PDA

View Full Version : Why Windows 8 is better than Windows 7.

Armourslash
02-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Now before I start, don't get annoyed at me for putting this up but these are indeed true reasons why 8 is better than 7. For those who know windows 7 but don't know windows 8, windows 8 is an OS continued of 7 released in 2012, 8.1 (latest) was released in 2013. And please this is especially for those New interface whiners who can't be bothered to get used to it as they are like "windows 8 sucks because there is no aero" or the most common one "windows 8 sucks becuase of the new start screen, I prefer the start menu"

Windows 8 wasn't great back when released as the start menu wasnt the best, there was no start button on the desktop and had certain issues, when 8.1 was released all of these problems were fixed (the start menu still exists.)anyway lets get started.

1. Better stability
This was one big advantage that windows 8 had over 7, it was MUCH more stable and performed better after doing a test, doesnt matter if you are using 7 basic theme or even classic theme windows 8's default theme will always be better even with the visual effects enabled.

2. Bugs in 7 that NEVER get fixed.

Now you all may think that 7 SP1 is perfect and it has no bugs, no security issues etc. But it isn't as one of the most common bugs that 7 has is the explorer refeshing bug. This is a bug that has persisted throughout every single version of Windows 7, and despite innumerable complaints, it isn’t fixed. Windows 7 launched in 2009, and it is now 2015 yet it remains unfixed, and inconsistent. I have lost track of how many times I have had to explain to clients that the reason why the file that they saved to the desktop/folder isn’t appearing is because it sometimes won’t refresh automatically and that they have to right click and hit refresh or press F5. Of course, F5 won’t work on Microsoft keyboards because you have to first press F-Lock to enable standard keyboard behavior.
Another annoying one is the taskbat position bug, this happened at one of my school computers where I locked my taskbar and right clicked on one of my programs and clicked back on the taskbar and it automatically moves to the top with the taskbar LOCKED. This is irritating and Microsoft have left this out.

3. Search feature

This is the main problem for me in windows 7. The search feature wont let me:
Force a search in a non-indexed, or partially indexed location. So, let’s say you just added a folder and want to do a quick search in Windows 7… you can’t, because the indexer hasn’t caught up, and you cannot force the indexer to start on command. So you’re screwed.
– Change the search path without first performing a search, and then scrolling to the very bottom of the search results. Who was the genius who designed this?
– Perform complex filters quickly. In 7, I have to use that awkward drop-down menu to manually select each filter, and then scroll back to the left to change my search parameters. This is incredibly cumbersome and unintuitive. Totally fails the grandma test. In Windows 8 I could just type in the name of my video and it would appear instantly.

4. Start Menu
Now please don't get mad at me for putting this up but it seems this menu wasn't designed at its best. As its not very customisable neither was there much you could do with it whereas in the start screen I can change the background, where tiles are arranged or create new groups of tiles.

Now you 7 users may like some things in 7 compared to 8 but these are TRUE reasons why you should switch to 8 instead. Update: giving proof that windoss 8' search feature is better than 7's soon.

5. Internet Explorer
Now this may not be a concern as you guys probably use different browserz like Google Chrome/Firefox/Opera. But comparing IE8 to IE7 it isn't the best browser around although it had some improvements in HTML5, Acid2 etc. It has slower boot up time and SLOW speed not to mention its download bug which sucks too.

CAK Vader
02-01-2015, 12:58 PM
I didn't read a word you said. Woah. Too long. MUCH EXPLANATION.

Trenton
02-01-2015, 03:00 PM
I think you meant to turn this into your 7th grade English teacher

Schnitzel
02-01-2015, 04:34 PM
What about Windows 10?
should i upgrade from Windows7?

Armourslash
02-02-2015, 03:00 AM
What about Windows 10?

Windows 10 isn't released yet so you should go to 8..

Iliketolol
02-02-2015, 03:19 AM
What about Windows 10?

All users with Windows 7,8,8.1 will get free upgrade to Windows 10 for one year... ( maybe a rumour, am not sure)

Astrea
02-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Why there is windows 10 but windows company dont make windows 9 did they just hop?

tHelonestud
02-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Windows 8 is terrible, I have it and prefer Windows 7. Windows 8.1 barely redeemed it.

Huskybird
02-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Windows 9 coming soon

Armourslash
02-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Windows 8 is terrible, I have it and prefer Windows 7. Windows 8.1 barely redeemed it.

Please clarify why.

tHelonestud
02-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Please clarify why.
It basically threw everything returning users were used to out the window(no pun intended).
The whole tile page or whatever you call the home is not very compact making it difficult to scroll through it.

I could see it being an acceptable format for tablets and phones, but it just doesn't work for pc's.
Everyone was used to the old windows interface, why mess it up?

Armourslash
02-07-2015, 03:00 AM
It basically threw everything returning users were used to out the window(no pun intended).
The whole tile page or whatever you call the home is not very compact making it difficult to scroll through it.

I could see it being an acceptable format for tablets and phones, but it just doesn't work for pc's.
Everyone was used to the old windows interface, why mess it up?

Well win8 is more stable and bare this in mind: Lots of windows 8 haters didn't even try it befoe judging.

KingFu
02-07-2015, 04:01 AM

That's the problem a lot of people have. Windows 8 was designed with tablets in mind. That's the reason why every company was coming out with hybrid laptops at the launch of it, because it was optimized for a touch interface. If you use Windows 8 on a standard laptop, it's not gonna be enjoyable.

This thread is like, 2 years overdue though.

tHelonestud
02-07-2015, 04:08 PM
That's the problem a lot of people have. Windows 8 was designed with tablets in mind. That's the reason why every company was coming out with hybrid laptops at the launch of it, because it was optimized for a touch interface. If you use Windows 8 on a standard laptop, it's not gonna be enjoyable.

Exactly, as much as I loved my Zune back in 8th grade, I was not going with any windows mobile devices.
The thing is pc's weren't and still aren't going to disappear, that's why I say it was a terrible decision for the abandoning, the very recognized interface of their most famous/popular platform.

Well win8 is more stable and bare this in mind: Lots of windows 8 haters didn't even try it before judging.

Unfortunately I did, so that's not really a subject to bring here.

Armourslash
02-08-2015, 02:38 AM

Lol ur right.

Debate
02-09-2015, 10:25 AM

After 8.1 came out it is just a matter of whether you are able to adapt to it or not. Surely you can't claim that windows 7 is still better (except for older applications/games in some cases).

tHelonestud
02-09-2015, 08:47 PM
After 8.1 came out it is just a matter of whether you are able to adapt to it or not. Surely you can't claim that windows 7 is still better (except for older applications/games in some cases).

8.1 is actually the windows 7 update, people were just so irritated after 8 they basically had to release another desktop. The familiarity to users is often more important than actual power and features, they are 100% useless if you don't know how to use them. Windows 8 may have been better on paper, but that's not always the judge for people.

Cavoc
02-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Why windows 8 is better than windows 7 -

It's not.

Pirate Captain
02-13-2015, 12:44 PM
I like your words

Motivating
02-14-2015, 04:54 PM
k, windows 8 = Better performance in SOME games, however it's got an ugly homescreen and ugly buttons and ugly everything.
Windows 7 = Better.

Simple, windows 7 wins.

Armourslash
02-17-2015, 02:54 AM
k, windows 8 = Better performance in SOME games, however it's got an ugly homescreen and ugly buttons and ugly everything.
Windows 7 = Better.

Simple, windows 7 wins.

The aero interface is 8 years old about become 9, so yes it may look better but its OLD so thats why MS abandoned it.

tHelonestud
02-17-2015, 10:59 PM
The aero interface is 8 years old about become 9, so yes it may look better but its OLD so thats why MS abandoned it.

Being old isn't a good reason to dump something. In fact if it works well, you should probably keep it.

Wow computers having monitors is a thing of the past lets making it a fun challenge to see if people can click on what they want with no visuals!