PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of the timer on elite maps?

regizakirs.rs
02-08-2015, 09:48 PM
I've seen quite a few threads talking about bringing the timers back for elite maps. But honestly what is the point of the timer?
Ladynifft
"Elite Runners"[emoji87]

Serancha
02-08-2015, 10:00 PM
1) It is how the timed run leaderboards are made. The members of the team with the fastest run time each get a banner at the end of the season. Very smexy with an hourglass and the roman numeral of the season on it. For arena, this is the top 25 teams for both pure and enhanced.

2) It keeps people from being bored. If you have a clock on your runs, you can challenge yourself to beat that time the next time you run. It is a method of improving skill, teamwork and overall performance. This is how we get better. When you have no way to measure how well a run is completed, how do you improve?

3) Timers are frequently used by those of us who enjoy testing things and providing suggestions on how to improve the game, based on the results.

To use a current example: How fast, on average, is a run with 3 rogues and a naked warrior compared to 3 rogues and a fully geared warrior, compared to 3 rogues and a rogue who hits nothing? Answers to questions like this are how we come up with suggestions on class balance to improve the game.

Being unable to test on the scaled elites (as opposed to lower elites where mobs max at a specific level) prevents us from gathering accurate data to provide helpful suggestions to the devs. Maps where the mobs do not scale fully are known to have certain glitchiness in them that means results from those maps could potentially be skewed.

regizakirs.rs
02-08-2015, 10:24 PM
1) It is how the timed run leaderboards are made. The members of the team with the fastest run time each get a banner at the end of the season. Very smexy with an hourglass and the roman numeral of the season on it. For arena, this is the top 25 teams for both pure and enhanced.

2) It keeps people from being bored. If you have a clock on your runs, you can challenge yourself to beat that time the next time you run. It is a method of improving skill, teamwork and overall performance. This is how we get better. When you have no way to measure how well a run is completed, how do you improve?

3) Timers are frequently used by those of us who enjoy testing things and providing suggestions on how to improve the game, based on the results.

To use a current example: How fast, on average, is a run with 3 rogues and a naked warrior compared to 3 rogues and a fully geared warrior, compared to 3 rogues and a rogue who hits nothing? Answers to questions like this are how we come up with suggestions on class balance to improve the game.

Being unable to test on the scaled elites (as opposed to lower elites where mobs max at a specific level) prevents us from gathering accurate data to provide helpful suggestions to the devs. Maps where the mobs do not scale fully are known to have certain glitchiness in them that means results from those maps could potentially be skewed.
Great information and thanks. I didn't know about the vanities though.

Serancha
02-09-2015, 12:25 AM
For normal leaderboards they are banners. I guess you can call them vanities, since they have no other purpose than to show off what you accomplished. But they're not full outfit vanities like you get for event leaderboards, if that makes sense.

regizakirs.rs
02-09-2015, 12:48 AM
Gotcha ya

Trollish
02-09-2015, 12:53 AM
no need to add "ya," gotcha is slang for "got you"
gotcha ya would translate to "got you you"
silly

regizakirs.rs
02-09-2015, 02:00 AM
You really like to troll don't ya lol

Magegrimm
02-09-2015, 02:35 AM
silly

Our grammar here is not very correct because we might be from another country, therefore instead of always annoying people and troll around do something useful in your life. In my country we say "Get a life"

Back to topic, Sera explained everything. I always think LB are for the spirit of competition between players and shiny new vanities and banners ;)

Nheedles
02-09-2015, 04:23 AM
Pointless anyways, people nowadays stack there high records, giving no chance for other to get banners and records. I honestly want to see a 1 record rule in time runs.

Stelo
02-09-2015, 07:43 AM
silly

LOL, you're a really funny guy. This made me lol. I look forward to reading more of your posts. +1 to you sir!

Although after reading what you said, I think what Regi said is appropriate. Gotcha like you said, means "got you", but ya can also be translated into "yea" or "yes", so I'm guessing what he meant to say was "Got you, yes/yea."

Trollish
02-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Our grammar here is not very correct because we might be from another country, therefore instead of always annoying people and troll around do something useful in your life. In my country we say "Get a life"
s
Back to topic, Sera explained everything. I always think LB are for the spirit of competition between players and shiny new vanities and banners ;)
so tru man.
i guess dem portuguese play video games to make the world a better place?
silly

Trollish
02-09-2015, 08:05 AM
LOL, you're a really funny guy. This made me lol. I look forward to reading more of your posts. +1 to you sir!

Although after reading what you said, I think what Regi said is appropriate. Gotcha like you said, means "got you", but ya can also be translated into "yea" or "yes", so I'm guessing what he meant to say was "Got you, yes/yea."

you show great promise, young padwan.

Trollish
02-09-2015, 08:06 AM

you show great promise, young padwan.
unsilly.

regizakirs.rs
02-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Brag don't feed the trolls

regizakirs.rs
02-09-2015, 08:37 AM
+10

regizakirs.rs
02-09-2015, 08:39 AM

True so very true
+1