PDA

View Full Version : Other games on Android market are name-dropping PL

Jirsted
03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
They're using phrases like "Tired of pocket legends? Then try [insert lame game here]" in their app descriptions. It's genius use of search engine optimization, but it's incredibly lame.

For anyone who doesn't know what SEO is, these people are essentially name-dropping PL so that when you tell your friends to go on the Android market and search for "pocket legends", these other games come up in the results also.

When I first heard of PL and searched for it, PL was the only result that came up. Now 4 or 5 come up and in a few months 40 or 50 will probably pop up.

I suggest we as a community put a stop to this now. Let's all start leaving comments and 1 star ratings on the free apps that do this. Something to the point of "You, sir, are incredibly lame for name-dropping pocket legends to promote your game".

Most of the games that are trying to do this only have 500 or so ratings, so if they got a few hundred 1 star ratings from PL fans, it'd really mess them up and they'll probably stop using this lame tactic.

I don't have an iPod Touch or iPhone, so I'm not sure if something similar is happening on the App Store or not. But if it is, I invite all you iOS people to join my cause as well :cool:

Snakespeare
03-10-2011, 06:00 PM
In App Store, when you search Pocket Legends all you get is PL. More comes up with only pocket or only legend.

Jirsted
03-10-2011, 06:02 PM
That may be because Apple reviews all apps and app descriptions before you can make any changes. They probably don't allow this tactic on the App Store, but afaik anyone can change their app description on android without approval from google. That's probably why it's happening on android and not ios.

Either that or the iOS developers just haven't adopted this tactic of advertising yet.

Slush
03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
cool story bro

Physiologic
03-10-2011, 10:02 PM
There's only 2 apps in the Droid market that references Pocket Legends directly - Crazy Bird (knock-off of Angry Birds) and Cargo! HD. I highly doubt that these 2 apps will detract attention from PL. On the flip side, they're indirectly claiming that Pocket Legends is addicting, and that their games can be as addicting as well. If a user downloads those apps and don't like them, they might go "hey, this app said Pocket Legends is just as addicting, let me try that." +1 for PL.