View Full Version : Should a noob get involved with the Winter event?

whizzyrich
12-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Hi everyone,

Everyone on the forum has been so helpful so far, I thought I'd ask if the Winter event is at all of interest to a noob such as myself.

I'm a lvl 30 mage who is still learning the ropes and for the most part running solo. I tried joining a guild but got lost in all of the verbiage and advanced discussions so I left.

I took a quick look at the winter event and noticed that there is an energy toll which my guess means spending gold or real money to participate, but I am not sure.

So my question is: should I bother?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Alhuntrazeck
12-09-2014, 09:50 PM
You get 3 free energy balls to use; each one gets used up as u run the map once. Every 8 hours you'll get a new one; so it is a good idea to use your energy when you get them! Don't worry about leaderboards, tiers etc., if you're a new player you should focus on learning how to play events and having a good time in general.

whizzyrich
12-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Thx guys!

Wutzgood
12-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Yeah like others hav said use your energy. This is the best time to make gold. When you don't have energy farm essences and sell gems.

Also if you have a leprechaun amulet farm Locked and sell them.

whizzyrich
12-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Thx Wutzgood!

kickazzrogue
12-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Event runs for a month so youll have plenty of time to hit plat teir and cash in

obee
12-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Also, you can farm energy essences. Once you get 3 of these, you craft an energy kit. Just run some maps and find some. Participate with some guildies, it'll be fun

whizzyrich
12-09-2014, 11:44 PM
I tried it out. Much to difficult for my lvl 30 mage. I'll just go back to the regular maps. It's pretty much the same only the regular maps allow me to progress. Thx for the help guys and good luck to all with the event!

Xeusx
12-09-2014, 11:57 PM
You should focus on Gold tier, every reward on gold tier are worth it to sell, so don't forget to farm energy essences and gold.

SacredKnight
12-10-2014, 12:01 AM
In two words?

I guess.

justhell
12-10-2014, 12:31 AM
Definition noob for me is ppl who's too worry about kdr during the run (too affraid to die) and ppl didn't do anything in run. So u are not noob just newbie[emoji1]

CheifR
12-10-2014, 12:36 AM
Hi everyone,

Everyone on the forum has been so helpful so far, I thought I'd ask if the Winter event is at all of interest to a noob such as myself.

I'm a lvl 30 mage who is still learning the ropes and for the most part running solo. I tried joining a guild but got lost in all of the verbiage and advanced discussions so I left.

I took a quick look at the winter event and noticed that there is an energy toll which my guess means spending gold or real money to participate, but I am not sure.

So my question is: should I bother?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Just farm the chests. You'll profit more from it. And if you can then shoot for gold tier

Ticklish
12-10-2014, 01:02 AM
This is a really good time to farm and level as well. I would suggest doing wt3 or kt3 (if you find the 4th level overwhelming) so u can level and farm essences at the same time. Craft your energy essences and use them to progress in event maps. Once you have acquired enough event tokens to buy the recipe for tarlok gems, you can farm for ingredients in the tombs and sell these for profit. In the course of a month-long event of using your free energy and crafting some, I'm sure you'll at least reach gold tier and earn yourself a new pet egg which you can use or sell :)

whizzyrich
12-10-2014, 01:18 AM
Hi again guys,

Just to paint a picture of what it was like running the Winter event - does anyone recall the Foreman vs. Frazier fight? ☺

Truthfully, I would rather do something else than watch my toon flat on its back for 4 minutes out of a 8 minute fight. The other 4 minutes I'm running back to the fight. ☺

Otahaanak
12-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Your level is one that is very difficult from a mob scaling perspective - hard to find a happy medium for scaling difficulty between easy runs for top geared twinks and impossible ones for the average geared players. Good luck.

whizzyrich
12-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Your level is one that is very difficult from a mob scaling perspective - hard to find a happy medium for scaling difficulty between easy runs for top geared twinks and impossible ones for the average geared players. Good luck.

Yes, this is pretty much the situation. Right now I am just gathering gold to purchase pets. Have wrath, colton, and ethyl. Figure I might add Orion to the mix. Leveling up is not that important to me right now unless I am missing something.

Thx for the help!

ClumsyCactus
12-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Im gonna take a BRIEF moment to advertise my guild, we never talk about serious and complicated stuff XD
And, we usually run with everyone Who asks ^^

Puppys
12-10-2014, 02:46 PM
I got platinum tier last event without spending a penny. I farmed energy as others told. This event I'm not so enthusiasmated since it's just recicled. Nothing new.. But that gold tier pet is AWESOME so go for it. If you want an op pet, that's ur pet, if ur new and you want some gold, sell that pet. I don't know which is his arcane ability but it's happiness looks great. Go for it

whizzyrich
12-10-2014, 02:54 PM
I got platinum tier last event without spending a penny. I farmed energy as others told. This event I'm not so enthusiasmated since it's just recicled. Nothing new.. But that gold tier pet is AWESOME so go for it. If you want an op pet, that's ur pet, if ur new and you want some gold, sell that pet. I don't know which is his arcane ability but it's happiness looks great. Go for it

Thanks for the helpful reply.

I tried again a couple of times this morning to clear a single map. Everyone in my party just gave up both times leaving me facing certain doom. Made me think that the devs have another market segment in mind for their own brand of gold farming. ☺ The not welcome mat is definitely out there and I would have to be blind to not see it. ☺

Anyway it just send pretty pointless for someone as squishy as myself. At least I can farm some reasonable stuff on regular maps.

whizzyrich
12-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Im gonna take a BRIEF moment to advertise my guild, we never talk about serious and complicated stuff XD
And, we usually run with everyone Who asks ^^

Thanks for letting me know about your guild!

Puppys
12-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the helpful reply.

I tried again a couple of times this morning to clear a single map. Everyone in my party just gave up both times leaving me facing certain doom. Made me think that the devs have another market segment in mind for their own brand of gold farming. ☺ The not welcome mat is definitely out there and I would have to be blind to not see it. ☺

Anyway it just send pretty pointless for someone as squishy as myself. At least I can farm some reasonable stuff on regular maps.

Don't get dissilusionated. Just find a strong party and rock that. Maybe joining a guild helps breh

Ticklish
12-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Hi again guys,

Just to paint a picture of what it was like running the Winter event - does anyone recall the Foreman vs. Frazier fight? ☺

Truthfully, I would rather do something else than watch my toon flat on its back for 4 minutes out of a 8 minute fight. The other 4 minutes I'm running back to the fight. ☺

Like I said, the event would last a month. If you run watcher's tombs in the meantime you would soon level up to a point where the event boss is scaled better. In the meantime, don't quit running the event. You are still able to get the tokens as long as you're in the map. Use lightning, fire, clock and shield. Make sure you shield first before you drop clock :) It's only 3 runs a day, anyway. Levelling may not be important to you, but things will get easier once you reach a higher level. Furthermore, a lot of people are running tombs now so you can get a party quicker. Like I said, just try to keep it up till you get the recipe for tarlok gems (wisdom, preferably so you can keep some for yourself). And then you can just craft gems for selling.

What's your ign btw? Let me see if I can find something in my sorc that I can pass on to you. It might help a bit.

whizzyrich
12-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I already thought of that, but when I joined a guild I was just totally lost. I think guilds are probably more appropriate for those who have been playing this kind of app for a while. I've only been at it for three weeks. Maybe the next event?

Thanks again for the suggestion!

whizzyrich
12-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Hi Ticklish,

Thanks for the offer to help me out!

Ign: WizzyRich

Stats:

CheifR
12-11-2014, 12:09 PM
End game farming makes life much easier. You're missing out

ilhanna
12-11-2014, 12:38 PM
My suggestion? Take the first week of event speed leveling to 40 in tombs, crafting energy from essences you collect. Mages level fastest of all classes. Event bosses are easy and PUG more reliable at 40+ level. Or join a guild and party up. Many will accept level 40 with no fuss now and every level 40+ is always calling for party. Use up all the energies you have crafted and get the tokens and buy recipes so you can craft the gems and event lockeds and Frist the frozen reindeer.

I'm not sure of next event. Seems to me next year we will be looking at expansion and new level cap before there's another event. Event is where many make the money and investment that can support them outside of event. And this one is a month long. Plenty of time for you take advantage of it.

And I don't know which guild you joined, but if the words/phrases used in the convos confuse you, you can always ask, if not on gc, then by pm to officers. Or...well you can join mine. We will try help you as much as we can. Whatever you decide, don't give the event a miss. As flawed as it is in many respect, it's still a good money-making time.

whizzyrich
12-11-2014, 12:49 PM
I Ilhanna,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It was very informative.

Being new to this app and genre, I am pretty lost in guilds and everyone seems to be pretty busy. As for the Winter event, I enter it once a day to see how things are going. The parties I run with all give up pretty quickly. I'm usually the last one to say goodbye.

From what I can tell, Spacetime devs know who spends real money and what gets them to spend. Clearly the event is not targeted to me or others like me who quickly quit. There is another segment of the player population that is enjoying it and spending money. If I recall, 1% of all app players account for almost all app revenue. I think the Winter event is targeting these players. For me it is pretty much a non-event since I'm not going anywhere beyond the initial levels - if even that.

xutreuqux
12-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Even if u dont farm energy u can get plenty of tokens. Best advice buy a locked recipe and sell it. Gud money

whizzyrich
12-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the advice!

CheifR
12-11-2014, 10:55 PM
I Ilhanna,

Being new to this app and genre, I am pretty lost in guilds and everyone seems to be pretty busy. As for the Winter event, I enter it once a day to see how things are going. The parties I run with all give up pretty quickly. I'm usually the last one to say goodbye.

From what I can tell, Spacetime devs know who spends real money and what gets them to spend. Clearly the event is not targeted to me or others like me who quickly quit. There is another segment of the player population that is enjoying it and spending money. If I recall, 1% of all app players account for almost all app revenue. I think the Winter event is targeting these players. For me it is pretty much a non-event since I'm not going anywhere beyond the initial levels - if even that.
? I have a,lvl 30toon as well and we always finish the map!!!

whizzyrich
12-11-2014, 11:18 PM
? I have a,lvl 30toon as well and we always finish the map!!!

Today we completed one map. Took two strong warriors. So of course it is possible, but I'm not going anywhere. I would need to consistently be part of a strong group which is not happening. But like I said, I go once a day so things may improve.

CheifR
12-12-2014, 12:17 AM
I Ilhanna,

I haven't spent a dime on this game and still look at it as an opportunity to earn tons!!(I'm for the most part a, legendary geared player as well) It seems everyone is pretty much telling you this is the best time to earn $ WHILE LVLING. This is the most productive possible time to be playing. Take the advice, join a guild and run. There is no complications to being in a guild. They're just friends to talk to and help you when you need it (which you do) so if you REALLY wanna advance in this game- heed the advice of these veteran players that have also extremely helped me grow accustomed to this game aswell

Today we completed one map. Took two strong warriors. So of course it is possible, but I'm not going anywhere. I would need to consistently be part of a strong group which is not happening. But like I said, I go once a day so things may improve.

whizzyrich
12-12-2014, 09:46 AM
I haven't spent a dime on this game and still look at it as an opportunity to earn tons!!(I'm for the most part a, legendary geared player as well) It seems everyone is pretty much telling you this is the best time to earn $ WHILE LVLING. This is the most productive possible time to be playing. Take the advice, join a guild and run. There is no complications to being in a guild. They're just friends to talk to and help you when you need it (which you do) so if you REALLY wanna advance in this game- heed the advice of these veteran players that have also extremely helped me grow accustomed to this game aswell
Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it. But let's face it, the Winter event is designed to make money and we know how it's done as one veteran app player to another.☺

CheifR
12-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it. But let's face it, the Winter event is designed to make money and we know how it's done as one veteran app player to another.☺
If i can run this event on a,lvl 15 and a,lvl 31sorcerer(that is super undergeared) than you can friend Cheifko and let me run with you

Linkincena
12-12-2014, 10:09 AM
You get 3 free energy balls to use
I like the way u mentioned balls there lol

Justg
12-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Hi Wizzy, it seems like you created this thread not to get help, but rather to continue to complain about the monetization model. There are a ton of helpful people here, if you would let them.

whizzyrich
12-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi Wizzy, it seems like you created this thread not to get help, but rather to continue to complain about the monetization model. There are a ton of helpful people here, if you would let them.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I got the info I needed. Tried it out, and my opinion is the Winter event is all about creating peer pressure and I am beginning to feel lots of it. It is the essence of all of all of these kind of apps. For the same reason I avoid guilds. Sooner or later the peer pressure starts seeping in. One thing I did notice was the preponderance of rogues in leader positions. I am not surprised that I spend most of my time flat on my back. ☺ So thank you everyone for the extremely helpful advice but let's consider this thread closed. Thx again!