PDA

View Full Version : Gay and proud!

Freedomcaller
02-23-2011, 12:49 AM
So I'm gay, and i doubt I'm the only gay player. I know i can turn off the word filter, and most people would just use the word gay as an insult. But does the word homosexual really need to be blocked?

and on a side note, the word filter had no problem with me saying "molest rape necrophilia or pedophile" which is some pretty terrible stuff...

but to be unable to say that I'm GAY?!?!?!
I actually find that kind of offensive since there is nothing wrong with being gay...
http://kotaku.com/#!5301396/gay-pride-week-in-world-of-warcraft

Environment
02-23-2011, 12:56 AM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/I-dont-understand-what-your-saying/1/Understand-Bunny_(Pancake).jpg

icantgetkills
02-23-2011, 01:10 AM
i thought this thread was going to be super gay and it was..

lol but i agree some things u can say in the chat filter -_- compared to others

Militaryman
02-23-2011, 01:26 AM
You can't say "Jap"... Now I can see why this is censored, but people really don't use that term any more... WWII is long gone...

FluffNStuff
02-23-2011, 01:30 AM
So I'm gay, and i doubt I'm the only gay player. I know i can turn off the word filter, and most people would just use the word gay as an insult. But does the word homosexual really need to be blocked?

and on a side note, the word filter had no problem with me saying "molest rape necrophilia or pedophile" which is some pretty terrible stuff...

but to be unable to say that I'm GAY?!?!?!
I actually find that kind of offensive since there is nothing wrong with being gay...
http://kotaku.com/#!5301396/gay-pride-week-in-world-of-warcraft

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, and being gay or not has nothing to do with Pocket Legends. So why do you need to say it? Discussing anything of a sexual or romantic nature does not belong in the game, including yours or anyone else's orientation. Also consider that there a number of terms that certain races may use when speaking to another of that race that are blocked by the filter because they are more often then not used in a derogatory way.

Militaryman
02-23-2011, 01:32 AM
When I ask people if they can speak in Japanese, it comes out as ***anese... And when I say I know people fighting in Afghanistan, it comes out as ******istan...

Cmandial
02-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Turn off your chat filter. Problem solved, you're welcome.

Militaryman
02-23-2011, 01:34 AM
I know how to turn off the chat filter, but for those who don't, it's kinda awkward...

Cmandial
02-23-2011, 01:39 AM
@ freedomcaller: go to menu, options, next (bottom right corner), then unchecked the filter chat box.

Tsarra
02-23-2011, 02:15 AM
When I ask people if they can speak in Japanese, it comes out as ***anese... And when I say I know people fighting in Afghanistan, it comes out as ******istan...

Well, at least people won't think you're a *****ist. ;) Or a ******ist.

Moogerfooger
02-23-2011, 02:16 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, and being gay or not has nothing to do with Pocket Legends. So why do you need to say it? Discussing anything of a sexual or romantic nature does not belong in the game, including yours or anyone else's orientation. Also consider that there a number of terms that certain races may use when speaking to another of that race that are blocked by the filter because they are more often then not used in a derogatory way.

+1 .

thugimmortal
02-23-2011, 06:06 AM
Um i dont think this thread is appropriate its a game forum so whats this got to do with any thing. who cares what your sexual orientation is i for one dont want to read about it

Lesrider
02-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Um i dont think this thread is appropriate its a game forum so whats this got to do with any thing. who cares what your sexual orientation is i for one dont want to read about it

To be fair, people are always talking about their dating problems on here. So I don't think it's fair to single out one person. Every time someone asks for girlfriend advice, they're announcing their sexual orientation, and they haven't gotten reprimanded for it.
I don't think this guy said anything wrong -- was just talking about the chat filter. But when he sees how many kids use "gay" to describe everything they don't like, he may actually prefer the filter.

Just my 2 cents.

Junside
02-23-2011, 07:20 AM
That's cool. I got straight pride! High five! :D

Phoenixking
02-23-2011, 07:28 AM
I thought he meant gay like happy gay not oreintion gay i thought he was happy for soething till i opened i cant believe poo* is dregotary someway

superglut2
02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Why does it bother u so much? Come on man ur playing a video game 99% of the ppl here rly dont care if a player is gay or straight and wont even ask. Just play good and everyones happy.Why do u have the urge to tell random ppl ur sexuallity.I wouodbt care if straight was a banned word. I have never rly discussed my sexuality in a videogame. :)

PPL asking on a video game for bf/gf advice ... I dont even know how to describe how sorry i feel for these people. Sad sad world :(

StompArtist
02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
It's just a strange thread. There is absolutely no sexual references in this game... I hope it stays this way too.

Freedomcaller
02-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Why does it bother u so much? Come on man ur playing a video game 99% of the ppl here rly dont care if a player is gay or straight and wont even ask. Just play good and everyones happy.Why do u have the urge to tell random ppl ur sexuallity.I wouodbt care if straight was a banned word. I have never rly discussed my sexuality in a videogame. :)

PPL asking on a video game for bf/gf advice ... I dont even know how to describe how sorry i feel for these people. Sad sad world :(

if nobody cares if someone is gay or straight, why is gay filtered?

you dont need to use the word straight because by default everyone assumes your straight

people asking for BF/GF advice is fine. Talking to anyone about anything is fine. unless you think that people who play games are incapable of giving advice. but before you answer remember that you play the game as well. are you a real person? are you evil? so why cant they ask you for advice?

chatting is most of the appeal to the game for me, and i think thats true for a lot of people. if there was no chat function i wouldn't play...

If you wanted to remove all sexual content from the game, singling out gay people is a terrible way of doing it...

because as i pointed out, one could say
"i like to ejaculate on and molest kids, because i am a pedophile"
but can't say
"I vote in favor of gay marriage because i feel that it is wrong to treat gays as second class citizens."

and as i eluded too at the start, if you think soooo many people are going to use the word in a negative way, then block gay, and block homo, but at least unblock homosexual. if you cant figure out the regex, ill write it up for you. Besides anyone that wants to use blocked words in a derogatory way has already turned off the filter...

StompArtist
02-23-2011, 10:16 AM
You are attempting to turn this into a gay rights debate on PL. I am sure there is other more pressing areas where you can focus your activism. Email the devs if you feel this is so important to you.

And please spare us the vivid pedophile examples they are inappropriate and unacceptable no matter what kind of point you are trying to get across.

Freedomcaller
02-23-2011, 10:17 AM
if they are so terrible then why doesn't the word filter block them?

*edit*
and this is my email to the dev, its in the suggestions and feedback category no?

StompArtist
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
if they are so terrible then why doesn't the word filter block them?

Sorry not going to further the debate. Good luck.

Kujen
02-23-2011, 10:28 AM
It's because you aren't supposed to discuss anything of a sexual nature, in addition to anything threatening or racist, etc. It's in the ToS. They're just trying to keep the game safe for kids, so they have a strict chat filter.

It's probably the very word "sex" that is blocked, and homosexual has that word in it. Heterosexual would probably be blocked too. Anything with a disallowed word in it, or anything that looks like it, is filtered.

The filter is not perfect though, and I'm surprised "rape" wouldn't be blocked. Also, you may see people getting filtered for false positives such as "trash it" or "finish this".

Lesrider
02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
The devs do take a recommendations for the chat filter -- you might get farther by pming them.
It's a good thing you weren't around for that brief period where if you got censored, the system automatically reported you and after three warnings you were muted for a specific time period. People were getting muted for saying things like "Cru** *the Keeper." Was a bit funny (only In restrospect -- was a royal pain when it was actually happening).

So yeah, if you have recommendations for the chat filter, send a pm to a dev. Can't promise they'll take all your ideas, but you may get farther than discussing it here.

And sorry you're getting so much flack for your original post. I dunno why people are giving you such a hard time when there are always dating advice threads in off-topic and no one ever complains about those.

Xavrod
02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
First of all, u can use gay as an insult and second, nobody cares!!

cynic
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
whats the big deal??? im hetro but im not gonna spread tha word on a forum for a game. (oh now i did ! well it was just an example)
When u wanna shout out the news ur gay go to a gay forum, i really dont care if ur hetro gay or whatever im just playing the game.

asommers
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
We didn't sit in a room trying to coming up with words, we downloaded the list from teh internetz. If you google "swear word list" or "bad word list", I'm sure you'll find plenty of resources. The list has been tweaked over time, with words/variations added and removed. If you have words that you think should be add/removed, let us know via PMs or support(at)spacetimestudios.com.

-ALS