PDA

View Full Version : Character Class Weakness?

Junside
02-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I always get stopped by a mage enemy's attack in plasma pyramid and it slows me down, I hate it. But it doesn't happen when I run with my mage.(Maybe obviously)

Is there a way to repel being stopped in my tracks by mage attacks?

Ladylove
02-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Junside... A mage's heal removes negative effects...

DontNerfMeBro
02-15-2011, 09:52 PM
I know what you mean and it's totally annoying. Funny thing is though, I feel like it happens most often when I run with my enchantress...significantly less than with bird. I haven't done any real tests but I think if you can drop an AOE just before you cross that aggro threshold you can spoil their "first strike".

Zeus
02-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Birds dodge most procs, hence the reason why they can rush easier, albeit Ironically die easier too :). Elfs can heal away most procs but definitely worked a lot better when heal had a cooldown of 1-2 seconds.

Junside
02-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Junside... A mage's heal removes negative effects...

I know what you mean and it's totally annoying. Funny thing is though, I feel like it happens most often when I run with my enchantress...significantly less than with bird. I haven't done any real tests but I think if you can drop an AOE just before you cross that aggro threshold you can spoil their "first strike".

I'm not sure you guys understand what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about PVP, I'm talking about PVE Plasma Pyramid. I mean I'm running, and the melee enemies don't stop me when they hit me. Arrows don't stop me when I'm running and I get hit. But as soon as a mage hits me with a fireball(normal attack) I halt in my tracks for about a second and then I'm able to move again. Doesn't happen if I dodge it though, so I know this has to be some sort of weakness.

Ladylove
02-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure you guys understand what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about PVP, I'm talking about PVE Plasma Pyramid. I mean I'm running, and the melee enemies don't stop me when they hit me. Arrows don't stop me when I'm running and I get hit. But as soon as a mage hits me with a fireball(normal attack) I halt in my tracks for about a second and then I'm able to move again. Doesn't happen if I dodge it though, so I know this has to be some sort of weakness.

Oh, nah that happens to everything.

Physiologic
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
What you experience, not only in Plasma Pyramid, but in all other maps, is damage delay (seen in other MMOs). I believe damage delays in PL are triggered either by x amount of damage or a certain type of damage that makes you stop in your tracks so you can't run away quickly all the time :(

Junside
02-15-2011, 10:06 PM
What you experience, not only in Plasma Pyramid, but in all other maps, is damage delay (seen in other MMOs). I believe damage delays in PL are triggered either by x amount of damage or a certain type of damage that makes you stop in your tracks so you can't run away quickly all the time :(

17 damage from a fireball? :( I'm scared now.

Militaryman
02-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Ya I noticed this too... I think I'm out of the room, but noooooo I have to snap back into the middle of the muck mob...

Physiologic
02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
17 damage from a fireball? :( I'm scared now.

Yeah, I thought it was only a certain minimum enemy damage until you brought that up.

Junside
02-15-2011, 10:11 PM
If anyone doesn't understand, go to plasma pyramid and walk down the hall. Watch yourself get halted. It's so annoying, I feel like I have to micro manage and kill mages first.

Fyrce
02-16-2011, 03:14 AM
There are a couple ways to deal with this. Yes, some attacks do make you pause a bit in your walk.

Just keep going, using ice, mana shield, firestorm and heal if you have to as you go. Generally just ignoring this and keep the joystick moving works. I know sometimes it looks like you won't make it, but amazingly most times you will. I think it might be a delay thing and it's not as bad as it looks.

If you really do get stopped, you'll need to kill the whole group. If this happens regularly, figure out about how many mobs you are comfortable drawing. Stop about then and blast the whole bunch of them. You just need to get rid of most of them, not all. In certain areas, I know for my mage, it's corridor, corridor, kill at this corner, etc. It'll take a bit of experimenting too to know where mobs reset. Because if the whole mass resets just inside the next room, then just kill on the further wall of that room and most of the mobs will reset.

DontNerfMeBro
02-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Jun. I understand exactly what you're talking about. To reiterate, this "stun" seems to happen more frequently when I run with my enchantress than any another toon.

"Damage delay" seems like a convincing buzz term but I'm not so sure. I've never experienced this sort of effect in any other MMO before that didn't accompany some sort of mechanical acknowledgement. (dizzy stars, text log, debuff animation, etc) At this point I'd almost consider it buggy.

MoonYeol
02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
I'd say that it's just a delay. The mages weapon is known to make you stop. The same happens in ANY campaign. Go out and test it. So it's probably a delay, the weapon actually hits you when you're at point A but by the time your device senses it, you've already reached point B. For all that the server cares, you got hit at point A and you also got stunned. Ergo, you're placed at point A where the server thinks you should be. Sometimes, with some weapons. The projectile speed is slower than the actual dmg. Check the lightning wands, for example Laser Wand of Cosmos or Glow Stick or even the Lv 55 (at least Gem Star). The projectiles haven't even reached the target when the dmg pops up.

That's my explanation. And I don't know if heal will dispell an instant proc. Since it's not a freeze or stun. Maybe it would count as a millisecond stun. That just makes you stop. The only way is to live with it. Run Plasma Pyramid, gather the mobs after you, never stop and just blast them whenever your cooldowns reach 0. That's how we roll in da hood. It's a rough world, you're bound to get some scratches.

Zerious
02-16-2011, 01:24 PM
*notes it's only mages*

DontNerfMeBro
02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Anybody have input regarding how many mobs can be AOE'd at one time? I've repeatedly noticed that after pulling a large group of mobs and fireblasting, there's a cluster of 3 mobs that are unaffected. The attempt registers as 3 misses but continually, in clusters of 3?

Physiologic
02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Jun. I understand exactly what you're talking about. To reiterate, this "stun" seems to happen more frequently when I run with my enchantress than any another toon.

"Damage delay" seems like a convincing buzz term but I'm not so sure. I've never experienced this sort of effect in any other MMO before that didn't accompany some sort of mechanical acknowledgement. (dizzy stars, text log, debuff animation, etc) At this point I'd almost consider it buggy.

In Maplestory (2-D environment), you'd get knocked back when getting hit by an enemy and flash for 2 seconds indicating you've been hit. I more or less make this synonymous with PL's damage delay as well (you stopped in your tracks when you get hit by an enemy, but not all attacks do this).

Anybody have input regarding how many mobs can be AOE'd at one time? I've repeatedly noticed that after pulling a large group of mobs and fireblasting, there's a cluster of 3 mobs that are unaffected. The attempt registers as 3 misses but continually, in clusters of 3?

I think for Blast Shot the most I've seen was 6 enemies, but I didn't do any methodical testing. Royce probably knows more about this because his main character is a mage.

MoonYeol
02-16-2011, 07:24 PM
In Maplestory (2-D environment), you'd get knocked back when getting hit by an enemy and flash for 2 seconds indicating you've been hit. I more or less make this synonymous with PL's damage delay as well (you stopped in your tracks when you get hit by an enemy, but not all attacks do this).

Are you certain it's a delayed dmg? Isn't it just the latency between the movement on your device and the mobs that belong to the server? My thoughts are that the mobs and NPC's are on the server. Your character and the map is on your device. When you get a lag spike, you keep moving, no new mobs appear and the ones you see might not do anything. That's because your device has lost the connection to the server. While your device doesn't know what the server is doing, the mobs are having a blast with you because they are on the server. So maybe you will keep moving but every attack you try to make, every spell you cast, won't affect the mobs. The same goes for the mobs, at least from your point of view. If the mobs attack you, you can't see it, the dmg or the procs won't show up on your device. When connection is established, your requests to cast spells or attack will be performed. Sadly for you, the mobs had the duration of the lag to beat the crap out of your empty shell while you couldn't even see it. So any dmg, heal, stun that wouldn't show up will still have happened. Sorry for my crude explanation.

So, imagine this but in a split second. What I mean is that I don't think it's a delayed dmg. It's simply a delay. When you have the time to move freely for maybe 0.1-0.5 seconds, you've actually already been hit. I also think that it has something to do with projectile speed. The actual dmg and proc will occur before the animation of the projectile has reached you. But maybe it takes until the projectile reaches you before it syncs. Sorry for being fuzzy. But I can't explain it better.

Take a look at your projectile speed and when the dmg occurs. Then consider that the information about your movement has to travel from your device, to the server, the mobs on the server attacks you, your device thinks it's ok to move in the mean time. The server has already decided that the mobs have attacked you but it takes until the information has travelled back to your device for it to show. I apologize for the long, unclear, confusing post..

I think we're actually saying the same thing just in different ways... so.. Umm I will refrain from writing more posts at 01:43 local time.

Physiologic
02-16-2011, 07:44 PM
It's not literally a "delay in damage" per say, it's the consequence of an enemy damaging you and you get knockbacked and halted in your tracks to hinder escape. I don't think it has anything to do with lag, I think it's just to make the game more difficult.

DontNerfMeBro
02-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Birds dodge most procs

Interesting. Do you mean birds generally have a higher dodge rate or are you saying that they have some undocumented ability to resist effects after they've been hit? I'm pretty sure you're already aware of the former so I'm curious as to what you're talking about.

Zerious
02-16-2011, 08:51 PM
It's not literally a "delay in damage" per say, it's the consequence of an enemy damaging you and you get knockbacked and halted in your tracks to hinder escape. I don't think it has anything to do with lag, I think it's just to make the game more difficult.

I side with Moon, I think it's a latency thing because this happens in Balefort with my 50 if i don't attack....

DontNerfMeBro
02-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Latency would suggest damage not being calculated in the queue properly but doesn't account for the "stun" effect it creates. Physiologic states it properly. It's just an unanimated affect.

Fyrce
02-17-2011, 02:12 AM
All I know is keep going. Mostly that works :P
If it's a lag thing and no new mobs are showing up, stop somewhere where mobs are NOT. Sometimes you come back "safe", which is pretty amusing.

MoonYeol
02-17-2011, 03:15 AM

I think we're actually saying the same thing in different words. I'm just not sure if it's a knockback or if it's the fact that you got hit when you were at that point and the attack stunned or stopped you there but you keep on going because the communication between your device and the server doesn't happen in a millisecond. Or something like that. But we can all agree that you just get pulled back and that it's annoying as hell.

Pharcyde
02-17-2011, 11:17 AM
I understand exactly what you mean Junside, my mage never gets fatigued while running plasma pyramid, but my bear and bird get it all the time. Yes Healing removes negative effects LadyLove but No, the negative effects don't even go to the mage in the first place in Plasma Pyramid.

Idk if Mage Vs Mage, effects don't work or what, but other two classes get slowed down a ton in plasma runs.