PDA

View Full Version : Twinking: For who, for what?

DontNerfMeBro
02-14-2011, 03:14 AM
What is so glorious about "twinking"?

As an elite mmorpg nerd I notice how this term is used pretty frivolously in PL. The concept, even more so.

It appears to me that when a player devours every morsel of game content they try their hand at PVP. Understanding that PVP is really the last outlet for gaming satisfaction while comprehending they're not very effective at killing a sentient opponent. In other words, you've PVE'd the game dry and realize defeating RL players isn't so easy.

So you've got all the loot you need, you purchase the best gear you can, have a field day fighting against newbies, and someone find your victories satisfying....

Twinking is like college kid being fulfilled for beating a third grader in a 100 yard dash...repeatedly. This is just one common circumstance that seems to breed twinking and I'm just wondering what some other ones might be.

So please, defend your twinksmanship, discuss your twinkology, and explain the satisfaction it gives.

bladesword
02-14-2011, 04:04 AM
So you've got all the loot you need, you purchase the best gear you can, have a field day fighting against newbies, and someone find your victories satisfying....
And your not a newbie?

DontNerfMeBro
02-14-2011, 04:11 AM
And your not a newbie?

awesome thread contribution.

Cabero
02-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Most people twink to fight other twinks FYI. Only a small amount do it just to pwn noobs. Plus its a way to add variety to the game to keep things interesting.

Physiologic
02-14-2011, 04:16 AM
The term 'twink' is really used wrong in PL, so don't worry. "Twinks" here are just low leveled characters with whatever gear just to have fun in PvP and nothing else. The difference here from other MMOs is that PL twinks don't even need expert equipment or a high-leveled alt; if you make a low leveled character to PvP, you're automatically called a "twink" for some reason.

Cabero
02-14-2011, 04:22 AM
The term 'twink' is really used wrong in PL, so don't worry. "Twinks" here are just low leveled characters with whatever gear just to have fun in PvP and nothing else. The difference here from other MMOs is that PL twinks don't even need expert equipment or a high-leveled alt; if you make a low leveled character to PvP, you're automatically called a "twink" for some reason.

I disagree twinking is all about the gear. When you get the best gear you can get for any lvl and turn off xp and spend lits of time playing at that lvl its considered a twink. Don't get me wrong there is some out there that do it like you said but most don't.

Zerious
02-14-2011, 06:09 AM
I disagree twinking is all about the gear. When you get the best gear you can get for any lvl and turn off xp and spend lits of time playing at that lvl its considered a twink. Don't get me wrong there is some out there that do it like you said but most don't.

Sorry cabero, you're only half right. A twink is a character that disables exp gain at a certain level and is designed for pvp. Gear isn't everything, for example, I have a lvl 25 bear twink that's unfinished from the gear but what I have is doable and I definitely designed it to pvp. But the gear is favored by twinks, yes.

BeardedBear
02-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Plenty of threads out there for people like yourself who don't understand what twinking is. It's nothing new. Don't make a thread bashing it, then asking for people to defend; that's not how things work around here. Use the search feature please.

noss13
02-14-2011, 11:15 AM
What is the best twink level at the moment please ? The best means the more numerous

BeardedBear
02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
What is the best twink level at the moment please ? The best means the more numerous

Right now, lvl 20 has been pretty popular. Be sure to disable your exp once you hit 20, or whichever lvl you plan on twinking at.

StompArtist
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
What is so glorious about "twinking"?

As an elite mmorpg nerd I notice how this term is used pretty frivolously in PL. The concept, even more so.

It appears to me that when a player devours every morsel of game content they try their hand at PVP. Understanding that PVP is really the last outlet for gaming satisfaction while comprehending they're not very effective at killing a sentient opponent. In other words, you've PVE'd the game dry and realize defeating RL players isn't so easy.

Twinking is like college kid being fulfilled for beating a third grader in a 100 yard dash...repeatedly. This is just one common circumstance that seems to breed twinking and I'm just wondering what some other ones might be.

So please, defend your twinksmanship, discuss your twinkology, and explain the satisfaction it gives.

It's using features of the game to increase the fun on has playing the game!
Nothing wrong with that. If you don't want to do it... nothing wrong with that either. No problem either way as I see it.

Tsarra
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
And your not a newbie?

VERY sick of this word. If I pulled you out of your life and plunked you down at my desk at work, you'd be instantly lost. I think we should remember that there are two types of new people...people who are just new and are learning and the others, who will NEVER, EVER learn.

For me? PvP is just fun. I'm awful at it, and I do have some locked level characters with some top level eq on them. It's just fun for me to build them...I seldom battle them. :)

Plenty of threads out there for people like yourself who don't understand what twinking is. It's nothing new. Don't make a thread bashing it, then asking for people to defend; that's not how things work around here. Use the search feature please.

I think he understands twinking just fine...he's just sick of it.

Ladylove
02-14-2011, 01:22 PM
I... love... pvp... :). I just do what I can to breed pvp characters.

Zerious
02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
I think he understands twinking just fine...he's just sick of it.

I can understand stating an opinion, but when you do that and say "defend your 'twinkmanship'", you're just asking for flames. If he understands twinking and doesn't like it, hey, no one's twisting his arm to do it. He doesn't have to, he could easily do something else in PL.

Basically it was when he asked us twinks to "defend" ourselves, kind of implies he's looking for a fight, and defending him is only going to make you look bad...

Tsarra
02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Basically it was when he asked us twinks to "defend" ourselves, kind of implies he's looking for a fight, and defending him is only going to make you look bad...

I'm not defending him; I was making an objective observation about his inquiry. :)

billcausby
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
This is sillybill, the 20 mage referred to as a supertroll in this thread...I just want to say that i dont try to cause trouble or b a jerk to people. And most of the people who have a problem with me dislike my play style. Not my personality. I will say that im an int mage, and against most bears and birds i do kite. But it's a strategy, and i think it's pretty effective. I dont have plans to stop doing it ne time soon.

noobmigo
02-14-2011, 07:50 PM
This is sillybill, the 20 mage referred to as a supertroll in this thread...I just want to say that i dont try to cause trouble or b a jerk to people. And most of the people who have a problem with me dislike my play style. Not my personality. I will say that im an int mage, and against most bears and birds i do kite. But it's a strategy, and i think it's pretty effective. I dont have plans to stop doing it ne time soon.
Supertroll? I didn't see anything about supertroll on this thread

billcausby
02-15-2011, 01:43 AM

billcausby
02-15-2011, 01:45 AM
Ya sorry i accidentally posted to wrong one. Meant for who is best twink thread

Norbert
02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
For some reason this thread reminds me of that new quest the blacksmith in New Haven has. Hmmm, now what was that called again?

Oh yeah, Obvious Troll.

Zerious
02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
For some reason this thread reminds me of that new quest the blacksmith in New Haven has. Hmmm, now what was that called again?

Oh yeah, Obvious Troll.

Unless you've pvped with Bill and have screenies to show it, I don't think you have a position to join the bandwagon and bash on someone... Word to the wise...

noobmigo
02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I thunk he was talking about DontNerfMeBro.

Protank
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Most people twink to fight other twinks FYI. Only a small amount do it just to pwn noobs. Plus its a way to add variety to the game to keep things interesting.

Thanks. Well said.

Protank
02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Just wanted to add,

at low lvls, u are very limited on the points u can spend for skills and attributes.

Thus making u look at ur build alot harder bcuz u are very limited on points u can spend.

Also low lvl battles can take a bit longer then the high lvl battles, making the it a bit more enteristing to me.

like me, most "twinks" try to fight the best out there, not noobs.

There are many reasons alot of people like low lvl pvp. Those are just a few of mine.

Zerious
02-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Just wanted to add,

at low lvls, u are very limited on the points u can spend for skills and attributes.

Thus making u look at ur build alot harder bcuz u are very limited on points u can spend.

Also low lvl battles can take a bit longer then the high lvl battles, making the it a bit more enteristing to me.

There are many reasons alot of people like low lvl pvp. Those are just a few of mine.

I agree 9001%

DontNerfMeBro
02-15-2011, 09:28 PM

I was asking for specifics on WHY a person would want to do it. You've posted on this thread more than once and have yet to respond to the initial post's content. Perhaps you need a lesson on how this works. Lemme paraphrase my initial post:

Why would someone develop a twink, as opposed to developing a toon to its highest potential and competing at that tier?

For the record, a twink is defined as a lower level character who is equipped with high-end equipment (usually unattainable for a character their level) acquired from a higher level character. Psysiologic's explanation of the term's MISUSE is accurate.

Ladylove
02-15-2011, 09:40 PM
I was asking for specifics on WHY a person would want to do it. You've posted on this thread more than once and have yet to respond to the initial post's content. Perhaps you need a lesson on how this works. Lemme paraphrase my initial post:

Why would someone develop a twink, as opposed to developing a toon to its highest potential and competing at that tier?

For the record, a twink is defined as a lower level character who is equipped with high-end equipment (usually unattainable for a character their level) acquired from a higher level character. Psysiologic's explanation of the term's MISUSE is accurate.

I know this post isn't directed at me, but I would say that pvp is different at every level, so why not experience all of it? There is pvp at its highest potential and there is also lower level pvp with its own challenges including fewer attribute and skill points to work with. The build of a twink is much more specialized than that of a pvp character at the cap because one must pick and choose skills very carefully and carefully distribute attribute points. There are different gear options and low level gear isn't the same as high level gear. In PL, twinking is working with what you have to be the best you can be.

Physiologic
02-15-2011, 09:56 PM

Since you and I are familiar with the real definition of the term "twink" outside of PL, I'll try to explain it without using that word.

Basically in a lv 50-56 duel, duels last essentially in one second. Really, they last in a flash of a second. It all depends on first contact and who is able to finish off a combo faster than the other person while having as low of a connection lag as possible. That's no fun to PvPers.

So PvPers choose to create lower-leveled PvP characters. Lower-leveled PvP characters don't have all the skills maxed, and in fact when they're as low as lv 10 dueling, you have almost no skill available to use whatsoever. This requires the player to carefully weigh out which skills are best to use for low-leveled PvP. In addition, best equipment for lower-leveled PvP characters is not as clear-cut as let's say, end-game equipment for lv 50-55 PvP duels. So that also requires more thinking and planning. These low-leveled duels don't last a second at all like the level 50-55 PvP games - in fact, they can drag on for as much as 3-5 minutes (depending on how low the duelers levels are). For PvP fanatics, this is a lot more fun to do than level 50-55 duels that last 1 second. Also, due to the level requirements of the top-tier equipment in PL, these lower-leveled PvP characters cannot use the best equipment in the game.

Now replace "lower-leveled PvP characters" with the term "twink" and that's how you get the word "twink" thrown around in PL.

DontNerfMeBro
02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Just wanted to add,

At long last...a thoughtful response that I can appreciate. Regarding RL specifically, this makes more sense because of the way higher level gear sets seem to force you into a certain play type.

DontNerfMeBro
02-16-2011, 10:19 PM
PvPers choose to create lower-leveled PvP characters. Lower-leveled PvP characters don't have all the skills maxed, and in fact when they're as low as lv 10 dueling, you have almost no skill available to use whatsoever. This requires the player to carefully weigh out which skills are best to use for low-leveled PvP. In addition, best equipment for lower-leveled PvP characters is not as clear-cut as let's say, end-game equipment for lv 50-55 PvP duels. So that also requires more thinking and planning. These low-leveled duels don't last a second at all like the level 50-55 PvP games - in fact, they can drag on for as much as 3-5 minutes (depending on how low the duelers levels are). For PvP fanatics, this is a lot more fun to do than level 50-55 duels that last 1 second. Also, due to the level requirements of the top-tier equipment in PL, these lower-leveled PvP characters cannot use the best equipment in the game.

Now replace "lower-leveled PvP characters" with the term "twink" and that's how you get the word "twink" thrown around in PL.

That explains things with a good amount of clarity as far as this game goes. If players want to have fun, and the game is poorly calibrated throughout the leveling spectrum, players will find there own ways to do so. Like hanging a milk crate from a telephone pole because you need a "net" to play basketball. Do you think that this is a product of poor game engineering?

Physiologic
02-16-2011, 10:38 PM
All I can say is more work can be done to improve max level PvP duels.

Zerious
02-16-2011, 11:09 PM
That explains things with a good amount of clarity as far as this game goes. If players want to have fun, and the game is poorly calibrated throughout the leveling spectrum, players will find there own ways to do so. Like hanging a milk crate from a telephone pole because you need a "net" to play basketball. Do you think that this is a product of poor game engineering?

Yeah, but, this isn't the case... Lower levels means longer, more thought-out builds and fights, whereas higher levels are much faster paced and require a lot less thinking when it comes to builds and fights. So what's wrong with twinking? Some people pvp at higher levels because they enjoy the fast-paced fights, others twink because they prefer more unpredictability in their experience, that's all.

DontNerfMeBro
02-16-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm sure you can say a lot more than that. ;D

Please do if you find the time. I've only pvp'd at higher levels and yeah, it's like an old western shoot out.

Conradin
02-16-2011, 11:16 PM
twinking is fun- longer fights, fun combos, and i like to play against good twinks. nuff said, thread closed. p.s. also anyone can become a twink- without getting to cap thier character.

Zerious
02-16-2011, 11:17 PM
twinking is fun- longer fights, fun combos, and i like to play against good twinks. nuff said, thread closed. p.s. also anyone can become a twink- without getting to cap thier character.

short sweet and to the point. Thanks.

DontNerfMeBro
02-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, but, this isn't the case... Lower levels means longer, more thought-out builds and fights, whereas higher levels are much faster paced and require a lot less thinking when it comes to builds and fights. So what's wrong with twinking? Some people pvp at higher levels because they enjoy the fast-paced fights, others twink because they prefer more unpredictability in their experience, that's all.

This post is extraordinarily presumptuous and narrow sighted. To say that higher level builds "require a lot less thinking" is frankly...absurd. Just because a gun fight is generally shorter than a fist fight it doesn't mean any of the competitors are more or less calculating than the others.

Furthermore, lower level "twinking" doesn't require a deeper thought process as you mention, it's actually the opposite. The decisions you make may carry a greater gravity in performance. But I'm sure you meant to say that.

Zerious
02-16-2011, 11:43 PM
This post is extraordinarily presumptuous and narrow sighted. To say that higher level builds "require a lot less thinking" is frankly...absurd. Just because a gun fight is generally shorter than a fist fight it doesn't mean any of the competitors are more or less calculating than the others.

Furthermore, lower level "twinking" doesn't require a deeper thought process as you mention, it's actually the opposite. The decisions you make may carry a greater gravity in performance. But I'm sure you meant to say that.

Since you made this post already knowing all this, then we'll just go with that...

DontNerfMeBro
02-16-2011, 11:47 PM

This comment is as insubstantial and shallow as saying, "I LIK CHOCOLAT CUZ IT TASTES GOOD!" during an ice cream critique. Hardly thread-closure material. (pet on head)

Phaded
02-17-2011, 07:31 AM
A couple things...

I hate the word twink... Its RL terminology I don't think was known by its creator :p

Secondly, end game builds really don't require much thought. You can max almost everything and most builds are all the same or close enough. With low lvl pvp there is a lot of careful planning that goes into the build. I've spent the majority of my plat on build specs on my low lvls.

And lastly, I don't think anything any of us will say matters since you came into this thread with your condescending attitude and self important arrogance.

StompArtist
02-17-2011, 08:46 AM
I hate the word twink... Its RL terminology I don't think was known by its creator :p

You should have seen my face the first time I saw the word in an MMO... I was asked: "are you a twink?" Highly disturbing. lol

Phaded
02-17-2011, 11:17 AM
LoL should have said no I'm a bear. looool

Zerious
02-17-2011, 04:06 PM
A couple things...

Secondly, end game builds really don't require much thought. You can max almost everything and most builds are all the same or close enough. With low lvl pvp there is a lot of careful planning that goes into the build. I've spent the majority of my plat on build specs on my low lvls.

And lastly, I don't think anything any of us will say matters since you came into this thread with your condescending attitude and self important arrogance.

Thank you very much. I'm not the only one who thinks so then.

Btw gf with Kidcudie vs Zeriously the other day :D