PDA

View Full Version : YADRT - Yet Another Drop Rates Thread

adwin
03-02-2011, 05:25 AM
There's something that I think needs clearing up and this is where your input might prove valuable.
I've been hacking at the Elite Dungeons today out of boredom (and to get the 2 quests done as well), and noticed the following:

- At first, our party consisted of 1 bear and a mix of mages/archers. That bear would get all, if not most of the pink drops.
- A second bear joins. He gets pink drops as well. Still nothing, or nearly nothing for other player classes.
- A third bear drops. The same happens as in the previous case.
Only once during that game was a lucky elixir used (by someone else, but it didn't work out anyway)

I was a bird and everybody was ~lv 50.
Unfortunately, I was busy playing and didn't think about jotting down when, which and to whom the pinks went. I also noticed that just as the bears would get the pinks, I would get the purps (and so would other birds).

Which leads me to a question/hypothesis which needs testing. Is there some secret modifier for WHO gets pink drops? In my whole experience, I noticed that in general, bears would be more "lucky" than other classes.

How to test it and contribute?
If you're bored, form a party, and it has to stay constant for the whole duration. You also have to do it on the same map.
Do 10 runs with setup "Xm" - 1 mage, 1 bear, and 3 archers
Do 10 more runs with setup "Ym" - 1 mage, 2 bears, and 2 archers
10 runs with setup "Zm" - 1 mage, 3 bears, and 1 archer

next do the following:
Do 10 runs with setup "Xb" - 1 bear, 1 mage, and 3 archers
Do 10 more runs with setup "Yb" - 1 bear, 2 mages, and 2 archers
10 runs with setup "Zb" - 1 bear, 3 mages, and 1 archer

and finally:
Do 10 runs with setup "Xa" - 1 archer, 1 bear, and 3 mages
Do 10 more runs with setup "Ya" - 1 archer, 2 bears, and 2 mages
10 runs with setup "Za" - 1 archer, 3 bears, and 1 mage

I recommend to test this in areas other than the sewers, where pink drop rates are really low.
Plasma Pyramid would work fine, as would Victory Lap. Note every drop from purp upwards.

Create a spreadsheet and jott down these values. In a column, write down the runs from 1..10
In rows, the setups, Xa, Xb, Xm and each cell would be multivalue (comma delimited).

Pink drops are *supposed* to be random, but I don't believe it. In order to account for another factor, the work will have to be doubled.
1 set of runs has to be done when there is a low number of users online (sets Xa_l, Xb_l, Xm_l) and another complete set, when there is a high number of users online (Xa_h, Xb_h, Xc_h), where high user base = 2500 - 3000 and low user count = 1000 - 1500.

Last but not least, archer, bear and mage = PURE builds. No hybrids.

Once we get this data, we can make know for sure if the devs have been naughty with the bears. ;]

thugimmortal
03-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Well if bears are lucky my poor bear is the unluckiest bear then lol. ive only ever had one pink drop in the sewers and not seen a pink in the caves since the nerf. nah no class is any more lucky than the other.

Riccits
03-02-2011, 05:59 AM
The fairest solution is the one we have, drops are random.

-ALS

/10 charsssss

adwin
03-02-2011, 06:09 AM
That's what I thought as well, and I don't find any reason why any 1 class would be more provileged by others (even if this proves to be right, it might be affected by a set of factors, "unintentionally"), but the "evidence" is quite screaming to be proved, right or wrong lol.
My last runs were the once which convinced me, but I have been noticing this tendency for quite a while now. I just want to be sure. ;]

As I have already mentioned, don't count the sewers (nor the shadow caves for that matter), since the drop rates are quite specific there.

On a side note, your bear is DEX. I have edited my post accordingly.

adwin
03-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Well if bears are lucky my poor bear is the unluckiest bear then lol. ive only ever had one pink drop in the sewers and not seen a pink in the caves since the nerf. nah no class is any more lucky than the other.

@thug: I've had 3 pink drops in the sewers, and I've done quite some runs there. As a matter of fact, most of my 50-55 journey was done in the sewers.

@Riccits: If what asommers' statement is true, "why is this happening to me"? lol
end of quote
I wouldn't make a thread on a whim. This is a tendency, which is why I posted about it.

Royce
03-02-2011, 07:44 AM
@Riccits: If what asommers' statement is true, "why is this happening to me"? lol
end of quote

Because it's random, and you had a bad run of luck. With pinks being fairly rare, you need to do many, many runs to see things even out, but most people just see a few drops go a particular way and think they've found a pattern when in fact it's merely stochasticity.

Riccits
03-02-2011, 07:53 AM
i hear so many whine about birds get all drops, mage never get drops... etc.... these are all (pocket) legends!
and there are still ppl thinking about that soloing a boss improves luck...

i dunno the exactly system behind, but everyone in a party roll for hisselfs drop! when a member of ur party got a drop, he didnt stole it from u, he only was lucky and u not... no need to hate him LOL!
its even possible in a party that all get the same pink drop, its only improvable that happens so...

its like when u droping a coin, u can have always the same side and never the other side, even the probability is 50-50. it doesnt matter who u are, what u wear or whos near u... and in PL its same.

Snakespeare
03-02-2011, 08:51 AM
It's true about the elasticity. People can stretch the puzzle pieces about until they fit together.

krazii
03-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Bears should get all the pinks, they do all the work! Muhahahahaha, flame away!

Kraz

KingFu
03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
It's 100% random. Think of it like this. There's a dice, in the game, in which you don't see. There are X sides to this dice, and each side represents an item. Every time you kill a boss (given you get loot) the in game dice rolls, and whatever side it lands on, you get the loot that the side it landed on represents.

It's all random, it isn't planned, it doesn't matter how much work you do, what class you are. The only thing can can improve your chances of getting a pink are lucky elixirs, other than that, everyone else has the same odds.

I've heard many crazy theories about rates since I've been on the forums. I've heard everything from if you're a Mage you get more pinks to, if you shake your iPod upside down before the boss dies you'll get a pink. If any of this does work for you, it is nothing more than a coincidence, since devs have said, loot is random, and it appears to be random as well.

Riccits
03-02-2011, 10:00 AM
if you shake your ipod upside down before the boss dies you'll get a pink.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedRyder
03-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Well guess what? I'm almost 55 and I've gotten NO pink drops or been in a party where one dropped and you've gotten 3 and making threads about the drop rate. What's wrong with this picture?

Riccits
03-02-2011, 10:17 AM
in average we are all at the same point from 50-55 not more than 1- max. 2 pinks.

RedRyder
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
if you charge in ahead of your team and yell out LEROYYYYYYYY JENKINSSSSSS with exactly that same fizture of letters, WITHOUT using an auto phrase trigger, you will always ALWAYS get a pink drop. you caught us, great detective work sir.

adwin
03-02-2011, 02:03 PM
@Royce: I know it is random, but I was seeing a pattern for a long time, which I just wanted to test. No paranoia, nothing.
I'm just the analytical type, and if there's a pattern out there, I want to see the numbers, that's all. ;]
I hope that settled it.
And no, no whining or anything of that sort. Except for the analytical stuff, I don't care about it. I play for fun, I rarely trade, and I most of the time give away pinks, unless I need gold for pots or other equipment.

Bears should get all the pinks, they do all the work! Muhahahahaha, flame away!

Kraz

And that's where you're wrong. ;]
Although I'm not the suicidal type, and despite the fact that I'm a pure dex bird, I'm the one usually rushing into action (unless we have a good bear in our team).
For example, yesterday I was hacking at the frozen elite dungeons to get started on the 1000 quests (it never bothered me to do it before), and there were even 2 bears in our party (lv5x), but for the major part, I had to do the tanking...

Off topic for a while: I'm seeing more and more players at high levels (~50), who don't know anything or little about their role or strategy.
The aforementioned would be a very good example, or better still, mages who prefer showing off their dps instead of taking care of healing, especially in high level dungeons like shadows.
I was really surprised (positively) yesterday, when I asked a player (lv51 mage) to take care of the healing, and she replied:
"yeah np. I'll be on healing duty, as usual".

Well then, since you all prefer jumping to conclusions instead of satisfying the curiosity, let's close the thread. I'll get back to it once I find a good, stable team.

Sigkill
03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Bears are somehow very lucky >_>, because the bear in my party joined for one run and got a sewer king bow from gold fever

Moogerfooger
03-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Bears are somehow very lucky >_>, because the bear in my party joined for one run and got a sewer king bow from gold fever

That was my bear...and it was totally random luck. But I had very rarely ever gotten pink drops with my bear before that point.

rocket
03-02-2011, 04:02 PM
mages who prefer showing off their dps instead of taking care of healing[/B], especially in high level dungeons like shadows.
I was really surprised (positively) yesterday, when I asked a player (lv51 mage) to take care of the healing, and she replied:
"yeah np. I'll be on healing duty, as usual".

Most good mages can do both. Heal has a 3 second cool down, so you cannot constantly "spam it" and 3 seconds is more then enough time to let loose a bunch of other spells.

Back on topic. I have seen two pinks drop twice, once on Goldfever and once on Cockroach. Neither time did the drops go to the bear in the group. Sommers says it is random and I believe him. I just wish I knew what the actual drop rates were.

Snakespeare
03-02-2011, 04:42 PM
A bird should not attempt to tank. All you'll get is a high death rate. Our job is DPS. Even a strong bird isn't as good a tank as a bear, because they can beckon into corners or walls. We really should let them go first whenever possible. And if they don't, someone needs to explain it to them. "You, bear, are a tank. You job is not to DO damage, it is to TAKE damage. Now, go stand in the corner... and beckon!" LOL!

Zerious
03-02-2011, 04:46 PM
A bird should not attempt to tank. All you'll get is a high death rate. Our job is DPS. Even a strong bird isn't as good a tank as a bear, because they can beckon into corners or walls. We really should let them go first whenever possible. And if they don't, someone needs to explain it to them. "You, bear, are a tank. You job is not to DO damage, it is to TAKE damage. Now, go stand in the corner... and beckon!" LOL!

said like a true pimp XD

IHATEPUPPYS
03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Bears do all the work, I hardly doubt that. Most bears I c now don't even do there job tanking.

IHATEPUPPYS
03-02-2011, 05:17 PM
@snakesphere .. my birds better at tanking thn most bears out there ..

Zerious
03-02-2011, 05:17 PM
This thread is telling me "LEVEL BIGDADDY LEVEL BIGDADDY!!"

Moogerfooger
03-02-2011, 05:28 PM
@snakesphere .. my birds better at tanking thn most bears out there ..

You can't 'tank' with a bird like you can with a bear, unless they have invented the magical mystical Avianbeckontaunt skill when we weren't looking. Even with a Sentinel Talon/Wing set and a defense ring, your armor will still be lower than a bear wearing a Cyber set.

Granted, if the bear is not doing his job, you are right...a Talon/Wing bird can absorb decent damage :D

adwin
03-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Exactly my point with respect to "tanking". A high death rate is also true, but I prefer starting the gameplay, than waiting for someone to make a move.
I don't have a stable team, and my good 53+ friends are in different timezones, which is why I most of the time join public instances.
I can count on my fingers, how many good, high level bears I've played with.
You're here to play, not be a sissy. If you're a bear, know your job. The same goes for other roles as well.
Which doesn't mean that a bird should thoughtlessly "leeroy jenkins"...