PDA

View Full Version : In the Balefort Sewers, do your teams die more from sewer fire vents or enemies?

WhoIsThis
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I was yesterday and I had a thought. I would take a tally every time someone on my team (including me) died. What I found interesting was that in a few instances, there were more deaths from mishaps related to fire vents then from enemies killing you. Even if you are very careful, you still die quite a bit from the vents.

What have been your experiences with the fire vents?

Edit: I admit too to dying a more than couple of times from fire vent mishaps. I'm a pure int. Often I find myself in a situation where I'm surrounded. It's get a hot flash and lightning off or die from enemy fire. Plus sometimes the vents are unpredictable and many players want to charge ahead. I try to go slow, blasting each vent before crossing and sometimes using mana shield, but that isn't always practical, especially with eager team maters running across the vent. Of course, if they die, they always assume that you MUST risk your life to res them.

Rebel
02-14-2011, 08:44 PM
They are one of the main reasons I stopped playing BS. Can't stand getting spawn killed by fire. It just... burns ;)

noobmigo
02-14-2011, 08:44 PM
First of all, I'm squishy. I die every. single. time. a vent hits me. mostly my deaths are from a combinations of the enemy debuffs and dmg and then BOOM! fire vent finishes me off.

noobmigo
02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
They are one of the main reasons I stopped playing BS. Can't stand getting spawn killed by fire. It just... burns ;)

that was so PUNNY!!!!!! ;)

Palyna
02-14-2011, 09:06 PM
ohhhh always shield up when I am near the fire trap, two fire traps explode together can kill me instantly. I get killed fast by archer ambush.

Xymorg
02-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Ya, it'd be fun if it the explosions were more rare. A half second of lag at the crucial time (the flicker flame of warning when there's still time to turn back) is instant unblockable death for mages.

Though it is funny that the mobs just stand there, in there dungeon abode, getting full on blasted by a fire trap every few seconds and they haven't figured out they shouldn't smoke near the gas vents.

It would be a cool element if it was used more sparingly and the damage was enough to one hit mobs for some cool tactical play (they just shrug it off now) perhaps .05x current frequency. As is, it just gets annoying, especially the initial Swill Pit hall, where you can't see far enough after the second vent to make sure you're not walking into a death trap until it's too late, so you just take your chances. The first goblin stronghold was a better use of the element, four consecutive traps is definitely not four times more fun.

My solution was to stop caring about dying, cause it's just gonna happen no matter what I do.

Ladylove
02-14-2011, 09:09 PM
All I can say is mana shield and speed pot.

Fyrce
02-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Timing the vents isn't that hard, though sometimes you lag or accidentally back up too close to one. I noticed myself dying to vents that seem to reach across the room (not sure why this happens sometimes; maybe it's lag again), targeting on a vent when I should be blast shotting the mob group, or the perpetually-firing vent that's happened a couple times. It just blasted like 5 times in a row without fizzling out and starting up again. That was lovely... NOT.

Royce
02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I suspect that probably about 90% of the deaths I've seen in BS come from grates, 5% from people pulling to many of those exploding fireball goblins at once, and 5% from archer mobs and bosses.

Junside
02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
There's a lot of factors that could ultimately lead to fire vent death. Sometimes, I get hit by one which pushed right on top of another one (stunned too!) and then the second one finishes me off.

Other times, a bird enemy hits me with Break Armor and I get hit in proximity of the fire vent. I usually survive at least one vent.

Lastly, someone targets the imminent fire vent and it blows up faster.

BS.

Sanatorium
02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I hate those vents, especially when they're right next to each other...
So you think to yourself "Ok go, first is off, NO WAIT GO BACK SECOND IS ON, NO FOWARD FIRST IS NOW ON, NO THIRD IS ON *DEAD*"
/facepalm

Royce
02-15-2011, 02:46 PM
They're really not that bad IMO. I think there are two reasons they have the most kills since pre-nerf Frogmar. First off nobody wants to move at a calculating and strategic pace, most groups want to pot up and run as fast as they can. Second, it's just a new (for the most part) obstacle and people haven't adjusted completely yet. If tanks pull mobs away from grates and everyone is careful about their AOE (including mage staffs), then they aren't as bad, still brutal, but not as bad ;)

icantgetkills
02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
They're really not that bad IMO. I think there are two reasons they have the most kills since pre-nerf Frogmar. First off nobody wants to move at a calculating and strategic pace, most groups want to pot up and run as fast as they can. Second, it's just a new (for the most part) obstacle and people haven't adjusted completely yet. If tanks pull mobs away from grates and everyone is careful about their AOE (including mage staffs), then they aren't as bad, still brutal, but not as bad ;)

Laughed hard at the frogmar bit gosh she was such a *****

CanonicalKoi
02-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Fire vents for my bird. Two words: target lock. Another bird repulses, a bear stomps or a Mage does fire storm, pushes my target back, pulling me into the vent. :( Not to mention the countless cases of "the stupids" I've had on my own. ;)
And why is it the vents sometimes send out pulses of fire? I have to admit, though, my bird does really fly when it gets hit by two vents in quick succession. I've "flown" what looks like twenty feet or more. Dead, mind you, but flying.

Ooh, Sanatorium! Been there, too. Ugh.

Norbert
02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
New BS pink item: Barbequer's Fire Proof Suit. Can has pls??

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04_04/SilverFireR_389x650.jpg

Royce
02-15-2011, 03:19 PM
New BS pink item: Barbequer's Fire Proof Suit. Can has pls??

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04_04/SilverFireR_389x650.jpg

I literally L'ed MAO, and now I can't find where it went D:

CanonicalKoi
02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
I was asking for asbestos underwear for Valentine's Day yesterday. No luck, sigh. *sniffle*