PDA

View Full Version : Gold Fever: what do the chests actually do?

BeefyMeat
02-11-2011, 09:27 PM
So, noobish question here but I've beaten him quite a bit since the release and I can't for the life of me figure out what they do. It seems like if you kill them, they let off an AOE attack that nails you....or maybe Gold Fever does.

Either way, I'm still not convinced you even need to waste time with those when killing him and they do more harm than good when getting rid of them...

Or am I just missing the big picture on something here?

Ladylove
02-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the chests heal him. Also, I think if you don't break the chests, he'll keep attacking. When the celebrate emote goes off one someone, that person is stuck with a bomb. Spread out when you see this and the team won't get hit so hard. It's also a good time for all enchantresses to cast mana shield. Mana shield with full mana will most likely save enchantresses and give them the chance to heal and rev.

Kossi
02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
i think that you cant do any damage unless you kill the chest,,IMO

Ladylove
02-11-2011, 09:39 PM
i think that you cant do any damage unless you kill the chest,,IMO

Ah that might be part of it. Will have to fight him again and watch his health.

FluffNStuff
02-11-2011, 10:55 PM
It says 'shield removed' when you destroy the green orb chest. This boss is essential to have a good tank taking agro. This is because I have found no way to get rid of the initial fever without 'absorbing' it and then being healed by pot or mage. This blast takes a good chunk of my tanks health, and believe it can one hit a mage or bird. The most important thing though is to spread out, and when you have the fever, move a way from the other players. If you 'explode' next to them, they will also catch the fever and explode. This can very quickly cause a chain reaction that wipes the team, especially when multiple players catch it at the same time. Note that a player 'killed' by someone else fever will still catch the fever, and their 'corpse' can explode and spread it.

WhoIsThis
02-11-2011, 11:47 PM
It says 'shield removed' when you destroy the green orb chest. This boss is essential to have a good tank taking agro. This is because I have found no way to get rid of the initial fever without 'absorbing' it and then being healed by pot or mage. This blast takes a good chunk of my tanks health, and believe it can one hit a mage or bird. The most important thing though is to spread out, and when you have the fever, move a way from the other players. If you 'explode' next to them, they will also catch the fever and explode. This can very quickly cause a chain reaction that wipes the team, especially when multiple players catch it at the same time. Note that a player 'killed' by someone else fever will still catch the fever, and their 'corpse' can explode and spread it.

It can one hit a bird or mage ... I am pure int. I casted my mana shield. The bomb did about 700 damage I'd estimate. My mana shield has about 750 mana when I first fought him (level 50) and it nearly depleted it.

Ellyidol
02-12-2011, 12:03 AM
I don't know what it exactly does, but we seem to be able to just kill him by having the aggro on the bear alone.

I haven't really noticed the chests doing much, the orb gets to him but it doesn't seem to shield/heal him. The most annoying part is its gold fever bomb, it tends to hit low, then really high at times. Weird.

Ayrilana
02-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Goldfever (Bandit Boy Hideout)

In addition to direct hits, Goldfever has a special attack/skill called Gold Fever. This is like a debuff. It appears to do some damage and briefly stun the player. In addition, it starts a timer, which on expiration causes the player himself to cast Gold Fever, infecting any other players nearby. When Goldfever infects a player directly, a green orb appears on Goldfever, and also on at least one of the Soul Chests; breaking one of these chests fast enough will “cure” the fever and prevent the player blasting others. You'll recognize that someone has the fever because they'll be doing a “Celebrate!” emote continually.

Note: Like other attacks, Gold Fever is dodgeable, so sometimes the orbs will appear with no player being infected.

Note: Keep in mind that in addition to the blast damage, the fever is infectious. Players hit by the blast will also get the fever, and themselves explode, even if they die in the blast.

Note: There is some condition under which you can get multiple orbs—I'm no longer certain what it is—but they all disappear when you break one chest.

Special note: Why do I run out of pots when I have aggro? If I'm kiting, there is a very careful balance between my distance from the boss and his range to hit me. I can kite for a long time solo, but if other players are pushing him around, it often pushes him in range to hit and stun me. Then either I die or I spam pots and pray. If there's a bear in the group, I shouldn't be keeping aggro anyway. If I think it's a hopeless situation, I may just let myself die faster and save the pots. Yes, you heard it here: your (push) attack on the boss is killing me (indirectly), and probably also you.

Questions:
Does proximity to the chest and/or Goldfever matter for curing the fever?
Can a single chest cure multiple players?
Does leaving the orb on Goldfever and not breaking a chest prevent him from infecting anyone?

My whacko theory is that Goldfever's attack actually leeches your HP (soul, as in Soul Leech) and stores it in his chests (possibly for his later consumption), and that opening a chest gives back those HP to the opener. I'm still collecting data on this.

From his guide

FluffNStuff
02-12-2011, 01:05 AM
I don't know what it exactly does, but we seem to be able to just kill him by having the aggro on the bear alone.

I haven't really noticed the chests doing much, the orb gets to him but it doesn't seem to shield/heal him. The most annoying part is its gold fever bomb, it tends to hit low, then really high at times. Weird.

The 'high' is when the player with the fever infects the group, then you get multiple explosions at once, which usually wipes everyone involved.

Ellyidol
02-12-2011, 01:31 AM
The 'high' is when the player with the fever infects the group, then you get multiple explosions at once, which usually wipes everyone involved.

Yeah I get that. But at times when I'm tanking alone, and I get the fever, it sometimes does 1/4 of me, then at times I get one shotted even. Lol

I find it funny too how even the dead players have bombs on them, some thinking they're dead just walk over them, then boom! Lol

mycroftxxx
02-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Also funny when the team wipes after killing Goldfever, because nobody was paying attention to the fact that the fever was still active. I've seen that more than a few times…

Ellyidol
02-12-2011, 02:02 AM
HAHA. I love that.

This is actually one boss that one tank is just more than enough. I always tell another bear to leave taunting to me, so the bomb doesn't keep switching and I can be the one to just move away, then he taunts and gets bomb, and worst of all he runs to the group. Yay!