PDA

View Full Version : auto bow or recurve? which do you...

naptownblunt
03-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Im currently using a bagmans recurve and thinking.about saving for a better bow.. but just want some input on which weapon you perfer and why?

So.. which is it? Autobow or recurve and why? Lol

adwin
03-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Shamelessly copied from Phys' thread, but there you go:

Raid Roach's Gemstone Auto-Bow 143-188 Damage, 1.0 Speed, 12 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 10 Armor
Raid Roach's Gemstone Recurve 152-197 Damage, 0.9 Speed, 12 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 5 Armor [Blinding Shot proc]

the stats should really speak for themselves.
The auto bow is slower, deals less damage, but give you a meagre +5 armor more than recurve.
The latter on the other hand, gives you better damage, dps, is faster AND gives you a blinding shot proc. This is invaluable.
If you know someone who can lend you for a few runs, I'd say try out both and see which one suits you better.
The recurve would be my choice no matter what. You're a bird, a dps machine. Leave defense and the tanking to the bear of the party.
+5 armor can make a difference, but at that level, it would be quite rare. On the other hand, you will feel the additional dps, blind and speed in each shot you take.

Snakespeare
03-05-2011, 09:26 AM
I bought a bagman's auto-bow, too, but I use the drainer's recurve instead. The auto looks cool, but I'd rather have the DPS. As a bird, I consider it my job in any party to bring the DPS.

Nightarcher
03-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Adwin, you fail to mention the main reason why people use auto-bows especially in pvp.

The range. As well as a bit extra armor, they have the range of a Megablaster/Shotgun allowing you to deal damage over a longer distance. I go for the auto-bow instead of the recurve in pve as well :)

Moogerfooger
03-05-2011, 09:50 AM
It's six of one, half dozen of the other and comes down to personal preference. I won't speak for the PvP part as I rarely play it, so those points I'll assume are valid.

In the Sewers range is not a huge factor in most places...tight halls and corridors. I have run them extensively with a Shotgun, with a Crossbow, and a Recurve. Sure, there are areas where the extra range comes into play, but the blinding shot proc from Recurves helps mitigate that, or just hitting Blinding Shot as you approach a mob. So yes, Crossbow = more range, Recurve = more damage, and it all comes down to personal choice and how ya use it :D

Royce
03-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I just realized the crossbow has lower damage and slower speed than the recurve, not to mention the recurve has the proc. That just seems wrong. The crossbow should be faster.

KingFu
03-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Indeed it should, but I stick to auto if I use one. More range. I don't feel comfortable with the rnage of the rercurve, the auto lets me shoot from far out, which I find valuable. It's more so a factor of damage/dps vs range. Kinda like sunblessed vs blaster without sets.

FluffNStuff
03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I just realized the crossbow has lower damage and slower speed than the recurve, not to mention the recurve has the proc. That just seems wrong. The crossbow should be faster.

When they nerfed the crossbows, they really nerfed em! In AO3, I stuck with the blaster because well, it was a huge frickin gun and that was fun. I figured I would switch to the recurve in BS, and did so on my dex bear. But on my bird, the range for staying back further seems to be a big help, but I need to check my skills. If not all skills have the distance of the xbow, it might be a serious detriment. As for dex bear, it is a no brainer, since you will be wanting to get close eventually, plus you don't have blinding shot as a skill.

KingFu
03-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Heavy crossbows got nerfed to a speed of 1.3 or 1.4 (can't remember. Think it was 1.4). I believe they're the second slowest bow in the game (pumpkin chunker is slowest with 4.0 speed:p) which I don't think makes a load of sense, since they are crossbows.

Moogerfooger
03-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Have you ever tried loading a real crossbow? It's a freaking pain :p

KingFu
03-05-2011, 11:01 AM

This game isn't built around logic, if it was. Where the hell do avians get so many talons from?!

Also, its an AUTO crossbow, so it auto reloads. Duh;)

Moogerfooger
03-05-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't know about you, but I carry around my bag of 5,000 talons at all times :D

FluffNStuff
03-05-2011, 11:09 AM
i don't know about you, but i carry around my bag of 5,000 talons at all times :d

:D :D :D :D :D [lowercase letters]

Sigkill
03-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Shamelessly copied from Phys' thread, but there you go:

Raid Roach's Gemstone Auto-Bow 143-188 Damage, 1.0 Speed, 12 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 10 Armor
Raid Roach's Gemstone Recurve 152-197 Damage, 0.9 Speed, 12 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 5 Armor [Blinding Shot proc]

the stats should really speak for themselves.
The auto bow is slower, deals less damage, but give you a meagre +5 armor more than recurve.
The latter on the other hand, gives you better damage, dps, is faster AND gives you a blinding shot proc. This is invaluable.
If you know someone who can lend you for a few runs, I'd say try out both and see which one suits you better.
The recurve would be my choice no matter what. You're a bird, a dps machine. Leave defense and the tanking to the bear of the party.
+5 armor can make a difference, but at that level, it would be quite rare. On the other hand, you will feel the additional dps, blind and speed in each shot you take.

Auto Bow adds more skill damage, and gives a larger range, you aren't going to be using basic attacks all the time are we. Before you try to act like you know anything at all, at least take the time to look at all aspects

naptownblunt
03-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Adwin, you fail to mention the main reason why people use auto-bows especially in pvp.

The range. As well as a bit extra armor, they have the range of a Megablaster/Shotgun allowing you to deal damage over a longer distance. I go for the auto-bow instead of the recurve in pve as well :)

that is pretty much what i needed to know right on bro

BeefyMeat
03-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Auto Bow adds more skill damage, and gives a larger range, you aren't going to be using basic attacks all the time are we. Before you try to act like you know anything at all, at least take the time to look at all aspects

Super, has anyone tested that auto-bow gives more skill damage? If they have, do you know if they documented it on here, I'd love to take a look.

Aerospacegod
03-05-2011, 12:35 PM
What's the % of proc? Or do all weapons carry the same odds

Physiologic
03-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Super, has anyone tested that auto-bow gives more skill damage? If they have, do you know if they documented it on here, I'd love to take a look.

http://i56.tinypic.com/213i6pv.jpg
From here (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?20356-For-Archers-How-weapon-types-damages-affect-skill-damage).

When comparing the Bagman's Recurve vs Bagman's Auto-Bow:
Recurve has +9 more damage, and skill damage increase is 113-92 (skill damage: 316-340).
Auto-Bow has skill damage increase of 118-97 (skill damage: 312-336).

So the Recurve's +9 damage is offset by its incremental skill damage, which is only +4 skill damage over the Auto-Bow, even though the Auto-Bow has more incremental skill damage.

What's the % of proc? Or do all weapons carry the same odds

Might want to double-check on someone else on this figure but I think its 10%.

BeefyMeat
03-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Phys, So do you recommend auto or recurve for a 55 pink?

Royce
03-05-2011, 01:04 PM
So the recurve still gives higher skill damage, just not as much higher as the pure damage difference might lead you to expect. I still think the autobow should be faster...

Physiologic
03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Phys, So do you recommend auto or recurve for a 55 pink?

This would probably present the same as the Void vs Sentinel (pre-set bonuses) argument. They are different on paper, and on the field, you get the same exact results. I have no recommendation for either/or because on the field you won't be able to detect any significant difference between the two sets (except MAYBE better survivability with the Auto-Bow).

Personally, I like my numbers high in damage/DPS, so Recurve is my choice.

BeefyMeat
03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Just tried the Auto-Bow for the first time...Im a convert. I like that it does better skill damage, and I like that my base damage is a little lower to not pull aggro.

And the range and defense kinda rules.

Royce
03-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Just tried the Auto-Bow for the first time...Im a convert. I like that it does better skill damage, and I like that my base damage is a little lower to not pull aggro.

But wait. I don't have a side in this argument, but from what Phys said, it does less skill damage than the recurve right?

Ellyidol
03-05-2011, 07:37 PM
But wait. I don't have a side in this argument, but from what Phys said, it does less skill damage than the recurve right?

I believe so.

On my bear, a Henchman Recurve adds more skill damage than the Auto-Bow. Granted its on a bear, but it should work the same way on any other character.

I prefer a Recurve rather than an Auto-Bow on my bear. For birds, I'd probably switch between Recurve-PvE and Auto-Bow-PvP.

Physiologic
03-05-2011, 07:40 PM

What...you get a better increase in base skill damage with the Auto-Bow but less overall skill damage (shown in your skill window) because the Recurve adds +9 damage.

FluffNStuff
03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
This is worse then the argument that using hot water for ice cubes will cause them to freeze at a faster rate. Sure, it's true, but completely irrelevant ;)

Physiologic
03-05-2011, 08:51 PM
This is worse then the argument that using hot water for ice cubes will cause them to freeze at a faster rate. Sure, it's true, but completely irrelevant ;)

Hot water freezes ice cubes? Everything I learned in grade school was just thrown out the window.

Royce
03-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Hot water freezes ice cubes? Everything I learned in grade school was just thrown out the window.

In a freezer at a fixed temperature, hot water would lose heat at a faster rate than cooler water, but would still take longer overall to freeze since at some point it just becomes cool water ;)

Physiologic
03-05-2011, 09:00 PM
In a freezer at a fixed temperature, hot water would lose heat at a faster rate than cooler water, but would still take longer overall to freeze since at some point it just becomes cool water ;)

Ohh I thought he meant POURING hot water on ice cubes meant it would freeze them. Anyway, I am extremely bad at thermodynamics :)

adwin
03-05-2011, 11:17 PM

Reminds me of high school...
Even though the specific heat capacity is constant, hot water has a lower density than cooler water. Weaker hydrogen bonds etc.
;]

Conradin
03-05-2011, 11:46 PM

It's called an auto bow- witch the big bump on the autos in LE and sniper lvl 19 holds extra arrows to fire faster but yes regualar xbows are slow to reload

FluffNStuff
03-06-2011, 08:53 AM
It's called an auto bow- witch the big bump on the autos in LE and sniper lvl 19 holds extra arrows to fire faster but yes regualar xbows are slow to reload

LE and Frozen Nightmare XBows fire faster because they use hot water when they reload ;)

davidis57
03-06-2011, 09:52 AM
And the wheels on the bus go round and round.....Seriously I think the recurve might be the way to go. However, if you were farming swill all day the talon/shield would help you survive the fire traps better.

krazii
03-06-2011, 10:21 AM
The reason hot water "freezes" faster then cold water in a refrigerator (freezer compartment) is because when you place hot water in the freezer, it increases the overall temperature in the freezer which in turn activates the heat pump/condenser thus pumping cold air (actually removing the hot air from) into the freezer, the pump runs until the temperature in the freezer is lowered to it's static level. This generally does not happen when placing cold water in the freezer as it doesn't raise the temperature enough to activate the heat pump (as soon as hot water does) so the cold water takes longer to freeze. Try it and listen for your freezer to turn on.

As for the bow/auto-bow issue. Does anybody have a index or information regarding what all the different procs are. I hear and see various information about procs but don't have an index. What exactly does blinding shot do?

Placing cold water in the freezer does not raise the temperature enough to activate the heat pump.

Royce
03-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Blinding proc was the equivalent of rank 5 blinding shot (the archer skill), minus 25 hit% I believe (maybe higher, haven't been paying much attention to my Dex characters lately). Not sire if they bumped it up to equal rank 6 with the 55 gear or not.