PDA

View Full Version : Why I do not enjoy this event. Why I still play.

Blissfulgod
12-15-2014, 08:00 PM
What makes a great event fun for the players is an exciting bounty of loot and other rewards in exchange for our efforts. For example, the ancient druid armor was attainable for the average player who opened an appreciable amount of chests. The gear was useful, a solid reward for farming the Ursoth’s Assault event. Those who were interested in the elite rewards opened locked crates for new mythic items and some even won Shady and Surge eggs. The dovabear and little-bear eggs were a chance for every average player to have a great pet of his or her own. Another event, the Halloween event also had some heavy-hitters. There were grimm eggs galore, new mythic weapons and the coveted Paracelsus Soul Stones! Personally, I spent hundreds of platinum to boost additional characters to platinum tier. I still think it was worth it, the gems are a real game-changer for me and I can take on the more challenging maps in the game with the use of a Paracelsus soul stone and ancient druid gears. I also sport the wild talismans – another great reward from an event I spent plenty of platinum on.

I am currently a chemical engineering student. I spend almost all of my time studying and I also tutor for the better half of my weekends for spare money. Some of which, I spend on this game. I don’t have a problem with doing that because gaming is my hobby. It keeps me sane when all I have is engineering homework that has more letters and symbols than my ancient philosophy books. I assume many players are like me, students getting by, that occasionally manage to set aside a little money for this game. Others probably have families, some are even children who ask their parents to spend their hard-earned money on this game.

I assume I can speak for most of the AL community when I say that this game and other MMOs act as an outlet. We enjoy it so much that we spend our money in good faith that it will improve our gaming experience and support the company that provides us with this fun escape. I was planning on purchasing more platinum for this winter event, but sadly, the rewards do not seem worth it.

When I first heard the news that this winter event was going to be four weeks long I thought: “Great! That means I can farm the event and get even more out of it than the last event!” What one expects from playing more, farming more and/or paying more is, quite frankly, more! The change to a four-week event for the prospect of more in-game purchases will only come to fruition if the rewards are scaled with the amount of time and money invested. Instead, this event requires is a two-fold increase in time and money spent for little to no rewards. The drop rates of armor, recipes and other items of value in this event are too low. The tiered rewards are nowhere near as good as the ones in previous events.

The argument I hear in favor of the four-week event with slow tier advancement is that STS wishes to prevent players from becoming bored. Preventing boredom is accomplished by providing a steady flow of rewards, not halting it. Increasing the event to four weeks means players are running the same map with the same five bosses for a longer period of time than ever before. In the name of preventing boredom, STS has slowed progression to a painfully slow grind, and the fruits of our labor reduced to a pathetically low chance at mediocre gear or an ingredient to an underwhelming platinum tier item.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to explain what I believe to be disappointing about this winter event while also maintaining the message that I still enjoy this game and I am thankful to that staff of equally hard-working folks at STS. You all have built an outstanding game. I have made friends in game and have forced my friends at school to give it a try. That is why I have written this long post instead of deleting the game in a huff. I will not quit in response to one bad experience with an event. All others I have participated in up to this point have been a blast! I trust that the staff at STS chose to work in the gaming industry to make a living by making others happy.

Thank you for your time,

Nick

Kakashis
12-16-2014, 06:18 AM
yup, gold is hard to earn nowadays. Arena will run you dry!

Sorcerie
12-16-2014, 01:48 PM
I agree with your post overall, but in their defense they had to deal with the most crippling disconnect issues I have ever seen in well over a year of playing this game which required pretty much all hands on deck.

This may have cause the roadmap and their goals for the winter event to derail a bit, which in turn may have effected the overall quality and experience for us as gamers.

You can tell as much by the changes of vanities and oceans of feedback about the event, and how details about the event and rewards were trickling out long after the event had already started.

Bit of a scramble in the end, but I still do think that plat tier reward needs a serious second look, it is terribad in it's current state.

I regret every penny of gold I spent to get to plat tier as fast as I could, I've never had that problem in the past three events.

Thrindal
12-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Good post, don't worry about it being long, it shows you have a passion and desire for the game to be great.

I plan on a similar post from my point of view but I'm still collecting my thoughts.

ueveotadeo
12-17-2014, 10:42 AM
The argument I hear in favor of the four-week event with slow tier advancement is that STS wishes to prevent players from becoming bored. Preventing boredom is accomplished by providing a steady flow of rewards, not halting it. Increasing the event to four weeks means players are running the same map with the same five bosses for a longer period of time than ever before. In the name of preventing boredom, STS has slowed progression to a painfully slow grind, and the fruits of our labor reduced to a pathetically low chance at mediocre gear or an ingredient to an underwhelming platinum tier item.

Great post, couldnt agree more with you!

siddhant
12-17-2014, 10:45 AM
totally agreed with evrything u said

Serancha
12-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Very nice post. Well stated.

Candylicks
12-17-2014, 11:33 AM
I believe they are looking at the gem for this event once again and we will see a change before the event is over.

nevercan
12-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I did this event til i reached gold tier after that went bored n stoped do event :/

Energizeric
12-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Preventing boredom is accomplished by providing a steady flow of rewards

The problem is that most players see "rewards" for their value on the market or what they can be sold for. And if you have lots of rewards being looted by everyone, they will be worthless on the market. In the last event, the Hellish and Necro armors and helms were selling for 300 gold each by the end of the event. Compare that to last year when after the Tarlok event the armors and helms were selling for 10k and up.

If it makes you happy to just have a lot of items in your inventory, then I'm sure you were happy with the Halloween event. But for most players who sell the loot they get, it was a lousy event and one in which there was no money to be made from any of the items, unless you got luck enough to loot a mythic weapon.

What makes looting items exciting is when you loot something rare. If you loot the same crap that everyone else has, I don't see what the attraction is to that. Your character can only wear one armor and helm at a time. How many sets do you need? And if you loot so many sets, so will everyone else, and then nobody is going to want to buy your leftovers as everyone will have plenty already.

Blissfulgod
12-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Although the phrase "steady flow of rewards" isn't specific, it's unfair to conclude that I'm calling for a massive giveaway. I want to be able to invest my gold to buy supplies and work hard to farm items with a fair chance at something better than what I currently have or that has some value to someone else. This has not been the case for the Winter event for the vast majority of players. It is the reason for the many posts being made currently under suggestions.

Also, the necroptic gear isn't worthless because it's common. It's worthless because it is useless. It's just another example to support my main argument. So, thanks for that.

Serancha
12-17-2014, 08:00 PM
I want to be able to invest my gold to buy supplies and work hard to farm items with a fair chance at something better than what I currently have or that has some value to someone else. This has not been the case for the Winter event for the vast majority of players.

Not only has this not been the case for the winter event, it has not been the case for over a year. It was only in the last 12 hours that gear with stats at all better than mythics were put forward, and this is the planar gear. There is nothing in the winter event that even comes close to anything we are currently using.

Never mind the fact that Samael is as old as the 31 mythics and is STILL the best non-limited-release pet in the game.

SacredKnight
12-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Threads like this remind me then the best of the best in AL used to only cost around 200k Max. Back then though if you did elites, dailies and worked hard 200k was feasible thing to earn within months. Now even 200k itself would take at least a month (If you started from nothing and are building your way up) and even more so would only get you a very small fraction of what you need to buy. Fact is you'd probably spend that 200k on things to help you get a more substantial amount e.g. 2mil. To buy a RECIPE to only need more gold go find things IN the recipe.

Sabiee
12-26-2014, 03:46 PM
The problem is that most players see "rewards" for their value on the market or what they can be sold for. And if you have lots of rewards being looted by everyone, they will be worthless on the market. In the last event, the Hellish and Necro armors and helms were selling for 300 gold each by the end of the event. Compare that to last year when after the Tarlok event the armors and helms were selling for 10k and up.

If it makes you happy to just have a lot of items in your inventory, then I'm sure you were happy with the Halloween event. But for most players who sell the loot they get, it was a lousy event and one in which there was no money to be made from any of the items, unless you got luck enough to loot a mythic weapon.

What makes looting items exciting is when you loot something rare. If you loot the same crap that everyone else has, I don't see what the attraction is to that. Your character can only wear one armor and helm at a time. How many sets do you need? And if you loot so many sets, so will everyone else, and then nobody is going to want to buy your leftovers as everyone will have plenty already.

Agree wz u ..
Besides z eye drop is something u can look forwd to ,ursu lockeds r dropping realy often for me ,which can always sell in market without z worry of price drops ..