PDA

View Full Version : Bear combo: please consider reversing it...

darcsdude
02-13-2011, 07:25 AM
I think it would just be better for game play for the combo to be reversed for beckon/stomp to stomp/beckon.

As it stands beckon at 6 throws the enemies around everywhere. If you stomp first, it will push the enemies away a certain distance, then you can beckon them back to you thusly just making things neater for the parties.

This is my main gripe. I also don't see the previous combo active anymore I assume it has been removed?

Or possibly change beckon that it draws the enemies to you as opposed to flinging them every which way.

Zux
02-13-2011, 07:40 AM
What old combo??? And yah I agree with u, they should switch them around, we r a close combat race, we should be keeping our enemies near us, not further away

KingFu
02-13-2011, 07:43 AM
There is a way out of trowing all the enemies, just beckon then quickly stomp so that the enemies don't fly across you. If you nail it right, the enemies should be stunned in a circle around you, although it would be easier to have it be stomp then beckon (which makes more sense for the added damage) this tactic still seems to work for me.

darcsdude
02-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Old combo was crushing blow and stomp.

I agree mystical, you can make beckon work like that. The issue is if you have two enemies where the timing won't work that easily without causing one to be extremely far away because if you mistime it, you will beck and stomp them a screen and a half away.

icantgetkills
02-13-2011, 08:40 AM
What old combo??? And yah I agree with u, they should switch them around, we r a close combat race, we should be keeping our enemies near us, not further away

Told u they had a combo before beckon stomp

Kujen
02-13-2011, 08:58 AM
I like it how it is. Bears need to learn to control beckon and stomp so they don't fly everywhere. I think if you are running while you beckon, that enemies are more likely to be flung. Use beckon when you are standing still. I've got 5 beckon and only 1 stomp, so I don't have to worry about enemies being pushed too far. It works great, especilly when I'm solo..I can't imagine using stomp before beckon because it would hit less enemies.

darcsdude
02-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Beckon should technically bring the monsters to you as opposed to across you onto the other side of the room. Personally, the name implies you are bringing them to you. I feel that beckon is somewhat bugged in it's current rendition, personally.

Stomp has a shorter cooldown, you could stomp, beckon, restomp.

Again, it's a matter of reversing the combo, not a matter of it's use. You can use it however you like, but I think the combo should be in reverse than how it is now.

Not to mention none of the other classes have a combo that causes so much movement/disruption of the battle. Makes bears a bit more nerfed when it comes to party play.

Kujen
02-13-2011, 09:21 AM
My beckon does bring them toward me. I very rarely have them flung across the room. Works best in corners and I always stand still when I use it, but maybe at lvl 6 that's what happens. I'm reluctant to make it any higher than 5 because mine works fine at that lvl.

TheLaw
02-13-2011, 09:31 AM
This new combo works fine, just time your beckon right.

darcsdude
02-13-2011, 09:36 AM
This is more than a timing thing. This is a party dynamic that people really frown upon. Beckon would allow for the enemies to be clustered for continued AOE for parties as opposed to separation of enemies and loss of that.

It's not nice to have a bad ping spike during a busy battle (which happens regularly for me), then find yourself booted for the combo.

If I can't use the combo in a good sized party without messing up the dynamic, why use it at all? As it stands in a party, stomp has relatively few good uses outside of breaking a large aggro group up. To have a combo you can't use on a regular basis sucks compared to the other classes.

Beckon AFTER stomp would resolve these issues.

Arterra
02-13-2011, 09:47 AM
beckon, move to the side, THEN stomp, moving them all in one direction, preferably a wall.

Cabero
02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
To control it just beckoned to a corner step out of the corner a little bit and stomp them into the corner same can be done in halls just do it against the wall. That's how I always did it.

Moogerfooger
02-13-2011, 10:20 AM
beckon, move to the side, THEN stomp, moving them all in one direction, preferably a wall.

We have a winner. Tell her what she's won, Bob.

Royce
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Not to mention none of the other classes have a combo that causes so much movement/disruption of the battle. Makes bears a bit more nerfed when it comes to party play.

Umm heard of Hot Flash? Anyway it makes much more sense as is to me. You have to learn to control the skills. Time your beckon right, then side step and throw the whole group into a wall or corner with stomp. That's how good tanks have always used these skills, so the combo just follows naturally from that.

darcsdude
02-13-2011, 11:33 AM
I understand that ask of you who have been playing this game for a long time have developed work Around s and figured out to stomp a certain way but that doesn't make it better.

I still hold to the fact that the use of these skills are in fact more complicated than they need to be with little significant advantage in light of thes shortcomings.

Why play a bear if the skills require manueveri ng to get enemies against a corner or get then lined up for a coordinated stomp.

Clearly all the responses show that the skills are much more complicated then they have to be on a mobil e gaming platform

Arterra
02-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I understand that ask of you who have been playing this game for a long time have developed work Around s and figured out to stomp a certain way but that doesn't make it better.

I still hold to the fact that the use of these skills are in fact more complicated than they need to be with little significant advantage in light of thes shortcomings.

Why play a bear if the skills require manueveri ng to get enemies against a corner or get then lined up for a coordinated stomp.

Clearly all the responses show that the skills are much more complicated then they have to be on a mobil e gaming platform

oh come on, while we are at it lets just have auto attack switch to the next victim and just go to sleep while our toons just decimate mob-respawn dungeons for easy items to sell in the morning for insta-cash...

we need SOME sort of interesting gameplay. this makes sure the team has all the mobs in one spot to just DESTROY them with aoe attacks (terror / shatter / burning flash / nature strike / cruel blast and they are DEAD)
best to just learn how to be a good bear and make the instance that much easier for the team than to pointlessly change the tactic for noob bears.

darcsdude
02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah well I don't agree with that view point.

theres better ways to implement interesting game play than promoting intra class snobbery.

The very fact that there is a "noob bear" term kinda illustrates my point about the issues with game play on a party level for bears.

Arterra
02-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah well I don't agree with that view point.

theres better ways to implement interesting game play than promoting intra class snobbery.

The very fact that there is a "noob bear" term kinda illustrates my point about the issues with game play on a party level for bears.

1) noob bear is not a term. it is when a player that is using a bear is just not very good. he CAN learn. there are also noob mages (dont heal) and noob birds (dont do cruel blast combos).
2) the entire game tries to stress inter-class gameplay. you are now arguing with STS

FluffNStuff
02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
1) noob bear is not a term. it is when a player that is using a bear is just not very good. he CAN learn. there are also noob mages (dont heal) and noob birds (dont do cruel blast combos).

This is true, but I think BS is really highlighting the noob bears. I know a lot of good mages and birds having trouble with pick up games, and I want to attribute this to poor tank play. A party needs a good leader, and BS does require that the bear lead. This makes it more important for the bears to learn proper use of skills and attacks, and be able to 'guide' a team through.
As to the beckon, that does require control. And having it fling past you can be very beneficial if you know how to use it. An example would be if a boss gets 'past' you and away from the wall, you can beckon the boss back and stomp him into the wall without moving.

*note on original post, beckon only has a little damage, so the combo would be quite lowered if it was reversed. This is because the way combos work in PL is adding extra rolls for the damage (though they seem to have lower hit percentage as they go along).

Royce
02-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Because that's what bears do best. If you just want to stand there and mash skills and autoattack, play a bird. Bears have to move around and maneuver mobs, that's their biggest contribution to the group. I absolutely hate playing with bears who just beckon randomly and stomp mobs in all directions. Group them together so Mage AOE can cut them down, and stand in between the group and mobs, keep them stunned and tuanted. That's what bears do.

darcsdude
02-13-2011, 01:02 PM
2) the entire game tries to stress inter-class gameplay. you are now arguing with STS

1) yes, he/she can but is it really something that he/she needs to do and is it making the class less favorable?
2) I don't mind inter class play and definitely want to encourage that but intra-class issues is different situation.
3) This is a suggestion sub forum and I appreciate you input but I'm not arguing with anyone. I am definitely not arguing with STS.

KingFu
02-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Although one fantastic thing about this combo is, if the Mage knows what he's doing, you beckon, he freezes, you stomp, which if you set it up quickly enough it should give the ice shatter combo and the smash combination.

Ellyidol
02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
I like the combo. Beckon + Stomp is already what I did before the update, this just made it better.

And like Arterra said, the best way to do it is get them to a wall, step back, stomp. Its amazing how fast you can clear when you have 2 bears synchronized on this. :)

Fyrce
02-13-2011, 06:11 PM
I think everyone should push for the GOD ELIXIR. Drink it and you're instantly max level w/ the best gear. All done, good luck, and all that. See how easy that was?

darcsdude
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Again since we have gotten so off topic. the whole point of this thread was a suggestion to change the order of the combo and that's it.

i really don't have that big of an issue with the skills themselves.

The purpose again is to reduce there amount of flinging that occurs otherwise.

It would make it easier to use the combo more often instead of having to look for walls, corners, move around (hoping you aren't frozen or rooted) etc.

Cabero
02-13-2011, 07:35 PM
I do have to say one thing. It is also the fault of the dpsers to give the bear time to position the mobs. When I play my bear I try run into the mobs and try to position myself where my beckon can pull all the mobs at once. But everytime I try this before I can even get to the first mob the dspers are already slamming the mobs so they just run past me straight to the dpsers. This is why I don't enjoy playing my bear.

Goodest
02-13-2011, 11:55 PM
I like the current combo due to the inability of other races unable to tank a beacon then stomp you have the six closest enemies mostly on you the pull/push combo agro is nice keeps those birdies and casters alive.

xuz
02-14-2011, 12:01 AM
i agree you guys have a combo now but not as usful as others could be made smarter and better

Fyrce
02-14-2011, 01:09 AM
We're talking about a self-combo. I'm almost always playing in groups. I really hope when I do shattering scream, it's not to followed w/ blast shot but rather hell scream. I hope when I ice storm, it's not for fire storm, but rather for stomp. I hope when I thorn wall, it's followed by lightning. And I hope when I beckon, someone drops lightning and icestorm and thorn wall on the npc mob. If at some point, I get a chance to stomp, fine, but that's not why I'm beckoning in a group.

mycroftxxx
02-14-2011, 01:18 AM
I like the current combo due to the inability of other races unable to tank a beacon then stomp you have the six closest enemies mostly on you the pull/push combo agro is nice keeps those birdies and casters alive.

Um, no, when used badly it actually kills the birds. Why? Birds almost always end up with aggro. If you throw the enemies around, they usually end up missing on the combos, and it takes longer to kill them. Thus the birds take considerably more damage.

Frankly, the beckon-stomp combo was a terrible addition to the game. I said that before it was added, and I've seen nothing since to change my opinion.

darcsdude
02-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Um, no, when used badly it actually kills the birds. Why? Birds almost always end up with aggro. If you throw the enemies around, they usually end up missing on the combos, and it takes longer to kill them. Thus the birds take considerably more damage.

Frankly, the beckon-stomp combo was a terrible addition to the game. I said that before it was added, and I've seen nothing since to change my opinion.

well, this is why I was trying to get it changed in regards to order, if beckon is after, it will pull the mobs at least back to the warrior. If done correctly, it would be stomp - beckon - taunt, hopefully restabilishing aggro to the warrior by the end.

Like most people here I have each of the 3 classes and find warrior in need of some subtle tweaks.

Zux
02-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Old combo was crushing blow and stomp.

I agree mystical, you can make beckon work like that. The issue is if you have two enemies where the timing won't work that easily without causing one to be extremely far away because if you mistime it, you will beck and stomp them a screen and a half away.

Ah I see Ty for the info, and they have taken this old combo out of the game? And one more thing, what was the name of this combo

Furyteddy
03-07-2011, 10:53 PM
to do a combo... do you press Crushing Blow + Stomp together?? or one by one in quick succession??

TANKKAAR
04-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Ok I know this is an old thread but I just ran acrossed it and decided to add my two cent :-)

Honestly I feel the current combo is great if you know how to control it! One of the best ways for any bear to control where and how far a mob is thrown is by doing wall pulls.....now, if you do a wall pull and stomp the mob just flies away again the trick is to do a wall pull and runn slightly away from wall while stomping! Not only does this pull all in on spot for other races to do combos on.....it also keeps them from flying everywhere when you stomp and deliver your combo and still slash without having to chase everyone down.... Even when I solo I have found this to the best and most controlled method for max damage weather I play dex or str bear!
Anyways if you haven't tried it before do so..... I have played with to many bears who just run around throwing people everywhere and it gets old quick ....lol

Yoshura
04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Very bad idea.. a good bear pulls to wall then walks out a bit and stomps them back to wall. There is plenty of time in between the 2 moves to combo. If you have to stomp first, you could knock them out of range of beckon. Also, stomp combo helps you keep aggro when you pull the group. Maybe its just me who believes this..Thinking twice, some situations this idea would work well for but for 99% of situations the combo the way it is right now is flawless.

mejslll
04-25-2011, 06:52 PM
i did a respec on the beckon... because of that reason, i was piiisssing ppl off buy blasting every one away, then pulling them back in ever direction or the oppisite...

so, what do you do ? leasson the beckon was my logical choice... adn control the stomp.

F1zzzzp0p
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
A disadvantage cN be maybe u have low hp and u need regen time so push them away....

StompArtist
04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Beckon and Stomp are fine as they are. It's all about positioning.