PDA

View Full Version : Passwords in parties

Huzurpapa
02-28-2011, 03:49 PM
It seems like no one uses the password function in parties. They just kick people until the group is who they want. This is a waste of time for everyone.

What if kicking someone required a real reason and it took a couple seconds to kick someone. Then players might be more likely to use the much more courteous password function to create their groups.

Atila the nun
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
I think that the cause of the problem is that the password doesn't work as expected. Instead of prompting people for the password, anyone can join if they are on *anyone's* friends list that is already in the dungeon. That results in random people joining and someone has to boot them. There's really no less effort to clean out a password protected instance as an open instance. I would encourage the developers to fix the password protection problem. When an instance is protected with a password, in order to enter, a player has to know the password. alternatively the host could invite them and they wouldn't need a password, which would be a slick feature.

vraizard
02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
I havent experienced that yet. I havent seen a person get booted.... If they boot someone, then what you should do is LEAVE, don't stay with someone that all he cares is the best party, instead just leave cause he's not worth it! Second of all, If you get booted, then dont mind it... cause you're better than that person, and again I said that the reason the person booted you is because he wants a good party, well he's wrong cause He need YOU to have a good party. If you think about that then you will always have a positive gaming experience. Think positive everytime!

Add me
Zonekiller - Level 33 warrior FTW

Ellyidol
02-28-2011, 04:51 PM
anyone can join if they are on *anyone's* friends list that is already in the dungeon.

Which is why you don't add people you don't know.

People in your list should be your friends, and your friends should know how to behave.

A simple "We're full, sorry" to them should be enough for them to just leave.

I don't want be prompted for a password everytime I join a game through friend list, such a waste of time.

Snakespeare
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Hello, Huzurpapa! Wow, you've been here since October but this is your first post. This issue must have really upset you.

Well, try not to be upset. It's one of those things you can't take too seriously. Booting now requires a reason, but some people just boot with the letter a. I've been in parties where we are full and we just remade but one person had to clear enough inventory to join the new game and four different people tried to join while that one player was clearing inventory. Well, you know, they joined uninvited and they got booted. It wasn't personal. There was no reason why they should have expected to run with a full party.

They have installed a checkbox now that constrains the joinees to the appropriate level for the map. We had to plead for a long time to get that. It's not likely that they will improve the reason-for-boot field further. It would be nice to have some things, like if you are seeking a mage you could throw a switch, then a mage would feel welcome.

A password makes it so only friends can join. It's true that it would be nicer for private parties to use passwords, but they really don't, and they have free will, so what can you do?

Mainly, try not to let it bug you. Make friends with the people you like to run with, and eventually you will be the one booting the others. Then you can try to set an example of how to boot in a courteous way.

I was soloing recently in a locked map and someone from my friends list joined. I explained that he was too high level, that I was trying to get lower level items and he was making the drops higher level. I explained that gold drops are better for solo players. And he said "what do you want me to do?" Then he proceeded to go after a mini-boss. I booted him and he removed himself as my friend after telling me how rude I am.

What can I say? No matter how nicely you do it, someone always takes it personally.

Just remember who booted you and never join their games again.

Huzurpapa
02-28-2011, 09:35 PM
These are all good comments. I didn't know the password was bugged. I don't take it as personal when I get booted, I just view it as a waste of my time and the person who booted me. If the password worked then anyone could make an instance for a select group without having to waste someone else's time.

Ellyidol
02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Just remember who booted you and never join their games again.

I can't stress this enough too. I've refrained from joining games when I can remember the name, even if he's not host, all the way back to Ao2 when I started.

CowboyJim
03-02-2011, 10:02 AM
I agree with Elly about being more choosy with your friend list. I typically only friend someone I've made a few runs with and they know how to play and are good people......It takes a while, but you end up with a good list of people you can run with who are courteous and play the game properly. If you just randomly jump into a group, you never know what you're getting into. I always ask as soon as I join a group if it's ok for me to stay. Even if I'm joining from my friends list. If they say no, I leave. no hard feelings. If they say yes, I stay and play and maybe make some new friends.....

Doubletime
03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
I agree with Elly about being more choosy with your friend list. I typically only friend someone I've made a few runs with and they know how to play and are good people......It takes a while, but you end up with a good list of people you can run with who are courteous and play the game properly. If you just randomly jump into a group, you never know what you're getting into. I always ask as soon as I join a group if it's ok for me to stay. Even if I'm joining from my friends list. If they say no, I leave. no hard feelings. If they say yes, I stay and play and maybe make some new friends.....

I completely agree about narrowing your friend list and it is something I need to do myself. I looked today because of another post and I probably have 250 friends. It really needs to be narrowed down to about the 50 I play with on a weekly basis -- because these friends are the ones who do just as Jim mentions. Ask if they can join and understand if we are full. In fact, it isn't unusual for me to PM my closer friends to ask if I can join before ever trying to get in their game. When the friend lists work, the password works. The problems only really come up when you (or another party member) have one of these enormous friend lists with lots of people that you don't know. So I think the problem really lies with the players as opposed to the developers needing to make a fix for this.

Keohike
03-02-2011, 10:22 AM
i think the best solution is to change the password so that u have to telll the ppl u want to join and so even if they on ur frd list they cant join unless they type in the password. this will be the ideal solution no more needles boots :)

wvhills
03-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Let me say one other thing though. When I want to make a ton of gold I'll solo plasma pyramid. You get LOTS more gold when you're by yourself. I always put a password on the game but often times a friend will see me online and join the game uninvited. They usually see just me in there and think we need help so they invite their friends. Instead of being rude and booting people I'll just leave myself and start a new game all over again. It would be nice if the password really kept everyone out.