PDA

View Full Version : I confess... I have not being playing PL for a long time.

Splurd
05-17-2010, 02:48 AM
I confess...

I have not being playing PL for a long time.

Basically lost interest after they tweaked the item drop rate and the new swamp map. I no longer enjoyed the sense of power, running through maps killing everything in sight. Being knocked around, spamming pots, and getting cruddy loot just didn’t appeal to me. I know some people talk about how MMO is about grouping and a person solo-ing is wrong blah blah, I strongly refute their idea because they are applying old MMO style gameplay to this game. Aka, unwilling to accept a different style of gameplay. There is no correct or wrong opinion, just different ones. And everytime I post about that I get the stale ole comebacks about how MMO must be about grouping.
Sigh.

So I tried another MMO for the iPhone and I’ve been somewhat addicted to it. I shall not mention its name because I think its bad taste to do so, but in terms of content, it is far ahead of PL. It has a stronger typical mmorpg feel which I am accustomed to and so I enjoy it. The main draw tho, is the fact that I lag a lot less. :cool:

But the thing I do like about PL is that PL devs are active. New content is always being added. The game feels more like a open beta then a finished product, and that is good because all our feedback and suggestions are taken into consideration. Our voices mould the game.
Sadly, my voice of elves getting corset armor or bikini dresses never came to fruition. :cool:

So I'm still sticking around and seeing how the game develops.

Dizko
05-17-2010, 04:24 AM
IMO Sucks!

Stop solo-ing noob!

(etc, etc)

Hi Splurd :)

Splurd
05-17-2010, 05:02 AM
IMO Sucks!

Stop solo-ing noob!

(etc, etc)

Hi Splurd :)

I didnt mention it, you did, lol.

IMO > PL in terms of content. Plus the gameplay is more aligned to how most mmorpgs are. Shared global map, guilds, pvp, rvr, refining, etc.
Only downside is the horrendous grind, and imbalance of levels in PvP.

I’m just waiting for PL to overtake IMO, which I am quite sure it will. Just a matter of time. Till then I’ll be slaying sprite fishes looking for my next spellbook. And pk-ing noobs.

Dizko
05-17-2010, 05:33 AM
And watching people laggy tele from one place to another.

Oh...is that called moving?

Aha, sorry I'm just teasing.

FeralDruid
05-17-2010, 10:57 AM
yeh, the item drop rates slowed down my gaming here also. call me spoiled, but after getting welfare epics in WoW its hard to settle for anything less for the same time invested in the grind.

TheBaconKing
05-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I have to completely agree. If PvP turns out to not be any fun, I don't know if I will play this game much longer.

The glitch to get out of the maps was fun, and allowed easy and fast farming, but it did need to be taken out. Now all I do anymore is sit in the Towne talking. Heck I am on these forums more than I play the game anymore.

Basically to have fun, which involves seeing good gear drop we have to do 2 things.
A. Run a full level.
B. Kill Frogmar over and over.

The problem with running a level is that it could take 20+ minutes, and many times you will never see a purple or pink item drop.. You can't even say you enjoy running the levels for fun, because it is the exact same thing you did from levels 1-34. That is why there just needs to be a map where you MUST have 5 people, and at the very end there needs to be a big boss. A HARD boss, one that requires teamwork and takes a while to kill. THAT would be fun. You would have some sense of accomplishment after you kill it.

If the swamps could be summed up by one word it would be frogmar. That is all anyone does. Kill the witch, leave, kill the witch, and so on. It is boring.

So in general I just hope PvP is fun, and that alien oasis will be a huge step forward.

PS - Not to worry devs I just blew another $10 into this game haha. I am ready for pvp and buying the maps. SO you still get my money!

Obliteration
05-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey finally some people that agree the game isn't quite as fun as it was.
Some new features have helped however.... But I enjoyed being 30 more than 35.

Leach
05-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I couldn't agree with you guys more, here are 2 ideas to improve PL besides PVP, that have the possibility of creating real depth.

First one - Hard content 5 man groups. Giving named mobs a chance at dropping non trading gear with creative effects.

Second one - AA points http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1385-Alternate-Experience-Points-Please-read&p=11696#post11696

nerdherd
05-17-2010, 01:55 PM
I haven't been playing as much either lately, just because it hasn't been as much fun. I'm not trying to slam PL by any means, but I think Ancient Swamps just hasn't kept my interest enough.

I think evidence of the fact that people aren't liking Ancient Swamps overall is that it's nearly impossible to find a game where people are actually playing and not just farming frogmar over and over. On the other hand, I can still easily find a team to play LE with (and I could easily find a team when it was the highest level dungeon too). This is just my observation though, and it could be wrong.

I actually spend more time on the forums than I do in-game, haha. It's easier to check the forums throughout the day than it is to play PL while working :)

Leach
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I think evidence of the fact that people aren't liking Ancient Swamps overall is that it's nearly impossible to find a game where people are actually playing and not just farming frogmar over and over

On the head

SlipperyJim
05-17-2010, 02:46 PM
I think evidence of the fact that people aren't liking Ancient Swamps overall is that it's nearly impossible to find a game where people are actually playing and not just farming frogmar over and over.
I don't think your logic works.

The Frog Farming parties are generally made up of lvl 35 characters. They're at the level cap, so there's nothing for them to gain by continuing to bash Crocs. The farmers are looking for loot, not XP. Well, bosses drop loot, and Frogmar is a boss. More importantly, Frogmar is right near the beginning of the map, so she's easy (and quick) to find. If you're looking for loot, Frog Farming is simply the most-efficient way to get it.

If people weren't enjoying PL, they'd stop playing. (As some people on this very thread have done.) The Frog Farmers must be getting something out of the game, or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Personally, I quite like the Swamps. The challenge is enjoyable. I can't just run through the map pounding on the Attack button. "PEW PEW PEW, you're dead!" does not work in the Swamps. Not for long anyway.....

But to each his own. You don't like the Swamps, that's okay. I won't try to convince you. However, I would encourage you to consider that the Frog Farmers must be getting something out of their farming, or they wouldn't keep doing it. Frog Farming does not prove that people dislike the Swamps. Frog Farming merely proves that killing Frogmar is an efficient way for endgame players to accumulate loot.

nerdherd
05-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I never claimed that my logic was perfect, and I did consider that a possibility actually (which I why I mentioned that even when LE was the highest expansion I could easily find a party to play with). That being said, LE didn't have a boss right at the beginning of any level, so people wouldn't have been able to do the same kind of farming. And I've done my fair share of Frogmar farming, so I don't blame them for doing it. Also, I've seen a lot of people farming Frogmar that aren't level 35. I'd venture to say that around half of them are NOT level 35. Once again, this is all in my personal observation, nothing more.

So don't get me wrong, I don't hate the Swamps by any means. Actually when I can find a good party who are actually playing through the levels it's pretty fun. I could have clarified by saying that my observation was that people aren't liking the Swamps as much as LE.

Justg
05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
We are considering a couple of options here, but the most bandied-about is this: Resetting the swamps to be more like the Lost Expedition as far as difficulty goes, so people can cruise it the way they can earlier levels, AND coming up with Nightmare-mode which amps the difficulty waaaay up for the hardcores.

Diz
05-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Exploiting dungeon bosses for the sole purpose of obtaining loot and circumventing all continuity of challenge, aka taking the time and patience and focus to clear the entire dungeon properly, only places incentive on power-farming for gear. This not only creates a problem for the individual player experiencing less of the game while obtaining the motivator [in this case an item], it also has downstream effects. These effects are notorious game destroyers - watering down the player ran economy with too may end game pinks, and too many empty rooms from people hopping around hyper-farming Frogmar.

Players are discouraged when they see a game that is only viable for players who exploit to gain the upper hand. It not only discourages them because the challenge is diluted and hollow, but it also stratifies the player base between Farmers and regular players. Regular players learn after a few hours of attempting to play a full Ancient Swamps, that the majority of "pro" players are only joining the party for 30 seconds to farm Frogmar in a sloppy focus fire mana dump.

This type of behavior is contagious and highly volatile - it has very negative implications if left untouched. I have nothing but the fullest confidence that the Devs have already seen this on the first day or two of Swamps, and are working diligently to rectify the bad habits that their lapse of good judgment has instilled in the playerbase over the past week or two.

It is really not hard to fix - simply design dungeons that REQUIRE teamwork and patience and focus, and then REWARD the players who are up to the highest challenges [in this case, Swamps]. In all practicality, the easiest solution would just be to move Frog. But obviously, that is not a long term solution, just like Frogmar farming isn't a long term solution for the players.

SlipperyJim
05-17-2010, 03:52 PM
We are considering a couple of options here, but the most bandied-about is this: Resetting the swamps to be more like the Lost Expedition as far as difficulty goes, so people can cruise it the way they can earlier levels, AND coming up with Nightmare-mode which amps the difficulty waaaay up for the hardcores.
Once again, my opinion is pro-Swamp. I enjoy the harder game, I really do. If you add a Nightmare mode, I'll probably play it just for the challenge.

That said, I hope that your theoretical Nightmare mode would include some additional loot and/or higher XP. If the risks are higher, then the rewards should also be higher. :)

PvP
05-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Makes sense. Perhaps have a new set of nightmare only drops?

Ognimoddd
05-17-2010, 04:23 PM
why confess? no one cares

FeralDruid
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Its obviously done some good in light of the recent patch

nerdherd
05-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Your post was #17 (including one post from a member of the dev team)...I think you might be a little wrong :)

Leach
05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
AND coming up with Nightmare-mode which amps the difficulty waaaay up for the hardcores.
I couldn't be more pleased,, you guys looking into this, and you let us know your looking into it. Thanks.

Splurd
05-17-2010, 08:54 PM

You cared enough to post in the thread. Thanks. Now shoo, go away :cool:

Splurd
05-17-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't think your logic works.

The Frog Farming parties are generally made up of lvl 35 characters. They're at the level cap, so there's nothing for them to gain by continuing to bash Crocs. The farmers are looking for loot, not XP. Well, bosses drop loot, and Frogmar is a boss. More importantly, Frogmar is right near the beginning of the map, so she's easy (and quick) to find. If you're looking for loot, Frog Farming is simply the most-efficient way to get it.

If people weren't enjoying PL, they'd stop playing. (As some people on this very thread have done.) The Frog Farmers must be getting something out of the game, or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Personally, I quite like the Swamps. The challenge is enjoyable. I can't just run through the map pounding on the Attack button. "PEW PEW PEW, you're dead!" does not work in the Swamps. Not for long anyway.....

But to each his own. You don't like the Swamps, that's okay. I won't try to convince you. However, I would encourage you to consider that the Frog Farmers must be getting something out of their farming, or they wouldn't keep doing it. Frog Farming does not prove that people dislike the Swamps. Frog Farming merely proves that killing Frogmar is an efficient way for endgame players to accumulate loot.

I honestly think that frogma farming is spoiling the game. I see hordes of maps with 0 people in it. No one PLAYS swamps to enjoy killing, they just play swamps to get items.

See, when I FIRST started playing this game, back in forest haven, I did every single map. I knew where all the mobs where, I knew which room had monsters, and when I reached a T junction I knew where to turn. I played till I hit 13, bought the next map and went on to dark forest and did the same thing. Did this for all the maps. Enjoyed it. I felt that the maps sequence gave a purpose to the campaign and there was a element of fun grinding with a team of the same people for multiple maps. Even after I reached 30 I would sometimes join a newbie game and grind with them for fun.

Now? Swamp is not a fun map. Because no one plays it. They just create a map, kill the bosses, move on.

Creating a game, killing 5 monsters, and quitting, is NOT how the game is designed played. It is a huge design flaw which has resulted in this "create game, kill bosses ignore monsters, move to next map" system that has gone on now.
The people playing frogma farming are getting their enjoyment from greed. The greed of wanting to have the best items. Its not about slaying monsters and clearing maps. Its about items items items.

Oh what joy. These people are the type who would be more excited if SpacetimeStudios released more items instead of more maps or content.

In any case, waiting for trade to come out, the market destabilised, and wait till the farmers have farmed a surplus of all the good loot so I can easily get the best gear. :cool:

Splurd
05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
And watching people laggy tele from one place to another.

Oh...is that called moving?

Aha, sorry I'm just teasing.

Actually thats life is for me when I play PL

>_<

That and how monsters can whack me from 1000 meters away with their epic pink stick of lag.

Waiting for my dad to return my wireless router so I can try playing PL on wifi. 3G just doesn't cut it anymore.

SlipperyJim
05-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Now? Swamp is not a fun map. Because no one plays it. They just create a map, kill the bosses, move on.
Again, I disagree with you. I don't have any trouble finding a few people who actually want to play the Swamps through to the end. Yes, there are loads of Frog Farmers. If you don't like Frog Farming, just ignore them. If you can't find a non-farming group, then make a game yourself and wait for people to join.

Just this morning, I joined a nice PUG for about three Swamps maps. Got Atropos within a hair's breadth of lvl 33. (Thanks, guys!) It was loads of fun. Then again, I actually enjoy the additional challenge in the Swamps. You have made it clear that the Swamps are not fun for you. Fair enough. My only point is that there are some non-farmers in the Swamps. I'm sorry that you don't seem to find them, but they're out there.

In any case, waiting for trade to come out, the market destabilised, and wait till the farmers have farmed a surplus of all the good loot so I can easily get the best gear.
Now this is a cunning strategy. :)

flaimdude
06-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Nightmare mode please? :)

Kirei
06-06-2010, 09:21 PM
nightmare mode please? :)

yes please!!!!!!! :)>

SlipperyJim
06-07-2010, 08:38 AM
I sense a disturbance in Alterra, as if a corrupted corpse was wakened from its unquiet tomb....
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/SlipperyJimDiGriz/Miscellany/threadlich.jpg

Azrael
06-07-2010, 01:26 PM
nightmare mode would have to have an increased drop rate or better items.

flaimdude
06-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I sense a disturbance in Alterra, as if a corrupted corpse was wakened from its unquiet tomb....
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/SlipperyJimDiGriz/Miscellany/threadlich.jpg

Hehehehehe ;)