PDA

View Full Version : DPS vs Weapon Damage

joopiduh
03-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Newbie alert: I know this has been posted before but I can't seem to find it for the life of me!

Which is preferable to have? A high DPS or a high weapon damage? I'm an enchantress who wants to be a bear... if someone will be kind enough to redirect me or even just post it here, I'm in your debt. Cheers.

Physiologic
03-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Instead of DPS vs Weapon Damage, you should be thinking about Crit vs Weapon Damage. Crit is a percent value that tells you how likely you'll critically hit an enemy, or basically do double damage, which I think is as important as weapon damage.

DPS is another story in itself. It's a function of weapon damage and weapon speed. This is always a huge complicated thing to explain to a new person, but try to read section VIII first in this guide (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?16817-Guide-to-Advanced-Mechanics-in-PL-DPS-Crits-etc.). Case-in-point, only look at DPS when you have weapons with similar weapon damage. If you have any specific questions after reading that guide, feel free to ask.

Again, don't look at DPS vs weapon damage - look at weapon damage vs crit.

joopiduh
03-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Cheers kindly! That helps a lot!

Pharcyde
03-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Like Physch said, crit and weapon damage should be compared. When building sets for damage, I always see which one has the highest crit, then look at damage as a secondary. High damage means nothing, when a high crit can turn that extra 50 damage into 350 damage from a crit.

Atila the nun
03-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Something else that I learned from the forums a while back - your weapon damage (and crit %) affects your spell damage. Check your lightning skill damage as an example when you switch weapons. The higher damage weapons boost your spell damage, often these are the slower two-handed weapons. Since weapon speed does not have anything to do with spell cooldowns, a higher damage weapon may have a low dps because of the weapon speed but it will allow your spells to hit harder. I've also found that some of my weapons boost my spell damage more than they should! Try out some things and see what works. I'd be glad to loan you some of the weapons that I've used so that you can experiment with more options. Add me in game and remind me.

Goals936
04-28-2013, 05:04 AM
How can have high DPS. If it's skill, what's the name of skill +DPS ?

dudetus
04-28-2013, 05:11 AM
How can have high DPS. If it's skill, what's the name of skill +DPS ?

Nice.

Redlightning
04-28-2013, 06:56 AM
I'd say DPS obviously ...