PDA

View Full Version : warning new scam...

swedishMagic
02-13-2011, 05:21 PM
A char called Abamdhd. Wanted to trade a green iceberg sword for a lvl 55 gemstone warrior recipe.. I check his green sword out and though it was an good deal.. he goes into market to check prices for the crafting recipe.. And wishes to trade with me. I add the recipe and he adds a iceberg sword.. Here is the scam.. it was a normal iceberg sword. Not the green one.. I did not notice this until deal is over.. So I got screwed bigtime :/ This kind of crap makes me think the whole.community aspect of this game is going down.. Arghhhh.. not to happy about this...

- I posted this on my phone last night.. I forgot to tell u that i did check the sword when he came back, i added my stuff he had the green ice sword. Then he left trade and said "whops! pressed back button" and then came in again.. Thats when he switched..
Anyhow, i know its my fault for not tripple checking.. I was a bit tiered...
But still.. You get what im saying.. This kind of scamming ppl just drag the game down..

Got ripped of about 3 weeks ago as well.. An ingame friend i played alot with named Uboz. He wanted to buy my shadow set and pay me back now and then.. And i've been playing alot with this dude, so i though it could trust him.. Now he has not been online for over 3 weeks. So im guessing i got scamed.. And this one is totaly my fault.. i know that.. but i thought if u been playing every day for over 2 weeks, it would be okey to trus ppl.. But guess not..

So I guess.. Trust nobody is the best way...

Ellyidol
02-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Should have checked the level of the sword, the green-ice ones are 32, the rest aren't.

I think the only non-32 I've ever heard of was RedRyder's X-Bow. Not sure if that was 32 or not, but it was from blue guys :D

LIGHTNINGLORD67
02-13-2011, 05:25 PM
OH MY GOD

-stomps out of the door with coat and hat and slams the door shut-

Sanatorium
02-13-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry to tell you, but it's actually your fault dude.
It's not hard to double check the item by pressing view on character or just looking at the level.
Guys take this as a warning, next time you're trading double check everything before clicking accept... this can't be stressed enough.

Royce
02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
In addition to looking at the level (all green ice is 32, and other iceberg, shivering and brain freeze is 30) you can preview item appearance in trade now. This guy obviously ripped you off, but you can prevent this stuff by being careful. This community is great overall, but just like any large collection of people, you can't avoid some losers getting in the mix.

Corpser
02-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Okay someone tried doing this to me here is how chat went.
Scammer:I'll trade green ice bow for sword.
Corpser: okay.
Scammer: quick I gtg to school.
Corpser: Ahh this isn't green ice.
Scammer: yes it is.
Corpser: no it's not.
Scammer: woops sorry got like 8 of them.
Corpser: put down 5 then.
Scammer:no.

I then left trade deleted from friend list and moved towns.

He kept adding me lol.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Okay someone tried doing this to me here is how chat went.
Scammer:I'll trade green ice bow for sword.
Corpser: okay.
Scammer: quick I gtg to school.
Corpser: Ahh this isn't green ice.
Scammer: yes it is.
Corpser: no it's not.
Scammer: woops sorry got like 8 of them.
Corpser: put down 5 then.
Scammer:no.

I then left trade deleted from friend list and moved towns.

He kept adding me lol.

FAIL lolool

KingFu
02-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Sorry to hear it dude, and I'm not gonna say its your fault over and over again, but you should always double check. Count your zeros twice when handling gold. Like Royce said, green ice is level 32 as opposed to level 30 like the regular ones, and previewing on avatar first would prevent this. I always have the other person check first then I check all the items then check the box. All you can do is take it as a lesson next time.

There will always be selfish people put there, but overall this is a great communtiy so don't miss out on it due to a little mishap:)

DanielRH
02-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Happened to me a sec ago, luckily I cought it before trading - his name was fruitofaloom

DJMdivine
02-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Abamdhd, that guy tried to scam me earlier with the same trick he did you to me and my winter pinks. It was too good to be true but I caught him in the act and he ended up logging out. That guy should seriously be banned... absolutely sick of scammers...

Kossi
02-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Happened to me a sec ago, luckily I cought it before trading - his name was fruitofaloom

that lv1 noob? *sigh*

Kossi
02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
if you can get photos like these:
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/Kossii/a1d7c86a.jpg
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/Kossii/7727d0de.jpg
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/Kossii/7b1317c5.jpg

they will get banned for sure

p.s he did get banned

Caire-boo
02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
I think this is dispicable. I also think it's grossly unfair to tell the victim of a scam it is his fault. If a similar thing happened in the real world the scammer would be done for fraud which is a very serious offence. I know cyber theft is a big problem and people often get away with it, but I really feel this issue should be taken very seriously, after all real money can be used to purchase in-game currency so this is nothing short of theft. Unfortunately I do not know how these fraudsters can be punished. Even banning doesn't stop them signing up again with another account/email address. I hope Spacetimestudios check that these guys have not given all their currency & gear to a friend to hold for them in case of a banning.
I guess there isn't much that can be done, it just makes me so angry that people can get away with ripping others off wether in rl or in-game, and if it has happened to you it is NOT your fault but theirs!!!

Pharcyde
02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Abamdhd, that guy tried to scam me earlier with the same trick he did you to me and my winter pinks. It was too good to be true but I caught him in the act and he ended up logging out. That guy should seriously be banned... absolutely sick of scammers...

Its not even that bad now, I've only been attempted scammed four times in all of my PL time. I used to get attempted scammed 4 times every hour on runescape.

But I had to admit, thats pretty crafty.... I certainly don't have the mind of a scammer :P...

Even banning doesn't stop them signing up again with another account/email address. I hope Spacetimestudios check that these guys have not given all their currency & gear to a friend to hold for them in case of a banning.
I guess there isn't much that can be done, it just makes me so angry that people can get away with ripping others off wether in rl or in-game, and if it has happened to you it is NOT your fault but theirs!!!

Once your banned, you may not register another account or make a new character with that device. Bans use your ipod UDID, which is the identification for your ipod. But the scammer can always just use a new device or change their udid....

RedRyder
02-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Nop Elly Mine was 32 as well :p and yes a blue guy dropped it too not fridge ;)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/MADNIGGA2K5/3a509062.jpg

Fyrce
02-14-2011, 01:55 AM
If you are scammed, it is NOT your fault.

However, there are ways to be more careful. That means, as Mystical says, to always count your zeros, count THEIR zeros, check items including preview and check to make sure they haven't changed an item. I don't make sure they tap their confirm first. I just make sure that when I confirm, what's on their side is what I want. Only then do I confirm, because I know that if they change anything, my confirmation will become unchecked.

Before tapping/retapping on confirm, ALWAYS check the items/gold as if you were checking it for the FIRST time, not the 2nd or 3rd time. Always check like this is an all NEW trade. There's a reason there's a confirm box and it's NOT because everyone's nice and honest and lets your reverse trades, get refunds, etc. Remember why you have to tap confirm...

wolfendragon
02-14-2011, 09:15 AM
For those who unfriend and they keep trying to refriend just put them on ignore list works wonders

Had someone try and sell me some cheap pinks he had some void armor he said it was 10k below auction price at the time he gave me price seemed too high didn't trade went into auction house looked it up and he was going full price on biggest price there the least was 50k cheaper. Glad I check auction just about every hour for new pricing and gear keeps me with good idea of current values

Riccits
02-14-2011, 09:47 AM
when i bought the green ice staff i did look 5x if its real one... and i hold open the preview for all the trade to c if its still green...

StompArtist
02-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Wait. I fail to see the scam? What happened?

BeefyMeat
02-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Wait. I fail to see the scam? What happened?

Keeper staff and burning wand for 7K, dude paying about to confirm, seller pulls more expensive item and tries to slip wand only for 7K when you can't even give those away. Typical scam.

StompArtist
02-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Keeper staff and burning wand for 7K, dude paying about to confirm, seller pulls more expensive item and tries to slip wand only for 7K when you can't even give those away. Typical scam.

I need more coffee. lol Tanks for the warning to whoever posted that and for the explanation Beef.