PDA

View Full Version : Why join a guild?

whizzyrich
12-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Hi guys.

Been playing for a couple of weeks as a mage. Currently level 28.

Now and then I receive an invitation from a guild. My past experiences with guilds in other games has been mixed. The biggest pro for joining a hold has been that the game literally couldn't be played solo. My guess is that the devs design it so that guilds are a must since guilds exert a lot of peer pressure on players to do better and indirectly create pressure to spend real money on consumables and gear.

The cons were the drama and the somewhat subservient role a newbie plays when interacting with more experienced players who were often not exactly the nicest people around.

So I would be really interested in hearing from other players about their experiences with guilds. Right now I am having fun but I am beginning to sense that a hold might become a necessity pretty soon. Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts.

Farminer's
12-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Hi guys.

Been playing for a couple of weeks as a mage. Currently level 28.

Now and then I receive an invitation from a guild. My past experiences with guilds in other games has been mixed. The biggest pro for joining a hold has been that the game literally couldn't be played solo. My guess is that the devs design it so that guilds are a must since guilds exert a lot of peer pressure on players to do better and indirectly create pressure to spend real money on consumables and gear.

The cons were the drama and the somewhat subservient role a newbie plays when interacting with more experienced players who were often not exactly the nicest people around.

So I would be really interested in hearing from other players about their experiences with guilds. Right now I am having fun but I am beginning to sense that a hold might become a necessity pretty soon. Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts.
I am currently or well was for a while guild master of faults main I am officer of fault led by restrains rogue in pvp. Guilds are good I like them. Until you find the wrong guild if I was you look around for a good fun cooperative guild that gives great advice and more. I personally don't like people that are unhelpful and have never got along with people that are rich stuck ups that think they are better then everyone. ( dealt with some other day at school some girls saying excuse you while shoving us out of way I said some mean stuff to them for that [emoji41] ). I would help you if I had money but I'm sort of broke from buying new gears lol all well. And I hope this was a little helpful and add me in game if you want to talk at Uiflaotara my 41or Farminer my 10 twink.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

cheoekar
12-07-2014, 09:19 PM
I suggest lving to lv 40-41 in watcher tohmb 4 (wt4) then go look at leader board and join a guild with in the top 50, thier most likly a freindly guild......or go to guild forums.......lots if nice people in this game just got go look:-)

epicrrr
12-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Guild scene at low lvls just pvp, you need to join a 40-41 guild to really experience "help" in-game.

Iahwahska
12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
There are guilds for every type of player and personality in this game. I suggest figuring out what you want your playing experience to be then look through the guild threads on here or even just joining some to see. if they are a good fit for what you're looking for.

Kreasadriii
12-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Guild scene at low lvls just pvp, you need to join a 40-41 guild to really experience "help" in-game.

Not sure jsut pvp.
Found that there is timed runs guild at low lvl ;)

Newcomx
12-07-2014, 10:27 PM
My reason for joining guild mainly for guild chatting and also for farming with guild friends (this we can do it also with friends in the friends list, so it is not my main reason).

whizzyrich
12-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks much guys for the very helpful tips and advice. Appreciate it. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Madnex
12-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Well, the main reason is.. the potions are cheaper! *runs off*

Azemen
12-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Guilds are a family-like hub in many games. The chat is more cordial then the scattered sayings in general world chat.

Peoples' interests are quite varied, and so are guilds.

Take the time to find a guild which caters to your particular interests. Some focus on PvP, either at twink levels or endgame. Others center on running elites, and PvE in general. Then there are plenty of guilds that accept players of all levels and do a bit of everything. Look for people who are compassionate and will help you as others have stated.

ilhanna
12-08-2014, 12:46 AM
I agree with Iahwahska that there are guilds for every type of personality in the game. I had reservations about guild too in the past, since the first one I joined was mostly inactive and unhelpful. The current guild I'm in (of which I'm now the master) is the second one I joined since I started playing AL. In the beginning, one of the reasons I stayed was because the then guild master and officers helped a lot, leading others by example to be equally helpful. This is an atmosphere that I like, because to me, we help ourselves by helping others. For example, you will get loot when you help a guild mate with a boss, you can do your dailies while helping, and well, killing enemies is what makes the game fun for me. So on the one hand the guild encourages helpfulness, and on the other I like to be able to help, so we clicked and I'm very proud to have called Trinity Knights my home for the last year or so. Later I found many more reasons to stay here, good friends and discussions about build/pet/gear on guild chat being some of them, but the helpfulness and how it resonates with my personality, was the first main reason.

IMO you can tell if the guild is for you or not by answering this questions:

1. Are you getting help when you ask for it? This doesn't mean you can have a piggyback ride everywhere. Make sure you ask on guild chat with specific info (name of boss/location where you need help), and don't blind invite. Generally it's ok to ask help for boss so you can open the next map. Try clear mobs on your own, for xp and because it will be easier anyway if you do it with players your own level, and your helpers will appreciate your consideration for their time. Leveling up, on the other hand, is normally considered an individual responsibility. But you can ask where you can gain xp fast for your level, or try ask for party of people near your level. Help extends to help with build/skills. And if you are badly in need of gear, in a good guild there are usually some people who are kind enough to donate an item or two. Just don't beg.

2. Are your questions getting answered? You should be able to get answers for even the very basic questions (for example: What is lepre?) without getting mocked or laughed at;

3. Do you get game updates from your guild mates? If it's double xp week, or free respec weekend, or there's going to be an upcoming event, your guild should let everyone know to make sure that all guild mates can take advantage of it;

4. Do they have rules that they follow? If they don't allow begging, do they take action against beggars? Action may vary from reminder, warning to removal.

5. Are guild chat conversations making you comfortable, welcomed and appreciated? Do they tolerate rudeness or offensive language on gc? Does anyone say hi back to you when you say hello on gc? When you share an achievement on gc does anyone congratulate you?

Having said that though, even the most active, helpful guilds have their own down time. In mine the quietest time is when the North Americans have all gone to bed while the Asians are still busy with work/school and the Europeans just getting up. People also have their own agenda in game, so even the most helpful guild mates may be unavailabe because they are farming, doing dailies or trying to merch in a city. Don't create drama if you feel noone is listening, that will only turn people against you.

IMO the best way to fully take advantage of guild experience is to get involved, not to lurk and be an outsider within. Try get to know other members, join conversations on guild chat, take part in guild events. In my experience, the more people know you and your qualities, the more likely they will help you when you are in need. Don't forget to return the favor by helping when you can. Observe basic courtesies like saying thanks after an assist, don't pm people while they run elite or do pvp, and I'm sure you'll get along fine with others.

tl;dr lol but I hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Serancha
12-08-2014, 05:41 AM
I don't think guilds pressure to buy plat or anything like that. They can provide valuable information on how to become a better player and get the most out of your character.

I generally don't advise guilds that spam recruit, since if they invite everyone they see, the experience is likely to involve just what you see in towns - spamming, begging, etc. There's no rush to join a guild, but when you get to elite levels, it is beneficial since the maps can become difficult or impossible to solo. It makes it easier to find others to run with.

Best thing to do is as was mentioned before. Spend some time on the guild section of the forum and see what various guilds have to offer. There are many options, so likely will be some that look appealing. Hunt up a recruiter or officer of those potentials, and find out more before making a decision.

There's always a leave button if you find it doesn't work, but a bit of research can take a lot of guesswork out and find you a good home a lot more easily.

Wutzgood
12-08-2014, 05:54 AM
I agree with Iahwahska that there are guilds for every type of personality in the game. I had reservations about guild too in the past, since the first one I joined was mostly inactive and unhelpful. The current guild I'm in (of which I'm now the master) is the second one I joined since I started playing AL. In the beginning, one of the reasons I stayed was because the then guild master and officers helped a lot, leading others by example to be equally helpful. This is an atmosphere that I like, because to me, we help ourselves by helping others. For example, you will get loot when you help a guild mate with a boss, you can do your dailies while helping, and well, killing enemies is what makes the game fun for me. So on the one hand the guild encourages helpfulness, and on the other I like to be able to help, so we clicked and I'm very proud to have called Trinity Knights my home for the last year or so. Later I found many more reasons to stay here, good friends and discussions about build/pet/gear on guild chat being some of them, but the helpfulness and how it resonates with my personality, was the first main reason.

IMO you can tell if the guild is for you or not by answering this questions:

1. Are you getting help when you ask for it? This doesn't mean you can have a piggyback ride everywhere. Make sure you ask on guild chat with specific info (name of boss/location where you need help), and don't blind invite. Generally it's ok to ask help for boss so you can open the next map. Try clear mobs on your own, for xp and because it will be easier anyway if you do it with players your own level, and your helpers will appreciate your consideration for their time. Leveling up, on the other hand, is normally considered an individual responsibility. But you can ask where you can gain xp fast for your level, or try ask for party of people near your level. Help extends to help with build/skills. And if you are badly in need of gear, in a good guild there are usually some people who are kind enough to donate an item or two. Just don't beg.

2. Are your questions getting answered? You should be able to get answers for even the very basic questions (for example: What is lepre?) without getting mocked or laughed at;

3. Do you get game updates from your guild mates? If it's double xp week, or free respec weekend, or there's going to be an upcoming event, your guild should let everyone know to make sure that all guild mates can take advantage of it;

4. Do they have rules that they follow? If they don't allow begging, do they take action against beggars? Action may vary from reminder, warning to removal.

5. Are guild chat conversations making you comfortable, welcomed and appreciated? Do they tolerate rudeness or offensive language on gc? Does anyone say hi back to you when you say hello on gc? When you share an achievement on gc does anyone congratulate you?

Having said that though, even the most active, helpful guilds have their own down time. In mine the quietest time is when the North Americans have all gone to bed while the Asians are still busy with work/school and the Europeans just getting up. People also have their own agenda in game, so even the most helpful guild mates may be unavailabe because they are farming, doing dailies or trying to merch in a city. Don't create drama if you feel noone is listening, that will only turn people against you.

IMO the best way to fully take advantage of guild experience is to get involved, not to lurk and be an outsider within. Try get to know other members, join conversations on guild chat, take part in guild events. In my experience, the more people know you and your qualities, the more likely they will help you when you are in need. Don't forget to return the favor by helping when you can. Observe basic courtesies like saying thanks after an assist, don't pm people while they run elite or do pvp, and I'm sure you'll get along fine with others.

tl;dr lol but I hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Well said Hanna. Once you've been in a good guild for a while it's like being a part of a family.

Arachnophobik
12-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Here in al, sometimes it gets too boring to do anything that only the chatbox will keep you logged in

whizzyrich
12-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply with some really terrific comments and insights. Really appreciate it!

obee
12-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Being in a guild is extremely important for me. It improves the social factor of the game. There are always people you can talk to, and many good memories of the game are based on guilds. Also they make leveling and completing stuff much easier, since you don't have to pug. Join a guild with active players that are willing to help any member.

xutreuqux
12-08-2014, 09:18 PM
For me it makes the game less boring, to have someone congratulate u when u reach a goal, helps findin pt for event or farm runs, and guild events make money ;)

whizzyrich
12-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the additional comments guys. Really helps.

CheifR
12-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Discarded...

Aprove
12-10-2014, 08:05 AM
I joined a guild to Make friends, Share Information, and learn eglish (If the guild's main language is english).

whizzyrich
12-10-2014, 10:51 AM
I joined a guild to Make friends, Share Information, and learn eglish (If the guild's main language is english).

Great reasons to join a guild!