PDA

View Full Version : Low levels in high area

Caire-boo
03-03-2011, 12:44 PM
There have always been low levels in AO3 trying to level faster but with the introduction of Balefort Sewers, this is getting to be a serious problem, and it's something that is in danger of ruining the game for me. My main is a Mage, have 3 50+ but play my (currently 55) pally/Mage most often.

If you are a lower level desperate to get to 55/56 and reading this, hopefully I can explain to you why running Balefort Sewers isn't the best way to go.

1: Levelling and questing is, in many ways, the best part of the game. If you miss playing in all the level specific areas, you miss out on hours of great content.

2: As you level, you make friends who will stay with you later on. These relationships develop best as you help each other and work together to achieve higher levels.

3: You will not only save money, but make money. If you quest in level specific areas, you will get drops applicable to your needs. Any drops you get that you don't need you can either give to other classes you have made friends with while levelling or you can sell them in the Balefort keep auction house.

4: Contrary to what you may think, you are not levelling faster. In the time it takes you to find a group that won't kick you, you could have gained far more experience in your level specific area. Even if you find a high level player willing to boost you, the gain in xp is not as high as one may think.

5: It's no fun. Surely it's much more fun to be part of a team who have worked together than to have to stay out the way in case you get killed. Even if you do join in, you are not having any useful impact.

6: This may not matter to you but I feel proud when I gain a new level because I've worked towards it. What is the satisfaction in gaining a level when you did none of the work? Do the work yourself - you will really feel good.

7: You are taking up a spot that could be filled by someone level specific. Lots of BS groups are doing the long 55-56 slog and there is no way to cheat that. All we can do is use level pots. To get our money's worth we want to slice our way through as many mobs as possible. A full 50+ group is the only way to be efficient.

8: As a Mage doing aforementioned 55-56 slog, I am sick of constantly running back to low level players taken out by the grates who lie there screaming res and offer no word of thanks. In the mean time the rest of the group has moved miles ahead. I have just lost out on shed loads of xp and wasted another xp pot.

9: Just because you have already got a high level character doesn't mean it's OK to power level. All classes need to be played to be learned, but this is particularly true for mages and bears. In my opinion the new swathe of bears who don't know when not to stomp and mages who don't know when not to use lightening is almost a direct result of power levellers. No matter how much you read or how many MMORPGs you've played, you need to learn your class. The only way to do that....level properly, as part of a group.

10: 45-50 (ideally 52) is fastest achieved by running Crush the Keeper. The xp is better there. Until you have level 50 gear, you cannot survive the sewers, and parts of the new area I wouldn't attempt til 53. If you do, just remember you are holding the Mage up who has to come back to res you so be polite.

11: Tactics. Now this is a tough one cos lots of higher levels don't know the tactics. Often though a high level leaves before boss without checking if the rest of the group are going to run it (very rude imo but that's another topic). This leaves space for a lowbie to sneak in. If we are already on boss the leader often won't bother to kick you. Twice yesterday I was in Balefort Hideout on Goldie and a low level (in the 20s) managed to make it past the grates. Unfortunately they didn't realise that they had caught his disease and just stood there passing it on to everyone and wiped out 3 people. This happened repeatedly and they just stood their oblivious to the fact that they should run from group if diseased. In the end one by one the high levels bailed mid fight (again rude but off topic).

12. This is becoming such a problem that even high level groups are sometimes checking other players quest logs as it's a pretty good indication of what sort of player you will be. If you haven't done many quests you have probably power levelled, and as a result won't know your class.

I really hope that by reading all this some of you will understand that not only can you level just as fast, if not faster, by levelling properly but you will make friends and have fun while not ruining the game for others.

Moogerfooger
03-03-2011, 12:49 PM
This is why I almost always host my own games and check the "minimum level required" box, or whatever it is exactly called.

Good points overall.

Caire-boo
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes I do host my own games but not every time, and this is a big issue in the game at the moment that I wanted to address.
Good point though, thank you.

wvhills
03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
don't res the lower level guys, just keep on going. Btw, I don't think quest logs tell if a player has been power leveled. I haven't been and I just don't do the quests. :) I've done some and will do the cyber void ones when I get a chance but I only done half the balefort and one or two of the swamps.

Royce
03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
This has always been an issue, it was the same at least as far back as the 35 cap, when people would make threads just like this about low levels in a "high" level 30-35 dungeon. What is different now is that we actually have a way to prevent this. Host games yourself, and check minimum level required. Because if this, I would say it's actually a smaller problem than it has ever been. I have no problem with trying to inform new players of why BS isn't the best place for their low level characters, but it's pretty significant that the devs have finally given us a way to prevent this fom happening.

Caire-boo
03-03-2011, 01:19 PM
No the quest logs don't tell, I just said some people are using them as a guide but it's not infallible. As for not ressing them, it is often the case that more than one person has been taken out, especially by the grates or by gold fevers disease but otherwise you are right.

neko
03-03-2011, 01:20 PM
This has always been an issue, it was the same at least as far back as the 35 cap, when people would make threads just like this about low levels in a "high" level 30-35 dungeon. What is different now is that we actually have a way to prevent this. Host games yourself, and check minimum level required. Because if this, I would say it's actually a smaller problem than it has ever been. I have no problem with trying to inform new players of why BS isn't the best place for their low level characters, but it's pretty significant that the devs have finally given us a way to prevent this fom happening.

It's a good first step but not quite perfect. Lowbies from a player's friend list can still sneak in and that's the weak link I prefer the devs would patch up.

Royce
03-03-2011, 01:23 PM
It's a good first step but not quite perfect. Lowbies from a player's friend list can still sneak in and that's the weak link I prefer the devs would patch up.

Yes I agree and the same is a problem with password protected games. I'm hoping they are planning something for both those issues.

Caire-boo
03-03-2011, 01:26 PM
I know that hosting ones own game shields oneself from this issue. The point of this post is more aimed at explaining to the power levellers what they are missing, and/or how it affects the higher levels in whose games they join.

Zerious
03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
This post.... Deja vu.... Eh anyways...

4: Contrary to what you may think, you are not levelling faster. In the time it takes you to find a group that won't kick you, you could have gained far more experience in your level specific area. Even if you find a high level player willing to boost you, the gain in xp is not as high as one may think.

I agree with everything BUT this. If you're running through CTK with two pure int mages and a death birdy, that is one FAST run and some delicious exp. But the chances are they'll boot any lowbie who might slow them down... About the "single booster" idea, I halfway agree. It is actually faster, but not as fast as one might have made it out to be.

Physiologic
03-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Is there a reason for entering in a specific password in a password-protected game? Is there any way to type in this password anywhere or are you ensured you can get in if you're friends with that person?

Royce
03-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Is there a reason for entering in a specific password in a password-protected game? Is there any way to type in this password anywhere or are you ensured you can get in if you're friends with that person?

Both the password feature and minimum level required feature only block people from joining through the join game listing. You can enter any game, regardless of restrictions or password protection, by simply tapping join through your friend list.

Echelong
03-03-2011, 01:33 PM

I just use any random PW since anyone on your friends list can enter the game even if you checked the required level box any friend can enter no matter what.

Edit: Dang Royce you are truly fast...

kopi
03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
this wont help at all :) do u realise a lot of players i talked to dont know there's such a forum here and there's those who know dont bother to check this forum either...it's a headache issue. ya a lot of low 20-30 are taking advantage when u are on the boss, they sneaked in. i think they are smart to check the progress bar. these guys are not there for exp, they are pure leechers hoping to sneak thru and get some good loots

Caire-boo
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
If one person reads it and it helps them to understand the implications of entering a dungeon above their level then it is worth it.

adwin
03-03-2011, 03:36 PM
+1 on the whole post, but nethertheless, here's an anecdote:

I logged in for a few minutes today, and got an invite from someone I played with before.
The instance was Captive Audience, and all were in the 50-52 zone.
They were doing the shadow quest along with a boss run, and I told them about clearing the corridors first, not getting past the pillars etc.
Sure enough, the question fell: "why, what for"
To which I promptly replied, that they wouldn't want their booty kicked by the swarming aliens while taking care of a shadow. I didn't know the rest of the guys, which is why I couldn't state their skills. And sure enough, they were playing chaotically.
He then replied: "yeah, but we are all lvl 50 here"
to which I promptly replied: "a high level player doesn't necessarily mean that player is skilled. high level != skill"
I think I hurt his feelings, although this wasn't supposed to be directed at anyone (yet), but that's a point to argument the OP's points.

high level != skill

And the best way to get the skill is to play the game like it's supposed to be played. Learn the ropes, since at every level, you gain a specific weapon, which needs a certain strategy for playing with. AND that also affects your stats. speed, mana regen, health and so on. bows vs autobows vs talons vs stilettos, staffs vs wands, axes vs hammers vs spears and so on and so forth.
Quite often, a certain class of enemies requires you to use another set of equipment as well...

My whole rambling in this post is of course irrelevant if the said player is good at learning to swim if thrown in deep water from the beginning.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but these players are merely a fraction of the rest.