PDA

View Full Version : Solution to the Forum Spam Problem

Dogma
01-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Find a way to limit new members to create only one thread every 12 or so hours up until their 10th post.

Madnex
01-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Not a bad idea. Would work for both spam-bots and forum spammers.

forumspammer
01-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Aw, thats gonna hurt my postings. Why me?

Serancha
01-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Aw, thats gonna hurt my postings. Why me?

Hehe poor spammer.

it doesn't happen that much, but if STS is worried about it, a simple question added to the registration form usually works. It can be as simple as "What colour is the sky?"

However, from my experience in this game, there actually will be people who can't figure out that the answer to that would be "blue".....and no, that is not a comment on anyone's english skills, it's just that there are a lot of deliberately obtuse folks out there.

Dogma
01-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Hehe poor spammer.

it doesn't happen that much, but if STS is worried about it, a simple question added to the registration form usually works. It can be as simple as "What colour is the sky?"

However, from my experience in this game, there actually will be people who can't figure out that the answer to that would be "blue".....and no, that is not a comment on anyone's english skills, it's just that there are a lot of deliberately obtuse folks out there.

There's already a math question on the registration page. And no, it doesnt happen too often, but currently some person is deliberately registering new accounts and spamming for some black magic vashikran love thing.

Spam bots are usually programmed to spam adverts by creating back-to-back threads. I havent seen any that spam on an already-created thread, so i'm assuming that enforcing a thread limit for new members would allow STS to catch a single spam thread before the damage is done and prevent any more from the same account.

This could also disinterest any human wishing to create a spambot, because they wouldnt be able to cause a ruckus. They spam threads for a reason because they make people feel like it's something worth investigating if its posted tens of times in a row.

This of course is a small fix to a bigger problem, as it wont permanently keep spammers from registering, but it'll keep the forums clean for the most part, so long as the mods catch on before the bot posts 10 threads.

epicrrr
01-05-2015, 12:15 AM
They just need to change their CAPTCHA method, no need to limit the amount of post but find a way to make it harder for bots to make account.

Schnitzel
01-05-2015, 12:41 AM
It can be as simple as "What colour is the sky?"

its a good suggestion, but a human (spammer) can get past this.
for example, the spammer could create an account, then let the bot start spamming.

Dogma
01-05-2015, 01:48 AM
They just need to change their CAPTCHA method, no need to limit the amount of post but find a way to make it harder for bots to make account.

Change how? And this prevents people from logging on and seeing the first 3½ pages full of spam. All of the bot spammers im seeing are all new users, so this suggestion would be beneficial.

Serancha
01-05-2015, 07:34 AM
its a good suggestion, but a human (spammer) can get past this.
for example, the spammer could create an account, then let the bot start spamming.

That is not how they work though. Why would a human waste their time when bots can gain access to thousands of sites without personal help? Humans need to be paid, bots don't. I have been providing admin and security services for numerous forums as well as non-forum sites for 10 years professionally and have no issues with bot spam.

A simple question / answer is enough. Just change it every 3 months and it works. But you do need to change it periodically or they will eventually come across the answer.

Remiem
01-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the suggestions! We sincerely apologize for the spam increase lately. We are working on new measures to keep those pesky scammers at bay. You will start seeing an improvement on that within the week.

Schnitzel
01-05-2015, 04:37 PM
That is not how they work though. Why would a human waste their time when bots can gain access to thousands of sites without personal help? Humans need to be paid, bots don't. I have been providing admin and security services for numerous forums as well as non-forum sites for 10 years professionally and have no issues with bot spam.

A simple question / answer is enough. Just change it every 3 months and it works. But you do need to change it periodically or they will eventually come across the answer.

then what if STS created a counter-bot, which when it detects a forum acc spamming what the spambot usually says, it sends the name to the mods, and bans that acc for X amount of time, so the mods/devs can see if that acc is a spambot.

(Disclaimer: I dunno how web-bots are created, I dunno if this is possible)

Serancha
01-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Email confirmation should be necessary too. Click the link in the email to activate your account. A lot of emails the bots use are false.

It's been a long time since I made my account here, so not sure if this is part of the setup or not.

Dogma
01-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Email confirmation should be necessary too. Click the link in the email to activate your account. A lot of emails the bots use are false.

It's been a long time since I made my account here, so not sure if this is part of the setup or not.

It is. They have a Captcha, a simple math question, and an email confirmation. So there has to be someone registering these accounts.

Rx8
01-06-2015, 03:20 AM
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the suggestions! We sincerely apologize for the spam increase lately. We are working on new measures to keep those pesky scammers at bay. You will start seeing an improvement on that within the week.

Hello there remiem,

There are different ways in which spamming can occur especially like these. Not saying in a negative way but i am trying to point out there are different ways how a person can get into the forums and spam.

My solutions are.

Simply have a look at the names. When the person is in the moderation queue dont add them unless u see their name is familiar. Also i believe a few methods on spotting if the person is a human. I do know that the question is 2 apples plus 5...blah blah blah and the answer is 7....the best solution, rather in my opinion is that u might as well change it to an image with letters and words in a distorted manner, this would cause the bot to get confused....and make sure it is not displayed as "test to check if you're a human" make it as "answer the question in 1 word" or in words...make up a few questions than 1 question not exceeding 5. Making the last question as a expectation question will totally puzzle the bot. The question could also be like "do u think that u will experience great adventure here in the forums? (Example question, lol.)"

Method 2

The same distorted image question....this time the image would be as distorted like this

Question is...what do u see in the image?

X , y , z , or an apple?

Method 3 (might be the best possible solutions that i use...)

This is my 3rd idea or method rather. Here at the forums install a security wall. I forgot the exact term actually so i apologize...the only thing in my head at that time was the windows firewall. Whwt can this do? Simple and easy. This system will keep...uhh...oh yeah monitoring every active account or forumer. Like Dyknow in school. The bot has the codes which will detect the love spammer haha. Black magic....since they have a HABIT of always putting their phone numbers and love babaji -.- the bot will immidiately first have a look if it is the spammer. It first monitors the forumers posting and then if it finds out that X being a variable), reaches the suspicious limits. The firewall or lets say that the system Immidiately issues a ban and then sends an alert to the mods as well as devs about this. Then the mods and devs review the threads and information and then ban them.

To be updated later...

Best wishes,

Rx8

IApprove
01-06-2015, 05:26 AM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

Xeusx
01-06-2015, 05:49 AM
It is. They have a Captcha, a simple math question, and an email confirmation. So there has to be someone registering these accounts.
I think someone registering these accounts before activate the spam bot, I've seen these location and it made from someone.

Zylx
01-06-2015, 03:12 PM
When i created my Title forum account last weekend, i noticed that any thread i started had to be approved by a mod.

Rx8
01-07-2015, 03:17 AM
When i created my Title forum account last weekend, i noticed that any thread i started had to be approved by a mod.

Any thread or post both have to be approved by a mod. Doubt of spamming.?

Xeusx
01-07-2015, 03:43 AM
SO that's how you can be unbanned.

Strange.

EDIT: The first post of my 4k posts. :p

Rx8
01-07-2015, 03:45 AM
SO that's how you can be unbanned.

Strange.

EDIT: The first post of my 4k posts. :p

I realised that my short posts didnt reqjuire approval but the long post above....required approval...posts like hi and all dat didnt require approval either...

PS congratulations on your 4k post

Zylx
01-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Remiem said they were making modifications this week on what new members can do, so it must be new :D