PDA

View Full Version : Where did the term "twink" come from?

Tengotengo
02-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know?

I remember it from Everquest referring to low-level players getting elite gear to help with powerleveling. At some point, I think the term shifted to any sort of powerleveled character, or anyone wearing specific items associated with it, like the 14hp/sec regen Fungal Tunic.

The thing is...there's also another connotation for it that I know of, which would be a little less...in having to do with MMOs. I do believe this term predates EQ, and in fact any MMO..and probably home computing.

Anyway, let's get a little colloquial etymology thread going here. I think the term needs re-coining.

Rebel
02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
I think it was actually born in WoW, but I'm not quite sure.

Zerious
02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I think it was actually born in WoW, but I'm not quite sure.

lvl 19s in WoW pvping.... that's as much as i can remember

noobmigo
02-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Twas' the night b4 Christmas, that twink was invented. Some say it came from WoW, or EQ, but that idea's head was truly dented. For everyone knows that twinks were made in Alterra. If you say otherwise, I don't give a care-a. What is Alterra? Why........Alterra is awesome, filled with elves, archers, and bears. They have the only devs in the world that actually cares (about there customers) Alterra will get you addicted, like a man first taking crack, you can try and quit, but you'll always come back. BLAH BLAH BLAH- to be continued.

P.S. I'm kidding, "Twink" came from WoW

Zerious
02-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Twas' the night b4 Christmas, that twink was invented. Some say it came from WoW, or EQ, but that idea's head was truly dented. For everyone knows that twinks were made in Alterra. If you say otherwise, I don't give a care-a. What is Alterra? Why........Alterra is awesome, filled with elves, archers, and bears. They have the only devs in the world that actually cares (about there customers) Alterra will get you addicted, like a man first taking crack, you can try and quit, but you'll always come back. BLAH BLAH BLAH- to be continued.

P.S. I'm kidding, "Twink" came from WoW

tell me another bedtime story Noobmigo, mi amigo :D

Tsarra
02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
The thing is...there's also another connotation for it that I know of, which would be a little less...in having to do with MMOs. I do believe this term predates EQ, and in fact any MMO..and probably home computing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinking#Etymology

I was just looking at this the other day.

Tengotengo
02-19-2011, 03:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinking#Etymology

I was just looking at this the other day.

That pretty much wraps in up with a pretty little bow. I understand the connection and connotation now. Thanks!

Zerious
02-19-2011, 03:50 PM
too many definitions it's more general than "competitive pvping leagues"

Cmandial
02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
From wikipedia:

The gay-slang usage of "twink" has been suggested as a likely origin.[1] One of the unofficial connotations of this usage is "a young/inexperienced person who can outfit himself fashionably because of financial benefits from an older/experienced sugar daddy." This parallels MMORPGs, where in-game money is a strong limiting factor in the virtual economy and gear is usually in the form of clothing and jewelry.

Tsarra
02-21-2011, 06:08 PM
From wikipedia:

The gay-slang usage of "twink" has been suggested as a likely origin.[1] One of the unofficial connotations of this usage is "a young/inexperienced person who can outfit himself fashionably because of financial benefits from an older/experienced sugar daddy." This parallels MMORPGs, where in-game money is a strong limiting factor in the virtual economy and gear is usually in the form of clothing and jewelry.

That would, in fact, be the text from the article I linked above. ;)

Wrap
02-21-2011, 06:23 PM
It came and originated from the one and only, almighty Mr. Twinktastical himself of course ;)

Cmandial
02-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Yep I was just saying I found that part humorous.

Sun
02-21-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it came from WoW, where the level 19 twinks would all have glowy "twinkling" weapon enchants. The shiny weapons were like an identifier, so they started calling them twinks, short for twinkle.

Zerious
02-21-2011, 07:54 PM
It came and originated from the one and only, almighty Mr. Twinktastical himself of course ;)

what... a... lie.... His name came from the same origin I'm sure... don't patronize him...

Djether
02-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Twink started in wow but there has been LLD since Diablo, low lvl dueling, all they did was Change the name and act like it was new.

between
02-22-2011, 10:37 PM
lol twinking definatly came wayyyy before wow. we used it in UO, and the LLDing in d2 some ppl called it twinking some people didnt. both games born way before wows time lol.

EQTyrant
04-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Twink came in December of 1999 after the release of EQ when WoW was lucky to be in beta..if even on the drawing board. Alisstar was a wizard on Rallos Zek server that got the idea to fully gear a level one toon in things like a Cloak of Flames from the original dragon raids. His toon then proceeded to kill level 20+ people. He was incredibly redneck and somehow the saying stuck..possibly invented before this i'm sure but this was the first time I saw it in a game, not WoW..rofl.

Edit: Another neat saying that died with the PvP generation was FEF - a coin termed by an incredibly angry bard when he had to kite Klandikar for 3 hours until enough logged on to kill it. It means F_cken F_ggot

CelticStyle
04-28-2011, 03:06 AM
Lmao the good ol times in diablo lod..... Had all my char lv95 and crashing pub games >.>
Funny how I used my amazon to guard the map with my buddies to get revenge lmao. They got hella ticked :P
Guided arrow N Multi Arrows FTW LOL.

Idk how but I owned like crazy with my summon necro O.o... Killed the entire game by meat stacking LOLOLOL

xxkilertankxx
04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I used to play WoW great game had a amazing lvl 80 warlock and dad deleted it off the comp and was never able to download it again ;( but power lvlin and twink all those terms came from wow since i am no longer able to play wow until i get a labtop i will stick to PL!!!!! cause its a great game just like Wow so ya

Tiliana
04-29-2011, 09:53 PM
I used to play WoW great game had a amazing lvl 80 warlock and dad deleted it off the comp and was never able to download it again ;( but power lvlin and twink all those terms came from wow since i am no longer able to play wow until i get a labtop i will stick to PL!!!!! cause its a great game just like Wow so ya

Actually, power leveling and twink were terms used before WoW even came out. It was common terminology when I played EQ back in the 90's

EpicLol
04-29-2011, 10:02 PM
no idea when it came around but wow made it big imo

romgar1
04-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes, the word twink came from WoW, but low level dueling came from diablo. First mmorpg with pvp. Get out your godly armor or the whale and kings sword of heavens(or axe). Lets town kill ;)

Gigiwren
05-02-2011, 09:59 AM
LOL. This reminds me of my first days of PL. I only downloaded it because of a google search I did once I got sick of Angry Birds. Searched for "best game for droid". Found PL. Had NEVER done a whazzis called MMOG before. Downloaded it, my little mage was born, killed a few zombies in school, and went out to the big world of FH. So when I came to the forums for tips, here is the kind of stuff I read, " The guild and I took my twink to farm, got xp, used lots of pots, and that's how it's done." I was like, "what???". I had to google everything, "what is a twink", "what is farming in online gaming", etc. Learned a whole new language! Thanks to everyone who evre explained anything to anyone, I was there lurking and learning as well.

PorkinISdead
05-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Twinking in WoW is the best :)