PDA

View Full Version : Mini Dungeons - A New Way Forward

Rannos
05-19-2010, 07:22 PM
I have been talking to quite a few players in game- the players who are playing often like myself- and were wondering if we could reconceptualize the mini dungeons and move away from just an additional level.

Even in the description, they is designed for the top-end of the level limits for each dungeon, so why not test those top-end players with top-end bosses?

Here's the basic idea: a mini dungeon that has all the bosses from the map pack (similar to now), but make it linear and each boss is exponentially (might be too strong a word) harder. This way, those groups that are capable can move further through the zone than pugs are capable, challenging groups to beat the last boss. What do I mean by a challenging last boss? Make it a lvl 40+ boss (in Ancient Swamps).

Loot would improve with the boss that was defeated (i.e. The last boss always drops one tier 1 pink). Loot rules would not necessarily need to be changed prior because the best loot will only go to solid groups using teamwork. Farming, though it can be fun, shouldn't be the best way to get the best loot. Additionally, if someone in the group is too high a lvl to gain experience from the mobs, disable the loot- or drastically reduce the likelihood drops.

This would also separate farming groups from exp groups when looking for a game. If anyone has ideas to add, please do.

TheBaconKing
05-19-2010, 07:27 PM
I like this idea.

I read somewhere on the forums that the devs were looking into implementing a nightmare mode, I think thats what they called it. I just hope with the added difficulty, the loot will be better.

EDIT: Here is what G said

We are considering a couple of options here, but the most bandied-about is this: Resetting the swamps to be more like the Lost Expedition as far as difficulty goes, so people can cruise it the way they can earlier levels, AND coming up with Nightmare-mode which amps the difficulty waaaay up for the hardcores.

You can find the post here. (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1922-I-confess...-I-have-not-being-playing-PL-for-a-long-time.&p=16827&viewfull=1#post16827)

WarMage
05-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Thirding this,

I mentioned it in another post.

I love the feeling of clearing a dungeon that my guild wiped on for week or months.

Rannos
05-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I agree Bacon- the loot needs to be better if it is more challenging. Let casual players enjoy the game, but their loot wont be the same as someone who puts more effort--quality effort--in. That loot gives casual players a reason to spend more time (and money devs!) on the game.

haroldiv
05-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Love this idea so much. I have to assume this would be less strain on your servers too. People making group over and over to farm has to be a lot of code spam hehe.