PDA

View Full Version : To be Pure, or not to be Pure. That is the question

RedRyder
02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
im too used to pally right now (thanks to Esus T^T). i love how i almost never die and im alive 90% of the time to do heals/reviving. im not in it for insane damage and kills (as you can see with my 12k kill count lol) ive always played support since release, being pure all the way till ao2 (again thanks to Esus lol,) but i know that if i was a pure mage i would have more ms for skills AND my damage based skills would do wayyyyy more and heal would actually significantly heal everyone.

so im stuck at the crossroads between pure or paly for red. with scarlet ive seen that pure dex is really beneficial, but is it worth making the move with red??

Royce
02-18-2011, 03:30 PM
To be.

RedRyder
02-18-2011, 03:32 PM
To be.

coming from a pure mage ;) but isnt the death rate pretty high for pure mages now? :(
btw how did you do less than /10char. without the sneaky white text?

Echelong
02-18-2011, 03:35 PM
coming from a pure mage ;) but isnt the death rate pretty high for pure mages now? :(

Yes I am still thinking the same I am currently dual but I rarely use my int set anymore. I am thinking on having enough points to dual hate 127 and the rest on int to use the 55 int gear. Still thinking though.

Physiologic
02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
To be.

edit: Anyway, I've seen pure int mages who were absolutely pro, pallys who were really bad. I've seen pure int mages who were absolutely horrible, and pallys who were really good. Case in point, just be good at whichever road you pick because from what I've seen it's all a matter of player skill.

Also, vbulletin html coding sticks words together if they're separated by too many spaces. The spaces are included as characters but they don't show up when you submit a post :)

RedRyder
02-18-2011, 03:41 PM
alright then its settled. im going to try and sell my cosmo set or rift or maybe even both and but some gem int gear.
luckily for me i looted a purp gem wand the first day

Major
02-18-2011, 03:42 PM
To be, for sho!

Royce
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM

I have one of each ;) Only leveled my Int mage through BS so far, but I'm quite familiar with all Mage builds. Anyway, the armor on Mega Mage gear is nice. With the wand set and an armor ring on, I can easily solo all the BS maps and most bosses.

RedRyder
02-18-2011, 04:22 PM
im skilled at both actually phys, ive been playing pure and paly for eaqual amounts of time, but pure is my native group with my mage. id be pretty good on it. just ask anyone ive played with :). gonna respec tonight. thanks for the output fellas

DawnInfinity
02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I've been debating the same thing

Zojak
02-18-2011, 04:53 PM
I've been thinking of the exact thing as well! Granted my pally is only 31, I've switched back and forth a couple times, and i always come back to the pally, for the survivability, i find i live a lot longer with the str build, but i do miss the damage, and i will probably continue to flip flop for another few levels until i can decide how i want to play when i'm 50+

giayuan
02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Ive been thinking about the same thing too.. Stuck, so im sticking with dual wield lvl50 gear for now lol

RedRyder
02-18-2011, 05:18 PM
K so I purchased purple Mage gear for level 53 save for the wand. Anyone wanna help me to 53? Im like 52 and 3/4ths

WhoIsThis
02-18-2011, 05:52 PM
If you can't decide, you may want to consider hybrid.

Ellyidol
02-18-2011, 06:00 PM
To be.

Made this decision just last night, and it cost me quite a bit of money and time just playing around with builds, but eventually pure still seemed best. :)

Edit:

No prob on helping level, I like doing GF runs so I'll be sure to invite :)

Otukura
02-18-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm actually thinking of switching to pure also...ah, I think I'll go do it right now, before I can talk myself out of it.

RedRyder
02-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanksss I'm getting on now! Gonna be selling my 51 gen Str equips. All purples but the shield pm if interested

With the axe not the sword (it's better)

TwinkTastical
02-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Idc either way.

Physiologic
02-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Idc either way.

Any other math problems you need me to solve?

Angelicious
02-18-2011, 09:53 PM
pure I guess, I got bored of dual long time ago

Bonniewinters
02-18-2011, 10:42 PM
I tried a pally for about 10 minutes and hated it. I switched to pure int immediately. I'm the kind of player that loves to farm lower dungeons solo so pure Mage is where it's at! I focus in aoe damage so all my aoe spells are maxed and so are buffs and de buffs. With all mega Mage gear and staff, my firestorm and lightning's top damage is over 400, unbuffed. Even ice storm tops at over 300. That said, my surviability in the sewers is quite good and I stay pretty aggro. Mana shield and good timing works wonders!

MoonYeol
02-19-2011, 05:08 AM
I tried a pally for about 10 minutes and hated it. I switched to pure int immediately. I'm the kind of player that loves to farm lower dungeons solo so pure Mage is where it's at! I focus in aoe damage so all my aoe spells are maxed and so are buffs and de buffs. With all mega Mage gear and staff, my firestorm and lightning's top damage is over 400, unbuffed. Even ice storm tops at over 300. That said, my surviability in the sewers is quite good and I stay pretty aggro. Mana shield and good timing works wonders!

+1 but dual wield is pretty neat. However, your hit will suck the big one if you go str/int since Lv 50+ int pinks don't have any hit. Health pots will be used if you go all pink Lv 55...

Dammit, I just realised I'm dex/int for the hit%.

RedRyder
02-19-2011, 07:57 AM
its actually mana pots thats youd be guzzling lol. i did the switch last night and im really not used to the lack of armor :( but im gonna stick to pure...

BlazeMystic
02-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I recently went from dex to dual spec to hybrid and now to pure int. lol. I much prefer the amount of damage and its far more enjoyable to play than the dual spec (in my opinion, for what thats worth)! my mage has died more frequently, but I'm getting better now. Bosses can be a problem though as can those lovely fire grate traps - if timed wrong!

its actually mana pots thats youd be guzzling lol. i did the switch last night and im really not used to the lack of armor anymore :( but um gonna stick to pure...

Echelong
02-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I respeced today to 127str/153int I did this so I could dual hate and the new gear. I was going to buy mega mages but I am sticking to purples and green since I have more damage, 25 mana regen, 27 crit unbuffed (87 buffed) and hit is 122. I will later on try the pinks but you lose to much as far as stats go. You only gain some armor but lose crit, hit and h/s.

TwinkTastical
02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Any other math problems you need me to solve?

The mathmatical variance equivalent of dobermans 5th concerto.

Anyrra
02-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Ive also been debating this, and Im still undecided.

Royce
02-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I will later on try the pinks but you lose to much as far as stats go. You only gain some armor but lose crit, hit and h/s.

You also gain a good deal of base damage, increasing your attack and skill damage directly, and if you go pure Int, you won't need that hit%. 0 H/s is more than enough for a mage, so that isn't even a factor IMO. For a cheap option I would recommend Lowman's greens as better than Mastermind purps.

Echelong
02-19-2011, 12:05 PM
You also gain a good deal of base damage, increasing your attack and skill damage directly, and if you go pure Int, you won't need that hit%. 0 H/s is more than enough for a mage, so that isn't even a factor IMO. For a cheap option I would recommend Lowman's greens as better than Mastermind purps.

Yes I have lowmans and masterminds so far. I am thinking of getting the pink staff for more damage. But with the masterminds I can up my crit to 93% and crit do double damage. Even though my base damage is lower the crits are doing a lot more damage. For a more balance build I use a lowman green and get 87% crit buffed of course.

I'm gonna have to go Physiologic style on this lol. Hard to do when grinding to 56.

Royce
02-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Lowmans or Mega Mage gives you 10 base damage per item. This applies to your skills and attack. So every one of your attaks or skills does 40 more damage With the wand set. IMO that's far more valuable than a bit of Crit. And when you consider the armor boost and mana regen gain, I think either MM or Lowman is a clear choice over Mastermind for a pure Int Mage. For some kind of dual build with low hit% Mastemind would be worthwhile, but if you're pure Int go green or pink ;)

Echelong
02-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes I will be getting a pink set as soon as I find a good price. But like Physiologic suggested that there might be an 85 hit% cap. If that's true then anything above that is wasted. Crit is very good since double damage but 40 damage is also pretty good. And I don't really need more than 21 mana since its more than you can waste unless you have to use the mana shield.

Physiologic
02-19-2011, 02:27 PM
If you can somehow get up to 93% crit you can test it out yourself if a crit% cap exists (and I'm pretty sure it does). 100% crits are absolutely ridonkulous to have in any game, as it is a definite game-killer. I'm unsure if you'd want to do that though since it's a painstaking process to record each individual piece of hit/crit/dodge/miss.

Figuring out the crit cap would be very helpful for prospective equips. Maybe it's 70% for all we know.

WhoIsThis
02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
If you can somehow get up to 93% crit you can test it out yourself if a crit% cap exists (and I'm pretty sure it does). 100% crits are absolutely ridonkulous to have in any game, as it is a definite game-killer. I'm unsure if you'd want to do that though since it's a painstaking process to record each individual piece of hit/crit/dodge/miss.

Figuring out the crit cap would be very helpful for prospective equips. Maybe it's 70% for all we know.

Have a dex-mage test out the crit cap (it gives +60% crit). The Blessings of Might combined with the Raid Roach's 41% crit means 101% crit!