PDA

View Full Version : Any help please?

Cmandial
03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Before I Get started, I just wanna say if you all you are going to do is tell me I shouldn't be drinking, please don't comment.

So a few months ago, I went to a party at a friend of mine's house and drank for the first time. To say I overdid it would be a huge understatement. I woke up in the morning hung over, eventually threw up, then went home. This was pretty much what I expected to happen, and I felt fine a little bit later.

Last weekend, I was invited to another party, and figured I'd have something to drink, but whenever I drank something, I would feel my gag reflex kicking in. This continued whenever I would take a drink of something.

My question is has this happened to any of you forumers, and if so, does it always happen? Is there anything I can do to stop it from happening? Thanks in advance

Pharcyde
03-12-2011, 10:55 PM
No, I got grounded from hanging out with friends a few weeks ago, because I got caught throwing a party with alcohol at my house. I had a massive hangover and got sick the next morning, but when I drink again, I don't get a gag reflex.

Only thing I can think of is your body remembers what happened last time and instinctively triggers the gag reflex, since your body knows it's like drinking poison.

DawnInfinity
03-12-2011, 10:57 PM
It might just be your body reacting unkindly to the alcohol because of the previous effects it had on you. It might be the kind of drink you were consuming that is causing you to gag. Did it taste unpleasant as well? Personally, I do not drink, but many of my friends do, so I know a little.

Cmandial
03-12-2011, 11:01 PM
The alcohol tasted fine, it was maker's mark whiskey. Maybe it had something to do with the amount of it that I was drinking at one time? It was about 2 shots per... shot I guess?

Pharcyde
03-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Maybe, are you a beginner? Beginners can't handle alcohol well.

Cmandial
03-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Like I said, it was my second time drinking alcohol, but the first time I had somewhere around 3 beers and 14 shots throughout the entire night.

Pharcyde
03-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Yeah your body is most likely instinctively reacting bad to it. Also I'm assuming your young, your growing and your body is a lot more likely going to reject things that are bad for you and could affect your growth.

Keohike
03-12-2011, 11:10 PM
The reason you have this is because you body is new to alcohol and if your body takes any new substance whether its alcohol or such there will be a reaction due to your body reaction with this new substance. As for throwing up, there could be alcohol left in your body, this can be determined by how much you drank and how long after did you throw up. As for throwing up you will always throw up if you over drink but everyone is different.Also because the body sees alcohol as poison and is rejecting it. Advice don't drink on empty stomach and don't over drink. When you get older you will learn the amount of alcohol intake you can sustain without throwing up.

Keohike

Cmandial
03-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Ok thanks what I'm curious about is why didn't it happen the first time?

Keohike
03-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Ok thanks what I'm curious about is why didn't it happen the first time?

Did you drink more than your first time? Did you drink on empty stomach this time? Also the amount you drink in a hour will effect you but if you threw up when you woke up then this is not of concern.

Pharcyde
03-12-2011, 11:21 PM
I found all the info you will need on the subject.

It's possible for a person to develop a resistance or allergy to a specific food or drink, even one that hasn't caused problems in the past. Many biological, psychological, and social factors influence how you feel when you drink alcohol. How you feel is described in terms of tolerance.

Alcohol tolerance means that after a period of ongoing drinking, on future occasions, consumption of the same amount of alcohol produces a lesser effect of intoxication, or that increased amounts of alcohol are needed to produce the same effect. Scientists refer to tolerance in two categories — functional and metabolic. Functional tolerance is when brain functions adapt to compensate for the physiological and behavioral effects of alcohol. For instance, heavy drinkers have functional tolerance when they show few signs of intoxication, even though they're at an elevated blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level. Metabolic tolerance, which has to do with specific enzymes, is the rate at which the body processes and eliminates alcohol.

Factors relating to metabolic tolerance might help explain why you're feeling sick from one drink. Alcohol is absorbed primarily from the stomach and small intestine and metabolized mainly in the liver by an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH). If insufficient ADH is produced in the liver, the body will not be able to metabolize alcohol. A second enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), also plays a role in metabolism. Some people lack ALDH, which is often associated with facial flushing, sweating, and/or becoming ill after drinking small amounts of alcohol. Recent studies suggest women have fewer alcohol metabolizing enzymes than men. The fact that women typically have higher body fat percentages also causes them to metabolize alcohol differently — in particular, a woman will typically have a higher blood alcohol concentration level than a man, even after consuming the same amount of alcohol.

Other than metabolism, why else might you feel uncomfortable or sick after one drink?

An irritated stomach
Alcohol directly irritates the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, causing inflammation of the stomach lining. Alcohol increases the production of gastric (stomach) acid, and can also cause a build up of triglycerides (fat compounds and free fatty acids) in liver cells. Any of these factors can result in nausea or vomiting.

Sulfites in wine
You mention wine. Wines contain small amounts of sulfites. Sulfites are a natural by-product of the fermentation process that turn grapes and grape juice into wine. Winemakers add additional sulfites to wine to make the wine "last longer" — meaning sulfur acts as a preservative, helping to prevent organisms, such as bacteria, from growing in the wine. Sulfites are also present in a variety of processed and cooked foods. Depending on whether or not someone has a sensitivity versus an allergy to sulfites, symptoms include hives, breathing difficulties, even anaphylactic shock, which is life-threatening. If you think you are allergic, you can find wine without sulfites.

Congeners
Most alcohol contains smaller amounts of other biologically active compounds, known as congeners, which contribute to the taste, smell, and look of a beverage. Drinks containing more pure alcohol, such as gin and vodka, have fewer congeners than drinks with less pure alcohol, such as red wine and whiskey. Drinks with fewer congeners may lead to less severe hangover symptoms, including nausea, than drinks with more.

Other factors that influence tolerance and metabolism include:

Genetics
Studies suggest genetic factors are associated with a person's sensitivity to the effects of alcohol, so it's important to know your family history.

Medication
Alcohol can be harmful, even in small amounts, when consumed in conjunction with certain medications and/or other drugs. To learn more about the interaction of alcohol and medications, check out, "Harmful Interactions: Mixing Alcohol with Medicines," published by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).

An empty stomach
Eating a substantial meal before drinking alcohol will slow the absorption process. If you are drinking alcohol on an empty stomach, that may increase your chances of feeling unwell.

Usually, it takes fewer drinks to become intoxicated as we get older, because as we age, we process alcohol more slowly.

Certain health conditions, such as high blood pressure, ulcers, sleep apnea, and severe acid reflux, require abstinence from alcohol altogether. To give you an example of why health status plays such a major role in alcohol tolerance, consider pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a disease that occurs when the pancreas, an organ behind the stomach, becomes inflamed. Pancreatitis can be acute or chronic, caused by a history of drinking alcohol, go undiagnosed, and if not diagnosed and treated, can cause major complications. This health condition causes acute nausea, and treatment includes total abstinence from alcohol.

Considering the myriad possibilities behind your sudden nausea and lowered tolerance for alcohol, it may be a good idea to visit your health care provider to gain insight into your situation. Students at Columbia can make an appointment by calling x4-2284 or logging into Open Communicator. What has been going on in your life lately? Before you have an appointment you might want to make a list of any recent changes like new medications, other medical conditions, dietary changes, stressful events, and anything else you think could be related. Best of luck feeling better,

Tengotengo
03-12-2011, 11:22 PM
nah, it's a psychological thing. you punished your system with poison, and now it's not letting you do it again by making you sick. As a graduate of Chico State, I know this reaction and fought hard for 3 years to crush it.

Also, being a new drinker and taking a shot of bourbon may have something to do with it. I've been drinking for 17 years and still find whiskey shots kinda hard to do. Also Maker's Mark isn't all that hot. :)

Also...slow the eff down. And if you don't slow down, suck up the hangover. Quit mixing alcohols, don't stuff yourself with beer if you're going on a bender, and if you're going to give yourself alcohol poisoning, do it on your own so a friend doesn't get thrown in jail for your largess.

Cmandial
03-12-2011, 11:23 PM
The first time I threw up in the morning. The second time, I never threw up, or got drunk for that matter even though I had somewhere around 10 shots. I didn't even feel tipsy. I had tequila and some vodka instead of whiskey if that makes any difference.

Keohike
03-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Interesting but i think he want to know why he puke when he woke up and not last time. And even though this answers some questions, it would still be hard to find out. Just go to your family doctor, lol he probably give you an answer to your question. But i think there are a lot of factors so it would be hard to know.

Keohike

Cmandial
03-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Interesting but i think he want to know why he puke when he woke up and not last time. And even though this answers some questions, it would still be hard to find out. Just go to your family doctor, lol he probably give you an answer to your question. But i think there are a lot of factors so it would be hard to know.

Keohike

Eh I'm not sure my family doctor would be too happy with what I'm doing. Especially since I'm still in high school.

Pharcyde
03-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Well Cmandial, it is a common thing for people to have bad reactions to alcohol. Some people just can't tolerate it well and others for some reason loose their ability to drink. Nothing unusual or to be concerned with. If it keeps up, thats a sign you should stay away from alcohol.

Keohike
03-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Eh I'm not sure my family doctor would be too happy with what I'm doing. Especially since I'm still in high school.

Yes that would be a risk, if you really want to know. lol Because im sure he can explain in greater detail and in greater accuracy then any of us or unless someone is a doctor here?

Keohike

Cmandial
03-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Well Cmandial, it is a common thing for people to have bad reactions to alcohol. Some people just can't tolerate it well and others for some reason loose their ability to drink. Nothing unusual or to be concerned with. If it keeps up, thats a sign you should stay away from alcohol.

Yea if this keeps happening I'll definitely be staying away from alcohol.

Yes that would be a risk, if you really want to know. lol Because im sure he can explain in greater detail and in greater accuracy then any of us or unless someone is a doctor here?

Keohike

Do we have a doctor in da house?

Pharcyde
03-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Dawnfinity is a doctor - or at least she can be my doctor any day ;) wink wink*.

Now lets hope she doesn't find this thread :P.

Cmandial
03-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Dawnfinity is a doctor - or at least she can be my doctor any day ;) wink wink*.

Haha she commented earlier;)

Pharcyde
03-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Uh oh!!

;)

Cmandial
03-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Haha *pms Dawninfinity* "I think you should check that thread in off-topic u commented on earlier"

And thanks for the input/help/unjudgyness (yes it's a word).

Pharcyde
03-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Haha *pms Dawninfinity* "I think you should check that thread in off-topic u commented on earlier"

And thanks for the input/help/unjudgyness (yes it's a word).

lol I would be judging myself if I judged you :P. I'm 16 years old and am guilty of drinking several times.

Dawn would most likely laugh and quote it :P.

Cmandial
03-13-2011, 12:00 AM
lol I would be judging myself if I judged you :P. I'm 16 years old and am guilty of drinking several times.

Dawn would most likely laugh and quote it :P.

Yea she probably would:) and I'm 16 too btw haha

Pharcyde
03-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Virtual high-five! xD

Cmandial
03-13-2011, 12:07 AM
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n614/cmandial/e25ffe78.jpg

Pharcyde
03-13-2011, 12:09 AM
http://media.kotaku.com.au/wp//2010/11/high_five.jpg

Cmandial
03-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Omg ur picture is so much more epic than mine. One sec I'll find an even more epic picture.

Cmandial
03-13-2011, 12:16 AM
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n614/cmandial/46a2d5b8.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n614/cmandial/6b7dc9a2.jpg

Pharcyde
03-13-2011, 12:21 AM
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/brandonb3/whale.jpg

Cmandial
03-13-2011, 12:31 AM
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n614/cmandial/f2b117ab.jpg

Pharcyde
03-13-2011, 12:33 AM
http://www.innocentenglish.com/funny-pics/lolcats/high-five-kitty.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo4/seddielove/highfiving.gif

Cmandial
03-13-2011, 12:36 AM
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n614/cmandial/0ecc1892.jpg

Pharcyde
03-13-2011, 12:38 AM
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae59/bookjunkie_13/gifs/ja.gif

Cmandial
03-13-2011, 12:41 AM
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae59/bookjunkie_13/gifs/ja.gif

Lol how u get picks like that?

Pharcyde
03-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Add .gif to the ends of your search.

Cmandial
03-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Add .gif to the ends of your search.

K thanks man. Well I gtg to sleep now got church in the morning. Cya

Pharcyde
03-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Later :P have fun.

Artemis
03-13-2011, 12:51 AM
I never gagged from drinking. I was throwin up from the hang over but not from just drinking.

Maybe, are you a beginner? Beginners can't handle alcohol well.

I would know. Your hillarious! :P

DawnInfinity
03-13-2011, 01:14 AM

^ owned

/tenchar