PDA

View Full Version : Performance: Device matters!

DontNerfMeBro
02-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Apologies if this is a rehash but I've had the unique experience of playing PL on 3 different devices recently and I must say... Device matters.

I'm not talking in a marginal way either. I mean jaw dropping performance issues between each machine.

I use a Droid 2 to play PL 99% of the time and despite dealing with most of the common issues listed within more specific threads, I figured it was adequate. (Common/severe issues include unresponsive key presses for abilities and movements)

Playing on an Ipad was awkward though I chalk that up to interface preference and difficulties in recreating habits. Regardless, I felt the Ipad still had similar performance issues in regards to touch sensitivity when spamming multiple functions.

Holding posterity in highest regard, I must say that using the Samsung Galaxy Tab performed the best in almost every aspect. I'm not trying to make this a technical review but daaaaaaaaamn! The screen ratio was perfect for "dual thumbing" without reaching and proportions seemed preferable though the largest difference was in the sensitivity. This device was so responsive in executing fluid combos regardless of how maniacally I wielded the movement cursor it was sadly disappointing I didn't own it.

I have to say the difference was so overwhelming I can't help but feel suddenly unsatisfied when playing the game on my original Droid 2. The PVP experience feels unthinkably awkward and depressing. Anyone have similar multi-device experiences?

powerandintent
02-20-2011, 04:53 AM
I've only ever played on moto Droid X. I'm excited to hear more on this!

Ellyidol
02-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Its definitely device powered.

My iPhone 4 plays PL SO MUCH better than on my iPad.

I used to be only play on my iPad with double pixel on (it might help you), but its been manageable since they added disable effects.

I've also heard some players playing smoothly on an iPad, so I'm not sure on that either.

KingFu
02-20-2011, 05:05 AM
I had a droid 2, got a droid x and for some reason it runs so much smoother and nicer than the 2. I play on iPad and it seems to run nicer than iPod and android, but I may be favoring it due to the screen size;)

DontNerfMeBro
02-20-2011, 05:24 AM
Great feedback but lemme' clarify my initial thought and reel this thread in.

I'm curious as to different devices performance when activating multiple, consecutive, and sometimes simultaneous functions in the PL interface. Not simply FPS.

I won't attempt to talk about more than I know and simply put; I don't know much about the engineering of the actual touch screen on a computer device though I'm willing to wager some are better than others. I think this is an interesting topic because putting basic multi-touch zoom functions aside, I can't think of many reasons other than playing a game like PL in which this ability could be as remotely critical, and therefore, thoroughly tested. IOW: EVERY two-bit company makes a touch screen device nowadays. You touch a link....it links....fantastic.

My Droid 2 renders graphics like a champ and I feel it's fairly fast in comparison to others. But its touch sensitivity? Meh.. maybe not so much.

adwin
02-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Device DOES matter.
I found it the hard way while playing Dungeon Defenders. Try going to a high level dungeon in an online game, where you can have 40+ enemies at the same time...
The lag is epic. That is to say that DD is a graphically intensive game and you need to have enough horsepower in terms of CPU + graphics subunit to handle the stress + an additional bunch if you're hosting a party.

PL is quite similar in several aspects, but it renders quite well on "older" devices.
The samsung galaxy series will do an excellent job, since the CPU is a 1 GHz hummingbird coupled with an SGX 540 graphical subunit capable of rendering ~80 mln triangles/s
Other devices (single core) with older GPUs (1st generation snapdragons 8250/8650 with adreno 200 GPUs) will have a harder time. The newer ones (snapdragon 8255 with Adreno 205) will do just fine.
Screen resolution also plays an important role; an older device with a lower screen resolution will render better than the same device on a larger screen, since the amount of pixels to render will have drastically increased (it's usually a dpi 160/180/240).

So, if you play on a bigger device (4" and upwards), make sure you have enough horsepower in terms of cpu+gfx

You could also try killing any non-critical apps which are running in the background before starting a PL instance.

@DontNerfMeBro: are you running a custom rom or stock?
Is it really a touch-sensitivity issue or a multitouch issue?

kopi
02-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Oh so galaxy is good? I am playing on a 3gs, the only issue i have is when i play too long, the screen becomes unresponsive to my touch. I have to tap few times before the skill activates and its kind of annoying.

DontNerfMeBro
02-20-2011, 09:19 AM
@DontNerfMeBro: are you running a custom rom or stock?
Is it really a touch-sensitivity issue or a multitouch issue?

I'm running a stock ROM. The reason I don't think it's a processing issue is because the touch responsiveness doesn't vary depending on load. Every aspect of a device's hardware can be observed by its readily available specifications with the EXCEPTION of the actual touch screen itself. Heck, I don't even know what the proper terminology is for this piece of physical hardware. It's discouraging because it doesn't seem like this sort of performance can be fixed with an in game or manufacturer patch or update.

To answer "is it really a touch sensitivity issue or multitouch issue?", well... I'm not really sure I guess. :/

Zeus
02-20-2011, 11:26 AM
While devices matter, each has it's own advantages. For example while the Iphone 4 runs A LOT smoother then the Ipad, it doesn't have the advantage the Ipad has in PvP (You can use every single one of you skills at the same time). Just got to find the good thing in every device and take advantage of it.

Royce
02-20-2011, 11:31 AM
iPad is king in PvP unfortunately because you can fire off a megacombo in a millisecond. I find my iPod 4th gen and Galaxy S phone perform pretty similarly but the touch screen on the iPod seems slightly more responsive.

serulean
02-20-2011, 12:45 PM
how come they allow ipad users to spam skills simultaneously but not via other devices?

Physiologic
02-20-2011, 01:30 PM
The galaxy tab is beast, I don't own it myself but I have played PL on it as well. When Blackstar (more graphic-intensive than PL) comes out, it'll outperform other devices and the performance difference can be seen even more easily.

Yeah...too bad I don't have one. I'll stick with my Samsung Galaxy :) Go Korea!

Tengotengo
02-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Just a chime in from me; I'm on a Droid 1. It's murder, really. I can play, but I really shouldn't ever take the lead on tanking, healing, etc. Ping aside, I get lags and a hanging CPU when there's a full group spamming skills. I have high quality turned off and effects off as well, but no avail. I've actually gotten dropped from the game in keeper runs with 4 mages from the skill spams.

Having said that, I took my mage into Forgotten Crypt for some Vyx hunting, and when I cleared an area of all skellies and just the demon, my phone ran great. Smooth, fast and good looking with 2 mobs and minimum skill graphics.

My phone heats up pretty good too.

So basically the Droid 1 is not the most awesome gaming experience. I'm hoping to get an android pad, preferably a Viewsonic, in the near future. I'm sure that'll pick up the quality.