PDA

View Full Version : Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Otukura
03-01-2011, 12:28 AM
So, my nexus one just got the alert that it's ready to download to mine.. awesome. BUT will PL run? Has anyone tried it? (non-rooted, ofc)

Thanks in advance!!

Sanatorium
03-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes, Pocket Legends will run on anything 2.0 or 2.1 and higher I believe.

adwin
03-01-2011, 04:39 PM
@Otukura: I play PL on a gingerbread HTC Desire HD and everything runs just fine (except for some soundfx disappearing like Gurg's growl) after a while.

junionwoon
03-01-2011, 10:30 PM
been on 2.3 (Villian ROM) for HTC Desire for a few weeks now ... everything running fine ...

beware of the "Words with friends" app though, it has been hogging my network performance badly .. playing PL was a torture with over 1k ping ... back to normal right after i uninstalled the app ..

cheers.

Otukura
03-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies, but when I just installed 2.3 PL can't even start up. It forcce closes... luckily, because I've been using a dev phone, I've been able to hack it to tri boot, so I can run 2.1/2.2/2.3 at my choice. I just don't like having to restart for PL. I'll see what I can do to fix it, but until then, 2.2 it is.

adwin
03-04-2011, 04:52 AM
@Otukura:
could you post a logcat of PL launching and crashing? Do any other opengl games crash? Try running Dungeon Defenders, if you have it.
It's 1 of 2 things: the nexus 1 has 512 MB RAM. Although it's quite a lot for a phone and although it might be enough for froyo (2.2), it might not be enough in order to run PL on top of 2.3 (there have been a few additions, like a SIP stack).
OR
it's an issue with opengl -> testing another opengl game should confirm that.

IF it's a RAM issue, you could get around it. Since you seem to know your way around a dev phone, or at least the rooted part, you can create a swap file on one of the partitions (I'd recommend cache, unless you have a fast sdcard)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/cache/swap.img bs=4096 count=65000 ; mkswap /cache/swap.img ; swapon /cache/swap.img

do this in an adb shell (assuming you have a custom compiled kernel with swap support AND swap userspace tools via busybox)

Run PL once more and let me know.
;]

Otukura
03-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Well...got it running...but ingame it disconnects me every 40 secs to 4 mins... no warning. I'm losing so much b/c of pots...they reset. I seem to die right before the boss dies also...getting no more drops. Instead of having my ping go up 1000+ I think it now just d/c s me.... ugh...might be the end of pl... not going to restart everytime...then restart again.

adwin
03-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Well, you could just flash back to froyo and be happy once more. ;]
Do you NEED gingerbread?

Otukura
03-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Yes...I can only make call from my 'Main' boot partition. I think ill still see if I can get it to run...

Otukura
03-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Actually...I guess I could flash it and wait for the 2.3 bugs to be fixed....you wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

adwin
03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
@Otukura:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=559

Take your pick. ;]

Otukura
03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Awesome... lol. I isolated the problem, finally. Whenever I get above 500 ping, d/c'd. Before my ping would just go up and I'd stay in game with a 20k+ ping. I think I'll look around for a few more fixes first. Love the new UI and it seems even faster.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for everything. You've done a lot here.