PDA

View Full Version : [BUG] random disconnections + server load?

adwin
03-12-2011, 01:40 AM
I decided to post this officially, since this has really been getting on my nerves.
This/these issues have become more severe during the last ~1.5 weeks.

- random disconnections
- sluggish play/or fastforward play

As I mentioned in one of my posts some time ago, I really think there is something which needs to be checked with respect to the server. Is your middleware dropping connections (misconfiguration, leading to inability to handle a large amount of reqs/sec)?
Please run a full network diagnostic as well as a stress test (load + connections)

This is NOT an issue with my handset.
1: I play other network and load intensive MMORPGs (for example, dungeon defenders) and have never experienced a disconnection
2: I run a network diag on mine every now and then
3: my gaming platform has no load and/or network issues (htc desire hd with a custom gingerbread build/kernel) - checked load while playing as well as network through a reversed external proxy

In addition:
- ppl in the same party complain with the same issues (do check or grep ppls logs for words like "lag" etc)
- mass rejoin upon own relogin - you can briefly see a very low number of online players, and sometimes low number of open pub games as well, and a spiked increase in the next few seconds when ppl rejoin
- what leads me to believe it's rather an issue with middleware or otherwise:
the network latency is fine; ping rarely spikes up, so technically, this is "incorrectly" referred to as lag by the general community
These disconnections occur even when the ping is ok (mine is 50 < ping < 200; usually stays ~100)

I would be happy if this weren't ignored and waved off.
I'm more than sick and tired of potting only to get disconnected. That's 6k down the drain each time.
And today only I've seen 3 pinks drop in my parties I rejoined, but didn't make it back in time to the boss.
So yes, this is an excellent reason to be driving me mad. ;]

Hope this will/can be worked out soon.

Pharcyde
03-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I doubt it's server load, even cheaper servers that aren't super costly in price and upkeep are capable of managing very large amounts of data at a time. There are most likely other factors affecting your connection and smoothness with the server.

If you have already checked all the recommended fixes to connection problems, then I guess we will find out if it is server side when the universal cool-down time is released. The 0.5 second spell cast delay will reduce a lot and I mean A LOT of server drag.

adwin
03-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I was a linux and network admin, so believe me, I know the drill.
On a side note, do check the posts in the GC proposal thread. The devs saying that this should reduce/eliminate lag basically is them admitting to the lag issue.

Lizardfeather
03-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Here's what the devs say: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?12418-The-infamous-quot-Lag-Spike-quot-server-disconnects-etc.

But I AGREE. I think it's something with the server/mobile device connection and the fact that this has a lot of people (maybe more so than other MMORPGs) and the fact of its Mobileness that makes it disconnect so much. It happens to me even when I'm right next to the wifi box.