View Full Version : Huge crafting glitch/scam

Gluttony
02-12-2011, 05:11 AM
Ok, so I made a post wondering why some items I have don't actually show up checked off in the crafting screen, turns out that some people are getting scammed and don't actually know it. Here's how it works (I'm posting this in hope that people actually stop purchasing/trading items until this is fixed).

As it turns out some green items and their recipes show up as the exact same item. Here is an example:

Basic Magician's Wand; I don't have the materials for it but can Buy, so I click buy and suddenly I have it but actually I have the recipe and no real way to tell them apart except when crafting (or stashing).

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7906/img0384k.png

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2174/img0385.png

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8159/img0398.png

Here is example 2:

I have 2 Basic Wing Shields, but only one was actually crafted and can be used to create something else. I can sell them both in CS. This is where people are getting scammed because one cannot be used to craft, just to create the wing shield.

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/1133/img0391.png

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8230/img0396.png

Proof that stashing is the only other way to tell if you have been scammed:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5385/img0389k.png

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8759/img0390e.png

I hope this helps some people and answers the question why some items that you actually own are not showing up checked off. I guess this thread goes out to the person who scammed me; not sure if you knew or not, but without you this all wouldn't be possible (at least until someone else noticed it).

Edit: A possible solution would be to remove the recipe checkmark completely; make recipes drop (maybe a bit more often for lower level equipment) then the recipe gets added to your crafting list permanently. For instance, everyone starts with a blank crafting list. When you get a recipe drop it lists the items you need to create said item. You then find these items if you don't have them and create. As it is now the buy button on the crafting list is glitched (you can buy an extra without the materials, like a buy one get one free), so just remove it and only have the create button after all the materials are gathered. Recipes could be quest items (like the cyber quests for cyber items).

Formora
02-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Hmm so that explains why I can't craft with them. Oh well.. I'll still need the recipes anyway right? Lol

Tarkemelion
02-12-2011, 05:57 AM
So very true .......

Cheah
02-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Omg, thanks for point that out!!!

So "gemstone setting" from CS is actually "gemstone setting recipe" which is free from forge.
No wonder is doesnt check when we wanna craft.
oMg omg, I have purchase tons of it from CS. The fellow name Moneybug.....He still selling tons of this in CS.
dev pls pls do someting. < change the item name, and it should be untraceable. btw if it is free why we need one more complicated step to purchase again.

OMG Omg, can't believe I was scammed by Moneybug. U awesome:)

ballersburden
02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
This was the loophole I had found haha.

Honestly, you can make around 100k easily in a day like this... depending how much you do it.

Royce
02-12-2011, 04:09 PM
This was the loophole I had found haha.

Honestly, you can make around 100k easily in a day like this... depending how much you do it.

Love it when people proudly declare taking part in an exploit. Hope the devs read your post ;)

Physiologic
02-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Love it when people proudly declare taking part in an exploit. Hope the devs read your post ;)

I find it funny because he can't even edit his post now, since you quoted him :D

ballersburden
02-12-2011, 04:40 PM
I said I had found this, I mentioned in chat that they can PM me.

If anyone saw it was moneybug doing this over and over.

I only have TWO aution slots. Moneybug has like all avaliable.

If I were to want to do that, and actually take advantage of it I would have bought all auction slots I can and done it non-stop.

It would take someone like me forever to do, I'm busy chasing pinks.

But yes I agree, they should add something that distinguishes it from the one you can use to craft with so people don't mistakenly buy it thinking it's the other.

Elyseon
02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah, thanks for that pointer, thankfully I only got scammed for about 5k and no more, I'll make sure to not buy any of that any more

ballersburden
02-12-2011, 07:51 PM
They need to add the word "recipe" at the end of all recipes.

When I actually make the item, I want to be able to sell it without people thinking it's the scam one selling for so much more... or I don't want them thinking they can get this item for free when it's the actual item and not the free recipe.

FluffNStuff
02-12-2011, 08:21 PM
They let you sell 'free' recipes in the CS. That is clearly a bug and should be patched. They already 'distinguish' it by keeping you from stashing.

Gluttony
02-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Glad I could help, spread the word! I'm hoping the devs fix this soon as there is already a distinction between the two (as Fluff pointed out) so a patch to change the names and add recipe seems to be a simple solution. Some people who haven't been informed are going to be quite displeased when they realize the 100k they sent on Gemstone Settings was all for nothing.

FluffNStuff
02-12-2011, 09:56 PM
I would be cautious to spread the word as this could definitely be considered an exploit. The people selling know they should not be selling a free item. I would not be suprised if when a developer sees this and adds it to the list,'they remove this thread to prevent people copy catting this.

Ellyidol
02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
No wonder why I've been hearing so much hate against this. Never realised til a friend actually pointed out to me how bad this is.

Shouldn't players caught doing this be banned? Its a straightforward scam/bug exploit.

Gluttony
02-12-2011, 10:23 PM
I would be cautious to spread the word as this could definitely be considered an exploit. The people selling know they should not be selling a free item. I would not be surprised if when a developer sees this and adds it to the list,'they remove this thread to prevent people copy catting this.

I understand that starting threads like this is a double-edged sword, but I though educating people was a better than just allowing scammers to run rampant. If someone reads this and gets any "bright" ideas, I would hope the idea of a permanent ban would be a good deterrent. It's clearly an exploit that was overlooked in the patch and using it should have consequences. Guess this will be the end of my whistle blowing.

Hullukko
02-13-2011, 12:47 PM
ffs. i bought several basic 1h steel blades and basic wands that i thought were surprisingly cheap.

since this is a result from an obvious flaw in the game im not at all happy and i am pointing the finger towards the devs.

Riccits
02-14-2011, 04:37 AM
i may made 50k selling those items :) LOOOOOL

yeah its a bad bug, plz fix it!

Ellyidol
02-14-2011, 04:55 AM
i may made 50k selling those items :) LOOOOOL

yeah its a bad bug, plz fix it!

I think I remember you selling the Fine Plate Scrap. That should be fine since thats an actual ingredient for a recipe. :)

Riccits
02-14-2011, 05:06 AM
the fine plate/cloth/leather scrap u dont become for the crafter guy in BS ;) but from the daily quests!

i sold some basic items and gemstones.... noone will get rich with them... i just sell it bcz i become for free and have some spot in CS...

drewcapu
02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
I think the obvious solution is to have all recipe items say "recipe" in the name. Some kind of shorhand designation like [R] would even work.

:)

There should already be different descriptions when you "preview" the item, right?

Gluttony
02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
There should already be different descriptions when you "preview" the item, right?

No, the descriptions are exactly the same (pics in op). So far the only way I have been able to tell is by using the stash or the crafting checklist.

Snakespeare
02-14-2011, 12:09 PM
If I understand, what you are pointing out is that recipes and items look the same in trade? But recipes are level 1 and the item the recipe is for is higher than that.

But I agree. It is too easy to scam someone by claiming to be selling an item when you are really selling a recipe (that will require many other pieces and some sort of gem).

Maybe they can make it easier to differentiate the items in trade.

CowboyJim
02-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Well, no one scammed me but I did buy some items in the store like you guys are talking about....Thought I was getting a basic 1hand sword but it was just the recipe.....there definitely should be some kind of designation or description change so you can tell these apart in the CS.....After I read the thread, I went to forge in BS and told him I wanted to craft an item that required a 1hand sword and it didn't show as a checked item......so I told him I wanted to craft a basic 1hand sword and the box for the recipe was checked off....that's how I knew I had bought the recipe.....:-(

Norbert
02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
If I understand, what you are pointing out is that recipes and items look the same in trade? But recipes are level 1 and the item the recipe is for is higher than that.

But I agree. It is too easy to scam someone by claiming to be selling an item when you are really selling a recipe (that will require many other pieces and some sort of gem).

Maybe they can make it easier to differentiate the items in trade.

Unfortunately the item and the recipe both show as level 1 so as far as I can tell there's no way to differentiate them.

Xymorg
02-14-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm also concerned about the Basic Magic Wand from your example. I couldn't see any of the lvl 55 pink recipes that actually used it as a crafting component. They all use the basic magicians staff as components, even the wands.

If this was a glitch that will later or if both ways of ramping up the premium wood are meant to be equivalent that would be good to know before crafting the raws into intermediates. As it is, the basic wand intermediate seems to be a dead end for the 55's.

Xymorg
02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Maybe I didn't say it clearly :

Your screen shot for the level 55 pink craftable doesn't show that you don't have a Basic Magician's Wand, it shows that you don't have two Basic Magician's Staffs.

Your point about the recipe scamming is good, but your screenshot, and everything I looked at in game, show that the Basic Magician's Wand isn't a usable component on the level 55 recipes, which is another issue.

Gluttony
02-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Maybe I didn't say it clearly :

Your screen shot for the level 55 pink craftable doesn't show that you don't have a Basic Magician's Wand, it shows that you don't have two Basic Magician's Staffs.

Your point about the recipe scamming is good, but your screenshot, and everything I looked at in game, show that the Basic Magician's Wand isn't a usable component on the level 55 recipes, which is another issue.

I didn't have a Basic Magician's Staff, which was my point, I only had the recipe. The example you are looking for is in the other screenshots (example 2) where I have a Basic Wing Shield and a Basic Wing Shield (recipe), only one shows up as checked off because only one is an actual crafting material while the other is a recipe.

Xymorg
02-15-2011, 12:28 AM
I didn't have a Basic Magician's Staff, which was my point, I only had the recipe. The example you are looking for is in the other screenshots (example 2) where I have a Basic Wing Shield and a Basic Wing Shield (recipe), only one shows up as checked off because only one is an actual crafting material while the other is a recipe.
Yes, I follow the point on the recipe & item being indistinguishable from each other in most cases. It's a good point.

The screen shots in example 1 show that the recipe you got was for a Basic Magicians Wand, not a Basic Magicians Staff like the recipe for the lvl 55 gem star wand calls for two units of. It's confusing that the wand recipe uses basic staffs & there doesn't seem to be any lvl 55 pink recipes that use the Basic Magicians Wand as a component.

Making wood into wands is apparently a waste unless the basic wand & basic staff are interchangeable, in which case I apologize for the confusion.

Gluttony
02-15-2011, 12:43 AM
It's confusing that the wand recipe uses basic staffs & there doesn't seem to be any lvl 55 pink recipes that use the Basic Magicians Wand as a component.

Making wood into wands is apparently a waste unless the basic wand & basic staff are interchangeable, in which case I apologize for the confusion.

Your point is very valid, out of all of the level 55 wands that can be created none of them seem to use Basic Magician's Wand only Staff, making the Wand indeed useless.

Uimacaz
02-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Your point is very valid, out of all of the level 55 wands that can be created none of them seem to use Basic Magician's Wand only Staff, making the Wand indeed useless.

I imagine this is a mistake - I would report it. Another interesting thing is the Chain Mail Scrap given by the Daily Quest "Kidnapped" in Balefort Sewers. You can craft the Scraps into a Fine Chain piece, but there is no weapon nor armor that uses it after that. I hope this is just something they're adding...

- Adam

Atila the nun
02-18-2011, 02:18 PM
The confusion between recipes and items seems to be fixed since the latest patch. Can anyone else confirm this?

Physiologic
02-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Recipes now have "RECIPES: " before the item name.

Arcanahasabumrash
02-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Wow, im gonna TOTALLY do this. But thanks for info. It really helped cuz im like WHY ISNT IT MAKING ME CRAFT LV.15 MAGE Stuff for my mage. I have ALL materials. But I bought some stuff from C.S. but THANKS A LOT

Tarkemelion
02-27-2011, 12:25 AM
This glitch was driving me nuts actually.... Rly lame

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x429/Tarkemelion/58a7d0d5.jpg

Tarkemelion
02-27-2011, 12:31 AM
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x429/Tarkemelion/5e0abaac.jpg this is justg ages ago :)

Snakespeare
02-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Wow, im gonna TOTALLY do this. But thanks for info. It really helped cuz im like WHY ISNT IT MAKING ME CRAFT LV.15 MAGE Stuff for my mage. I have ALL materials. But I bought some stuff from C.S. but THANKS A LOT

You only THINK you have all the materials. You also have to have a recipe, which is a single-use item that can only be found as a rare drop from a boss in Forest Haven. Many people think all they need is gem, thread, and panels, but there is actually one more checkbox there, for the recipe. And recipes are very rare.