lay dead so I understand why people feel this way. I don't have a solution, but watching someone die seconds into a boss fight and lay there waiting for it to be over seems like an issue to me.

The pinks for the last survivor does seem like it would open the door to all kinds of shady behavior (last second boots, refusals to revive, etc.) the drops should remain as random as they are, but I feel your pain.

I mean haven't you watched a player refuse to revive/respawn and help out, all just not to die again?

Kujen
02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Y'all need to to realize that whether you get a pink or not is completely independent of the other people in your group. You would have not gotten that pink whether that person was there or not. Everyone gets their own drop and their own roll to determine how good that drop is. It has nothing to do with who is in your group, that kind of thinking is what makes people boot before bosses are dead. Nobody stole your loot, they just had better luck than you.

Sorry, but I dont agree with your idea because it will result in people becoming fearful of aggro. Tanks won't taunt because they might die and get no pink. Birds and mages won't give it their all, because they might die and get no pink. And jerk mages might not Rez people, because they dont want that person to get a pink.

asommers
02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
The fairest solution is the one we have, drops are random.

-ALS

Zerious
02-10-2011, 09:30 AM

-ALS

hear hear
//

Lysdexic
02-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Random is definitely fair, but a few things should be tweaked.

Last night in Keeper, a LVL 1 popped in named Hubbard. He wasn't booted for some reason and tagged along behind. Killed the first mini-boss and the little bastard got a Rift sword... That is absolutely retarded. These noobs should not be able to power-level or get great drops so simply when they don't belong in the first place. They offer NO help.

Echelong
02-10-2011, 09:34 AM

-ALS

Yep that means even if you where the only player in the dungeon you wouldn't have gotten a pink. You might get mad but this is the most fair and least punishing. This has happened to me and with lower level players but like Asommers said it is the most fair.

RedRyder
02-10-2011, 09:41 AM
What a pointless thread. Why would your rage completely alter the mechanics of the game? If someone did all the work or a majority of it and then dies keeping the rest of you alive, why shouldn't they get a drop?
Grow up dude everyone goes through this.

G E T O V E R I T

Zerious
02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
G E T O V E R I T

Lol tattoo that on your knuckles :D

RedRyder
02-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Random is definitely fair, but a few things should be tweaked.

Last night in Keeper, a LVL 1 popped in named Hubbard. He wasn't booted for some reason and tagged along behind. Killed the first mini-boss and the little bastard got a Rift sword... That is absolutely retarded. These noobs should not be able to power-level or get great drops so simply when they don't belong in the first place. They offer NO help.

If that happens it's due to the stupidity of the host. There's a box to mark off that keeps out players that aren't in the appropriate level range. And anything dropped by the mini bosses is trash save for the Sunblessed bow lol get over it

Echelong
02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Lol tattoo that on your knuckles :D

You have 6 fingers in one hand? if not you would need an additional knuckle

relayer
02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't like this idea either.. if you happen to be the only mage in a group helping out throughout and die right at the end.. if you respawn at entry you will most likely miss out on well deserved loot.

The only way I see it working if there is a timer..maybe if you lay dead for like 2 minutes it just auto respawns you?

Royce
02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
The only way I see it working if there is a timer..maybe if you lay dead for like 2 minutes it just auto respawns you?

There already is a timer. After 3 min dead I think it is, you no longer get XP or drops.

StompArtist
02-10-2011, 10:07 AM
There already is a timer. After 3 min dead I think it is, you no longer get XP or drops.

You get XP when you are dead??

relayer
02-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Ah nice..then the solution is already in place :)

Echelong
02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
You get XP when you are dead??

Yep and drops. But no quest items or at least I haven't got any while dead.

recklessfa
02-10-2011, 10:18 AM
I still can't agree with the initial post but, it had two aspects : the drop suggestion and the teamwork aspect.

I'll be for anything that could promote teamwork, having a full balanced team, having bears back on the front, needed and useful, having them compelled to get bosses aggro back from a squeaking bird or master their skills the efficient way that make us want to friend them and stay behind them, having mages weary of others' health, spamming aoe, knowing they're safe, not having a player stay in the back barely shooting in auto, blahblah...

Since STS can't bring in a new combat rebalance, by fear of removing the fun out of it, I wish too it could be dealt with via the drops or the xp gained...

Too complicated sadly, and certainly not the best way to do it, so forget about it.

That leave us with the boss drop suggestion :
3 minutes is a long time.
It's a simple Death=too bad equation.
(not the "they're all dead, I get to have a pink ahahah, fools" wich is impossible)

There's no fairness, I agree with devs to seek in there. You are DEAD, random or not, you theoretically can't be wining something for lying on the floor.

But That's all good. Idc.
I get my share of death too, and my mage is a pretty good runner as well.
just liked the idea that made sense to me, when we came to it few posts later.

Rest in peace thread.

Sky../
02-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Didn't read the whole thread (only up to page 2 so forgive me if this has been mentioned)

How about making it so that, if the boss dies with 5 secs of your death, you still get your usual roll. But if it's longer than than, you get half a chance of getting loot, or none at all.

KingFu
02-10-2011, 10:27 AM
No, keep it as it is. They already added the rule that after 2 minutes of being dead you don't get any loot or exp. You're complainant about others dying but maybe you should try playing with a good group. I don't think anything along the lines of last man standing gets a pink...

Sky../
02-10-2011, 10:28 AM
2 mins is too long. Cut it down to 30 secs

StompArtist
02-10-2011, 10:30 AM

I tend to agree but there is so much other things that could be worked on right now that I see this as a very minor issue. Personally I think dead people should not get anything ever. I don't care how much they contributed... they still died.

KingFu
02-10-2011, 10:31 AM

No, 2 minutes is fine. It was made to prevent people being afk in sarcaphagous and getting drops all night. 30 seconds is too fast. I've been in parties that didn't have a Mage, and someone died, and sat there for a decent amount of time because he didn't have time to respawn, well, he didn't think he did. He still got loot since it wasn't very long that he was sitting there for, but 30 seconds may have made it close. I don't even think the rule is needed anymore, since if they're going afk, you can boot em, or rev them, and if they sit afk all night, who cares? They're not getting loot.

Lesrider
02-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Some dungeons are too big to walk all the way back in 30 seconds. Especially the new ones with all the traps on the ground. It would suck to be the only Mage in a group, die when the boss is almost dead, respawn and get nothing. Meanwhile, if anyone else dies besides you, they easily get revived.
Anyway, Asommers said it's not changing, so good.

Sky../
02-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Well i can see how 30 secs may be too short of a time to come back to the boss. But then, 2 mins? How many bosses in the game lasts that long?

kopi
02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
in other online games i played, there's this 'looting right', only those players have done enough damage to the boss gets the right to loot his drop. And i actually like that idea. We don't have the issue of a low level tagging behind and getting good drops

Gluttony
02-10-2011, 11:57 AM
in other online games i played, there's this 'looting right', only those players have done enough damage to the boss gets the right to loot his drop. And i actually like that idea. We don't have the issue of a low level tagging behind and getting good drops

I have to admit I like this idea, but what about those groups that like to have a mage sit outside just in case the party gets KO'ed (Overlord, K&Q, etc.) I've seen groups do it, I don't think it's the best tactic, but I know it happens.

Royce
02-10-2011, 12:00 PM

I hate games like that. I played another mobile MMO that used that system for XP, and it took so long to level a healer that I just quit. Tanks and support mages would get screwed by a system like that. It's really most fair as it is now, everything's random so no one else affects your drop.

noobmigo
02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Most Dmg dealed/ kills/ least deaths averaged or something=higher chance to loot would be uncheatable.

Royce
02-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Most Dmg dealed/ kills/ least deaths averaged or something=higher chance to loot would be uncheatable.

The only way it would ever really be fair (and I doubt it is feasible) would be if damage healed by mages, and aggro held by tanks also entered into the equation. If not, no one would play anything but birds, and maybe a fee mages.

Kujen
02-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I tend to agree but there is so much other things that could be worked on right now that I see this as a very minor issue. Personally I think dead people should not get anything ever. I don't care how much they contributed... they still died.

You die when you get aggro. With that reasoning, people will stop contributing because then they get less aggro, be less likely to die, more likely to get loot. So why would anyone try their best if it could them killed and make them lose out on loot? Why would a bear bother to taunt? Let someone else take aggro because I'd want the loot lol.

noobmigo
02-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Ok then....
Total Damage Dealed-every 5k dmg dealed to mobs=0.5?% of loot?
Total Damage Recovered (as in heal)-every 3k dmg healed=0.5% of loot?
Total Damage Taken=every 2k dmg taken=0.5% of loot?
Total Mobs with aggro kept=every 5 mobs=0.5% of loot?
Total Deaths=Every death=-0.1% of loot?
Dead when boss drops=-5% of loot.

Better?

Royce
02-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Better?

Better than drops being based purely on damage? Yes. Better than the current random system? Not really IMO. If you find people who don't contribute, just don't play with them any more ;) The current system works fine for me...

judgementbow
02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I think I was in one of your groups yesterday and got a pink on my int mage. I died at the end since everyone thought it would be fun to either run towards me or stay grouped with everyone else when they got the "fever". I was timing my mana shield and spamming my pots, but it's hard to survive in robes when everyone is just trying to nuke the boss with no strategy. Normally, I would release and run back but gold fever was probably 20 seconds from being dead.

KingFu
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Not to mention then people wearing top tier gear come into the equation, and all bears will go from tanks to bearsurkers, mages will no longer have rev, because the invest all in damage, archers will worry more about damage than dps and debuffing, 1H weapons will become nearly dead. So manu things will happen to make it worse, I prefer random.

Punktate
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
How about if the boss has less than say... 1/10 of their health left and someone dies, they get the loot. Otherwise, they dont.

StompArtist
02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
You die when you get aggro. With that reasoning, people will stop contributing because then they get less aggro, be less likely to die, more likely to get loot. So why would anyone try their best if it could them killed and make them lose out on loot? Why would a bear bother to taunt? Let someone else take aggro because I'd want the loot lol.

I disagree. If that happened then the group would not be able to defeat the boss. I have been with plenty of party who did bosses without dying every few seconds. If a bear does not taunt and get agrro then the boss will go for the birds first and mage next... Next thing you know the bear is alone with no healer... I am saying you should not get loot if you are dead when the boss is defeated. Still get loot if someone revs you in time.

Kujen
02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I've played with many bears who don't taunt. I can't count how many times my bird and mage ended up tanking on bosses like the keeper. Some bears think they're just dps and never taunt, I can tell when the taunt icon is never under their name. Also, if something like this happened, there will be mages who don't Rez people just to be jerks. I remember once in plasma there was only one Mage, my friend died and the Mage just said "haha" and didn't Rez him. People like that will abuse this so that others won't get drops. Of course there are good groups and bad groups, and if you play in a party of friends you know you can trust them. But I play in a lot of PUGs, and PUGs are like a box of chocolates..you never know what you're gonna get!

Dizzy
02-10-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm an int mage. I die a lot because I'm squishy and pure mages have the worst armor in the game... And the tougher the boss, the more likely I'll die. A lot of bosses can one-hit kill me. But as long as I can stay alive, I'm spamming heal and rez to keep the rest of the group alive, not to mention the huge amounts of damage I can deal in between healing and rez'ing.

It's not really fair to let me out of the loot just because I'm built soft. I don't mind trading poor defense for having awesome offence; I like being strong and being able to help my team so much. Just because I'm dead when the boss goes down doesn't mean I wasn't a large part of helping to put him down.

Each class does something different on a team. Bears don't have as many kills but keep bosses away. Mages heal and rez but die a lot themselves. Birds can debuff and do great range attacks, but aren't as powerful as mages. The only fair way is to keep things the way they are.

Which means sometimes a lvl 2 will wander into the boss battle just as he dies and gets that rare pink. It means that doofus who kept running ahead and aggroing the entire dungeon and pulling them back to the group might get the best drop. And sometimes you'll be the best member of the team and get that drop yourself. Random.

StompArtist
02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I am all for random drops. But I still think that dead people should get nothing. How many times have you gotten a drop while dead? Also if you are the only mage in the group and the players are not protecting you then why in the world are you bothering with them to begin with? I wouldn't heal them at all and just leave the instance. But then again this is a very minor issue with the game and would rather see the devs release the world famous and long awaited squirrel suit than spend time on changing the way drops are awarded...

noobmigo
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I am all for random drops. But I still think that dead people should get nothing. How many times have you gotten a drop while dead? Also if you are the only mage in the group and the players are not protecting you then why in the world are you bothering with them to begin with? I wouldn't heal them at all and just leave the instance. But then again this is a very minor issue with the game and would rather see the devs release the world famous and long awaited squirrel suit than spend time on changing the way drops are awarded...

I got a zuraz shock lance dead once while I was AFK, but I gave it to the guy that was still there after I was not AFK anymore.

Ona
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I've played with many bears who don't taunt. I can't count how many times my bird and mage ended up tanking on bosses like the keeper. Some bears think they're just dps and never taunt, I can tell when the taunt icon is never under their name. Also, if something like this happened, there will be mages who don't Rez people just to be jerks. I remember once in plasma there was only one Mage, my friend died and the Mage just said "haha" and didn't Rez him. People like that will abuse this so that others won't get drops. Of course there are good groups and bad groups, and if you play in a party of friends you know you can trust them. But I play in a lot of PUGs, and PUGs are like a box of chocolates..you never know what you're gonna get!

Hehe, this morning, we met a bear who didn't have taunt in his skills... Well, he was honest enough to tell it to me in PM after I asked him 2-3 times. The weird thing is that he didn't even know what was taunt. So, I checked him and he had about 11k kills, some in PVP and he had completed almost all the quests. Very weird...at some point, I even wondered if some players sold their account despite the fact that it's prohibited.
Or this guy just has no curiosity...

EDIT: to get back to the subject. It's better to remain random. This morning, I died twice just before Gold fever went down and nobody can say I was useless.

StompArtist
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Hehe, this morning, we met a bear who didn't have taunt in his skills... Well, he was honest enough to tell it to me in PM after I asked him 2-3 times. The weird thing is that he didn't even know what was taunt. So, I checked him and he had about 11k kills, some in PVP and he had completed almost all the quests. Very weird...at some point, I even wondered if some players sold their account despite the fact that it's prohibited.
Or this guy is just the less curious person on earth...

I had to respect to get taunt back a little while ago. For some reason I was originally convinced it did not work and was useless...

Kujen
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Taunt is one of those skills that you automatically get a point in. He must have respecced at some point, that's the only way he wouldn't have taunt. Unless someone is a Pvp twink, they should have taunt. Or they have no intention of tanking...Which is annoying :p

StompArtist
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Taunt is one of those skills that you automatically get a point in. He must have respecced at some point, that's the only way he wouldn't have taunt. Unless someone is a Pvp twink, they should have taunt. Or they have no intention of tanking...Which is annoying :p

Might have done what I did in the past. Thought it did not work and took the point back... I drove my first bear up to level 48 or so without taunt...

brims
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
This became a major issue for many players when items became more and more expenive. Before alien oasis came, pink items would go to the player who needed it no matter who recieved the item. Moarpoopie tried to expain this to Snub. And yes, Snub died right in the beginning of the fight and layed there until he got the pink drop. Which is always the case. Its seems pinks usually drop for the weakest or lowest level player in the group as mentioned in many other forums.

I'm always fair with my drops as many old school players know. I remember when the rift set just came out I was one of the first to get a Skull Shield which went to my good friend Fattmando. Myself and Blessknight would also farm together for a thoth talon and we would either split the the profit or trade for another pink. Those were the days......

Finally solution: Make a MAX CAP for item drops. Of course Spacetimestudios would never do this because they would make less money. I'm sure leechers would have plenty to say as well. As many of my good friends leave or play less I think I will have to do the same.

I really enjoyed Pocket Legends too.

TwinkTastical
02-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Lol, i doubt you did "all the work" if a boss is 1/100th hp, and you kill it, its not all the work. Tanks only have it hard when its the "Queen/king divorce making" And even then, we dont cry on the forums. ^.^

Zerious
02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Finally solution: Make a MAX CAP for item drops...

hell no. That would kill farming, and EVERYONE farms at some point so that's just a terrible idea... Unless of course you meant a minimum level requirement to obtain better drops.... That would definitely work

Phoenixking
02-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Bad idea it's not someones fault they die when boss is nearly dead if u where them would u Respawn and miss out. I doubt it so why stop others.

Also the drops are random and something I figured out. The person with the least deaths from that run has a higher chance of getting good drop.

Yea your right i was joining a freind in vl they were killing keeper so i joined in and i didnt die and when i killed keeper i got a force cutter of the rift lol

Norbert
02-10-2011, 06:30 PM
If dead == no loot, here come the bears. If I play my bird or mage and tough it out the whole fight, taking aggro cause the bear won't taunt and then die at the last second, I should get no loot? Nonsense. Suck it up, it's a roll for everyone and someone else getting something good has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with your outcome.

Sorry, but this is a terrible idea. It would lead to the above mentioned 'mage ignores' along with people shirking the fight and lurking away from bosses, etc.

WhoIsThis
02-10-2011, 09:17 PM
I hate games like that. I played another mobile MMO that used that system for XP, and it took so long to level a healer that I just quit. Tanks and support mages would get screwed by a system like that. It's really most fair as it is now, everything's random so no one else affects your drop.

Agreed. As a pure int mage as my main, it's true that I do a substantial amount of damage, even against bosses but I die a lot more.

The current system, although imperfect is the way to go.

Fyrce
02-11-2011, 01:13 AM
I have no problems with the current system. If someone is so bad, don't play with them again. Leave ASAP. If most of your group is hopeless, again leave. It's in your self-interest to find a more fun place to play.

spacehamster
02-11-2011, 01:18 AM
I totally feel your pain; just finshed a round in which the whole party (of mages) died in the beginning of trash heap. My bird somehow survived despite being the lowest lvl in the room and was left to solo while one heartful mage respawned and tried to make her way back. Unfortunately she died again upon hitting the chamber and was just out of range for rez. Bless her heart, she made the journy again just in time for the drop. All this time there are 3 dead mages on the floor. It must have been somewhere in that 2-3 min window because 2 of them didn't recieve a drop while the third received 2 drops. Yup, dead guy got two drops. (bug?)

Reguardless, I still believe the system in place is the most fair option anyone has mentioned. I might be ticked that folks are too lazy to walk, but I think I'll just have to suck it up and remember not to play with those... people again.

Kujen
02-13-2011, 02:20 PM
There must be something kind of in place already. I was just in a group that killed the goblin king. Before any of us joined, there was this dead bear in the boss room. Mages revived him but he never got up, never respawned, just stayed on the ground. I could tell he wasn't afk because I saw him go busy next to his name..like he was opening menus.

Anyway, we killed the goblin king but this leecher got no drop. I don't know if it's because he was dead so long or because he did 0 damage to the boss, but he got nothing. I'm perfectly ok with this, if you're dead to begin with and just sit there while everyone else does to work, and you don't even get up..then you deserve nothing. But i still don't think it would be fair to penalize people who did work and just happen to die before the boss dies.