PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Solution to a very VERY controversial subject regarding Elite Level 56.

Pharcyde
03-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I will try to make this thread as easy to read as possible. So to start, I will make a summary of all information involved in this thread.

Summary -

Controversy of Level 56
Information on what happens once level cap is raised
What does this mean for people who have and have not achieved the rank in time?
My suggestion to fix the problem
How this idea can extend the total game play of this game

Controversy -
So the controversy behind the Elite Level 56 is what will happen after the level cap raises. Will there be a random level requiring a insane amount of exp confusing players? Will it be taken away and leaving players who have been working hard to obtain it out of luck? Will the crown(s) be available after the level cap raise and make the former elites look like a average joe? The devs have two choices, leave the cap, and confuse or irritate oncoming players, or take it away and make old and extreme players very mad. So my solution is the perfect solution to make both sides happy.

Info on what happens after the level cap raise -
So here is exactly what will happen once a new level cap comes out.

Level 61 will be the new OFFICIAL Elite Level.
Exp required for 56 will be divided by 10, and return to its normal amount needed to level.
People who have obtained exp while attempting to reach level 56 will be divided by 10. So if you have 75,000 exp, you will now only have 7,500 exp.
The Crown(s) of persistence will be discontinued, meaning they will be a limited time rare item.

What does this mean for people who have and have not achieved the rank in time? -
What this all means is that a lot of people will be angry.

Have obtained the rank in time -
Pros:
Will now have a limited time item the others who are just now joining the game or did not reach the rank will not have.

Cons
You will NOW have to obtain the new Elite Level 61 rank.
The 86k exp you had to obtain, others will now only have to obtain 8.6k, a very large difference in exp required.

Did not obtain the rank in time -
Pros:
Well you no longer have to get 86k exp to get level 56.

Cons
You no longer are able to get the elite helm, and all your work goes to waste.
If you have acquired exp for 56, it will be divided by 10, so many hours of hard work are instantly wasted.

My suggestion to fix the problem
My suggestion would allow players to obtain the elite rank EVEN after the level cap raise.
So while playing in Balefort Sewers, a player can obtain "Credit" specifically for Balefort Sewers. Credit would be retrieved in the same way exp does, except it cannot be used for anything but getting elite. So this means that you can continue onto the new dungeon and level up, BUT you will not recieve credit for it. You may only get credit while in balefort sewers, meaning a player would have to play 86,000 credits worth of balefort sewers to obtain elite.

Once a player has earned 86,000 credits, he may return to the fallen lord in Muck Huvel and do the final "ELITE" quests. They may also get the Crown of Persistence still.

How Credit will work -

Credit would be granted each time a person gets a kill. The values would be the same as exp granted per kill DEPENDING on threat level.
Exp Elixir's would still have the same effects on credit as they do exp, so waters of wisdom grants x3 credit for 5 minutes.
Parties still effect the Credit bonus in the same way parties effect the exp bonus.
Credit DOES NOT affect a players level or gold.
Once enough credits have been reached, the player may talk to the fallen lord and get the "Elite" stuff.
Since the level is meant to be achieved when maximum level was 56, this means that credits needed for elite will raise each time you level. So it still takes just as long to reach, no matter what level you are. So it is still "TRUE ELITE".
Credit can still be obtained after 86,000. Meaning a leaderboard would be available for individual dungeons and people could see the most elite players in that dungeon. (Who plays that particular dungeon the most).
- Edit_Added key point: When level cap is raised, current level 55's exp will be converted into credits. Meaning they loose no progress, the only thing they loose is the exp (divided by 10 to restore to normal amounts). But 100% credit will still be there.

How this idea can extend the total game play of this game -

The Elite Credit system can be applied to all dungeons. So every dungeon in the game will have a elite status and elite item.
Since this adds a new leaderboard, more competition arises, which means more playing for the individual.
Since it gives you the "Elite Rank", you will be able to see a players elite ranks in their avatar. So visual achievements for other players to see.
There would be an overall Elite leaderboard as well, to see the all time elite players, or players who have played the game the most.

Tell me what you guys think, I think this is the perfect idea on fixing the elite rank and avoiding a lot of anger in the future.

Nice, bruh. I like it.
What I thought was confusing was if whether just the guys who were at 55 and were like halfway to 56 could only receive credits from BS, or for EVERYONE.

I say everyone, but right now as it is, if your 55 during the level cap raise and are close to 56. Countless hours of work go to waste.

Not to mention, unless I am reading this wrong or missing something, does not account for the people who did make it to 56 not getting credit for that XP over the new proposed 8600-ish XP for the proposed 56. Am I missing a point somewhere? Would that extra 77K XP we earned be applied to future levels?

Then I totally disagree with this entire post, if that is the case...and so would all the other 56s who spent a lot of time grinding it out. There has got to be some other compromise between the existing 56s and the 55s that are somewhere on the way to 56.

Did I forget to add that point into my thread?

If I understand what your asking correctly, you are asking if current 55's on their way to 56 will loose all progress then no. When the level cap is raised, all exp gained will be converted into credit, so you will be just as close to elite as you were before the level cap. The only difference is your exp will be divided by 10, but you will still have 100% of the credit.

Edit: Just re-read your posts, the compromise is that level 55's who don't make it on time still have to get every single inch of exp from Balefort Sewers. The only difference between the two is that one was under the impression that they were under a timeline, the other has no timeline. Think about it like Cyber. How many people these days are still taking the time to do it? Quite a few, but they still have to go through the entire quest series and put 100% of their time and effort into it. The only difference is they are doing cyber now, vs when it first came out.

Junside
03-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Oh, I didn't know the Crown would be a limited item... ugh. Any idea when they will bring about this change?

Pharcyde
03-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Oh, I didn't know the Crown would be a limited item... ugh. Any idea when they will bring about this change?

Finished the suggestion now, and hopefully they take a long time with the next client update.... No word as to when it will be out.

noobmigo
03-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Nice, bruh. I like it.
What I thought was confusing was if whether just the guys who were at 55 and were like halfway to 56 could only receive credits from BS, or for EVERYONE.

Conradin
03-06-2011, 08:35 PM
great idea- a win win

Pharcyde
03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Nice, bruh. I like it.

I say everyone, but right now as it is, if your 55 during the level cap raise and are close to 56. Countless hours of work go to waste.

Bgandyful
03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
This is very discouraging for players like myself, I'm level 55 with 30,000 xp, I'm trying really hard to grind it out in time..but i feel the hammer about to come down..i WANT NEED that helm..would be upsetting to miss out.

Pharcyde
03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
You know.. I never send suggestions to the devs, I think this will be my ONE AND ONLY suggestion I send to the devs. Since I feel so strongly about this one and it is within boundaries that the devs can do. Not to mention it has advantages in extended gameplay, a problem they are struggling to get currently.

skavenger216
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
This sounds similar to the faction/rep system from WoW. I like it!

Conradin
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
i dont think a new map will come out soon. BS is still new..

Pharcyde
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
This sounds similar to the faction/rep system from WoW. I like it!

Is it? I have never played WoW ;)

Royce
03-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Guys you've got months probably. I really like it better the way it is. This is just confusing and devalues the crown, and the whole point of grinding out 56.

rocket
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I like the idea of adding an Elite Item Quest for each dungeon showing that you have "mastered" the levels. This can be done very simply with the current quest system. Basically just make up a "thousand snowball quest" for each dungeon and the quest reward is an elite item. Maybe make them vanity items so that people will want to use them not matter what level.

To me, the grind to level 56 is not a big deal. I much prefer earning some XP towards level 56 as I farm for my level 55 equipment. If I get to 56 before the next level cap increase, great. If not, no big deal. There will be a new crown of persistance at level 61.

Moogerfooger
03-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Not to mention, unless I am reading this wrong or missing something, does not account for the people who did make it to 56 not getting credit for that XP over the new proposed 8600-ish XP for the proposed 56. Am I missing a point somewhere? Would that extra 77K XP we earned be applied to future levels?

rocket
03-06-2011, 09:42 PM

The extra XP is "lost" for lack of a better term.

Would it have been better to leave the level cap at 55? I actually like gaining XP at 55 as I farm the sewers.

Moogerfooger
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Then I totally disagree with this entire post, if that is the case...and so would all the other 56s who spent a lot of time grinding it out. There has got to be some other compromise between the existing 56s and the 55s that are somewhere on the way to 56.

skavenger216
03-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Is it? I have never played WoW ;)

Yes, very similar. In WoW, each area has a faction associated with it (sometimes more than one). Kills in dungeons of that area award rep points for that faction along with exp, and at different rep levels you unlock different rewards/items through that faction, ranging from vanity items, to pets, to even equipment.

Pharcyde
03-06-2011, 11:02 PM

Did I forget to add that point into my thread?

If I understand what your asking correctly, you are asking if current 55's on their way to 56 will loose all progress then no. When the level cap is raised, all exp gained will be converted into credit, so you will be just as close to elite as you were before the level cap. The only difference is your exp will be divided by 10, but you will still have 100% of the credit.

Edit: Just re-read your posts, the compromise is that level 55's who don't make it on time still have to get every single inch of exp from Balefort Sewers. The only difference between the two is that one was under the impression that they were under a timeline, the other has no timeline. Think about it like Cyber. How many people these days are still taking the time to do it? Quite a few, but they still have to go through the entire quest series and put 100% of their time and effort into it. The only difference is they are doing cyber now, vs when it first came out.

Guys you've got months probably. I really like it better the way it is. This is just confusing and devalues the crown, and the whole point of grinding out 56.

What about the players that join the game a month from now? What happens when they are at 40k exp til 56 and they get screwed over?

Moogerfooger
03-06-2011, 11:13 PM
That is not what I am saying.

What I am saying is this: One of the devs said something along the lines of the new 56 will be roughly 8600 xp, after whatever update. Don't quote me on that, but it was something to that effect. So for the sake of easy numbers, we will say that is about 75,000 xp less than the current 56.

What I am asking/saying is....what happens to that "extra" 75,000 exp, after the update, that all current 56s earned to get to the current 56? Is it applied as credit towards 57/58/etc? I do not see any mention of this in your initial post.

If the suggestions from others are "too bad", then I will disagree one million percent. We spent a lot of time and gold getting to 56, and yes our reward was the Crown of Persistence...which as currently stands is not part of a set and some don't even wear it because of this (Sidenote: this may change with an update, of course). I have nothing against people halfway to 56 getting credit for whatever exp they have gotten toward 56, they should not just lose 20k, 40k, whatever they have ground out and absolutely deserve to get credit somehow for it too!

But there should be some compensation, so to speak, for the people who DID make it to 56 and ground out the obnoxious 83,840 exp. Credit towards the next level or two, if nothing else. That is almost as much exp, if not more, than 1-50 combined. Look at it from a 56s perspective....would you be happy potentially losing out on all of that exp you put time/in-game gold into?

Maybe I am just having a reading comprehension fail and not seeing this in your first post. I am not bagging on your post, it is very well thought out :D I just see something that is possibly not addressed.

Pharcyde
03-06-2011, 11:36 PM
That 75,000 will not be applied to the next level. Afterall, that counters everything the devs are trying to do. The main problem the devs are having is that players are finishing their content way before the next update comes out. So they get bored and quit the game. If that 75,000 exp automatically gets applied, then you will be done with the new client update months before the next one comes out.

You loose nothing though, right now all this exp your getting really isn't exp. Once you pass 8,600 exp, you ARE end level. The other exp in that level is like a bonus to keep you occupied while the next dungeon comes out. As you saw, there are already several 56's at end game. So after 8,600 exp, consider everything you are getting is credits for elite. There would be absolutely no point in having a new elite level, if everyone exp transferred over. They would all already be halfway or more through all the content before they even played it once.

So what I am trying to explain here is that if you find yourself at lvl 55, halfway to 56. Then the level cap comes out, you wont loose 40,000 exp and walk off with nothing. It will be converted into credits ONLY FOR Balefort Sewers and no other dungeons.

I see your argument, I also understand your agrument. I agree with your argument too, but right now as it stands with the devs, it is "sorry, you snooze, you loose". Then they leave you out of 40,000 exp and many wasted hours of runs. So it's hard to disagree with the only option that is being presented that doesn't screw you over if you don't make it in time. So this suggestion is a way of trying to convince the devs to not screw people over of 98% of their exp and tell them tough luck.

Moogerfooger
03-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Sorry, Phar. You make a hella cool signature, but I am going to one million percent disagree with you here, if you are saying that the extra 75k we earned is going to go out the window. Maybe scale it somehow and apply it toward 57/58 but not punch it out 1:1, because that WOULD put us at 60, and partway to 61 (although I read a dev say '60 to 61 is gonna be unfair').

I understand what you are saying about people partway to 56. Absolutely agreed, they should get credit. But I am not talking about that at all, as my main point.

I utterly fail to see your logic about how a current 56 loses nothing, and there are over 100 of us, btw. BS, I say! We lose out on the hundreds of thousands that we spent on elixirs and hours of playing EARNING XP just like every non-56. Granted, those were choices of ours; some of the first 56s spent millions. Also a choice. But to say "Too bad so sad you are no longer elite, and sorry about all that XP you earned and gold you spent, we have to cater to the people who hadn't made it" is...well, I will be nice and you are cool, but I will say "rubbish". And I bet almost every other 56 would agree....we want credit somehow, in some way, for that XP; don't tell us "It was just to keep you occupied for a bit while we think of what next".

Sorry brosef, we will have to agree to disagree. Even if they make the Crown of Persistence part of a set, it would have to be a MONGO set bonus to make it worth losing out on most of the 83.8K XP we ground out.

Pharcyde
03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Well lets think of something together then ;). I completely agree with you, but the flaw in yours is playability. The devs will not sacrifice total game play by giving players exp towards future updates, that just reverses all their thinking and work to make the client last until the next client is out. So like any good idea, there will be flaws and advantages to both.

Mine - A win win for the large majority of the game. But a loss for hardcore players or collectors.
Yours - a win and loss for all players who did not make it to 56 in time. Win is they get exp to next dungeon, loss is they don't get the helm. Oh one thing I just noticed, so if 55's are getting exp applied to other levels, then what about 56's currently? Does that mean the 86,000 exp they acquired goes to waste while everyone else gets boosted?

I'm trying to think of a compromise, but I can't think of anything that will make me (pro unity and opportunity for all), you (should be how it is, but empathy for people in the middle) and the devs (too bad, so sad, we need playability) happy. This is gonna be some tough thinking, what are your thoughts?

Edit: Just thought of something, regardless if I made this thread or not. The devs will be trashing the exp. So if they take my idea, the exp still gets trashed. If this thread never existed, the exp still gets trashed. So that's the main problem directed towards you, is because currently, no matter what, the devs have a big ol trashcan for all the exp when the new client comes out.

Diodge
03-07-2011, 12:29 AM
I read some where that xp is saved by percent. If your half way to 56 you will just be half way to 56 if it is 100xp or 9999999xp..........didnt see the other thread till now saying this................

Im on a potion trip also. I would be 56 but I couldnt play for almost a week now. I choose potions over gear at this point in my gold.
No one told us to spend the gold.

adwin
03-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Dammit, my net died when I was posting. Sooo, once more:

What would probably work, would be an official statement regarding the timeframe for another level cap raise.

IF you're starting now, from lv55, you would need ~1.6g mil in pots only in order to achieve lv56, with total play time totalling ~23h.
That is, assuming you are doing runs in the hideout, where runs range from 3-5 minutes, and the XP gained is ~300.

Moogerfooger
03-07-2011, 01:11 AM
No one told us to spend the gold.

I already pointed this out.

Problem is, Phar, is that some of the hardcore players aka a lot of the 56s, although small in number compared to 55s now, are also some of the most respected players/contributors on here (like Yanis, Phys and Ellyidol and I think Royce has made it), and the devs hopefully note this. Hopefully, there is some middle ground compromise. To all the ppl who didn't make it to 56, well...that was their choice, although like Diodge said, some just couldn't play that much.

As far as 55s getting their exp applied, totally cool. As long as the 56s do in some way as well.

I do not believe in pro unity for all in gaming, sorry. You are I think (at least initially) suggesting that 56s should get nada except a crown that is not currently worth much stat-wise compared to other current gear, but everyone who did not make it should get some XP applied, if I am understanding you correctly. So you propose to help out people who didn't or couldn't or flatout chose not to run to 56, but give the giant middle finger to the people who did, in a nutshell. People get where they are in any game by time spent, plat spent (so to speak), in-game money spent, etc. To hose some of your best paying and community-contributing customers, from the dev standpoint, would be weird business sense.

The only solution I see, if they are going to apply XP for people, is to do it for all 55s and 56s in some way/scale, and make some sort of significant set bonus for the 56 Crowns to make up for any "lost" exp for current 56s. I disagree with your point that the devs ONLY are going to take total game play into account and disregard some of the more hardcore players/contributors. I could be wrong, but it'd be an odd decision.

And in the immortal words of my man Forrest Gump....that's all I have to say about that.

KaotiicxDream
03-07-2011, 01:46 AM
I think the Elite level should stay even after the next level cap.. But the crown should stay too :) Reason: Persons who make new chars now wont get a chance to get the Epic Nice Elite Crown .. Then thousands of ppl will get mad .. Ask yourself this : Do you want 1000+ ppl saying "F*CK YOU!" to you because you are wearing the Crown?

Ellyidol
03-07-2011, 02:11 AM
I get where your coming from Phar. It really is a sensitive topic.

Got me thinking, since 56 (and 61 in the future) are the elite levels, why not make the xp gained from 55-56 transferable to 60-61?

To those that are 56 already, you get an automatic 83k head start on 60-61, and those at about 40k xp (halfway) get 40k at 60-61. That 40k/83k becomes 4k/8.3k when level cap increases though. That way, your xp isn't really lost, but moved on to the next Elite level, which was what you were trying to get from 55-56 anyway. So it's like an Elite xp only.

Devs would just have to put in an extra 83k xp needed for 61 to accommodate the 56 elite xp.

Riccits
03-07-2011, 02:13 AM
i dont understand the problem... my archer is at 70k XP now and i didnt use much xp pots... almost none.. this week ill reach 56 and after i begin mage wich is already 55... i think we have more than enough time to reach 56.. i would stop to play BS anyway after..

Moogerfooger
03-07-2011, 02:25 AM
I get where your coming from Phar. It really is a sensitive topic.

Got me thinking, since 56 (and 61 in the future) are the elite levels, why not make the xp gained from 55-56 transferable to 60-61?

To those that are 56 already, you get an automatic 83k head start on 60-61, and those at about 40k xp (halfway) get 40k at 60-61. That 40k/83k becomes 4k/8.3k when level cap increases though. That way, your xp isn't really lost, but moved on to the next Elite level, which was what you were trying to get from 55-56 anyway. So it's like an Elite xp only.

Devs would just have to put in an extra 83k xp needed for 61 to accommodate the 56 elite xp.

Now there is a viable solution for all 55s and 56s. +1.

adwin
03-07-2011, 02:28 AM
@Elly: this is exactly what he was suggesting and he DOES have a point.
The elite will stay elite, but shouldn't go through the same drag twice. Those who didn't make it should at least once experience the pain if they want to be "elite".
@Riccits: Not everybody is on the same level. Ppl just need a timeframe, so they know if they can make it or not.
Unless I'm mistaken the level cap raise from 40-45 happened in merely 2 weeks.

Moogerfooger
03-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Reason: Persons who make new chars now wont get a chance to get the Epic Nice Elite Crown .. Then thousands of ppl will get mad .. Ask yourself this : Do you want 1000+ ppl saying "F*CK YOU!" to you because you are wearing the Crown?

Too bad. It is like that in any game. I started playing right after Halloween and didn't have a chance to get cool Pumpkin helmets or whatever. I didn't complain, it was just something there for the people who were playing before me.

If they want to be stupid about it and hate on someone who has been playing before them....well, that is what my ignore button is for. To quote another player here: "My Ignore list is staggering" :D

Ellyidol
03-07-2011, 02:35 AM
The elite will stay elite, but shouldn't go through the same drag twice. Those who didn't make it should at least once experience the pain if they want to be "elite".
@Riccits: Not everybody is on the same level. Ppl just need a timeframe, so they know if they can make it or not.

Yeah I get Phar's concern, and I agree.

Honestly IMO though, I wouldn't really like having to grind through specific dungeons to get an elite level for that particular dungeon. It's true, it does add a lot of playability, I just wouldn't want to go through the dungeons I've already been through. I'd rather have a total elite. Again, just IMO :)

Riccits
03-07-2011, 02:36 AM

i think its right that sts gives us early enough the enddate of this level cap (3-4weeks before), so everyone can decide what to do with his chars.

KaotiicxDream
03-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Too bad. It is like that in any game. I started playing right after Halloween and didn't have a chance to get cool Pumpkin helmets or whatever. I didn't complain, it was just something there for the people who were playing before me.

If they want to be stupid about it and hate on someone who has been playing before them....well, that is what my ignore button is for. To quote another player here: "My Ignore list is staggering" :D

Halloween was an event, lvl 56 is the level cap..

Pharcyde
03-07-2011, 08:15 AM
A point a lot of you guys keep bringing up is exp. So let me add another keypoint to this discussion. This suggestion has nothing at all to do with exp. If you hit lvl 56 before cap, you loose all the exp. If you don't hit 56 before the level cap, you loose a huge portion of the exp. Either way, extreme or casual, EVERYONE LOOSES their exp at the level cap. So a compromise would say screw you to the elites, and leaving the crown and elite quests around would not be saying screw you to the elites. The others still have to do all the work.

Think about what the suggested compromise actually does.

A level 56 will start level 56 when the level cap is raised.
But a level 55 that has gotten exp towards 56 will start level 57-60?....

Both, no matter what, still have to do the new elite. One just starts on the elite level.

See how this is unfair?

Also the crown and quests are a part of balefort sewers. Taking them away is taking away overall content. Then the crown isn't a holiday item or promotion, it is part of the game, so why would they take that away for future players to enjoy?

Then my last point is, everyone keeps bringing up "What about the extreme players that put millions into it?" Well... your level 56 months before the client update, and again.. Pocket Legends is a casual MMO. STS is not trying to make some super hardcore game like WoW which requires hundreds of hours of play time and god knows how much money spent in potions.

Ellyidol
03-07-2011, 08:28 AM
A point a lot of you guys keep bringing up is exp. So let me add another keypoint to this discussion. This suggestion has nothing at all to do with exp. If you hit lvl 56 before cap, you loose all the exp. If you don't hit 56 before the level cap, you loose a huge portion of the exp. Either way, extreme or casual, EVERYONE LOOSES their exp at the level cap. So a compromise would say screw you to the elites, and leaving the crown and elite quests around would not be saying screw you to the elites. The others still have to do all the work.

Both, no matter what, still have to do the new elite. One just starts on the elite level.

See how this is unfair?

Also the crown and quests are a part of balefort sewers. Taking them away is taking away overall content. Then the crown isn't a holiday item or promotion, it is part of the game, so why would they take that away for future players to enjoy?

Then my last point is, everyone keeps bringing up "What about the extreme players that put millions into it?" Well... your level 56 months before the client update, and again.. Pocket Legends is a casual MMO. STS is not trying to make some super hardcore game like WoW which requires hundreds of hours of play time and god knows how much money spent in potions.

That's what led me to think of the "Elite xp" only.

Exp gained from 55-56 would be moved to the xp needed for 60-61. A level 56 player would have 83k xp into 60-61 and a 55 player with 40k xp would have 40k xp into 60-61 (which would make the xp in those level ranges "elite xp" only).

The 56 player would start at 56, and the 55 player would start from 4k/8.3k xp into 55.

So in short, 83k xp from 55-56 (the elite xp) + X needed for 60-61 would be "joined". That way, the only real say you lose xp is by hitting the level cap, which IMO is alright since that's the point of having a cap.

Moogerfooger
03-07-2011, 09:07 AM

See how this is unfair?

I still disagree. I repeatedly said that current 56s would keep or have their exp scaled like the 55s right now. My suggested (and now inferior to Elly's) compromise says nothing about 56s getting no exp; I have no idea how you came up with the bullet points.

And Kaotiic, who's to say that the Crown wasn't a bonus/limited item for people who made it to that 56 cap in time? Maybe there will be a different one for 60>61.

Regardless, I still think Elly has totally hit upon the right idea of "Elite XP" that is applied to whatever Elite level someone's working on.

Norbert
03-07-2011, 12:45 PM
You should really read the Advancement Curve Change (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?18276-Advancement-Curve-Changes)s thread carefully. It really covers this pretty well.

"ah 56=elite cap nice something to work towards untill cap increases again. "

That was really all there was to it, then they added the item, which Yanis dubbed Crown of Persistence.

On the whole topic though, I think it's absolutely essential to understand how xp works.

If you are level 1 and it takes 100 xp to get to level 2 and you have 30 xp, what's stored in the database is .300000 (don't know the precision) -- but that means that you're 30% of the way to level 2.

They do not store 30 xp in the database. Nor do the store 53,000 or whatever. It would be something like .7023482342.

With every level cap, your xp will be stored as 0 as you are zero of the way to the next level. All 56s have 0 -- you're zero percent of the way to 57. This is how it worked with every level cap. The fact that it took 83k to get to 56 is irrelevant. You don't accumulate xp as you go from level to level and never have. At each and every level your xp goes right back to 0 percent. It always has worked that way -- expecting 55-56 to be different produces a wild exception that would be even more confusing, not to mention challenging to develop. (I'd rather they produce more content myself.)

However, you will not be losing ANY xp -- you have none. The xp you earned got you to 56. You got the crown. Go back and read the threads discussing the advancement curve linked above. All you get for grinding is the crown. If you don't make it, you don't get the crown. Try again at 61. It was just designed as something for the hardcore to work at while the next campaign was being developed.

It was indeed clearly stated that the crowns would go away. If you don't get the 56, you'll have to wait and try for the 61.

Personally, I don't care to do the grind and am happy with my level 55s. They can still accumulate xp, so I may be 30% of the way to 56 when the cap raises. Nice bonus from the old days where I'd also have that goose egg.

The only nit I have with it is I can't complete all the quests -- two out of my three chars have all quests done except the crown ones, and I wish I could complete everything. Presumably when the cap lifts those four quests will go away too, so that's ok with me.

To me this suggestion sounds way too complex. KISS... If people really want something like this, I'd say remove the extra level and convert this to a quest. I'm not all that fond of that either due to my above penchant for completing all the quests.

Or, if it's leading to unhappy players, just don't do it again at 61 and call it a failed experiment.

I can see that people pushing hard to hit 56 and missing it would be unhappy. I think they just need to understand the risk and make the decision. If they make it, congrats! If not, cei la vie, enjoy the new dungeons. Those of you who already hit it and are expecting something other than the crown just had an unfortunate misunderstanding (again, see above thread).

Moogerfooger
03-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Good post, Norbert. Wish I had remembered to go back and look through that thread, I had forgotten about it.

So if I am reading your post, and then the Advancement Curve thread right...

1. If you made it to 56, here's your Crown, and when the level cap raises you will be at lvl 56.0 on the way to 57.
2. If you did not make it to 56 before the level cap raises, and say you have 41.6k experience towards 56, you get no Crown and try again at 60>61, and you start at lvl 55.5 (halfway to 56, as you were previously halfway to 56 under the 83,840xp days)

When the subsequent campaign is released to raise the level cap to 60 [er, 61], level 55 to 56 will go from requiring 82000 xp to 8200 xp. We just decided to create the elite level cap to allow users to obtain and wear the Crown of Persistence. Also, the Level 56 Crown of Persistence will no longer be an obtainable item.

-ALS

I was not complaining about having zero experience at 56, and having to start at 56.0. What I did have a problem with, was the suggestion that if a 55 with 30K experience towards 56, would get that exp applied in some scalar way to later/new lvl 56/57 in some way but not current 56s. Rendered moot by your explanation, as far as I can tell.

On a personal note, sucks that one can't recoup some of the 83.8K XP in some way or have it as credit, but I do have a shiny Crown...that is not as good stat-wise as some of the new stats and sets, so I am hoping for some sort of set bonus for using a Crown. I will sacrifice live chickens by the dozen in hopes this happens :p

Norbert
03-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks, and yes to 1 & 2.

I definitely understand your desire to have a set with the CoP, makes sense to me. Otherwise it's just a nice shiny item in your inventory... :(

IamBored
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
It's a limited time offer and if you don't get there in time, too bad. It's kind of like blackfriday sale, people camp outside for days to buy their items. If you sleep until noon then go to the store and your item is sold out, you can't complain to them and ask for a raincheck. We also know a week or longer ahead to time before a new release is out anyway.