PDA

View Full Version : Mega Mage vs. Sewer Queen's

BlackRyder
03-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Mega Mage set (gemstone staff+without bonus):
36 int, 24 M/s, 184-222 base dmg, 101 armor
Sewer Queen's set:
36 int, 18 H/s, 18 M/s, 174-216 base dmg, 95 armor

If my addition is correct, then these are the correct stats. I didnt use a calculator, so correct me if you see a mistake.

WhoIsThis
03-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Add in the set bonuses for mega mage - it isn't a fair comparison without them.

Otherwise, it's clear that mega mage is the better of the two. The loss in health regen is acceptable, given the higher damage and increase in armor.

BlackRyder
03-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Add in the set bonuses for mega mage - it isn't a fair comparison without them.

Otherwise, it's clear that mega mage is the better of the two. The loss in health regen is acceptable, given the higher damage and increase in armor.

Actually, it is a fair comparison because Sewer Queen's doesnt have a set bonus even if you equip all items in the set.

WhoIsThis
03-11-2011, 11:09 PM
If you have the full mega mage set, you get a set bonus. Sewer Queen doesn't give one. I fail to see how you think that not adding a set bonus gives an apples to apples comparison when in the real game, level 55 mega mage (gemstone staff/helm/robes) does give the set bonus. Even so, without the set bonus, mega mage is the better of the two.

BlackRyder
03-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Yeah, but mages could really use the extra regen for both mana and health

skavenger216
03-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Yeah, but mages could really use the extra regen for both mana and health

YEah, but Mega Mage has higher mana regen,and mages really don't need health regen, they can heal at will ( minus cooldown of course :D ) and if the bear in the group is any good the mages shouldn't take .much damage. I really like the look of the sewer queen set though. Anyone know if a set bonus will be added eventually?

BlackRyder
03-12-2011, 01:03 AM
I have run into so many groups when the bear sucked and either the archer or the mage is tanking, so, i will need it, and 6 M/s isnt much of a sacrifice

j46g629h
03-12-2011, 02:05 AM
I have run into so many groups when the bear sucked and either the archer or the mage is tanking, so, i will need it, and 6 M/s isnt much of a sacrifice

loss of 2 damage, 2 armour and 2 M/S on each SQ gear, it is a big sacrifice

not surprised why the prices of SQ gear drop so fast

BlackRyder
03-12-2011, 02:34 AM
That's 6 each, not much of a difference. Regen is a lot more important to me than armor. The health will regenerate a lot more quickly than it would if you took it away and added the armor, damage, and the M/s

Moogerfooger
03-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Sorry, h/s does you nothing in the middle of a mad mob battle, it cannot keep up with heavy mob damage...but armor can help far more, in those cases where you are getting clobbered. Mana shield, one of a mage's most important defenses, eats a lot of mana...as do party buffs/debuffs if you are casting as fast as you can. Having the extra m/s from the MM set helps. Not to mention if you use the MM gemstone wand, you get extra potential damage from the proc of the wand.

I am not saying one is better than the other....just providing an alternative way to look at it. However, SQ is much cheaper at the moment too.

BlackRyder
03-12-2011, 01:12 PM
The 6 armor will only help you a little, barely enough to count, same for the H/s, but its worth it, IMO. And, yes, it is cheaper right now, but that might change if the devs decide to add set bonuses.

XghostzX
03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm really hoping a set bonus will come out for the Sewers Queen's set. The damage and armor for mega mage set is good, but truly i have no insterest in 2 extra M/S. As you get to higher levels, the damage rate for everyone rises and the extra 2 m/s simply makes the slightest, yet no even noticeable difference. I will in fact say that the 6 h/s you get from every piece of the set does make a difference. I believe you only have around 8 h/s with mega mages set, but you have around 21-22 h/s with sewer's- which i find nice having in situations where your mana is drained from the shield and you need to let your health regenerate.

Also, ever thought of a mix? Don't think it's much effective either, but just an idea.

BlackRyder
03-12-2011, 01:48 PM
And, besides, what happens if you are in the middle of a fight with no pots and your mana shield depleted. M/s doesnt help the cooldown for skills speed up. H/s and Heal is the only way to stay alive, so the H/s does actually make a difference

Echelong
03-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Even without the bonus I like the sewer queen set. I looks different and I really don't need more mana than what it offers at least for BS runs. I am using it with the Crown of persistence since it offers 2 more damage and more armor although don't know why but it only offers h/s which we mages don't need so that's a wasted stat. This is my preference since on damage its pretty much equal and with the crown of persistence I have more armor.

But to be honest Mega mage is the best set unless STS adds a set bonus to the sewer queen set.

And, besides, what happens if you are in the middle of a fight with no pots and your mana shield depleted. M/s doesnt help the cooldown for skills speed up. H/s and Heal is the only way to stay alive, so the H/s does actually make a difference

If that happens then you where not prepared imo. Still h/s is a wasted stat for mages I only care about the rest of the stats h/s is the last thing I want, armor is much better.

WhoIsThis
03-12-2011, 04:25 PM
The 6 armor will only help you a little, barely enough to count, same for the H/s, but its worth it, IMO. And, yes, it is cheaper right now, but that might change if the devs decide to add set bonuses.

6 armor in real battle is quite useful against mobs. That is 6 less damage x the number of hits that you take. Remember, H/s has a delay before it works. The only real class that can take advantage of it is bear because of their high armor and their high hp. Plus bears have high dodge. Dodge is another very useful stat against damage that mages unfortunately don't have much of.

Moogerfooger
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM
And, besides, what happens if you are in the middle of a fight with no pots and your mana shield depleted.

In PvE, if you run out of mana pots during a fight, that is just poor planning :p

WhoIsThis
03-12-2011, 04:39 PM

M/S makes it far less likely that your mana shield will be depleted for mage in the first place.

Heal and drain life are the main ways to stay alive. You should not have to use pots very often as mage - in fact, probably the least of the 3 classes.

BlackRyder
03-12-2011, 05:57 PM
6 armor in real battle is quite useful against mobs. That is 6 less damage x the number of hits that you take. Remember, H/s has a delay before it works. The only real class that can take advantage of it is bear because of their high armor and their high hp. Plus bears have high dodge. Dodge is another very useful stat against damage that mages unfortunately don't have much of.

Bears have so much more armor than pure mages do, so that's why it makes such a big difference.

If you have 18 H/s, then your health fills up a lot faster than you'd think.

In PvE, if you run out of mana pots during a fight, that is just poor planning :p

Yes, but sometimes, you dont even pay attention. Everyone has to have had that moment where they are by themselves, and they run out of both pots and money, in those situations, I'd prefer the 18 H/s over the 6 M/s that i lost to get it.

M/S makes it far less likely that your mana shield will be depleted for mage in the first place.

Heal and drain life are the main ways to stay alive. You should not have to use pots very often as mage - in fact, probably the least of the 3 classes.

When i meant depleted, i was refering to what happens when you use the shield and it times out, then you have to wait for the cooldown process.

Drain life takes a long time to cool down. Heal may be quicker, but if youre surrounded by mobs, your done.

Moogerfooger
03-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Yes, but sometimes, you dont even pay attention. Everyone has to have had that moment where they are by themselves, and they run out of both pots and money, in those situations, I'd prefer the 18 H/s over the 6 M/s that i lost to get it.

Uh.....I have never run out of mana pots on my mage. Ever :p

That's like going to a gunfight with no bullets. Asking for a whuppin'.

WhoIsThis
03-12-2011, 06:35 PM
When i meant depleted, i was refering to what happens when you use the shield and it times out, then you have to wait for the cooldown process.

Drain life takes a long time to cool down. Heal may be quicker, but if youre surrounded by mobs, your done.

Mana shield has a 12 second cooldown and a 29 second recharge. First, you should never use mana shield until your hp is 2/3, if not less. Second, if you aren't confident enough that you can take down a crowd in between mana shield recharges, you should not be charging in. Let the others charge first and follow up.

Consider what you are saying:
Heal on a pure int heals on average, 202 with wand and bracer combo. It has a 3 second combo. Lets allow a bit of time for reaction time and you've got effectively 60 H/S when you want it. You are saying that 30% increase is that significant - and remember, heal is instant. Health regen has a delay. You are going to either have to drink 2-3 health pots right away or die either way in that situation.

As for not paying attention to your mana - it's right below the health bar; I don't see how a person could miss it unless they forgot about paying attention to their health bar too. You need to pay attention to everything - the situation, health/mana bars, and your abilities recharging. No matter what your build and your class, you must pay attention to all 3 and be aware of all 3 at once. In the event that you really don't pay attention to your mana and just your health ... all the more reason why higher mana regen is more important.

BlackRyder
03-12-2011, 07:37 PM
As for not paying attention to your mana - it's right below the health bar; I don't see how a person could miss it unless they forgot about paying attention to their health bar too. You need to pay attention to everything - the situation, health/mana bars, and your abilities recharging. No matter what your build and your class, you must pay attention to all 3 and be aware of all 3 at once. In the event that you really don't pay attention to your mana and just your health ... all the more reason why higher mana regen is more important.

I was refering to the pots....

j46g629h
03-12-2011, 10:36 PM
IMO mega mage set is still the best for int mage even if they add set bonus to SQ
anyway, people like talking about "theory" that makes other people think they are right
but they don't even know your playing style
so if you really like it for whatever reason then that will be fine, no one is right or wrong:D

Inching
03-21-2011, 08:12 PM
IMO mega mage set is still the best for int mage even if they add set bonus to SQ
anyway, people like talking about "theory" that makes other people think they are right
but they don't even know your playing style
so if you really like it for whatever reason then that will be fine, no one is right or wrong:D

500% agree....

Its according to ur play style... for me as an agressive player, I tank even in fornt of bears and take agro most of the time so for me the MM set is a must with 135 base armor and 46 M/s + shield, no mob can usually touch me for the time that my shield is up and even if its down they have a tough time with me EXCEPT the the BS birds.... they seem to snipe me between the eys and i hv trouble with them...

anyway, i do think that a sewer set should have a bonus.... looting the sewer items is as difficult as the MM set so for the same effort they should have a bonus IMO.

EDIT: and since the SQ set is cheap, giving it a set bonus might equalize the crazy CS prices for MM gear... SQ raises up while MM prices come down... win win

HorizonSon
03-25-2011, 05:14 PM
This is how I feel about it, and don't try to confuse me with the true! (LOL)

Speaking in generalities, and each has their own "style", this is how I have summed it up:

For full-int mages, its hard to beat the MM set. Hard to really take advantage of the SQ's HP regen when you don't have much HP to begin with.
For min-int (rest str) and hybrids/duals, the SQ set works rather well. I was a min-int (rest str) build until Lv55; where upon I restat'd to mage/paladin dual. I have, throughout my leveling, being able to continually take advantage of high HP regen stats, due to my large HP pool.

TTFN ;-)

Hullukko
03-26-2011, 02:28 AM

What? You lost 6 damage and 6 armor there, too, mate.

You trade 2 armor AND 2 damage AND 2 m/s per item to h/s with sewer queen. Not one of those tradeoffs is justifiable, not even in your hypothetical "I failed" situation let alone normal circumstances.

To make sewer queen worthy you'd have to argue that point-per-point in normal circumstances:
- h/s is better than armor
- h/s is better than damage
- h/s is better than m/s

Not of one those is backed up by a consensus of a number of experienced mages here, quite the contrary.

The thing that is true is that sewer queen gear is freakishly cheaper.

((For the record, I find it truly odd that yet again they brought us a tradeoff from usefull stats into the most useless of them all. anything but h/s might have made the sewer queen at least a little interesting. I mean, we saw that trade-off with the enchanted crap and neglected it already.))

Hullukko
03-26-2011, 02:38 AM
For min-int (rest str) and hybrids/duals, the SQ set works rather well. I was a min-int (rest str) build until Lv55; where upon I restat'd to mage/paladin dual. I have, throughout my leveling, being able to continually take advantage of high HP regen stats, due to my large HP pool.

"Min-int rest str" is different from paladin or dual str/int exactly how?

If you sacrifice int to str enough to wear str gear you're obviously going for str gear, right? So the the sewer queen argument here is odd. There are only special circumstances where I could think of wearing anything but the str gear as a pally and in those circumstances (e.g. some bosses) you do want the most damage and that's all, and for everything else it's fury all the way.

HorizonSon
03-26-2011, 09:13 AM
"Min-int rest str" is different from paladin or dual str/int exactly how?

If you sacrifice int to str enough to wear str gear you're obviously going for str gear, right? So the the sewer queen argument here is odd. There are only special circumstances where I could think of wearing anything but the str gear as a pally and in those circumstances (e.g. some bosses) you do want the most damage and that's all, and for everything else it's fury all the way.

IE, at level 55:

Min-int (rest str) would be 173 INT and rest str, plus or minus a few here or there.

Hybrid/dual (paladin/mage) would be roughly 139 for both (int/str), plus or minus a point or two.

Fury for Paladin, for sure; but we were talking about comparing the MM and SQ sets.