PDA

View Full Version : Orb etiquette

GoofyYno
02-18-2011, 07:58 AM
I used to wonder why in captive audience why people would grab both orbs in the small room between hall, esp is someone else was going to get one. Why not take one, and leave one for others? Do they even stack? now I’m noticing the same in hideout (although, they are certainly not needed)
And, why do some people never even want them? I can see some areas where they are placed too far away for usefulness.
I suppose if you were playing as a team the reds should be left for the highest damage dealer - why not double the best, and the purples for the mages? But I’ve never seen anyone play that way.

Doubletime
02-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I think it is just a lack of general knowledge as to what the orbs do in most cases. People see them and think -- oh cool some kind of bonus. Personally I ususally leave orbs for mages because of the double aoe damage from their spells for mob control. However, if they are getting skipped by everyone I usually grab the red and run to the front of the party so my bird can lay waste to the groups I can reach before it expires. It can be quite effective in blasting through a group.

I also think orbs are wasted when grabbed by bears (including my own) -- unless we are talking PvP.

Ricey
02-18-2011, 08:22 AM
I was playing an elite dungeon last night with a bunch of 50s and one of them was just taking all the orbs, even when his health and mana were full.. if you don't need them, save them for someone who does and if more than one of you need them, then I guess it's survival of the fastest.

Balgreta
02-18-2011, 08:35 AM
I was playing an elite dungeon last night with a bunch of 50s and one of them was just taking all the orbs, even when his health and mana were full.. if you don't need them, save them for someone who does and if more than one of you need them, then I guess it's survival of the fastest.

Health and Mana shouldn't be a deciding factor on getting an orb - they generally increase armor or dmg dealt; not replenish pools, if your a mage taking dmg already chances are an orb will be too far away to help you anyway.

I agree its near pointless for bears to get dmg, it could be an idea for them to get the armor but only if they plan on doing a pull 2x a big as they normally would and feel confident they can keep agro on 10+ mobs.

Ricey
02-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Wait, we're talking at cross purposes, cause there are orbs that replenish health and mana pools, the red & blue ones but you're talking about the purple ones, right? I've seen those but had no idea what they did and generally just left them for someone else to have..

Turkster
02-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Only time I grab an orb is if a red one is up right before goldfever, and I only do this on my bird. I also let other birds take that one when I'm on my mage because birds do the
highest single target damage. I don't think any of the other orbs matter too much because trash mobs die so quickly anyway.

Balgreta
02-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Wait, we're talking at cross purposes, cause there are orbs that replenish health and mana pools, the red & blue ones but you're talking about the purple ones, right? I've seen those but had no idea what they did and generally just left them for someone else to have..

There really isn't anywhere pve wise that the blue ones appear at later game apart from if your lucky in one victory lap room.

He mentioned captive audience which has red and purple orbs so thats what i was refering to :)

Ricey
02-18-2011, 08:55 AM
These are the ones that stick to your character when you pick them up, right? So it looks like he has a little purple shield around him?

Balgreta
02-18-2011, 10:21 AM
These are the ones that stick to your character when you pick them up, right? So it looks like he has a little purple shield around him?

yeah those are the ones

KingFu
02-18-2011, 11:43 AM
No, orbs do not stack. People take them both because they either think they stack, or just wanna be the one getting kills/staying alive. The smart thing to do is let either a Mage, or a tank get the dodge orbs (purple ones) to keep them alive, and either an archer, or a Mage to get the damage orbs (the red ones) for the AoE and high damage. When some people don't want them, they're either being smart players and leaving it to someone more in need, or they're just too lazy to walk over to em:p or maybe they just don't see em.

The worst thing is when you have little mana/health in PvP, and someone takes the orb when you're right next to it, it's really just sloppy playing. Or when you're in gurgox room and someone takes 2+ orbs. Only instance I do that is if I got the first orb too early and I know it's gonna give out, so I get another (they don't stack, but they do refresh for how long the orbs will last).

Norbert
02-18-2011, 12:00 PM
There really isn't anywhere pve wise that the blue ones appear at later game apart from if your lucky in one victory lap room.

He mentioned captive audience which has red and purple orbs so thats what i was refering to :)

Ricey mentioned elite dungeons and the green and blue orbs appear there and are for health and mana respectively.

I think sometimes people don't take the red orbs cause they don't want to get aggro, e.g. from Goldy. I love to get them with mage or archer though and go in a-blastin.

Moogerfooger
02-18-2011, 12:05 PM

I might be misreading you, but the red orbs are not for health.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, pls.

Red = damage
Purple = armor
Green = health
Blue = mana

Major
02-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Red = damage
Purple = armor
Green = health
Blue = mana

That sounds right to me.

drewcapu
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Don't forget yellow = run faster (chicken!!!)

(I've seen purple described as either for armor, dodge, or even inflict a hit debuff. But I've never actually compared stats before/after.)

KingFu
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Red = damage
Purple = armor
Green = health
Blue = mana

I believe purple is dodge, but I may be mistaken.

Moogerfooger
02-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Don't forget yellow = run faster (chicken!!!)

(I've seen purple described as either for armor, dodge, or even inflict a hit debuff. But I've never actually compared stats before/after.)

Ooh yeah, forgot that one.

I am willing to bet your life that purple is for armor :D actually, I am not positive and Mystical could be right and it may be dodge, but I just wanted to bet someone's life.

Good runs last night on the Death Train, BTW.

TwinkTastical
02-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Using orbs as pots? Now thats welfare.

Royce
02-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Using orbs as pots? Now thats welfare.

Actually that's how the elite dungeons used to be back when they were actually elite...

TwinkTastical
02-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Actually that's how the elite dungeons used to be back when they were actually elite...

True... true.... Damnit, Me: 0 Royce: I lost count.

Redbridge
03-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Sorry to revive an old post but was purple ever confirmed as dodge or armour?

Red = damage
Purple = armor or dodge
Green = health
Blue = mana
yellow = run faster

lilbyrdie
03-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Sorry to revive an old post but was purple ever confirmed as dodge or armour?

Red = damage
Purple = armor or dodge
Green = health
Blue = mana
yellow = run faster

Does anyone know more specifics?

These only last a certain amount of time:
Red = damage -- Does it increase "damage" like "Damage +5" on a weapon? So it would also increase skill damage?
Purple = armor or dodge? And for how long?
Yellow = Run faster. Same as elixir? For how long?

These are one-time effects:
Green = Full heal, a one-time effect (not H/s)
Blue = Full mana restore, a one-time effect (not M/s)

If no one knows, I can check red/purple later on in CtK -- right outside the keeper. I know I've used both when I lose aggro. I run out, grab them, then go back in (and promptly get aggro). They don't last long, though.

I'm also curious if the green/purple/yellow stack properly with the elixirs.

Final question: All of the orbs respawn. Does anyone know exactly how long that takes? Does it depend on the map?

Orbs seem to be one of the more under utilized aspects of the game. Curiously, I tend to find them near where they are most needed, too.

Ebalere
04-02-2011, 03:53 PM
that was your own fault for grabbing a gurg orb early, why would you cost someone else their life for your mistake? sounds selfish to me

nightshade
04-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Does anyone know more specifics?

These only last a certain amount of time:
Red = damage -- Does it increase "damage" like "Damage +5" on a weapon? So it would also increase skill damage?
Purple = armor or dodge? And for how long?
Yellow = Run faster. Same as elixir? For how long?

These are one-time effects:
Green = Full heal, a one-time effect (not H/s)
Blue = Full mana restore, a one-time effect (not M/s)

If no one knows, I can check red/purple later on in CtK -- right outside the keeper. I know I've used both when I lose aggro. I run out, grab them, then go back in (and promptly get aggro). They don't last long, though.

I'm also curious if the green/purple/yellow stack properly with the elixirs.

Final question: All of the orbs respawn. Does anyone know exactly how long that takes? Does it depend on the map?

Orbs seem to be one of the more under utilized aspects of the game. Curiously, I tend to find them near where they are most needed, too.

red orbs for 2x dmg
also...i thought purple orbs were for regen?