PDA

View Full Version : Customizable Crafting

Gluttony
02-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty new to the whole MMORPG scene, but I know RPGs. Usually when there is an aspect of crafting you need base materials, a piece of gear and an item modifier type material (gems in this case). When crafting an item I would like the ability to add a gem modifier to the item in order to get an increase in that specific item (up to 3 max), this would be a one time craft and cannot be reattempted. All items would be consumed in the craft, and the item would only retain it's stats while it remains in the toon's inventory. If the item is stashed or placed in cs then item reverts to a non-modified crafted weapon. The gems would have to become droppable in all campaigns and initially this system would only be applied to the crafted items currently available. If it were to gain success it could eventually be transferred to new gear.

Example:
Custom gemstone leather
Base materials: Fine leather panel x2, Leather cord, Gemstone setting
Gear: Raid Roach Gemstone Leather
Modifier:
Magic gem (+5 M/s)
Presto gem (+5 H/s)
Focus gem (+1 Crit)
Hawkeye gem (+1 Hit %)
Power gem (+1 DPS)
Gladiator gem (+2 Armor)
Swift gem (+0.5 Dodge)
Berserker gem (+2 Damage)

It's been months and there has been no real changes to the crafting system itself, but when there is a small implementation (adding extra stats to a set) that item become extremely popular and a surge of crafters appear. I see the current system replaces this stat for that stat, and causes people to avoid crafting completely. If was possible to choose the stats that were changed via the crafting process it might be possible to allow each player to create an item that caters to their own needs. I'm just thinking of an idea that would make most reasonably happy with the crafting system.

Physiologic
02-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I can see this happening in the future once they have crafting fortified in-game, and once everyone knows pretty much how to craft.

Gluttony
02-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Well I hope so, I know that the addition of a new system is a process but I'm curious why they didn't adapt a system from a single player RPG and apply it here. It would have allowed them to see how things would project to work out in the future. As I see it now, the items are very single use and have no real affect on anything. Basically gather these items to make another item, no real customization at all.

For instance, why make multiple gems if they don't modify the craft in a particular way. For inventory sake wouldn't it have been easier to just have one "universal" gem. The way it is now people have to farm for days to get the specific gem they want (or trade, or buy). The gems act as the rare pink item for the level 5 & 15. Still, it almost drags the process out a bit too much.

Physiologic
02-11-2011, 07:29 PM
To the average casual player, crafting is still very confusing (take a look at all the questions in the Craft subforums). I think once they fine-tune the whole system, they'll expand - they did mention that crafting will expand more and more (there's only 2 crafter NPCs in FH and the Sewers, so there's a lot of in-between crafting items they can add in).

Gluttony
02-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Will starting a system and thing modifying it bit my bit actually help people who don't know what they're doing, or will it actually cause everyone to re-learn the system after every patch? I think this system is actually pretty ineffective (currently) but drops are super rare and the recipies are unobtainable. People are struggling because the system is incomplete. Can any gear be crafted currently without a platinum (pre-patch) recipe?

Physiologic
02-11-2011, 09:06 PM
It'll take time to grow, as it's only day 5 or so that the crafting system has been implemented; the devs do listen to our concerns/suggestions, though. And yes, gear can still be crafted, the only rate-limiting step is the recipe drops from bosses.

Register
05-18-2011, 05:51 PM
crafting fun.....end of discussion!