PDA

View Full Version : Is Aion Dead

Leach
05-21-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.massively.com/2010/05/18/aion-1-9-patch-dated-server-merges-announced/

So did Aion kill itself?

I tryed and despised this game a very lack luster player baise, and absolutely ZERO support.

Diz
05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I dunno but I quit a guild I'd played certain MMOs with for 7 years when they decided to go play that piece of garbage. Plus I cannot stand anime so I feel good about my decision to avoid Aion. To be honest with you, no major MMOs look very appealing in the near future. Maybe Warhammer 40k? First Warham sucked though...

Leach
05-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I've taken another look at Age of Conan. I'm a old school gamer back from early Velious days of EQ, so nothing has appealed to me since then. Wow bored me to death, however http://www.massively.com/category/mortal-online looks appealing but super buggy.

Sayishere
05-21-2010, 11:40 AM
I've taken another look at Age of Conan. I'm a old school gamer back from early Velious days of EQ, so nothing has appealed to me since then. Wow bored me to death, however http://www.massively.com/category/mortal-online looks appealing but super buggy.

i was tempted to try age of conan again also, i played it on launch due to its hype, fell short of everyones expectations, but seriously that game had some fun pvp, it seems they have improved alot of things by the looks of it

the only mmo im looking forward to now is SWTOR, only because im a star wars fan and bioware are godly

Leach
05-21-2010, 11:49 AM
I hope so, i wouldn't mind seeing WoW toppled. Not a hater, just believe that game ruined the industry.

Diz
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I played AoC hardcore when it came out. Every single member of our guild, fifty or so, had the exact same experience - finished grinding out in that desert valley, helped build our instanced castle for a day, then immediately realized how borked the sieging system was, how screwed up class balance was [Barbarians 1 shotting everybody], and quit. Every single member. Boring game.

AoC is the entire reason why I do not play betas anymore, out of rule of thumb [besides PL!!!!]. The amount of time and effort invested into a quality assurance hype machine is not worth it, for the vast majority of games.

SWTOR could be alright, I guess. Personally I'm not a big fan of anything Bioware has done, and Star Wars isn't exactly new for MMOs or very exciting to me personally, so I'm a huge skeptic. But it's still down the line and there is plenty of time for it to pick up a lot of steam.

Mortal Online is an even bigger fail than Darkfall [if that is even possible], and I was staff in Darkfall - holy schnikies did that Dev team have no clue what they were doing or WHAT!!!!

Leach
05-21-2010, 12:31 PM
I know Mortal will be buggy and horrid, just call me a sucker for dev teams who try something different.
SWTOR community is what concerns me, will it just be an extension of the WOW community? It might look great and very polish, however who is there target audience? It won't be the hard core gaming community, or players who enjoy a challenging game.

Diz
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Leach as much as it detests you, WoW is certainly an MMO to respect, with regards to the MMO industry at large.

You can say it "destroyed MMOs" but I feel the same way about the game you love so much, EQ. I personally think EQ ruined MMOs because I played UO before EQ came out. You think WoW ruined MMOs because you played EQ1. See how this works?

You cannot deny that WoW has penetrated, no scratch that - created an entirely new market segment in not only the MMORPG market but the gaming market as a whole. Other genres of games have taken cues from some of the smart things that WoW has helped to either innovate or standardize - things like the basic concepts of Pocket Legends .

What really gets under the skin of most people like you [I][HATE to generalize here, but bear with me] is that WoW was the game that ruined your obsessive lustful affair with the cherry popper of your choice, in this case EQ1. It's ok, though, man. Nothing is going to replace EQ1 for you. Ever. But when you get over that and start to just look at other MMOs not as a replacement but as a seperate entity, it becomes easier to delve in without carrying the weight of expectations and various nostalgic baggage. I hope you understand what I'm saying. Every MMOer has this experience, more or less. It bothers you that WoW took a lot of attention from a more 'proper' MMO and community like Velious, and you wish so many casuals had both the perspective and experience you've gained over your years of gaming as compared to some clueless MTV-ified casual WoWer who thinks he's hardcore because he spent 18 months trying to rank up in some past-prime form of an Arena. But WoW can be, at times, hardcore. Vast majority of players and content however... 100% casual.

Dude, Leach. It's gonna be alright, man. We're here for you!

PS - Mortal is like Darkfall on Ice. Including skates, bad music, and frilly pink tutus.

Leach
05-21-2010, 01:09 PM
WoW is the most polished popular MMO of all time.

Every MMOer has this experience, more or less
Completely true, cannot deny the fact that nostalgia effects my option on recent MMO's, this has created a bitterness towards easier games or less community orientated games.
Maybe i phrased this wrong earlier, MMO are community orientated events. When you have an avatar (your character) who is recognized in a community there is a level of responsibility towards that avatar, that connects you to such community. Recently i have witness a disconnect from the players to there avatars, this spreads out towards the community.
This recent shift is bothersome, do players really want to be recognized in the world they play in, or become completely Anonymous with a space they spend so much time in. MMO are going against the grain of recent social media trends, to connect to create a presence seems like bad marketing.

Diz
05-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Casual gamers who are new to the "RPG" experience, or have only played a light RPG, will not be able to immerse themselves in the role playing aspect of a character. I would be willing to say that at least 90% of players in any MMORPG do not understand this distinction, decide to skirt around it, or simply refuse to differentiate between themselves and their character's persona. The majority of characters are really just an extension of an individual player's attitude, disposition, and preferences. For many gamers, it would require too much "acting" to play a character as a different persona than their real life persona. It's just difficult for some people, or they have not experienced it properly [due to playing with other inexperienced casuals in a game like, say, WoW].

But as far as bad marketing is concerned, I don't think there is such a thing anymore. After going to school for business, I realized any publicity can be used for good in the right light. The only bad publicity WoW gets is when an established and respected player on a mature server decides to quit and tries to convince his friends/guildmates/anyone reading their particular server's forum to quit as well. And lets be honest - that's like a drop in a bucket. Jumping ship is the only thing that I see ever having a negative impact on a player-to-player basis. No game has even approached the same plane of existance as WoW, in terms of challenging in their particular market segment. Nothing can kill WoW except a theoretical WoW 2.0; whatever the 2.0 will be remains to be seen.

Leach
05-21-2010, 01:49 PM
The only bad publicity WoW gets is is when a established and respected player on a mature server decides to quit and tries to convince his friends/guildmates/anyone reading their particular server's forum

True true.

Once again i agree, WoWs death will come at its own hands, implosion or 2.0.

In responds to marketing, the trinkets toys and ploys disconnect people from the world created for you to get away. Example Mister T grenade, how did that enrich the environment of WoW.

Diz
05-21-2010, 01:56 PM
I honestly thought the Mr. T grenade was just a funny tongue-in-cheek joke for their TV ad. I had no idea that's actually in the game. I quit right before the first expansion, BC, I'm thinking 2005-2006? Last time I heard there were flying helicopters in the game, which make me weep uncontrollably while attempting to contain outbursts of rage and WTFconfusion. I'm not surprised but then again, that does bring it down to a new level of fail in my book.

Of course I'm going to say it - it is obligatory at this point - the game USED to be cool. There. I said it. That was when it was people like you coming over from UO, EQ, AC and DAOC to say "wtf is this cartoony crap all about. this isn't warcraft!" Well, maybe it wasn't Warcraft, but it was a lot of fun. Until all "those types" showed up... you know who...

Leach
05-21-2010, 02:01 PM
No this isn't England we don't do Tongue-in-cheek!

I honestly thought the Mr. T grenade was just a funny tongue-in-cheek joke for their TV ad

Off topic, DDO did something special with FTP. From the marketing side its working.

Laska
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
I thought this was about Aion not WoW or am I wrong? Anyways is aion really that bad ? I always wanted to try it lol .

Leach
05-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I am surprised anyone read all of that, oh ya its garbage.

Obliteration
05-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Disney toon town, kills all mmos.