PDA

View Full Version : Kill counts

asommers
05-20-2010, 07:16 PM
We launched the game with players not receiving any XP but receiving a kill for enemies 4 levels below. We then changed it to also not give you the kill unless you receive XP for the kill. Should players receive a kill for enemies that they don't receive any XP for?

-ALS

Dizko
05-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Nope.

I think it's better the way it is now. People will just run through mega maze and kill everything instantly to rack up the kills - which doesn't really seem right.

I'm not all that bothered either way though.

Xanthia
05-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Absolutely not...this just makes kills mean nothing. Honestly, I think you should wipe the kill counts clean so that everyones kills will be equal and there will be no farming at low levels just to get max kills. However, if you do this, you will need to implement Visible titles instead of just a line that goes across your screen.

TheBaconKing
05-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Absolutely not...this just makes kills mean nothing. Honestly, I think you should wipe the kill counts clean so that everyones kills will be equal and there will be no farming at low levels just to get max kills. However, if you do this, you will need to implement Visible titles instead of just a line that goes across your screen.

Instead of wiping kills, which would give the lower levels an advantage when it comes to increasing their kill count. They should reset them to whatever number of kills it takes to get to their level.. For instance if it takes 2,000 kills to get to level 30, then a level 30 should be reset to 2,000 kills...

I see soo many people running around with 6,000-8,000+ kills and just wish I had played back when the game first came out so I could have that high of a number.

It was a good idea anyways.

Dizko
05-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Reseting it seriously gonna annoy Loso.

That guy has a few tens of thousands of kills.

Xanthia
05-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Reseting it seriously gonna annoy Loso.

That guy has a few tens of thousands of kills.

I honestly do not care one bit, he got most of them in Dark Forest.

asommers
05-20-2010, 07:29 PM
'Kills' and 'xp points per level' are, unfortunately, not directly related, so we can't just say it takes 2345 kills to get to level 12.

-ALS

Esus
05-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I kinda like the set up where if you don't get exp from a kill, you don't get a kill added to your count.

Dizko
05-20-2010, 07:32 PM
'Kills' and 'xp points per level' are, unfortunately, not directly related, so we can't just say it takes 2345 kills to get to level 12.

-ALS

I suppose if you calculate a rough estimate and then reset everyone to that level then it doesn't really matter if its wrong.

Evante
05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
If there is a leaderboard for kill numbers comin up.... I think there should be a reset like Diz is sayin...

PvP
05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
What you could do is something along these lines (feel free to edit it or input different ideas): Kills remain the way they are. However, after you hit the level cap at 35, the XP you recieve from the kills curls over into the next level (you still stay at level 35, perhaps a bar will show your progressive XP). BUT, you only get about 1/3-1/5 of the XP you normally recieve that goes into the next level. This might even be on top of the fact that these mobs would give lower XP in the future. Basically, give us some XP reward for the kills we still get, however minor it may be. Or perhaps be able to trade in the XP past the cap for certain special items that can't be sold for gold. I'm simply brainstorming here, but I think it would be nice to have the kills stay the way they are, yet those of us who are at the cap still get a nice bonus and something that keeps us focused on the game. This would definitely keep many people occupied until the next set of maps/updates are released, with things other then plowing through levels for gold.

TheBaconKing
05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Well then let me just say this, If there is ever a leader board for kill count then kills will NEED to be reset... Wether you can reset to a certain amount, or have to do it to zero, it will need to be done. It just gives an unfair advantage.

For example. We have two players, player A and player B.

Player A started when the game first came out. He got to the level cap, and beginning to farm lower levels to boost his count. Player B started a few weeks later, and by the time he had hit the level cap you could no longer increase your kill count from lower level monsters. Player A is in the number one spot on the leader boards by a good 10,000 kills.

No matter how much you farm, or play, catching up to player A would be very time consuming. You would be at the mercy of groups, you would increase deaths, and in general it would be harder. Player A had it easy. He didn't have to worry about grouping, it took him MUCH less time, and he rarely had to worry about a death.

BestHyun
05-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Well then let me just say this, If there is ever a leader board for kill count then kills will NEED to be reset... Wether you can reset to a certain amount, or have to do it to zero, it will need to be done. It just gives an unfair advantage.

For example. We have two players, player A and player B.

Player A started when the game first came out. He got to the level cap, and beginning to farm lower levels to boost his count. Player B started a few weeks later, and by the time he had hit the level cap you could no longer increase your kill count from lower level monsters. Player A is in the number one spot on the leader boards by a good 10,000 kills.

No matter how much you farm, or play, catching up to player A would be very time consuming. You would be at the mercy of groups, you would increase deaths, and in general it would be harder. Player A had it easy. He didn't have to worry about grouping, it took him MUCH less time, and he rarely had to worry about a death.

I also agree that the kill count needs to be reset due to this important fact.

arbyssauce
05-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Dude, i play this game so much, i love my k/d ratio, i play in HIGHER levels than most people my level do, my kd is 4200/34. I would be so mad if you guys decided to erase it because those of us who actually worked really hard to get to that kd ratio would be let down....

BestHyun
05-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Dude, i play this game so much, i love my k/d ratio, i play in HIGHER levels than most people my level do, my kd is 4200/34. I would be so mad if you guys decided to erase it because those of us who actually worked really hard to get to that kd ratio would be let down....

I also worked hard, but the kills count should have been reset before when kills were no longer counted for monsters that didnt give any exp.

Its just not fair.

Especially when leaderboards come out.

TheBaconKing
05-20-2010, 08:19 PM
It is the right thing to do, that is to reset the kill counts...

The sooner you do it, the easier it will be for everyone too. Just FYI...

arbyssauce
05-20-2010, 08:19 PM
but shouldnt they reward us players who started playing it first? we put the train in motion?

LordRaid
05-20-2010, 08:20 PM
If there is a leaderboard for kill numbers comin up.... I think there should be a reset like Diz is sayin...

Mmm, yes. Even though I worked for my cousin's PL account to train him up and get him a lot of kills, and having many kills myself, I still believe that this is fair: if there is going to be a leaderboard for kill numbers, reset the existing players' kill counts, with a bit of a catch.

Players like Loso have gotten many of their kills in lower leveled areas, but as this opportunity is unavailable to us now, leaving his kill count would be unreasonable. At the same time, because he put time into this, while our kill counts are reset to complete zero, give him somewhere around a 2-3k kill headstart?

Dunno how his kill count compares to his past one that I saw, so I can't say much. But resetting kill counts when the leaderboard comes up is fair; if you want to be at the top, you'll spend more time into becoming the top.

And there MUST be job kill count rankings as well; tanks and mages usually don't get as many kills as archers do.

TheBaconKing
05-20-2010, 08:22 PM
but shouldnt they reward us players who started playing it first? we put the train in motion?

Not if they were to introduce leader boards..

Sorry if you got your kills legit.. So did I, but the people who would be on top of the leader boards would be the people who farmed in the dark forest for weeks before the patch came out that stopped the kills from counting.

BestHyun
05-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Reset! the sooner the better :)

Dbawlz
05-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Ok so i see many different arguements here, I am going to comment and say this kills should NOT get rest (i only have about 5k) and i didnt farm for them. Not that i care in the least if they do get reset BUT....

The key point in this thread is that we have been playing since the game came out. Bottom Line. We put in the time to get our kills and just because you joined the game late SHOULD give you an unfair advantage (not that its unfair) but i mean we have been playing longer so we should have more kills.

Also on a side note i heard a suggestion that you should put a donate button somewhere int he client or on the forums and i think its a great idea maybe even turn it into a rewards program of sorts =)

But anyways yeah stop whining that people have more kills than you that have been playing longer than you lol.....i mean really your annoying

Edit: Whoc ares if someone wasted their time in dark forest farming kills i think they already lost the game if they did that while i was like drinking at a bar or squeezing my girlfriends buttcheeks but thats just me :P

Edatx
05-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Give everyone level * 100 kills. At max level, if the mob would have given you xp, you get a kill.

BestHyun
05-20-2010, 10:29 PM
There really needs to be a consensus for this soon from a dev because I don't want to waste any time if the kills may be reset.

Noob
05-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Completely against resetting kc. Unfair because I started playing before you did? Unfair because I got a lot of kills before they changed the way it worked? These are weak arguments. Can we also make the argument that all PINKS should be removed from everyone's accont. Afterall, pinks were dropping like crazy when the game first came out. I don't think it's fair that someone can have so many pinks because they achieved them before the drop rate was changed. Only fair way would be to remove all pinks from player accts before trade comes out. Once trade is out these people who got their unfair prenerf drop rate pinks are going to have more money then me. OR, they'll have an unfair advantage in pvp because they have better gear that I didn't have a chance to as easably obtain.

I do not think they should take away any pinks, just as I feel they should not reset kills. Just my $.02 sorry for any spelling/grammar errors, sent from my phone.

Justg
05-20-2010, 10:38 PM
PvP is going to evolve significantly with your feedback.

When the time comes, PvP kills will be tracked separately from PvE kills.

Consider it all training until we get the leaderboards in place.

TheBaconKing
05-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Can we also make the argument that all PINKS should be removed from everyone's accont. Afterall, pinks were dropping like crazy when the game first came out.

That is a completely different situation.
You obviously haven't read this thread.

Having a lot of pinks from before the drop rates were changed is completely different. They were all level 30 items, which are not in demand as much anymore.

Kills on the other hand are not items. If there is a leader board for kills then they need to be reset. Hands down, end of story. If the leader boards were introduced tomorrow, the top people would be people who farmed the Dark Forest for hours on end. They could come out with hundreds of kills every hour EASILY. Not to mention it would be months before anyone would EVER be able to catch up to them.

The point of a leader board is to show skill.. Farming monsters 20 levels lower than you is not skill.

If you don't reset the kills then don't bother introducing a "kills" leader board. There would be no point.

Evante
05-20-2010, 10:54 PM
PvP is going to evolve significantly with your feedback.

When the time comes, PvP kills will be tracked separately from PvE kills.

Consider it all training until we get the leaderboards in place.

Does that mean resets in kills and deaths?

asommers
05-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Don't panic, no one said anything about resetting kill counts. I just wanted to know your opinions on getting kills for mobs well below your level. Seems like consensus is it's great the way it is, don't change it.

-ALS

TheBaconKing
05-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Don't panic, no one said anything about resetting kill counts.

Blame Xanthia for that one.. I didn't even think about it until he said something...

Seems like consensus is it's great the way it is, don't change it back.

-ALS

Great news there though!

Evante
05-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Ah... I actually want a reset = ) cuz I sorta started late on this game... and low on kills do to the fact that I didn't have the benefit of grinding out the kills by killing low lvl mobs =)
we'll just have to wait and see how this works out... But you should keep the system as how it is. As for the leaderboard... i'm not rlly sure about just putting who has the highest kills.

SlipperyJim
05-21-2010, 09:26 AM
I just wanted to know your opinions on getting kills for mobs well below your level. Seems like consensus is it's great the way it is, don't change it.
I agree with the consensus. Mobs that don't give you XP aren't a real threat, so they shouldn't increase your kill count. You already have the solution in place, so don't worry about it. :)

Dbawlz
05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
That is a completely different situation.
You obviously haven't read this thread.

Having a lot of pinks from before the drop rates were changed is completely different. They were all level 30 items, which are not in demand as much anymore.

Kills on the other hand are not items. If there is a leader board for kills then they need to be reset. Hands down, end of story. If the leader boards were introduced tomorrow, the top people would be people who farmed the Dark Forest for hours on end. They could come out with hundreds of kills every hour EASILY. Not to mention it would be months before anyone would EVER be able to catch up to them.

The point of a leader board is to show skill.. Farming monsters 20 levels lower than you is not skill.

If you don't reset the kills then don't bother introducing a "kills" leader board. There would be no point.

Your whole post is just wrong man the reason there would be a point is BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING SINCE THE GAME CAME OUT if you want to go farm for hours then start now and stop crying lol. I dont even have alot of kills ill screenshot it to show im not protecting myself but the people with tons of kills spent the time to do it its science. So if you want to top the leaderboards then go kill monsters instead of posting on forums my god. YES YOU

This argument will never end because the people that have less play time or didnt start the game when it was released will continue to bicker with the other people that put the time in to get what they have. Just face it the game was one way and we played the **** out of it and now its another way and WE STILL PLAY IT if your mad or not having fun playing then.....

Sayishere
05-21-2010, 09:40 AM
if there were leaderboards i would 100% say reset all kills

i only have 4k kills which isnt alot, ive seen people with 30k kills

this took no skill, people with time on their hands mind numbingly grinding on mobs

to be honest, i dont care for pve kills and what not, their shouldnt be a leaderboard for PVE kills (i assume pvp kills will be a seperate entity?) if this is the case, PVP kills should be shown on leaderboards because for life of me, why would someone boast about their EPIC SKILZZZZZZSZzorZ from pve. its quite sad actually

not as if pve in this game is challenging

but i like the way it is now, not getting kills for killing lower level mobs

Sayishere
05-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Your whole post is just wrong man the reason there would be a point is BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING SINCE THE GAME CAME OUT if you want to go farm for hours then start now and stop crying lol. I dont even have alot of kills ill screenshot it to show im not protecting myself but the people with tons of kills spent the time to do it its science. So if you want to top the leaderboards then go kill monsters instead of posting on forums my god. YES YOU

This argument will never end because the people that have less play time or didnt start the game when it was released will continue to bicker with the other people that put the time in to get what they have. Just face it the game was one way and we played the **** out of it and now its another way and WE STILL PLAY IT if your mad or not having fun playing then.....

well in some respect i agree, time invested in a game usually is shown via what you have and what you learnt. i.e gear, kill count, knowledge of class

most games like this are all about ego, i mean all online games in general are like that, i mean if there were leaderboards for pve kills i honestly would say reset them since its kind of like abusing a exploit. but this will never happen. i played alot of mmos and one example is when alot of players used basically an exploit to get to highest pvp level, this was later fixed. the new players kept on complaining that it wasnt fair, but the devs did nothing

this example can be used here, morally it would be better to reset the kill count, but it will never happen, but boasting about pve kills in this game is one of the stupidest things ive ever heard

Endless
05-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm pretty sure that the devs posted about how the PvP leaderboard will be seperate from the PvE board. So we will all start at zero on the PvP leaderboard. No need to reset mob kill count. I don't think many people will brag about how many hours they spent in dark forest...

Jaxan
05-21-2010, 09:56 AM
It's good the way it is now. Don't reset and penalize the players who started playing earlier, that would cause mayhem.

nerdherd
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Ok this whole thread has gotten a little off-topic...

In answer to asommers question: I think it's fine the way it is.

Royce
05-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Everyone with a crap kill count thinks that people with a lot of kills did it all farming low levels. That is not the case. I earned the majority of my 10,000 plus kills in LE and AS. If they reset kill counts because of whiney players, I will be angry. Of course most people want to see it happen. Most people don't have a lot of kills. It should have been reset when the rules were changed. Now it seems like it would be very unfair to do so.

Oh yeah, and the counting kills thing is okay the way it is. I think maybe you should get kills and a bit of xp for enemies slightly further below than 3 levels, but it's fine as is.

smokester
05-21-2010, 10:21 AM
okay how about we just all stop arguing and just drop the PVE kill count leaderboard idea all together... since we all have had different starting times and different amount of times invested in the game so just no PVE kill count leaderboard.... however when PVP comes out, the PVP leaderboard will be legit because everyones starting anew so people can't and shouln't complain then if you don't play as much as the devoted players do

Dbawlz
05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
okay how about we just all stop arguing and just drop the PVE kill count leaderboard idea all together... since we all have had different starting times and different amount of times invested in the game so just no PVE kill count leaderboard.... however when PVP comes out, the PVP leaderboard will be legit because everyones starting anew so people can't and shouln't complain then if you don't play as much as the devoted players do

Your missing the point leaderboards dont cater to peoples start playing date. Ever. What planet are you from. so everytime a new player joins a game we should just reset everything so he has a fair chance. get real.

nerdherd
05-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Honestly I don't see why PvE leaderboards are that much of a concern. For me a PvE leaderboard = "who has nothing important to do with their lives and can grind the most?". Then again I suppose any leaderboards could be thought of the same way...*hides and prepares to get flamed*

smokester
05-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Your missing the point leaderboards dont cater to peoples start playing date. Ever. What planet are you from. so everytime a new player joins a game we should just reset everything so he has a fair chance. get real.

where in my post does it say that reset everything... i didnt say a word about resetting can't you read? i said just dont start a PVE leaderboard because its useless and pointless to start one at this time in the game... when PVP comes out the PVP leaderboard is gonna matter though like i said in my post... stop putting words in my mouth

TheDarkElite
05-21-2010, 02:46 PM
I guess you have never really watche his kill count. Since the change was made to the system that only allowed kills in the dungeon of your lvl he has continuosly gone up. He has racked up at least 5k only in swamps.

Dbawlz
05-21-2010, 04:52 PM
where in my post does it say that reset everything... i didnt say a word about resetting can't you read? i said just dont start a PVE leaderboard because its useless and pointless to start one at this time in the game... when PVP comes out the PVP leaderboard is gonna matter though like i said in my post... stop putting words in my mouth

No just no. There is a point to making pve leaderboards because its a tracked stat. Thats MY point to counter your point of them being useless just because you slept on downloading this game brah

Ex. I play baseball so when they start tracking new stats like they do every year they should just not have leaderboards for that because people might get drafted after they start.

Boom

smokester
05-21-2010, 05:03 PM
No just no. There is a point to making pve leaderboards because its a tracked stat. Thats MY point to counter your point of them being useless just because you slept on downloading this game brah

Ex. I play baseball so when they start tracking new stats like they do every year they should just not have leaderboards for that because people might get drafted after they start.

Boom

ok "brah" for your information i didn't sleep on downloading this game wat are you talking about man... my bow bear, which i started around that time of the update where kills wit no exp dont count, has 6991 kills and an archer that i started over after the update because my stats/skills were screwed up has now 4500 kills... and i just started a tank because i got bored and have 2000 kills in three days lmao... pve leaderboards are pointless who wants to brag about how many mobs they killed good for you if you think thats important but whats gonna be important is how many players you've slayed when the new update comes out

BOOM

ojilles
05-21-2010, 05:22 PM
I really don't care either way, but if you're going to have leader boards, one way of completely ignoring this problem would be to have leader boards that are time based (top kills over the last trailing 7 days for example). That way newer players have a chance and any future rule change will last max 7 days on the leader boards.

Dbawlz
05-21-2010, 05:29 PM
ok "brah" for your information i didn't sleep on downloading this game wat are you talking about man... my bow bear has 6500 kills and thats after they updated to where kills in the lower dungeons dont count... and i just started a tank because i got bored and have 2000 kills in three days lmao... pve leaderboards are pointless who wants to brag about how many mobs they killed good for you if you think thats important but whats gonna be important is how many players you've slayed when the new update comes out

BOOM

Im not defending the people that want to brag about the farmed kills they have im just being a neutral party man. I have like prob around 6k kills on my bear which is nothing because i dont farm i play for fun and then when im bored i go to a bar and drink and do other such things BUT you are right its all about pvp man im pretty sure ill be pretty dominant like i was in wow its all about awareness baby and with only two other classes to worry about it will be cake for most experienced pvpers!

Dizko
05-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Honestly I don't see why PvE leaderboards are that much of a concern. For me a PvE leaderboard = "who has nothing important to do with their lives and can grind the most?". Then again I suppose any leaderboards could be thought of the same way...*hides and prepares to get flamed*

Lol yea it doesn't mean much saying something like this. The 'you have no life' arguement lost its punch years ago.

I really don't care either way, but if you're going to have leader boards, one way of completely ignoring this problem would be to have leader boards that are time based (top kills over the last trailing 7 days for example). That way newer players have a chance and any future rule change will last max 7 days on the leader boards.

Yea I agree with this.

HectorCruz
05-21-2010, 07:18 PM

Yes this is a great idea. Have both overall leaderboards and time based leaderboards. Possibly another stat that could be more important than kill count would be kill/death ratio? It should be separated by class probably, since it's probably a lot easier to die with some classes compared to others. As to the original question, keep the kill tracker the way it is now. It is a lot harder to kill crocs than it is to kill zombies, knights, and skeletons; so people should not get credit for killing easier enemies. That being said, if people have already dedicated the time to their kill counts, then obviously they should be allowed to keep them (not part of the question, but apparently has become the question since the thread started).