PDA

View Full Version : Paying Platinum for a recipe...again?

Physiologic
03-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm a little concerned at where crafting is going (again).

When crafting first came out, we had to buy recipes for 10 Platinum each, which was an understandable decision from a company that develops free MMOs - revenue has to be made somewhere. Many free MMOs do have some sort of business model in which you can "buy your way" into better equips, aka paying cash for gear. Unfortunately the PL community did not like this idea and thus all crafting recipes (besides the pinks) became free.

But we see again a recipe that needs to be bought with Platinum - at half the lower rate, though. But surprisingly, there is no great revolt. It's perfectly fine to purchase a recipe for 5 Platinum for a lv 50 weapon, but it's NOT ok to purchase multiple recipes for 10 Platinum from Farrow the Forger.

Obviously, we can't compare lv 50 crafting with lv 55 crafting at all since lv 55 gear is more end-game, and buying your way into end-game gear with cash is horrible. But I can't help but notice the reintroduction of "Platinum for recipes" when there was already a huge outrage earlier. Is it simply the start of conditioning the public into thinking that Platinum for recipes is acceptable?

Royce
03-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Is it also the case that you have to pay platinum (for recipes) to complete all the quests in AO? I've heard so, but haven't gotten into that much yet. Anyway, I think if the crafting is for completely superfluous items (like level 50 pinks, when you can acquire equal or better gear through quests (cyber) and drops (C/V/R and S/D/H)), then it's maybe okay, just another option for people.

Physiologic
03-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Is it also the case that you have to pay platinum (for recipes) to complete all the quests in AO? I've heard so, but haven't gotten into that much yet. Anyway, I think if the crafting is for completely superfluous items (like level 50 pinks, when you can acquire equal or better gear through quests (cyber) and drops (C/V/R and S/D/H)), then it's maybe okay, just another option for people.

Yes - Ramla's quest line (The Ancient Codex, Sewing Destruction, Let's Go Nanotubing, Jewel of Denial) is only activated after the purchase of the Recipe Schematic for 5 plat. So if you don't pay up, you'll forever have 39/43 quests in AO.

I have no problems with paying for gear at all either, but it's just surprising that "recipe for plat" was reintroduced even after a public outrage. However it's just a single recipe for 5 plat, as opposed to tons of recipes for 10 plat.

adwin
03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Have you noticed that there's been increased activity in the forums for some time?

This suggests that a higher number of players are getting emotionally engaged/committed enough, to bother registering and interracting with the community.
For quite a while as well, I've seen more active games, for longer periods of time as well as a higher number of high levels.
What that means, is that these numbers have to be high enough in order for STS to experiment once more on an additional form of revenue.
If you're emotionally engaged, you're more prone to dish out cash than if you weren't. Basic psychology.

Physiologic
03-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Have you noticed that there's been increased activity in the forums for some time?

This suggests that a higher number of players are getting emotionally engaged/committed enough, to bother registering and interracting with the community.
For quite a while as well, I've seen more active games, for longer periods of time as well as a higher number of high levels.
What that means, is that these numbers have to be high enough in order for STS to experiment once more on an additional form of revenue.
If you're emotionally engaged, you're more prone to dish out cash than if you weren't. Basic psychology.

I think of it as conditioning actually. Recipes for plat is a HUGE boost to revenue, it's just that I believe they released too many recipes to buy at the same time, causing everyone to go wtf. But if they leak recipes one-by-one, it's all good - notice how no one raged this time around.

Norbert
03-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I like to get all my quests completed, so am disappointed we have to buy the recipe to open the quests. I've done that with one character, but probably won't with my others, especially since I don't need the weapons and can't sell them or even give them to my kids.

At least the level 56 quests (that require both plat and the drive to get to 56) will (presumably) go away with the next level cap. I suspect these will always be there, so I guess I better get over it and be ok with 39/43.

Royce
03-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I think of it as conditioning actually. Recipes for plat is a HUGE boost to revenue, it's just that I believe they released too many recipes to buy at the same time, causing everyone to go wtf. But if they leak recipes one-by-one, it's all good - notice how no one raged this time around.

I think a big factor in the lack of backlash so far is just that this time it's not end game gear, it's just more level 50 stuff. I do however expect there to be some complaints once more people get close to done all the AO quests and can't figure out why they can't complete them all. Personally I think the fact you have to pay additional plat just to get through all the quests is a bigger problem than just plat for recipes alone. All the basic stuff like quests should be included in the purchase price of a campaign IMO. That's one thing that has always been brilliant about their pricing scheme. The game is relatively cheap to play in terms of getting all the basic content, and then people who get sucked in can spend more if they want on additional features, vanity and luxury type stuff. I really hate to see plat required to access quests...

superglut2
03-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Well im fine with paying 5 plat. BUT i only did it cause of the last quests... Im sure many ppl did the same, thats what i dont like about it that u can only finish the quests when u payplat.

Riccits
03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
iam counter the recipe buying with plat too.... :-/
immagine this weapon would be better than rest of known 50 weapons than ppl with plat has again adavantages... that should never be..
its ONLY 5 plat, but anyway.. its not ok IMO

Physiologic
03-08-2011, 02:32 PM
The fact of the matter is when you're buying recipes with Plat, you're actually buying weapons with Plat (weapons and equips purchasable by Platinum should stay in the Platinum store). There is a big reason why the Mystery armor and helm recipes were free and the weapon recipe was not free - you'd have a public outrage once again if 15 Platinum needed to be used to buy 3 recipes. Case-in-point: the weapon recipe should be given free just like the armor and helm.

Major
03-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Exactly, if it costs platinum for a recipe (which is a weapon in the end), it should be in the store. Too have to pay 5 platinum to finish your quests is stupid. I mean we already paid the 10 plat for the campaign right. I hope this doesn't continue.

StompArtist
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Exactly, if it costs platinum for a recipe (which is a weapon in the end), it should be in the store. Too have to pay 5 platinum to finish your quests is stupid. I mean we already paid the 10 plat for the campaign right. I hope this doesn't continue.

I agree. I am willing to buy most hats or vanity stuff, I buy all the quest bundles but I am feeling uncomfortable buying something to complete a bundle I already paid for. This is a bit overboard. If STS needs people to buy more plats just make squirrel suits (or full body vanity stuff)!

BeardedBear
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
So what's better?

10 plat for awesome, godly low lvl pinks recipes that are selling for 300k+ and have a huge demand?
5 plat for 3 quests and a completely useless pink weapon.

Trick question. The answer is neither.

Tsarra
03-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I bought the recipe, to be honest, because I saw the profit that was made from the last ones.

I believe the devs have crafting all wrong. :(

Major
03-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I believe the devs have crafting all wrong. :(

I agree, like we love the game devs but something needs to change with crafting. Especially when crafting the mega Mage gear lol

adwin
03-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Which would lead to the delicate topic of:
will those who dished out for the recipes, ask for refunds?

Major
03-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Well either way I'm happy with them keeping my plat. However it still needs to be changed somehow. Like if it's a set that you can only get if you spend plat, then that's ok. When you have to spend plat to finish quests that you already paid for....thats not cool lol.

Phoenixking
03-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I wonder how weapon looks like? I want to KNOW!!!!

Lesrider
03-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I was really excited about crafting, until I saw what it's like. It's basically just something for pvp-loving twinks. I think many people just won't bother.

Personally, I have yet to craft one item, because I refuse to take my recipe to an npc just to see what is needed. I can understand going to an npc to actually craft the item, but just to see the list of ingredients needed??? Or am I missing something?

The idea of having to spend extra plat just to complete a quest in a campaign I already bought, completely turns me off. True, the ability to earn free plat makes it a bit better, but I don't want to be forced to use plat just to complete a quest. I liked when plat was only necessary to unlock campaigns, and the rest was purely vanity/optional for those who wished to spend more. And while I may not have bought any extra plat, enough people have spent hundreds, even thousands, on this game, that I would think they could keep it the way they had it. I really don't like where it's going with all these plat items.

Tsarra
03-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Which would lead to the delicate topic of:
will those who dished out for the recipes, ask for refunds?

I won't; I just want it to rock. They can keep my plat as a deposit on that. :)

Aerospacegod
03-08-2011, 09:48 PM
The more ways they get people to spend plat the more people they can afford to pay to make the game better. Pretty sure no one would want to play a mmo that only had a single dev behind it.

You are never forced to buy plat unless you want a new campaign, and even then you can earn free plat or skip to the last one. Compared to to paying $59 for a Xbox game and then monthly for Xbox live, Pocket Legends is CHEAP /rant