PDA

View Full Version : How exactly does PvP work in PL?

Numbers
03-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of trying out PvP, but I don't want to just jump in without knowing if it is in a format I'd enjoy. I've PvP'd a lot in the past, most notably in Diablo II--mainly low level dueling.

From what I've seen, there seems to be plenty of lower level dueling out there, but what exactly happens? Do you join a game, and then instantly it's everyone for themselves unless you state otherwise, or is there some way to keep from being attacked to observe if you choose to?

Really, I'm basically looking for a run down on exactly what goes on in a good PvP game.

Rebel
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Well as of now, it is basically a chaotic mess of spamming skills and waiting for the cooldowns for another combo attack. The fights usually last between instantaneous and around 30 seconds. It depends on what type of PvP you are wanting to try out. Twinking is very popular and you can usually find at least a few matches at level 20, 30, and 35 twinking levels.

As for the actual games. It differs on whether you are playing with other twinks or just random players. If they are random players, you may be able to convince them to 1v1. Otherwise it will be a free for all. Twinking players usually like to play with other twinks, as they can actually talk to each other and the matches are set up and organized. There isn't a way to observe, although I'd like to see that implemented.

Some other PvP info: There are 3v3 or 5v5 PvP maps to choose from. You may want to check out some threads about PvP etiquette if you are looking for more detailed information about how to behave in games. There are also a few guides for specific classes that may help you out starting out. They will give you some hints and tricks, not to mention actual attribute placement, gear equipment, and skills used for a fight.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, just let me know.

Numbers
03-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'd already read the etiquette thread(s). It seems to follow suit with most other games I've played... meaning, "don't be a jerk."

I may wait until the universal cool down hits. From the sounds, there's not a whole lot of strategy involved yet. Just... get close and spam skills, and hope yours do more damage than theirs or they misclick. Also, I don't know the game well enough to have a firm idea of what would suit my play style best. Though, the bottom line is that the fact they have dedicated PvP shows it is a feature that will more than likely grow and be tweaked, so I'm sure I'll be jumping into the fray at some point.

Pharcyde
03-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Right now, it's all about who has the better skill combo and faster fingers.

Plus the only incentive to PvP currently is for the fun of it. There is no reward or rank for doing it.

UikCall
03-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Doesn't that give mages and archers a huge advantage over warriors? I haven't PvPd yet either im, more asking

Australia
03-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Doesn't that give mages and archers a huge advantage over warriors? I haven't PvPd yet either im, more asking

Hence why there are people with dual spec bears, such as me. Talon+shield+stuns from bear skills= win.

Tempest
03-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Why do people love bringing back old posts?