PDA

View Full Version : Need Expert advice on mage gear

Keohike
03-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi i am lvl 54 mage and i will be 55 soon, i currently have cosmos set, yes i know lol so i am now looking for 55 lvl gear for mage i wud like ur opionion on which set will be the ideal megamge, sewerqueen, or shadow set. I dont have the money to buy them all and find out the stats lol. Thanks for all your expert info.

Royce
03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Mega Mage is better than Sewer Queen and both are better than Shadows.

Keohike
03-05-2011, 03:48 PM
ummmm ok i take ur word for it it seem u are never wrong lol i hold u to ur word

Royce
03-05-2011, 03:53 PM
If you want specifics, Shadows is just way underpowered compared to MM or SQ in terms of damage and armor so it's not even in the mix. Each MM item has 2 more damage, 2 more armor, and 2 more M/s than SQ, and MM also has a set bonus which SQ doesn't have. All SQ has going for it is good looks and 6 H/s per item which is pretty much useless on a mage. Also with MM, you have several weapon options (Gemstone staff for max damage, Gem Blast Staff for AOE damage, and wands for more defense, etc) while SQ only has the gemstone staff.

Keohike
03-05-2011, 04:08 PM
If you want specifics, Shadows is just way underpowered compared to MM or SQ in terms of damage and armor so it's not even in the mix. Each MM item has 2 more damage, 2 more armor, and 2 more M/s than SQ, and MM also has a set bonus which SQ doesn't have. All SQ has going for it is good looks and 6 H/s per item which is pretty much useless on a mage. Also with MM, you have several weapon options (Gemstone staff for max damage, Gem Blast Staff for AOE damage, and wands for more defense, etc) while SQ only has the gemstone staff.

Ok so ur saying on sq h/s isn't it better to have lower m/s. I check MM and its like 8 m/s but wouldn't it be better to trade the 2m/s for 6 h/s. lol This is probably a noob question.:)

Royce
03-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Ok so ur saying on sq h/s isn't it better to have lower m/s. I check MM and its like 8 m/s but wouldn't it be better to trade the 2m/s for 6 h/s. lol This is probably a noob question.:)

MM does have a ton of M/s, certainly more than necessary with the wand set in particular. However, I would never trade anything for H/s on a mage. It's the most worthless stat for mages IMO. Even just forgetting about the M/s difference, I would trade the 6 H/s of Sewer Queen for the 2 damage and 2 armor of Mega Mage easily.

Keohike
03-05-2011, 05:02 PM
ok thanks very helpful u the man

WhoIsThis
03-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Mega Mage is the way to go for top-end gear.

It's only flaw is that it has no crit. I'd also like to see a bit of dodge, but that would probably make it OP. A less important stat is hit, which although capped, having high hit % means that if you are debuffed (which often happens in PvP), you are still at the hit cap.

KaotiicxDream
03-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Mega Mage got high armor but u lose a lot dps and crit... I say go for Adept (I think) or the other Green mage gear that gives good crit and good damage but u lose armor.. Its up to u if u want Dps or high armor...

Royce
03-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Mega Mage got high armor but u lose a lot dps and crit... I say go for Adept (I think) or the other Green mage gear that gives good crit and good damage but u lose armor.. Its up to u if u want Dps or high armor...

I'm not sure what your talking about. Scraper's oranges are the only ones with more damage than MM. They have 4 more damage per item, and some dodge, but MM has 10 more armor and 4 more M/s per item and a set bonus which oranges don't get. Mastermind is the only one with Crit. It has 6% Crit per piece, but MM has 10 more damage and 6 more armor per piece, as well as more mana regen and set bonuses. Nothing is as good as Mega Mage. See Mystical's post here for all the different gear stats: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?20454-Level-55-Enchantress-Gear-List

KaotiicxDream
03-05-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure what your talking about. Scraper's oranges are the only ones with more damage than MM. They have 4 more damage per item, and some dodge, but MM has 10 more armor and 4 more M/s per item and a set bonus which oranges don't get. Mastermind is the only one with Crit. It has 6% Crit per piece, but MM has 10 more damage and 6 more armor per piece, as well as more mana regen and set bonuses. Nothing is as good as Mega Mage. See Mystical's post here for all the different gear stats: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?20454-Level-55-Enchantress-Gear-List

My fault xD srry ;-) Forget what i said like it never happened -.-'

Royce
03-05-2011, 09:00 PM
My fault xD srry ;-) Forget what i said like it never happened -.-'

Hey don't back down so easy ;) You do raise a good point, which is that, while I would definitely say the MM gear is the best overall, there is much cheaper gear that is also good. Scraper's oranges and Lowman's greens are both decent low budget options, and Mastermind purps are an interesting possibility for PvP where your hit% can be debuffed and Crit can be huge. I think MM is definitely the best overall, but it's nice that players don't have to have the most elite gear in order to be highly effective ;)

WhoIsThis
03-05-2011, 09:23 PM
One thing that is noteworthy is that there is now no end-all, be-all gear. Compromises have to be made. Perhaps a mix and match is the way to go.

Royce - your prediction earlier about there being no "super set" like the cosmos/void/rift era seems to be true. It seems less likely now that there will be such sets, barring the release of a new elite level. That said, I hope that there is an elite level, because the difficulty level in the sewers was lower than I expected.

Instead, there are counterparts. I haven't been here long enough, but according to the more experienced players, it used to be (when 45 was the max) that horus/osiris/isis/thoth were dominant and then there were others like legend and mastery which were a step below. I think what's happening is that the mega mage/fury fighter/raid roach are on top, followed by the sewer king/sewer queen/royal sewer sets. Better in some ways, but not as good overall.

Edit:The exception may be the fury set, which I have no idea what is going on there. It seems to be a bit OP for pallys and not that great for bears.

That said, I'm still debating with myself if the full mega mage set is best for PvP. The set bonus isn't that important, although I'd rather have it than not.

Hullukko
03-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Mastermind is the only one with Crit.

Wrong, see Scrubber's.

Royce
03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Wrong, see Scrubber's.

True but scrubber's has low armor and no M/s at all. Still not as good overall as MM IMO, and again of course, no set bonus.

Echelong
03-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Mega Mage is better than Sewer Queens set with bracer and wand but its also far more expensive. I would suggest to use the sewer queen if you don't have enough money and wait to see if the devs give it a set bonus which is quite possible. This would raise the price of the sewer queens set so I would buy it now that they are cheap.

Hullukko
03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
True but scrubber's has low armor and no M/s at all. Still not as good overall as MM IMO, and again of course, no set bonus.

With the robe the armor difference is indeed too much to be justifiable, but with the cowl and the wand the difference in armor is only 6. And m/s is hardly significant when it's in the thirties anyway. Piece by piece, mm is superios, I give you that. But with once scrubber one still has 30+ m/s and another 25ish (depending on choice of ring), where the trade off has boiled down to 6 to 8 armor vs 6 crits.

In my opinion the 6 difference in crit is a massive damage delta when the average damages that are to be doubled by a crit are in the 200+ range. I mean, if it was, say, 12 more damage instead of the 6 crits, would you still be saying it's worse overall? (I'm not sure 2 is exactly the correct factor for a pure int in his fiftyfives, but it's not far)

Just to be clear here, I'm not saying this or that is the best set. All I'm saying is scrubbers should not be overlooked because of its stats in one single item. The benefits from the last piece of mega gear are smaller than those from the first one, so much so that even the "overall performance" might not favour all-pinks. These new higly polarized items do offer valid possibilities earlier gear didn't. It used to be "shadows set" and "cosmos2" and nothing worthwhile in between. Now the mega mage is in the far end of the defense gear of a pure int and one can walk towards the damage end piece by piece quite should the need arise.

Personally I view the spectrum a little wider than that. I see the pallies with max armor in the armor end and scrubber staffed partial mega in the other and mega wand set is a notch or two to the armor end to my liking.

Royce
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
With the robe the armor difference is indeed too much to be justifiable, but with the cowl and the wand the difference in armor is only 6. And m/s is hardly significant when it's in the thirties anyway. Piece by piece, mm is superios, I give you that. But with once scrubber one still has 30+ m/s and another 25ish (depending on choice of ring), where the trade off has boiled down to 6 to 8 armor vs 6 crits.

In my opinion the 6 difference in crit is a massive damage delta when the average damages that are to be doubled by a crit are in the 200+ range. I mean, if it was, say, 12 more damage instead of the 6 crits, would you still be saying it's worse overall? (I'm not sure 2 is exactly the correct factor for a pure int in his fiftyfives, but it's not far)

Just to be clear here, I'm not saying this or that is the best set. All I'm saying is scrubbers should not be overlooked because of its stats in one single item. The benefits from the last piece of mega gear are smaller than those from the first one, so much so that even the "overall performance" might not favour all-pinks. These new higly polarized items do offer valid possibilities earlier gear didn't. It used to be "shadows set" and "cosmos2" and nothing worthwhile in between. Now the mega mage is in the far end of the defense gear of a pure int and one can walk towards the damage end piece by piece quite should the need arise.

Personally I view the spectrum a little wider than that. I see the pallies with max armor in the armor end and scrubber staffed partial mega in the other and mega wand set is a notch or two to the armor end to my liking.

The thing is by switching out just one piece you lose the set bonus as well. So the overall difference in stats between full MM and MM with 1 Scrubber becomes:

Wand Set:
Full MM: 2 Int, 14 M/s, 6 H/s, 8 armor
MM with Scrubber: 4% Hit, 6% Crit
Sure you raise your damage output slightly, but I cant imagine trading all that armor and regen for just 6 Crit and 4 Hit.

Staff Set:
Full MM: 2 Int, 12 M/s, 4 H/s, 6 damage, 6 armor
MM with 1 Scrubber: 4% Hit, 6% Crit
No one in their right mind would use the scrubber here. The 6 damage is nearly as good in the long run as 6 Crit, and actually probably better against high armor targets like bosses. So there is no real advantage at all to using a scrubber item in a staff set.

utaca
03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I think the neat thing about new stuff is that you can mix and match based on needs. That being said I believe the mega mage to enchanted to be the best set in play.... UTACA