PDA

View Full Version : Phone recommendations?

Pandamoni
03-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before...I did a forum search and didn't really see exactly what I was looking for.

I currently have Sprint and have a 5 year old phone that is a total antique! I only use it for emergency calling. I've finally come to terms with the fact that I need to replace my old phone and get a smart phone.

I'm trying to figure out if I should stay with Sprint and get an android or if I should switch to Verizon and get an iPhone. My husband is with Verizon and has an iPhone. I'm used to Apple because I have an iMac and we have like 6 iPods so I'm totally comfortable with and familiar with their products. I really like them.

That said, are there any Androids that I could get through Sprint that are comparable to iPhone? I want a phone I can play PL on, that I can do basic stuff like use the internet, IM, take and upload pics easily to Facebook, etc.

My nephew has the Evo but it seems a bit slow sometimes. When giving suggestions please keep in mind that my phone is 5 (!) years old so talk to me like I'm a newborn, lol

Major
03-13-2011, 01:30 PM
I'd recommend an iPhone in the end. Apple rules!

Zeus
03-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before...I did a forum search and didn't really see exactly what I was looking for.

I currently have Sprint and have a 5 year old phone that is a total antique! I only use it for emergency calling. I've finally come to terms with the fact that I need to replace my old phone and get a smart phone.

I'm trying to figure out if I should stay with Sprint and get an android or if I should switch to Verizon and get an iPhone. My husband is with Verizon and has an iPhone. I'm used to Apple because I have an iMac and we have like 6 iPods so I'm totally comfortable with and familiar with their products. I really like them.

That said, are there any Androids that I could get through Sprint that are comparable to iPhone? I want a phone I can play PL on, that I can do basic stuff like use the internet, IM, take and upload pics easily to Facebook, etc.

My nephew has the Evo but it seems a bit slow sometimes. When giving suggestions please keep in mind that my phone is 5 (!) years old so talk to me like I'm a newborn, lol

First thing first. Don't go to verizon and get the iPhone. Sure while the network may be better now. Once people start switching to verizon for the iPhone, it will become more sluggish then AT&T is. How do I know this? I just tried using both from Las Vegas. (Demonstrating a populated area). AT&T was going along albeit slow, but usable. Verizon? It was nearly frozen due to how many people use the Iphone in Las Vegas and the amount of people using Verizon's network. The truth is... Verizon uses over a DECADE year old cell phone technology and charges you premium dollar for it. It just doesn't have the capacity to handle a powerhungry phone such as the iPhone.

You want a smartphone I see?
This is what I recommend:
Iphone 4
Samsung Galaxy S
Droid 2
G2
HTC Thunderbolt
Nexus S

These phones are top notch and should keep you running fine for the next 2 years without feeling like you are outdated.

But... to me it sounds like the Iphone 4 is the way to go for you. Plus, using the Imovie app, it is a breeze making videos (My video entry was edited using this and only took 5 minutes!)

The Android phones while GREAT are not very good with battery life in general. Thinking you don't want a hassle to deal with. The iPhone is the better option.

For a tech geek like myself? I love both platforms and devices. I couldn't choose between them.

karmakali
03-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Im with Verizon and have a Droid X. I wouldn't give up either of them.

-my two cents :)

Only time I ever wish for an iphone is when I want screenshots without having to root my droid.

KingFu
03-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Like Karma, I'm with verizon with the droid X. I had the droid 2 and didn't like it that much at all compared to the X. If you can handle the all touch screen, it should be fine, and work efficiently. Other than that, the galaxy S series are fantastic:)

Pandamoni
03-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Thank you guys! Now I have stuff to research.

bstosnbata
03-15-2011, 11:54 AM
htc g2. battery sucks but overclocking options are worth it.

Junside
03-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Even thought I have a Droid 2 from Verizon, for PL I would think that the iphone is a better choice. And iPhone from Verizon is a very strong deal, except when you get text messages on the Verizon network, you'll experience a halt in data feed for a few seconds, something AT&T doesn't experience. But my friend said AT&T's network was slow as hell, and I saw it too. My phone loaded up pages way faster. The Droid 2 has a Gorilla Glass screen, very durable. But it's real glass, meaning you can get fingerprints on it and it won't feel as smooth as an iPhone's screen. It's difficult for me to slide my fingers around sometimes when the phone gets hot it my hand and my palms get a little sweat on them.