PDA

View Full Version : So sad: PL has just 4 areas

Fyrce
02-25-2011, 08:03 AM
I have been asking lowbies in BS why they are there, since they die all the time, can't hit anything, can't use anything in the area, and don't make any friends. I was particularly interested in those people who barely know PL, asking such things are what are drops, which skills to have, how to play. I was even asking whether they'd tried out other "areas."

So in my quest to discover the reason all the lowbies were playing in BS, I finally received an answer to my question.

A level 29 finally said: It's because BS is the only area he can get xp.

It took me a second but I finally got it:
Forest Haven -- of course, L1-13;
Dark Forest -- of course; L11-18;
Balefort -- of course, L15-23 + CS;
and Balefort Sewers -- of course, L20+.

Call me dense. There you go: 4 areas.

Now I feel really bad for thinking these lowbies did not belong in BS. I mean, they have to level somewhere, right? And BS is the only place they can get xp.

Look how hard these lowbies have it: all that dying, all the cursing, the amazingly low drops, and when there IS a drop, they can't use it. And of course, their ignore lists are probably longer than their friends lists.

I was so clueless. I therefore vow to be more understanding. I hope others will follow my example.

(Hrm.)

KingFu
02-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Uhmm, what? I read this thread twice and it doesn't seem to make sense. You can gain XP on any stage as long as you are with in the level range and don have XP disabled. There isn't one good reason why low levels should be in BS, they think they're getting the most XP, when really the most XP without an elixir is 3 per kill, which is what a level 12 would get in BS, or in AO1.

Fyrce
02-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Sarcasm, Myst :P

No wait, I mean, I was completely serious! Yes, that's it. I was completely serious! And I'm nice! I swear!

Doubletime
02-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Doh -- saw you were being sarcastic. lol.

KingFu
02-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Sarcasm + Internets = Confusion :p

RedRyder
02-25-2011, 08:46 AM
I knew you were being sarcastic lol :p you've been here long enough to not be this ignorant

Lesrider
02-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Hmm... Is it possible people are confused and thinking BS is next in line? Like... They look at the map and it's close by, so they buy it thinking it's the obvious next place to go?
Does it say on the purchase page what lvl it's for? If it does, they don't really have an excuse unless they don't know how to read... But if they're chatting, they clearly do ;)

Snakespeare
02-25-2011, 08:51 AM
The OP is right! The ooze creatures in the goblin's lair that you get to via Wyldwood Forest are a clue telling people where their next level is, AND the icons on the world map are together.

Fathom... I guess that comes after Dark Forest and is followed by Skeller Returns, right? It is logical.

wolfendragon
02-25-2011, 09:07 AM
When you buy campaigns it clearly states lv range bs is 50-55 when I bought it and its near the end so there shouldn't be any confusion on which to buy. When I was able to I bought all of them even skeller and this is before bs and I still went area by area. Only times I didn't was basically suicide solo run to see how fast it took me to die so I knew where my char stood in it.

kopi
02-25-2011, 09:18 AM
If this carry on, PL is gona lose many new players. These guys will think that PL high lv players are so mean, that wouldnt play with them. I have a example, one of friend wanted ome of his friend to play so from the start be power levelled him. He introduced his friend to me asking me to add and guide him. When i talked to him, he told me that he 'has to play with higher lv players to lv'. OMG, when my friend asked me to guide his friend is actually wanting me to let him leech. Hes been giving him the wrong info. Fine, i tried to teach him what he should do for his lv, which map to go, and two weeks later, i dont see him online any more. Leechers will not stay, my conclusion.

ghostface
02-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Sarcasm, Myst :P

No wait, I mean, I was completely serious! Yes, that's it. I was completely serious! And I'm nice! I swear!

Shoulda used the sarcasm font......

Kujen
02-25-2011, 09:28 AM
They don't buy it because the map confuses them. It's because they're too cheap to buy other dungeons, too impatient to level correctly, because people tell them "hey you wanna save money and level up, buy this". When ao3 was the last dungeon they all went there, and it's on the far right side of the map.

I recently had a lvl 20-something ask me how to buy crush the keeper, and I just could not answer him. Im sory but people really should play in the correct dungeons, it bothers me so much that they can buy only the last dungeon and reach the level cap.

Beez
02-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Eh, I would say that people are skipping the maps because its way faster to just leach XP in Crush runs. If i could do it over, I wouldnt have bought the additional maps because my main is 55 and alt is 45. Go from FH to crush runs!!

Lesrider
02-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Eh, I would say that people are skipping the maps because its way faster to just leach XP in Crush runs. If i could do it over, I wouldnt have bought the additional maps because my main is 55 and alt is 45. Go from FH to crush runs!!

At least you admitted it.

I hope the plat for rings, etc isn't bc the devs are losing out on all these people buying only 1 map to get to 55...

Lesrider
02-25-2011, 10:47 AM
You know, maybe the best solution to all this would be some awesome prize for completing all quests? And yes, a new map added would mean that you need to do those new quests to get the prize if you don't have the prize already.

This would need to be something good enough to make people WANT to buy/use all the maps instead of only the last one.
If they choose to do otherwise, they miss out.

Or the devs can just make it so you can't gain xp in a map more than 5 lvls above you (as we've suggested several times).

Kujen
02-25-2011, 10:54 AM
The no-gaining xp is the best idea. An awesome reward for completing all quests is a great idea anyway, but it won't prevent this. People who leech in high levels don't seem to care about gear. I see lvl 30s and 40s still wearing gear that's below lvl 20.

Lesrider
02-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah I mentioned it as an option for positive reinforcement instead of negative. But I guess many of these people need negative reinforcement to change their behavior...

Kujen
02-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Negative reinforcement would be making them lose xp :p
I don't see how having to play in the correct levels is a negative thing. Maybe they'd make some friends and learn how to play without people yelling at them and booting them.

I do like the idea of a reward for all quests though. It would make me finish those snowball quests.

StompArtist
02-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Disable XP for levels 5 above current level would work. :D

(Check out my new sig!)

Lesrider
02-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Well I just mean... The devs may not want to punish people for not buying the correct maps, so they're afraid to block xp for them? I dunno... If I were getting paid for each map that's bought, I would want people to buy them in order, not just the last one!

Lesrider
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Disable XP for levels 5 above current level would work. :D

(Check out my new sig!)

Lol I can't tell if you're asking for a rev or casting the rev ;)
Cute squirrel, tho!

Kujen
02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
I suggested once that instead of no xp, they could receive a fraction of xp if they're in a map too high lvl for them. That way they can still level there, but it would be incredibly slow and they would level much faster in the correct maps.

No xp seems the most simple idea though.

JemNI
02-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Just make it no XP. Or don't even let them go enter those maps. But letting them enter but not gain XP seems nicest. They could still collect drops way above their level if they REALLY want to and die fast because that's oh so fun. But I bet SS would sell more maps if they forced people to level in the proper place. AND, it seems like a trivial thing to enable on their side. They already disable XP for high level players in low dungeons, so they have the capability.

Me, I'm at level 30something and I haven't even entered Alien Oasis yet. Gotta learn to run before you can fly.

Snakespeare
02-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I agree. Half XP until you are within three levels of the lowest drop. For instance, the lowest drop in AO1 is 36, so half xp there until you are level 33. Since the actual threat is red and the xp gain is blue, I suggest a purple bubble. Also, you know that irritating exclamation mark that appears when you are not gaining xp? It should be there in the way for them, too. When tapped it could say "xp is reduced until character is high enough level for this map".

Norbert
02-25-2011, 12:26 PM
I admit that when I was first playing I went left to right through the areas. There weren't levels on the map at that point and it worked fine except that when I hit glumdoll I was too high level for it. I also felt a lot of pain in LE for a while. Otherwise they were in order. Now I think they really aren't though and with the levels marked on there, it should be pretty clear. However, I could see some people still missing the rest of the world out there. Or thinking that Balefort -> Balefort Sewers would be a logical progression.

drewcapu
02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
It's not just the xp.

People need to be prevented from buying only the BS campaign

See:
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?19972-Campaign-requirements-before-purchasing

Some might be buying just BS on purpose. Some might be only buying BS because it sounds/looks like the next one to get on the map, despite the order it appears in the create game screens.

Snakespeare
02-25-2011, 01:31 PM
There was an actual statement, I am told, by STS saying that there would be no level limitation for the purchase of maps. I wasn't there and don't have the source, but it was supposedly G who said it. This idea has a lot of agreement among the players, but the devs don't appear to want it.

Tengotengo
02-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Next time a 20 something asks for leeching or help in BS, look for vanity stuff. I wouldn't help anyone that low, but there's a lot of players fully willing to by plat weapon packages, hats, faces, etc before buying levels. The Devs are making money either way, and probably a little more once the leech gets rejected so many times that they ALSO buy the campaigns.

Just stick to the policy of disabling low XP adders and ignoring leechers. I sort of wish we could boot them from Balefort with enough votes.

I just feel sorry for all those Yetis and Crocs who're all alone with nobody to pummel.

StompArtist
02-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes. I remember seeing something like that as well.

Fyrce
02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I really like the "no xp if you're some levels below the level of the area" idea. It would get rid of the "PL only has 4 areas" problem.

Everyone can walk around in areas but these people really won't be anywhere where they cannot get xp. They just seem to think they have to be in BS to level, that's all.

Almost all these people have really bad gear and no vanity items. If you see a lowbie with a vanity item, it's probably me dropping my low level in town for crafting :P

Leechers seem set up to NOT like this game. 1 week and they're done. They've only seen 4 areas, so the game is VERY small for them. If they go to another area (they probably won't if they're cheap, right?), they won't enjoy it because they'll be way too high level for it all and when you blast through an area, generally it's a yawn.

They think the game is unfriendly, what with all the unfriendlies in BS; they won't make any friends because almost no one will friend someone who is an obvious hindrance to a group. Since I have the most fun in this game playing WITH others, these leechers are missing most of this game.

They think the game is too hard, what with all the deaths in BS.

They wonder why all equipment is purchased or rather, there is NO equipment for them because BS barely drops anything. Which, BTW, explains why some people ask whether there are drops at all: It's because they have never experienced any or hardly any. Forest haven: hardly any drops. Dark Forest: hardly any drops. Balefort: not many drops. BS: hardly any drops. Conclusion: mobs don't really drop anything.

So after a few levels, what do they think? That the game is boring and people here are mean.

As I said: Sad.

kopi
02-25-2011, 03:10 PM
The no-gaining xp is the best idea. An awesome reward for completing all quests is a great idea anyway, but it won't prevent this. People who leech in high levels don't seem to care about gear. I see lvl 30s and 40s still wearing gear that's below lvl 20.

of cus they dun bother with their gears, they are there to leech! not to help

just now i hidout a 37 joined (open map) and he was there hello hello hello. i replied him wrong place for him. he told me what's wrong? i'm french....i told him he should be in swamp or Ao1 but i kept seeing him joining BS games